Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who keeps Reptiles

Options
  • 07-06-2010 9:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭

So does anybody else keep these pets?

you know snakes,lizards,tortoises,turtles ect ect.. I would love to see if there are many of you out there:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I have a bearded dragon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

2qk4u wrote: »
    I have a bearded dragon.
    Nice:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭yugimon121

ok.....
    i got
    2 crested geckos
    3 red eared sliders
    greek tortoise
    yellow bellied slider
    box turtle
    common snapping turtle
    3 leopard geckos
    Iguana
    5 collard lizards
    Corn Snake
    edit: and my 3 bearded dragons! how could i forget them? im sorry sam, Newt and alyssa =( i didnt mean to
    yep... and they are only my reptiles!

if you also mean amphibians:
    7 african clawed frogs
    2 fire belly toads
    2 Newts (forgot name, will edit when i rememeber)
    a salamander (also forgot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

iv got
    2 bearded dragons
    1 egyption uromastyx

and in a few weeks im gething to terrapins,

but other pets we have are

6 dogs, feret ,snake, parrot, fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭yugimon121

antocann wrote: »
    iv got
    2 bearded dragons
    1 egyption uromastyx

and in a few weeks im gething to terrapins,

but other pets we have are

6 dogs, feret ,snake, parrot, fish
    terrapins are cool, it may be just mine, but mine hate being handled for periods of 5+ mins, and buy from a breeder, they know about terrapins, for a pet shop owner told me to feed mine horse feed!
    and they need a large amount of water! more than land, i know an owner that kept them in an enitire dry habitat, took it from him and nows hes happy.
    so buy from a breeder, and choose the most nicest ones :)

also, i own dogs,cats,fish,birds,chickens,ducks,sugar gliders, hedgehogs and skunks etc.
    i can give a full list of my mini private zoo inhabitants if you want :D

• Advertisement

yugimon121 wrote: »
    terrapins are cool, it may be just mine, but mine hate being handled for periods of 5+ mins, and buy from a breeder, they know about terrapins, for a pet shop owner told me to feed mine horse feed!
    and they need a large amount of water! more than land, i know an owner that kept them in an enitire dry habitat, took it from him and nows hes happy.
    so buy from a breeder, and choose the most nicest ones :)

also, i own dogs,cats,fish,birds,chickens,ducks,sugar gliders, hedgehogs and skunks etc.

what are the sugar gliders like and were would one get a pair of those ? have been thinking about it for ages but cant find anywhere that has them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

yugimon121 wrote: »

Have you ever had a problem with salmonella? One day I'd like to get some kind of reptile or amphibian, but should I be worried about salmonella if I had puppies and kittens around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

morganafay wrote: »
    Have you ever had a problem with salmonella? One day I'd like to get some kind of reptile or amphibian, but should I be worried about salmonella if I had puppies and kittens around.

Not a problem so long as you wash your hands properly after handling them, I've had a Russian Tortoise for the past 3 year and previous had a Trinket Snake and have had no problems in relation to them and my furry pets :)

once you keep your reptiles clean there housing clean and wash your hand every time youl be grand

reptiles are great pets , great to hold and watch , if you do get 1 let us no what type u get ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Oh my word I found another skunk owner!!

I have black & white tegus
    beardies
    berbera skinks
    blue tongue skinks
    golden geckos
    corns
    royal python
    red tailed boa
    iguana
    turtles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

once you keep your reptiles clean there housing clean and wash your hand every time youl be grand

reptiles are great pets , great to hold and watch , if you do get 1 let us no what type u get ,

If I do get one it won't be for a long time. I'd definitely get something vegetarian I think, not something that needs crickets! I think I've heard bearded dragons can be veggie? And I think they're very cute. I'm not sure though, I might never get one. Maybe a tortoise would be good too though. :)

They seem like very high maintenance pets, but very interesting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

If I do get one it won't be for a long time. I'd definitely get something vegetarian I think, not something that needs crickets! I think I've heard bearded dragons can be veggie? And I think they're very cute. I'm not sure though, I might never get one. Maybe a tortoise would be good too though. :)

They seem like very high maintenance pets, but very interesting. :)

Russian Tortoises are vegetarian, with weeds being the best food you can give them so they are free to feed. They don't grow too big either, males 4", females 7-8". Once you get their set up right you're flying. I think the most expensive part of keeping them is the electric bill, 2 sets of lighting (UVA & UVB) on 12hrs a day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

i have a burmese python

i call him monty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I have a lizard living in my back garden. Don't see it too often. I thought it was female at first, but it turned out to be male, so I call him Eddie Lizard. ;)

I have a lizard living in my back garden. Don't see it too often. I thought it was female at first, but it turned out to be male, so I call him Eddie Lizard. ;)
    i remeber seeing your post on tha , its ireland common lizard,do you still see it in your garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ive a pet terrapin , called him Leo,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Have a wee bearded dragon, great pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Juvenile iguana
    Two leopard geckos
    Red-eared slider
    Albino boa constrictor
    2 het for albino boa constictors
    Hogg island boa
    Roya python
    Pueblan milksnake
    Californian kingsnake
    Mammy and Daddy cornsnake
    Their four babies from 2008 and 2009
    One 2yr old corn from a deceased female
    2 other corns

So that's 3 lizzies and 15 snakey-wakes

Demonique wrote: »
    Juvenile iguana
    Two leopard geckos
    Red-eared slider
    Albino boa constrictor
    2 het for albino boa constictors
    Hogg island boa
    Roya python
    Pueblan milksnake
    Californian kingsnake
    Mammy and Daddy cornsnake
    Their four babies from 2008 and 2009
    One 2yr old corn from a deceased female
    2 other corns

So that's 3 lizzies and 15 snakey-wakes

what the iguana like , i am thinking of gething one ,

what the iguana like , i am thinking of gething one ,

First off you know how big an iguana gets right?

They are huge! have very sharp claws & you will look like a self harmer after awhile - they have teeth & can bit hard (this has not happened to me yet!)

I advise you to read as much as you can on iguanas - I read the whole of the website www.anapsid.org

• Advertisement

FAYESY wrote: »
    First off you know how big an iguana gets right?

They are huge! have very sharp claws & you will look like a self harmer after awhile - they have teeth & can bit hard (this has not happened to me yet!)

I advise you to read as much as you can on iguanas - I read the whole of the website www.anapsid.org

tnx for that fayesy , but i all ready no about how big they grow ect, i was just more interested in finding out about the temperment , and would i be best gething one as a baby

also im not 100% sure weather i am going to get one , its i would like to no off people what there like to keep and handle , i read alot about them and mainly things about them that people were sayin , but they never had one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

1 red eared slider,
    1 texas map turtle
    and 1 horsefield tortoise,

Tortoise are great fun ..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I had a Snow Corn Snake. Called him Fluffy. :o:)

Never had a problem with Salmonella, you just have to wash your hands after handling and clean out the tank. When I had the snake I also had three dogs, a cat and two hamsters in the house and defo never had a problem with salmonella! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

I have Bearded Dragons, and never had a problem with salmonella

tnx for that fayesy , but i all ready no about how big they grow ect, i was just more interested in finding out about the temperment , and would i be best gething one as a baby

also im not 100% sure weather i am going to get one , its i would like to no off people what there like to keep and handle , i read alot about them and mainly things about them that people were sayin , but they never had one

My guys is great - my female (rip) was a tail whipping demon - she had a really rough start in her early life & had a massive burn on her back as she was in a tiny tank & had a bulb sitting on her back :(

They can be great - but even the tamest ig can bite for no reason.

If you have the space then go for it! I would get a young one & handle daily! Keep the temps & lighting right add the correct amounts of calcium & vitamins with a yearly health check & you will have a lovely pet - they can be allowed to free range if you have a secure space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I dont have any at the moment at one point i had ,
    2 gopher's
    1 Bull
    3 burmese pythons
    1 carpet
    2 dumerals ground boa's
    a few king snakes
    some garter snakes
    a pair of hognose
    a bosc
    an iggy
    a pair of tokay geckos
    a few scorpions
    and a gaint land snail

(i think thats it)

FAYESY wrote: »
    My guys is great - my female (rip) was a tail whipping demon - she had a really rough start in her early life & had a massive burn on her back as she was in a tiny tank & had a bulb sitting on her back :(

They can be great - but even the tamest ig can bite for no reason.

If you have the space then go for it! I would get a young one & handle daily! Keep the temps & lighting right add the correct amounts of calcium & vitamins with a yearly health check & you will have a lovely pet - they can be allowed to free range if you have a secure space.

thnx fayesy , thats one thing i dont like is when people buy the lizards, and keep them in a small tanks ,
    if i am going to get one whats the avarage growing per year ?

also i have plenty of room as i am going to get a big viv for it , how big is the vivarium yours is in , as i was looking online and looking to build a quite big one , id rather gget all my setup first before makin 100% plans to go out and get one

also have you got any pics of your guys?

thnx fayesy , thats one thing i dont like is when people buy the lizards, and keep them in a small tanks ,
    if i am going to get one whats the avarage growing per year ?

also i have plenty of room as i am going to get a big viv for it , how big is the vivarium yours is in , as i was looking online and looking to build a quite big one , id rather gget all my setup first before makin 100% plans to go out and get one

also have you got any pics of your guys?

Ok the growth rate will depend on how much they eat in a week - Izzy was fed the wrong diet high in crickets!

My brain is dead today & I can not think of how much on average they can grow a year!

My guys have patio doors & a section of a room.

eebff56b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Hi Faysey,
    think I know you from a different life! re - the iguanas - I really would love to have one and for it to be a house pet rather than a caged animal (when it gets big - am I being unrealistic in my expectations? I'd have a box room or my utility (cos it's sunnier in there) to use as main housing area.
    I also don't feel I could manage anything more than 4 foot in size - any breed suggestions?
    Also want to add am not looking for one immediately, in about 18/24 months - hopefully time enough to prep myself!
    Do you still have your pet shop - just out of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 liza22

have lots :D
    Retics, royals, boas, corns, burms...retics are the main passion and far too many snakes to list!
    also keep sulcata torts and some lizards - leos, frilled dragon, tegu...

Advertisement