Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bus to should we use to get to Marlay Park

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Heading to the Green Day gig on Wednesday and we're looking to get a bus out there. Don't want to use the concert bus as it doesn't leave town till 4 and we want to be there before the gates open at 5.

I've heard the 16 heads out that way and stops at Elm Park (Marley Grange Estate). Is this close to the Marlay Park entrance for concerts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Depends on where you're coming from. After going to a few gigs there last summer (or was it the year before?) I'd fully recommend either getting the luas to the nearest station (not sure on how far the walk is, though shouldn't be too long, I don't know where that luas line goes at all :confused:) or get a train to Blackrock / number 10 to ucd and get a 17 to the yellow house pub in Rathfarnham, the bus man will know where it is. About a 10 minute walk from there. http://www.dublintourist.com/details/the_yellow_house_restaurant.shtml

I know this sounds very convoluted, but trust me, getting to marlay park by going straight from town is an absolute nightmare. Going to Muse 2 years ago, it took about 3 hours to get there from town, there's only really one road from town to the park, and it just happens to be the main route for commuters on their way home from work, during rush hour. Not nice I tell you!

That said though, with the recession and all, traffic might have slacked off a good bit. I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The 16 goes right past Marley. They usually put on extra buses when there's concerts on. The luas doesn't go to Rathfarnham at all,the nearest stop in Windy Arbour. I've never walked it,but it's about a 15 min drive away.
    Traffic is always mental around the area for concerts,but if you plan on being there early,before 5, you'll be fine. I used to come home from work at that time from the town direction,and it wasn't too much of a delay at all.

I'll be sitting out my back garden listening to them :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

Cheers guys. I'm bringing my brother there for his 18 and I promised that we'd try get into the pit for this one so we're aiming to be out there by 3ish so if we leave town well before then hopefully traffic will be ok.

..I'm looking at maybe getting the 48a now..any thoughts on that one and where abouts on Stephen's green does it stop if you're familiar with it?

Or failing that what are the chances of getting a taxi out there for about 20euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The 48a isn't far from Marley either,i haven't gotten it all the way into town in a long while though so not sure where it stops there these days.
    I'm usually drunk getting taxis home from town,so god knows what i get charged :D. You should usually get change from a 20,but not much. I'd check the price beforehand with the driver. Usually the taxi's end up dropping you off down the road a bit if traffic is getting heavy,but at that hour,it wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

There are special buses laid on from Burgh Quay that will operate back after the concert.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Concerts/Green-Day/

For the sake of regular commuters trying to get home these are the best buses to get, especially for getting back after the concert as local services are limited at that hour.

The 16 tends to be very busy with regular passengers already during peak hour.

Each of the 14, 14a, and 48a all bring you close to Marlay Park also, dropping you at Broadford Road in Ballinteer, 10 minutes walk from the Park. NOTE that the 16a leaves you 35 minutes away in Rathfarnham.

The 14, 14a, 48a and 16 all serve the same stops in Upper O'Connell Street (outside Burger King) and D'Olier Street. At 3pm they should take about 35/40 minutes to get out to Ballinteer.

The 75 will also bring you to Broadford Road in Ballinteer from either Tallaght or Dun Laoghaire.

Timetables for them all are at:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/14/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/14a/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/16/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/48a/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/75/

• Advertisement

Depends on where you're coming from. After going to a few gigs there last summer (or was it the year before?) I'd fully recommend either getting the luas to the nearest station (not sure on how far the walk is, though shouldn't be too long, I don't know where that luas line goes at all :confused:) or get a train to Blackrock / number 10 to ucd and get a 17 to the yellow house pub in Rathfarnham, the bus man will know where it is. About a 10 minute walk from there. http://www.dublintourist.com/details/the_yellow_house_restaurant.shtml

I know this sounds very convoluted, but trust me, getting to marlay park by going straight from town is an absolute nightmare. Going to Muse 2 years ago, it took about 3 hours to get there from town, there's only really one road from town to the park, and it just happens to be the main route for commuters on their way home from work, during rush hour. Not nice I tell you!

That said though, with the recession and all, traffic might have slacked off a good bit. I stand to be corrected.

You stand to be totally corrected.

Firstly Marlay Park is a good 40 minute walk from the Yellow House.

The nearest LUAS stop is Balally which is a 35 minute walk away through Ballinteer. Alternatively take a LUAS to Dundrum and then a 14, 14a or 48a from there to Ballinteer.

There are special buses laid on - use them!!!

The 14, 14a, 16, and 48a all take about 45/50 minutes in normal peak hour traffic to get to Ballinteer.

For those dead set on taking regular buses rather than the special buses - the 48a is generally the most lightly loaded, but it is the most infrequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

KC61 wrote: »
    You stand to be totally corrected.

Firstly Marlay Park is a good 40 minute walk from the Yellow House.

The nearest LUAS stop is Balally which is a 35 minute walk away through Ballinteer. Alternatively take a LUAS to Dundrum and then a 14, 14a or 48a from there to Ballinteer.

There are special buses laid on - use them!!!

The 14, 14a, 16, and 48a all take about 45/50 minutes in normal peak hour traffic to get to Ballinteer.

For those dead set on taking regular buses rather than the special buses - the 48a is generally the most lightly loaded, but it is the most infrequent.

Are you sure it's 40 mins? As far as I can remember all you had to do was walk up a hill, maybe 20 mins? Ah well, I was very drunk at the time. Guess it saves me making the trek again in the future if I'm headed to a gig there. Cheers

Are you sure it's 40 mins? As far as I can remember all you had to do was walk up a hill, maybe 20 mins? Ah well, I was very drunk at the time. Guess it saves me making the trek again in the future if I'm headed to a gig there. Cheers

Yes. From the Yellow House to the entrance of Marlay Park is certainly 30 minutes - it certainly is not 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

*shadow* wrote: »
    Cheers guys. I'm bringing my brother there for his 18 and I promised that we'd try get into the pit for this one so we're aiming to be out there by 3ish so if we leave town well before then hopefully traffic will be ok.

..I'm looking at maybe getting the 48a now..any thoughts on that one and where abouts on Stephen's green does it stop if you're familiar with it?

Or failing that what are the chances of getting a taxi out there for about 20euro?

If you're thinking of getting a taxi etc. Get the Luas from Stephen's Green to Dundrum/Ballally. There is a taxi rank at the shopping centre. Save you a heap of cash and probably quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

If you want to get as close as possible on Public Transport get the special bus. If you want to take the ordinary bus from town I'd recommend you get the 48A , the terminus is in Parnell Street and get off at Superquinn in Ballinteer. It does take at least 45 minutes on the bus though. Marlay Park is straight ahead. No more than 10 minutes walk. Its the time it'll take you to get from the entrance of the park to the concert site thats the real kick in the teeth!

The quickest way to get to Ballinteer is on the Luas, as it only takes 12 minutes from Stephens Green to Ballally which in turn is a good ten/fifteen minute walk from Broadford. I once got a taxi from the Luas station in Ballally to home in Broadford which cost me 7 quid. Its your money but its only a straight three minute drive so I felt completely ripped off!

It might have been the Eden Pub that hidinginthebush was thinking about. Thats the closest pub to Marlay Park. The Yellow House I would say is definitely a good 30 minute walk from Marlay Park considering it would take me approximately 10 minutes to drive home from there and Marlay is another 10 minutes drive on top of that.

• Advertisement

marwelie wrote: »
    If you want to get as close as possible on Public Transport get the special bus. If you want to take the ordinary bus from town I'd recommend you get the 48A , the terminus is in Parnell Street and get off at Superquinn in Ballinteer. It does take at least 45 minutes on the bus though. Marlay Park is straight ahead. No more than 10 minutes walk. Its the time it'll take you to get from the entrance of the park to the concert site thats the real kick in the teeth!

The quickest way to get to Ballinteer is on the Luas, as it only takes 12 minutes from Stephens Green to Ballally which in turn is a good ten/fifteen minute walk from Broadford. I once got a taxi from the Luas station in Ballally to home in Broadford which cost me 7 quid. Its your money but its only a straight three minute drive so I felt completely ripped off!

It might have been the Eden Pub that hidinginthebush was thinking about. Thats the closest pub to Marlay Park. The Yellow House I would say is definitely a good 30 minute walk from Marlay Park considering it would take me approximately 10 minutes to drive home from there and Marlay is another 10 minutes drive on top of that.

You must have been on an express LUAS!

The LUAS to Balally takes 17/18 minutes not 12!

It might be a 15 minute walk to Broadford using the back lanes that you might know, but given they are unknown to concert goers, you need to look at the main roads. To walk from Balally LUAS to the top of Ballinteer Avenue which is the route that concert goers would use via the Wyckham bypass is 25 minutes, with another 10/15 to add on to the furthest entrance to Marlay Park on Grange Road (beside Three Rock Rovers) which is the one used for the concerts.

That totals 55 minutes, which is longer than the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

KC61 wrote: »
    You must have been on an express LUAS!

The LUAS to Balally takes 17/18 minutes not 12!

It might be a 15 minute walk to Broadford using the back lanes that you might know, but given they are unknown to concert goers, you need to look at the main roads. To walk from Balally LUAS to the top of Ballinteer Avenue which is the route that concert goers would use via the Wyckham bypass is 25 minutes, with another 10/15 to add on to the furthest entrance to Marlay Park on Grange Road (beside Three Rock Rovers) which is the one used for the concerts.

That totals 55 minutes, which is longer than the bus!

The Luas from St Stephens Green to Stillorgan takes 22 minutes from start to finish. Ballally is 3 stops from the end and definitely takes no more than 12-13 minutes. I was on it this morning, it left Ballally at 9.30 and was in Stephens Green at 9.43 ;o)

Granted you are correct about the walk, but if the bus only takes 45 minutes to get to Ballinteer from town on a Wednesday evening, it'll be a minor miracle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

alwaysadub wrote: »
    The 48a isn't far from Marley either,i haven't gotten it all the way into town in a long while though so not sure where it stops there these days.
    I'm usually drunk getting taxis home from town,so god knows what i get charged :D. You should usually get change from a 20,but not much. I'd check the price beforehand with the driver. Usually the taxi's end up dropping you off down the road a bit if traffic is getting heavy,but at that hour,it wouldn't be.

Thanks..We're going to get the 48a hopefully and failing that a taxi, seems like the easiest option when we're not all that familiar with the Marley Park area..plus we're leaving early so we'll beat rush hour and we've already got a lift home sorted for after too :)

Advertisement