Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Proposal to rename Dublin Airport - "Lemass Airport"

Options
  • 12-07-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Are you sure this article didn't appear in the April 1st edition of the Tribune? rolling.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Tom Clarke would be a better candidate in my view.

Michael O'Leary has done more to bring flying within the reach of the average Joe than anybody why not name it after him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Fe*k off FF...

Feck off Michael O Leary too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

They should call it "De Valera Airport". The Irish "Aerfort de Valera" will make some unknowing foreigners think it's in Spain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You definitely won't have people calling it the Lame-Ass Airport. No siree, not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

When will these feckers realize, we have no money. Changing the name of the airport will cost money. If we have learnt anything from the past, it will probably cost more money than originally planned, and we will be further in the red.

You would think he would have the good sense to keep his mouth shut. Well maybe you wouldn't. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I think where airport names are concerned we need to adopt the same approach as Iarnroid Eireann has adopted in relation to the naming of railway stations. Apparently IE were approached recently to name the docklands station after Stephen Gately, but refused on the grounds that some years ago they had adopted a policy of only naming stations on geographical grounds.

This seems to make perfect sense in that it avoids campaigns by political parties, celebrity fans clubs etc. to have airports, rail and bus stations named after these groups personal favourites. If we renamed Dublin Airport as Lemass Airport, how long would it be before it was proposed to name Shannon and Cork airports after prominent former FF figures too ?

Nope, stop it right now. What's wrong with Dublin's airport being called Dublin Airport ? If it ain't broken !!!!

Besides that, surely Noel Dempsey has more important things to be doing with his time than creating monuments to former FF leaders.

I think you can include figures of historical significance to the founding of the state without pandering to party politics or to the disposable celebrity culture. Personally I am not sure if it needs to be named/renamed but if it is going to happen then we should choose very carefully. I would not be completely opposed to Lemass but there are better options than that in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I am against calling Dublin Airport anything else. It just a huge waste of money of having to resign all roadways in the bloody country around Dublin Airport especially in this recession.

If they are building a new Airport then fair enough, or rename Terminal 2 as Lemass Terminal, but not to change existing airports names. What a waste of Tax payers money in this deep recession time. We already have a black hole known as Anglo Irish. Why else do we need more blacks holes!!

Like Lansdowne Road. I will not be calling it after a so call insurance company. I do not want this country main public/sports infrastructures to be called after companies. It will always be Lansdowne Road to me as it got a long history associated with it.

There was an attempt to call Shannon Airport to call it Limerick Airport as Limerick was the nearest city because of International requirements to change airports name to their nearest city. I am against that as "Shannon Airport" is a brand name in itself. I prefer it to stay as a "neutral name" that most people like, as it serves the Shannon region, not just Limerick city.

Any politician/public/private body who wants to do this should pay out of their own money, not Taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

limklad wrote: »
    I prefer it to stay as a "neutral name" that most people like, as it serves the Shannon region, not just Limerick city.

That makes no sense for international visitors. The River Shannon is a not insignificant length and so it is not immediately obvious to visitors where the airport is.

At the very least, calling it Limerick Shannon Airport would be more helpful and better marketing for Limerick city and the Midwest region (as opposed to a small insignificant New Town and the entire length of the river, most of which isn't really in the airport cachement area).

Zoney wrote: »
    That makes no sense for international visitors. The River Shannon is a not insignificant length and so it is not immediately obvious to visitors where the airport is.

At the very least, calling it Limerick Shannon Airport would be more helpful and better marketing for Limerick city and the Midwest region (as opposed to a small insignificant New Town and the entire length of the river, most of which isn't really in the airport cachement area).
    Shannon region is a far bigger region than just Limerick City.
    Attaching Limerick to Shannon Airport will never ever rise Limerick Marketing. Only Us Limerick people can do that.
    Next thing You probably mention that the City Councillors will try to annex Shannon Airport next!!!

I have Talk to many Foreigners in many countries over the years even to people who have never left their country. When I say I am from Limerick, They bring up "Angela's ashes" or "Stab city". "Does it always rain in Limerick? like the book says" they say to me. Even a Turkish immigration officer brought up when he saw Limerick on my Passport, had a similar question when I was half asleep trying to get through.

I mentioned that I am flying back to "Shannon Airport". They the whole mention the various the counties from Mayo, Galway, Limerick to Kerry & Tipperary and start quiz me on them.

For the Airport sake AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT KEPT OPEN, I keep Limerick as far as away from Shannon Airport name. Otherwise it would kill it for sure.

Edit: Limerick City already got an airport. It call "Coonagh Airfield". The City Annex it from the County. You can rename that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'll just repeat what I posted in politics on this proposal:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This proposal is unnecessary, Dublin Airport works absolutely fine - well, the name, not the airport itself. biggrin.gif

Something tells me though that this silly proposal will garner a lot of support, as people's paper-thin sense of nationalism rises to the fore yet again.

There are far more fitting and sensible ways to honour someone's legacy than an expensive and unnecessary exercise in re-branding something that works perfectly well.

For example, since this man is widely regarded as a man who did a lot for our economy, if we really wanted to honour his legacy, perhaps we could've run the economy properly.

There's a thought now, if FF wanted to really honour Lemass they could wind-up their damn party, as he must be rotating in his grave at the way they have run the country into the ground. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Kahless wrote: »
    You definitely won't have people calling it the Lame-Ass Airport. No siree, not at all.

Haha yea, especially not Americans cos there great at pronouncing Irish names :P

On the idea of the rebranding, I think its a complete brainfart by the minister. As previous posters have mentioned Lemass isnt know outside Ireland, itll cost a fortune to resign EVERYTHING: signposts, websights, stationary ect...There isnt a second airport in Dublin so no need for differentiation (eg Dublin Int/Dub City airport might be confusing)

The government keep telling eveyone that all thier attention is focused on getting the economy back on track, but the cabinet seems to have plenty of time to waste on this crap.

If Lemass was known for making good decisions, he should not be honoured with a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

If we are going to rename the airport can we just rename it back to it's original name: Collinstown

Of course FF*%kers wanted to rename the Dargan bridge in Dundrum to the "Seamus Brennan memorial Bridge" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

The best name for Dublin Airport is "Dublin Airport".

In Munich the "official" name of the airport is Flughafen München-Franz Josef Strauß, Munich Franz Josef Strauss Airport.
    Franz Josef Strauß is a now deceased former Prime Minister of Bavaria.

This Airport is seldom referred to as this. Otto Normalverbraucher/Sean Citizen just says Munich Airport.
    Calling an airport after a politicain IMHO is pointless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

well i think Cork Airport should be called after Michael Collins anyway seeing as its his home county and in fairness he gave his life for our freedom..
    id go with Pearse for Dublin and as much as i hate to say it ,id go with De Valera for Shannon... :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dubhthach wrote: »
    If we are going to rename the airport can we just rename it back to it's original name: Collinstown

I'd see that as being the most likely outcome if we do ever get a second airport (Dublin Collinstown / Dublin Weston); just like Heathrow used to be "London Airport".

• Advertisement

John C wrote: »
    The best name for Dublin Airport is "Dublin Airport".

In Munich the "official" name of the airport is Flughafen München-Franz Josef Strauß, Munich Franz Josef Strauss Airport.
    Franz Josef Strauß is a now deceased former Prime Minister of Bavaria.

This Airport is seldom referred to as this. Otto Normalverbraucher/Sean Citizen just says Munich Airport.
    Calling an airport after a politicain IMHO is pointless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Airport

A bit like naming railway stations after politicans/patriots. When did anybody last ask for a train ticket to Mallin or Clarke stations? Nonsense undertaken during the reign of that 'great' railway man Todd Andrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IMO i really think that they should rename Dublin Airport after a great dubliner, similar to John Lennon Airport in Liverpool.

How does "Stephen Gately International Airport" sound :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A bit like naming railway stations after politicans/patriots. When did anybody last ask for a train ticket to Mallin or Clarke stations? Nonsense undertaken during the reign of that 'great' railway man Todd Andrews.

Thing is most people might have an idea where those ones are. Well Mallin anyway... Daly and MacDiarmada on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

We may as well just rename the ****epile of a country, "BERTIE AHERNSVILLE" while we're at it.

Where do these FF dipsticks get off.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

charlemont wrote: »
    well i think Cork Airport should be called after Michael Collins anyway seeing as its his home county and in fairness he gave his life for our freedom..
    id go with Pearse for Dublin and as much as i hate to say it ,id go with De Valera for Shannon... :cool:

Read the Beano instead of the history book.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

This country is truly run by cowboys. Yee-haw y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I've never even heard of "Lemass"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

:mad:

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    IMO i really think that they should rename Dublin Airport after a great dubliner, similar to John Lennon Airport in Liverpool.

How does "Stephen Gately International Airport" sound :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Stephen Gately International Airport would be more apply better than lemass with no disrepect to Stephen but you get the message.

You get screwed from behind, screwed in the front and then get T&C rammed down your throat and get rapped of your money from overpriced car parking and by the the "low cost airlines" by them them changing the fine print in their T&C.
    Any time I get through that airport, I just getting the feeling raped, abused and felt like a sheep without actually been raped. Very stressful. Of all the airports I gone through that airport is the worst.

Advertisement