Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI has been updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

So updated they appear to have a motorway from Gort to Athenry that hasn't even been started yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

N8 and N7 south and west of Portlaoise are wrong.

Actually, it's littered with errors. N/M18, M18 junction numbers, old N6, N75, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Apparently a few miles of the old N8 between Durrow and Urlingford have been dug up and removed.
    Waterford bypass is under construction even though the M9 is shown as finished
    Apparently every motorway overbridge on the completed M18 to Athenry is of motorway standard
    And there is no junction with the M6
    And the M17 runs straight into a narrow country lane
    The M4 is all wrong in Lucan as is the N4/M50 junction
    The N3/M50 junction is wrong

And I cant be bothered nitpicking any more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

At least they managed to get the Gort Interchange right, it shows what a mess it's going to look like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What's cool though is hovering over a town, and switching between the 1995-2000-2005 images and seeing roads, housing estates and business parks just appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The old map is still up: http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=#V1,608334,648202,1

About the errors, though: Why can't the state's mappers get it right? We are looking at the map at a very large, relatively undetailed scale, and they've still made a bags of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks like every layer is a render off vector data now as compared to scans of printed maps like before. Was handy to be able to see the full Discovery series for its additional symbols...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Very good OSI , very good. Absent the still missing c.1907 era 25 inch map that was taken down some months back this is an absolutely excellent resource. I don't miss the discovery series at all and I totally forgive you the celtic fatcat era aerials. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Any ideas on how to find the dates on the historic 6" & 25" maps?

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Any ideas on how to find the dates on the historic 6" & 25" maps?

I reckon 1840-1845 on both. Check the extent of railway lines in Dublin and Cork ....the first was Dublin Kingston in 1835.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I reckon 1840-1845 on both.

No, the 25" must be 1907 at least in places. In athlone I see St. Kieran's Terrace, which was built in 1905. Not visible in the 6".

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Very good OSI , very good. Absent the still missing c.1907 era 25 inch map that was taken down some months back this is an absolutely excellent resource. I don't miss the discovery series at all and I totally forgive you the celtic fatcat era aerials. :)

The 25" is the 1907 map, it's not a 1846 map anyway, however I hope they don't remove the discovery series and leave it as a layer.

Edit: it's a 1905 map - Surveyed in 1904, I Just checked some old maps I have the attic.

The discovery is there , that funny looking 'wind' map is based on it :)

The 25 inch was not there last night but is now , as I do not care for the discovery I now declare the osi map complete and the best resource out there :)

just bookmark http://maps.osi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I like the beta map @ 1:5000 scale

Pity it's littered with errors on the bigger scales...

@Sponge Bob

the pukey looking 'wind' coloured map doesn't do the discovery series justice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

One thing I hate about the OSi maps is the depiction of National Secondary roads. The daft green/white broken line looks like "road under construction" - per any other map I've ever seen.

Is this ugly solution unique in the world of mapping?

I now declare the osi map complete and the best resource out there :)

just bookmark http://maps.osi.ie/

And now Bing has upped the ante.

The OSI has a 1973 Aerial series which was shot at 15000 feet while the later 1995 2000 2005 ( and a partial in 2010 not online) were shot at 20000 feet.

15000 feet = 1:30000
    20000 feet = 1:40000

But Bing as I understand flew lower than that and the Bing aerial series from 2011/2012 is almost complete. Here is a very interesting piece on all aerial photography series up to 2008.

The National Monuments people hasve a very good but non digitised collection from 1950 or so, shot by Cambridge University and the Air Corps.

The Geological survey of Ireland has a 1:30000 survey from the mid 1970s.

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Archaeology/Aerial_Archaeology.pdf
    "The GSI collection is available for viewing purposes only; copies of photographs are available from the OSi which is currently scanning the images for GSI. The collection can be accessed during normal office hours, and there is a viewing charge of €13 (Student €4). An index for the photographs based on the National Grid is also available. A search service is provided, with simple stereoscopes available to assist viewing. The majority of users are archaeologists. Although there are no records of actual figures, this pattern of use is reported to be very marked, and is borne out by comments from archaeologists themselves. Several have noted the relative ease of access to the GSI collection, compared with the OSi. Many archaeologists also ask to use the Air Corps photos taken in the 1950s, although that set is not complete national coverage."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Should the 1973 aerial photos be viewable on the website as I don't see them? Would be amazing if they were there!

I'd love to see them, they _should_ be higher res than 1995 and would be a great historic record.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I want to see if my house was there or not, I'm slowly getting closer to winning a bet that it was built in the 1960s when I have someone insisting it was late 70s ;)

(have found a newspaper clipping with someone using the same street as their address in 1975 already; and it hasn't got a planning file - assuming that Kildare CC has put all their planning files back that far online, which it does seem so)

Advertisement