Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Chuileog wrote: »
    What he said.

Come on now - give us a bit more than that!

To express 'What he said' sentiments we have the 'thanks' button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I'm really into technical, intricate bands like foals, redneck manifesto and minus the bear. Problem is really good stuff is hard to find- recently have been enjoying enemies and adebisi shank but I'd kinda like to listen to that kind of stuff, except with lyrics.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm really into technical, intricate bands like foals, redneck manifesto and minus the bear. Problem is really good stuff is hard to find- recently have been enjoying enemies and adebisi shank but I'd kinda like to listen to that kind of stuff, except with lyrics.

Any suggestions?
    You might like Polvo, the daddies of math rock

If you liked that get their Today's Active Lifestyles album

Zero1986 wrote: »
    You might like Polvo, the daddies of math rock

If you liked that get their Today's Active Lifestyles album

Brilliant, thanks for that. Right up my street. Reminds me of Drive like Jehu a little bit, but a bit more subdued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

Steely Dan Gaucho

Donald Fagan The Nightfly

Joni Mitchell The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

The Blue Nile Hats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Brilliant, thanks for that. Right up my street. Reminds me of Drive like Jehu a little bit, but a bit more subdued.

Might like these too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

Kent, Nick Cave and the almight smiths

Kent, Nick Cave and the almight smiths

Please recommend an album from the bands and give reasons if possible. We're trying to avoid this turning into a 'list thread'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but The Nationals latest album ' Hight Violet' is a superb listen. Was lucky enough to catch them at Glastonbury this year.. Matt Berninger is intense and crazy!

I'd recommend Cursive's 'Domestica' to anyone, it's fantastic. Shift dynamics, intricate guitar riffs and incredible songwriting (the whole thing's based on the breakdown of a relationship, but steers well clear of the self-loathing teen emo thing, the use of language and metaphors is masterful in itself without the brilliance of the music).

Impossible to namedrop similar bands, cos I genuinely can't think of anyone they sound like...just buy or download it and enjoy from first track...you get engulfed in the story. Genius.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

Please recommend an album from the bands and give reasons if possible. We're trying to avoid this turning into a 'list thread'.

Sorry here goes..

Kent, album called kent, brilliat band, best song on the album 'Nothing Ever'

Nice Cave and the bad seeds-Your Funeral.. my trial

Husker Du- Album: Last Speed Record and Everything falls apart. Because they are amazing.

The Smiths-Album:Meat is Murder, The queen is dead,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

All right another one, Ive been having trouble finding quality new bands to listen to of late.

Some of my favourite bands are The Libertines, Brian Jonestown Massacre (mid/late 90's), Stones (60's/early 70's) and I'll throw in Velvet Underground and BRMC to define it a bit better

Basically I'm just looking for bands that have a sort of psychadelic/country & blues sound (or whatever you'd call it?) but I cant find many that I genuinely like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭spikeprint

Chemicrazy from That Petrol Emotion is a smashing album.

Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead from Dublin band The Jimmy Cake is also great, for fans of post rock.

Geogaddi from Boards of Canada is super electronica music, as is most albums from Plaid (especially Not For Threes and Double Figure)

Homogenic from Bjork, just because its great.

Deja Vu from Crosby Stills Nash and Young, great old music.

Entroducing from DJ Shadow, one of the best albums of the ninties.

Most Yo La Tengo albums, I love Summer Sun the most.

All Nine Inch Nails albums up until The Fragile. I love Trent, he makes good music.

Some of those could already have been mentioned but I only just noticed this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

ok,so i gotta get some new tunage on my ipod.dont know what to get though so i want suggestions...
    im into stuff like the national,two door cinema club,kasabian,vampire weekend,wild beasts,phoenix,the virgins....that kinda stuff

so suggest away people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Hiya lads.

I'm looking for some new bands to get into but am having a bit of trouble finding any good ones. :D.

I always listen to Klaxons, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, Vampire Weekend, Bloc Party, Mumford and Sons, the Killers and Hurts.

Just looking to try and broaden my horizons somewhat. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Based on the bands you've listed, here's a few things I reckon would be worth checking out that you might like-

Death Cab for Cutie- We have the facts and we're voting yes.
    Les Savy Fav- The cat and the cobra
    Manchester Orchestra- Like a virgin losing a child
    We Were Promised Jetpacks- These four walls
    Minus the Bear- Menos el Oso
    Pretty Girls Make Graves- Good Health
    This Town Needs Guns- Animals
    The Twilight Sad- Fourteen Autumns and fifteen Winters
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell

All good indie records, and most of those bands have a good few records so plenty to check out if you do like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Decatur84

band of horses. infinite arms and everything all of the time.
    passion pit. chunk of change and manners.
    biffy clyro. only revolutions. infinity land. puzzle.
    yeah yeah yeahs. it's blitz. show your bones.
    we are scientists. with love and squalor.
    wilco. blue sky blue.
    spiritualized. let it come down. ladies and gentlemen. a and e.
    sonic youth. confusion is next.
    tom waits. the heart of saturday. closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Decatur84 wrote: »
    wilco. blue sky blue.

Sky Blue Sky ;)
    Decatur84 wrote: »
    sonic youth. confusion is next.

Confusion is Sex ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Husker Du- Album: Last Speed Record and Everything falls apart. Because they are amazing.

Haven't listened to Land Speed Record but they've better albums than Everything Falls Apart. Warehouse: Songs And Stories, in particular, boasts a plethora of brilliantly poppy songs. Just mentioning that one because it's always overlooked and deemed to be in the shadow of New Day Rising, Flip Your Wig and Zen Arcade.

Everything Falls Apart (And More) is well worth checking out as well but it's not really as accessible as their later work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bantics

not sure if someone has said these yet but
    matt & kim- Grand
    clap your hands say yeah - Clap your Hands say yeah
    elbow- leaders of the free world
    regina spektor- far, soviet kitsch...and begin to hope
    yeasayer- all hours cymbals and odd blood

just based on what yeh like already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bantics

oh and the national, any of their stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irish_hotspur

check out Band of Horses Infinite Arms excellent album

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ciarannestor

The Greatest, by Cat Power.

Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

time+the+revelator.jpg
    Not a single bad track on it. One of the best albums of the noughties, if not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

^^^ My above post was meant for the thread titled "Albums with no Filler", but see now that they are merged, but the same thing anyway. :) Every single track on it is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

Frightened Rabbit - Sings The Greys
    Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
    Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Just from this year:

The National - High Violet
    Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
    Beach House - Teen Dream

Other honourable mentions from recent years: Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago, Grizzly Bear - Yellow House, Arcade Fire - Funeral, Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake Its Morning, The National - Boxer/Alligator, Deerhunter - Microcastles, TV On The Radio - Dear Science...

There's been quite a few, just off the top of my head.

We have literally the exact same taste in music haha. Saw Deerhunter in whelans there last year. they were great! Cant wait for the national and fleet foxes at EP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ruddellmander

Messe Malins, The Fine Art of Self Destruction is an excellent album. Folky,Punky,Rocky..really good noise!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Messe Malins, The Fine Art of Self Destruction is an excellent album. Folky,Punky,Rocky..really good noise!!

That's Jesse Malin for anyone interested.

• Advertisement

Menomena - Friend and Foe
    Menomena - Mines

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of these guys but their last two albums I think have been just phenomenally good. (See what I did there? ;))

From the Friend and Foe opener Muscle'n Flo until Intil the closer on their latest release Mines they'll pull you in completely with a sound that puts them out there on their own in the world of indie rock. To me they sound original, fresh and inspiring and at the same time comfortingly familiar. And I really don't know why that is because I can't namecheck a current band that they could ever be mistaken for.

No word yet on an Irish date in their near future but since they're in the UK in early December, let's hope they make the jump across to visit our shores.

Here's the aforementioned opening track from Friend and Foe:

Advertisement