Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountain Plod - 18th July.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Dublin_Plod_Course__low_res_.jpg

Here is an updated map showing milestones, water stations and course profile.

It looks bigger than it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks Antigrav. Having checked out the route at the weekend, I think you'll definitely need some marshalling or sign-posting in Massey's Wood, Cruagh Wood (at the junction where you turn off) and the Pine forest, so people know which paths to take. Lovely route, though I don't suppose there will be much opportunity to enjoy it on the day!

It's hard to tell what happens in Marlay Park. Is there a loop at the start or at the end, or both?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's hard to tell what happens in Marlay Park. Is there a loop at the start or at the end, or both?

+1 to this, I was assuming it was a loop at the start to spread people out a bit, but it's hard to tell.

Also, I'm sure you know this already, but a marshall will definitely be required just before the 6km mark, where the trail crosses the road at the hair-pin. Dodgy spot!

We currently have 12 marshal points identified. Eight are on road crossings and four at trail turns. Now just to recruit some marshals!

I have noted the spots you mentioned, and think we have them covered. There should be plenty of markers, with arrows at all junctions.

We have a smaller loop identified for marlay park (not the one on the map). The start will be in the field on the other side of the car park from the new playground. You will run away from the car park through a gap in the hedge before looping anti-clockwise around a grassy field and joining up with the road. A left turn will bring you straight out the road to the entrance gates and right turn towards M50 underpass.

The loop is to get us to 21.1k and also avoid a pack of runners hitting the road en mass. The loop will be used at finish too.

Massy's is easy to recce if you download the 'O' map from here. Make sure you turn up at control 9 and not 3 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'll stick my name down for marshalling, its only up the road from me and I plan to be out with the camera anyway so if you don't mind your marshalls taking pictures you can count me in.

Antigrav wrote: »
    Massy's is easy to recce if you download the 'O' map from here. Make sure you turn up at control 9 and not 3 ;)
    Now if I'd only had that map last weekend! From point (3) we decided that uphill was the best course of action, and ended up at (2). A quick clamber and we were onto the road. Still, had we followed the correct route, we wouldn't have met the ice-cream van. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Hi all just after coming across this thread and signed up immediately.. Have never done any hill running so this will either make or break me!!!

If ye decide to run the route before race count me in

Anyone who would like to help out as a marshal can do so a number of ways:

If you are an IMRA member you can volunteer as a helper on the event page. You have to have a MyIMRA login. If you need one, PM me your mobile number, and we'll text you a password.

You could just PM me your name and mobile and I'll get in touch, or just email info@dublinmountains.ie.

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Hi all just after coming across this thread and signed up immediately.. Have never done any hill running so this will either make or break me!!!

If ye decide to run the route before race count me in
    Memoscemo and I will be having another go at this route some Saturday soon so keep an eye here. I'll post details of meeting point etc., and anyone is welcome to join in.

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Memoscemo and I will be having another go at this route some Saturday soon so keep an eye here. I'll post details of meeting point etc., and anyone is welcome to join in.
    Another go? how did the first go-go?

4 stars (good)
    We just did the masseys wood section today. We'll add a bit more next time. Todays run was good but its very tough in sections. A few more runs around the hills is needed before the race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah it was tough and a lot of unexpected objects to climb over in the wood. I wasn't expecting fences and walls and the like :D Next time we will do Masseys wood and part of the section over towards Glencullen combined. I'd say anyone who can keep running up through masseys wood will be near the front of the field.

Edit to say, just entered offiically now. I normally only ebter races with a chance of breaking a PB but I don't expect that to happen here. I bet the pints will taste good after this one

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

if your a PB hunter, mountain running acts as great training.... PB's take different meaning in the mountains - how fast can you descend 3km through heather or scree? How quick can you ascend 500m in bog?
    Much more fun than bragging about any 5k time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Reminds me a bit of the book Feet in the Clouds.. the bit where it detailed the downhill exploits of the top fellrunners who would run 100m faster than any world records. I've never ran a 5k race, but I've run some great 5k downhills :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

I can recommend the descent of Camaderry as fast and furious. Just turn over the legs and hit the S bends hard :D

Did another 'recce of the route today (running this time instead of hiking!). Even in the pissing rain it's a lovely route, though I did again manage to take the wrong path in Massey's Wood. Just as well the race isn't on until July. Might give me a chance to find the right way!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

4 stars (good)
    Did another 'recce of the route today (running this time instead of hiking!). Even in the pissing rain it's a lovely route, though I did again manage to take the wrong path in Massey's Wood. Just as well the race isn't on until July. Might give me a chance to find the right way!

Have tried 3 times to get out of Massey's Estate but with no luck :mad:

Would some one be able to give directions from the gate on Cruagh Lane how to get on to the road at the end of the estate?
    Or I am better cutting through the estate on to the main Kilakee Road (Hell Fire) continue up the road and rejoin the plod as per the map

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

This race looks like a doozey! Screw the addidas 5miler Im running this instead. First mountain race so go easy lads ok

SharkTale wrote: »
    Have tried 3 times to get out of Massey's Estate but with no luck :mad:

Would some one be able to give directions from the gate on Cruagh Lane how to get on to the road at the end of the estate?
    Or I am better cutting through the estate on to the main Kilakee Road (Hell Fire) continue up the road and rejoin the plod as per the map

Thanks in advance.

After about half a mile into the wood, you come to a fork in the path. It seems that the natural way to go is up towards the picnic area (I think it is signposted 'picnic area' up to the right) but you have to take the low road downhill to the left for a bit then you turn a corner and start climbing again.
    That's what myself and Gerard65 did it like anyway. I think this is right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If anyone is doing a recce again give me a shout and I'll join yee. Considering doing this if my chest clears up.

If anyone is doing a recce again give me a shout and I'll join yee. Considering doing this if my chest clears up.

Myself and gerard plan on doing one again soon I think, Just need to find a free weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

4 stars (good)
    Just signed up. Looking foward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    After about half a mile into the wood, you come to a fork in the path. It seems that the natural way to go is up towards the picnic area (I think it is signposted 'picnic area' up to the right) but you have to take the low road downhill to the left for a bit then you turn a corner and start climbing again.
    That's what myself and Gerard65 did it like anyway. I think this is right.

Hi menoscemo,

Thanks for the detail, will give it another shot.

If people are doing a run of the course, I would like to tag along,

Thanks once again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Myself and gerard plan on doing one again soon I think, Just need to find a free weekend.

Cool thanks. I could swear you told me last week though that you weren't going to do it. :pac:

4 stars (good)
    Yep, I'll be doing it again in the next 2 or 3 weeks - very slowly. Don't have many weekends left, only 4, so I'm thinking a Saturday morning, maybe the 3rd july, but I can do any evening. We might want to start thinking about a time and date soon.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Yep, I'll be doing it again in the next 2 or 3 weeks - very slowly. Don't have many weekends left, only 4, so I'm thinking a Saturday morning, maybe the 3rd july, but I can do any evening. We might want to start thinking about a time and date soon.

3rd July sounds perfect to me. We can do the stretch from massey wood up to glen cullen and back....feck it we can do the whole course if you like. P&D say a 16 mile LSR with 10 at PMP that week, but I'm sure the plod will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    This race looks like a doozey! Screw the addidas 5miler Im running this instead. First mountain race so go easy lads ok

Consider it a trial for the Boards relay team for next year :D

Hoping to do another 'recce this Sunday morning (probably around 11am) of the entire route (hopefully finally get the Massey's Wood section right), probably in around 1:45-1:50, if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

4 stars (good)
    Hoping to do another 'recce this Sunday morning (probably around 11am) of the entire route (hopefully finally get the Massey's Wood section right), probably in around 1:45-1:50, if anyone's interested.

I might be. Got to find out if anything else has been arranged for me first ;)

Advertisement