Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N59 - Oughterard to Clifden [Phase 1 under construction]

• 05-07-2010 1:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like O Cuiv's PR has been on the sauce....and there is a sop to the greens too, cycles lanes begod. Only parts of it need realignment, there is a good stretch from Maam to Recess.
    Works planned for the N59 Oughterard to Clifden road will be discussed this week. Connemara councillors will gather at County Buildings at Prospect Hill in the city on Thursday to discuss the plans, estimated to cost 52 million euro. It'll mean the realignment and re-surfacing of the road aswell as the provision of cycle lanes. The National Roads Authority has sanctioned the funding for the project which is to be fast-tracked and completed within two years.

They send some prelim tenders out in April, eg eg2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What a load of nonsense. At least bypass Moycullen first or put the 52 million into a Galway bypass pot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The AADT around Maam Cross is only 3100 a day (2009) . Longford probably sees more cars daily than there are in all of Connemara west of Oughterard and €52m would go a long way towards bypassing it.

They have been reviewing the Moycullen Bypass for years, €1m spend paper chasing since 2007 on a bypass they designed in 1998 :(

Forgot to mention , the funding is coming from a "Tourism" Road Scheme of some sort run by the NRA and part funded by some funds other than DoT ones. The slightly busier N86 in Kerry and one or two other roads are to have some work done too 10-20km worth ....allegedly.

I believe this money is coming , in the main , from the Common Agriculture Policy and the Clár scheme and not from Dempsey at all :) I will believe all this when I see diggers digging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Connacht Tribune Article from Feb 2010
    Millions to be spent on rocky road to Connemara
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/11058-millions-be-spent-rocky-road-connemara

I personally am delighted by this news as I travel from Dublin to Roundstone regularly. Some sections are pretty good, near Maam Cross and the Clifden side of Recess, and some sections near Clifden have been straightened recently. The worst section is the few miles on the Galway side of Oughterard, and also the bit just after Recess beside the lake. I agree that the Moycullen Bypass should be a major priority, but I can't see this happening before the Galway Outer Bypass Scheme is given go ahead, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/moycullen-by%11pass-could-be-delivered-in-2-years/

Work on planning of the moycullen bypass is ongoing and is much more likely than the city outer ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Maybe fast-tracking the N69 Limerick-Foynes stretch would be a better idea than spending money on the N86 and N59 schemes if your looking at it from various national secondary routes point of view.

tech2 wrote: »
    Maybe fast-tracking the N69 Limerick-Foynes stretch would be a better idea than spending money on the N86 and N59 schemes if your looking at it from various national secondary routes point of view.

You are not looking at it from a "various secondary routes" point of view at all. You are looking at Tourism Routes which also happen to be secondary roads of which 2 have been selected for some class of upgrade perhaps....or just more FF/Green smoke and mirrors BS with an FG/Lab coalition eventually chopping them with extreme prejudice.

Like I said elsewhere, the funding for these is a hodgepodge including Common Agriculture policy funds which likely could not be used on any old secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is never going to be seen as a good thing given that the majority of the population live nowhere near it. For the locals it'll be a great thing although god only knows how much use the bike lanes will get. I've been on that road recently and it's a death trap for anyone unlucky enough to come accross an impatient overtaker. Even worse when it rains as badly as it did when I was down last, everyone was trundling at 60km/h no more no less.

Don't forget also that a lot of tourists use this route, and good impressions go a long way. I'm not saying it should be prioritised over bypassing Galway though.

I've read on another forum that there are lots of red flags and markers laid out on the section of road between Oughterard and Maam Cross that look like they are something to do with road realignment. Apparently the company that did the works on the road near Clifden have won the contract to do this section. Great news if they are getting started already. Where would I find maps/plans of the works to be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The AADT around Maam Cross is only 3100 a day (2009) . Longford probably sees more cars daily than there are in all of Connemara west of Oughterard and €52m would go a long way towards bypassing it.

They have been reviewing the Moycullen Bypass for years, €1m spend paper chasing since 2007 on a bypass they designed in 1998 :(

Do you travel the road regularly? I travel from near Clifden to Galway City twice a week and often travel large parts of that stretch during the week going other places, all year round.

This time of year the traffic isn't bad. But, large parts of the road are in woeful condition, there is also a lot of standing water on the road during wet weather, especially on the long straight stretches through Recess, which is ironically where most of the safer overtaking opportunities are located. The lane leaving the City heading West is in worse condition than the lane heading East. Usually trucks are loaded heading to Connemara and empty on the return for the most part.

In summer time the road is really quite busy. Often due to the volume of oncoming traffic I cannot overtake Mr & Mrs Smith from the Mid West USA admiring the scenery (and fair play to them for visiting) doing 60kph and braking at every corner and sheep. That leads both inexperienced and impatient drivers into doing stupidly dangerous things. We've all seen that happen all across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There's some photos of the 3.8km realignment that opened on the N59 during the summer. I haven't been out to Clifden in couple of years so didn't realise they were doing any work on the road.

http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/102/project-page.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

dubhthach wrote: »
    There's some photos of the 3.8km realignment that opened on the N59 during the summer. I haven't been out to Clifden in couple of years so didn't realise they were doing any work on the road.

Traffic lights were a nightmare. There were three sets, all with extremely long delay times. People were traveling miles out of their way to avoid them.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Do you know where I would find the plans for the Moycullen Bypass? There is nothing here. http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/
    Should it not also be possible to find more info on what sections of the N59 are going to be improved, or is this sort of thing kept secret ;-)

Do you know where I would find the plans for the Moycullen Bypass? There is nothing here. http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/
    Should it not also be possible to find more info on what sections of the N59 are going to be improved, or is this sort of thing kept secret ;-)

No, the original plans are pre the website and pdf era we live in. The redesign is being done by the Roscommon Roads Design office I think, check with the Galway office in Ballybrit, they will have a name and number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dubhthach wrote: »

I only ever travelled that road once, but remember the scary lake to the side.

Did anyone ever come a cropper there?

And looking at the design info, its GREAT to see theres no hard shoulders on that stretch
    (aka a hybrid driving lane / parking lane / turning off the road lane / but mainly something for the TDs to impress the locals with whilst the rest of the road is crap - lane)
    but it does include a layby and it is a very decent width.
    In short, its a suitable road for the location.
    Sweet.

Heres a bit from the pdf linked on the willis website.
    The carriageway width was designed to new DMRB design standards for low-flow rural roads with a new carriageway width of 7.0m with a 1.5m grass verge. The design was classed as a pilot scheme build for the new DMRB design standards.

This scheme together with the Moycullen Bypass which is in permanent design to keep some NRA staff allocated have been allocated €3m between them in 2011 by Pat Carey.

I suspect EIS and Geotechnical ( both) to be completed in 2011. This scheme ( IIRC) must go to construction in 2012 if the European funding for it is to be drawn down.

This project went to a hearing last week and from what I hear it is not EVEN a Type 3 SC road becuase the council have made a balls of it BY DESIGNING A NON STANDARD ROAD. Maybe they invented Type 4 SC

What are standards for if not to be followed eh??? It appears the pavement width is SUBSTANTIALLY less than 7m, note the standard. :(
    TYPE 3 Single Carriageway ( T3SC ) = 1.5m Verge + 0m HS + 3.5+3.5 Carriageway + 0.0m HS + 1.5m Verge = 7m Pavement and 3m Verge

Seemingly the verge is 1m each side and the carriageway is nearer 6m. Unsurprisingly the council will restrict the speed limits on this turd of a thing to 80kph. Not worth wasting money on IMO. :(

Has anyone heard any updates on the proposed N59 improvements west of Oughterard? Over the last few years all the bridges got widened which is a start I guess but I have seen nor heard anything since.
    Also, the works going on in Moycullen are not for a bypass it would seem, just a widening of the road on the Galway side, which was badly needed, but it would be great to get some news on the long proposed bypass.
    Thanks
    Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I heard the Moycullen Bypass will open shortly ( i.e. 2 months) after nuclear fusion becomes a reliable electricity power source ( i.e. in 25 years time)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Connacht tribune, amateur one sided journalism at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

marno21 wrote: »

From that article
    “If I had my way, we would leave Europe. We never died of hunger before 1972"

Now I'm no historian, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There was even a suggestion that Ireland leave the European Union because there was so much of the county designated as environmentally sensitive and there were a number of major infrastructural projects scrapped as a result.

Dear lord. I mean I don't even know what to say. All to do with pearl mussels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Astonishing article. Imagine what the country would look like without the checks and balances you get from the EU. They would have the whole of Connemara suburbanised if they were let.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement

Advertisement