Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering Work Placement

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

well,
    sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.
    but anyway, im currently a Civil Engineering Management student.
    im suppose to go out on Work Placement for 3rd year starting this Septemeber.
    do any of think there would be much of a chance of getting placement with a civil engineering company for say 9 months (twud be fairly slim im guessing with the recession and such) and how would i go about getting it??
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    well,
    sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.
    but anyway, im currently a Civil Engineering Management student.
    im suppose to go out on Work Placement for 3rd year starting this Septemeber.
    do any of think there would be much of a chance of getting placement with a civil engineering company for say 9 months (twud be fairly slim im guessing with the recession and such) and how would i go about getting it??
    cheers

I would email all the major companies (and even the NRA) and explain your situation. Enclose a CV and a letter of motivation. You might have to do it unpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

Furet wrote: »
    I would email all the major companies (and even the NRA) and explain your situation. Enclose a CV and a letter of motivation. You might have to do it unpaid.

ya i was thinking that alright.
    but at this stage, as i said with the recession, i would need to do more than send a CV. like would ya think id have a good chance of getting anything by just sending a CV??
    id say id probaly need a connection high up in a company to get anything ???

sorry, but what is a letter of motivation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ya i was thinking that alright.
    but at this stage, as i said with the recession, i would need to do more than send a CV. like would ya think id have a good chance of getting anything by just sending a CV??
    id say id probaly need a connection high up in a company to get anything ???

Unless you know someone, all you can do is to send a CV and probably an endorsement/reference from your lecturer plus...
    a letter of motivation??

...which is basically a short cover letter where you pitch yourself. You describe your achievements, your strengths, and the reasons you're applying for the role, what you hope to gain from it, and what you can give to the company should they agree to offer you the placement. Two or three well-written paragraphs should do.

Furet wrote: »
    Unless you know someone, all you can do is to send a CV and probably an endorsement/reference from your lecturer plus...

...which is basically a short cover letter where you pitch yourself. You describe your achievements, your strengths, and the reasons you're applying for the role, what you hope to gain from it, and what you can give to the company should they agree to offer you the placement. Two or three well-written paragraphs should do.

alright sound, il try make out som sort of CV so!
    chances are slim at this stage of getting anything though.
    very few classmates have got anything so far and sure the ones that got placement had connections high up in big companies

• Advertisement
Advertisement