Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

airsoft in Galway?

Options
  • 20-06-2010 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi,I heard theres airsoft games held in Galway but I dont know where.
    Is there a website or something?

Ive never played before and want to start.
    Im 17.

I would like the location and when its held.
    Is there any rules as apart from get your own gun?
    I know you need a BB gun with max 6mm bbs(not sure)
    but what else?O! and eye protection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

hi declan welcome to the world of airsoft.Galway did have a good airsoft site in portumna called G-tac but it closed 2 or 3 months ago.It was meant to be relocating somewhere nearer to galway but I have not hear of anything since.There is an airsoft site in sligo called tigerland and its a great site.Its less an 2 hour away and on this thread page there is a thread by bemused called "galway airsofters carpooling to sligo", so there would be lifts going to tigerland every so often and maybe throw afew quid for petrol money their way.hope this was some help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Welcome to the sport Declan...I only recently took it up as well...
    You'll find loads of information below at the Irish Airsoft Association and also here on boards.ie.
    Also I think a number of the Galway lads are going to Limerick next weekend (Sunday) so maybe you might be able to wrangle a lift here on boards..

http://irishairsoft.ie/

Essential gear to start off with
    Eye Gear- Some people wear full face masks, others just glasses and a lot of people wear mesh masks. All have advantages and disadvantages.
    AEG- What rifle you're going to bring with you...powered by batteries or the latest ones are gas blow back rifles (GBBr)..a bit more expensive and high maintenance.

Optional--

Camo- Obviously helps you blend in better in surroundings...some ppl go for woodland camo to blend into the forest, others go for US ACU etc...
    Here's a link of people in the field here on boards..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542832

Sidearm- Most people go for M1911 or M9A1..make sure to get a secure holster..you don't want to lose it :)

Sniper- Various sniper rifles can be got..however you're severely limited by the 1joule limit (328fps) which applies to all airsoft devices here in Ireland. Your best chances are being extremely sneaky, using cover to hide and reporting enemy whereabouts to your team (via comms :) )

If you're thinking of buying a particular airsoft AEG etc then post here on boards to get peoples opinions on it..we're all glad to help each other out here..

Questions- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1119

AEG etc reviews - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=997

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

there is an indoor airsoft shooting range in galway, they also have a retail store, gives you an opportunity to try out various AEGs and ask questions before you settle on one you like.
    http://www.corribtackle.com/default.asp
    its out in the industrial estate near dunnes,

quick edit: the website has nothing worthwhile advertised on it but the shop is worth a visit, havent been there lately but its cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Thanks for the info so basically theres no venture in Galway.

O and do you have to buy that camo stuff,Are you able to turn up in a tracksuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

O and do you have to buy that camo stuff,Are you able to turn up in a tracksuit

Wear whatever you want. But as Scarecrow already said - Camo helps you blend in to surroundings (can make you less of a bb magnet)

If it's a sport you discover you want to pursue, you will find yourself buying loads of "that camo stuff";):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    there is an indoor airsoft shooting range in galway

I don't know what the shop is like but don't waste your time or money on their shooting range. It might be different now but when it opened first I brought my nephew to it. You had to pay €15 to join a club before you could do anything, then you had to pay €10 for half an hour, which is a long time shooting white pellets at white targets against a white background.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

forumfiend wrote: »
    I don't know what the shop is like but don't waste your time or money on their shooting range. It might be different now but when it opened first I brought my nephew to it. You had to pay €15 to join a club before you could do anything, then you had to pay €10 for half an hour, which is a long time shooting white pellets at white targets against a white background.

Fair point but not what i was getting at, this guy is looking to try out different aegs which he can do here before he buys his own one. its just handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Sorry for hijacking but how much would it cost to get all kitted out with fairly decent equipment\clothing, and how much do u pay to take part in games once you have everything yourself?? Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hmplantchick

There is a few clubs in galway for airsoft there is east galway airsoft but they aint great with holding games and always canceling at last minute and cant be bothered with training i know this as my boyfriend used to be with them try the galway city team they supposed to be class run by a guy called Robert look for them on Facebook, usually they wear camo gear but you can buy green stuff in penny or try shops like wildhunter in athlone or Gas in galway city hope this helps you enjoy its a brilliant sport :)

Advertisement