Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft 2 strategy

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Am watching quite a few replays to try glean some strategy for the release. I didn't play the Beta so am going in as a SC1 vet.

Am finding the TotalBiscuit cast very good as they are easy to watch and don't get bogged down in technical details and nickames for build orders. The US casters seems to do this more. Maybe if I watched from the start I would be better at the technical knowledge.

TotalBiscuit: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7766553
    Thats a great 2 hour group of replays. He has about 4-5 games there. A nice collection.
    His ustream site also has the Grand Final (and semis) of the recent British Irish Open.

Day9 commentary: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6896573
    This guy is also brillant. This video is a self critique of a game he played where he should have won but didn't realise he was in top position and thus didn't push hard enough. Great way of thinking and a great way of learning from your own mistakes.

Obviously the Zerg/Zealot/Marine Rush is eternal. I had a look at the proposed 7 Pool Zerg rush on 3v3 and its counter on YouTube.

The early Reaper harass looks like something that suits my playstyle.
    The Phoenix harass as Protoss looks fun too.

Any of our Beta vets able to offer any build orders or tactics to the new (er) players among us?

EG: Reading the TeamLiquid forums this is the basic Terran opening,

10- Supply Depot
    12- Barracks
    13- Gas refinery
    15- Orbital Command
    16- 1st marine
    From there you go double rax, double gas or factory. Reactors on the rax for tons of marines. Gas needed for marauders. Factory for mid-game units. Starport needed for medevac.
    Marines, marauders and medevacs are a very solid army to aim for. Or go with an armoury and tech labed factory to make a dash for Thors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Watched a video earlier that had essentially a Banshee rush in TvZ.

Build was:
    10 Gas
    11 Rax at choke point
    11 Factory at choke point
    11 Starport
    11 Tech Lab on rax
    11 OC
    11 Supply
    11 Banshee

Bansheee immediately goes to the Zerg mineral line as player queues up another banshee. Zerg had no anti-air. Terran player had 5-6 marines behind his wall to fend off zerglings while a couple of SCVs repaired teh buildings getting hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Watch Day9s videos. He is a very good at explaining how to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Agree with above, watch more Day9, he breaks it down very well, head and shoulders above everyone else

I think rather than focusing on the exact build orders, its prehaps better to get a 'feel' for the new macro in the game, leaving things more flexible.

Possibly the best decision I made was to play 'random'. Helps with building recognition, timing, spotting builds, applying counters, feeling out the weakness of each race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Noob question - can you explain what the number beside the build order stands for ? ....seconds into the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Noob question - can you explain what the number beside the build order stands for ? ....seconds into the game
    Number of workers if memory serves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭rzelky

Dacian wrote: »
    Any of our Beta vets able to offer any build orders or tactics to the new (er) players among us?

[not a vet] www.teamliquid.net - EVERYthing is there, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

aw man! watching those replays has really got me all excited for sc2, i've not played the beta, but i'm playing 1v1's in the ole wc3 and i'm doin alright, i can feel the rust chipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Learn to use the Protoss they rock

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Xios wrote: »
    aw man! watching those replays has really got me all excited for sc2, i've not played the beta, but i'm playing 1v1's in the ole wc3 and i'm doin alright, i can feel the rust chipping away.
    Same here. Am playing SC1 with 1v2 AI to try to force me to remember how to play. Losing 50% the time but could be worse. Only 3 weeks to get those finger clicks in working order.

Total War doesn't really instill a sense of speed..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

nah dacian, ya gotta play humans, the AI in starcraft is tough, but it's not the real thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement