Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Won't happen though.

If it's indoors they would want the in the round stage set up.

Wasn't that the rumoured reason why they didn't go to the O2 last year?

Of course they could, play indoors here with a normal stage, but I doubt it, Would have happened already Id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I heard that they wanted to play indoors last year but that the stage was the stumbling block.

I wouldn't give a **** if it wasn't in the round!!!?? Seeing them indoors once more before they split would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I heard that they wanted to play indoors last year but that the stage was the stumbling block.

I wouldn't give a **** if it wasn't in the round!!!?? Seeing them indoors once more before they split would be cool.

Not another rumour from Metal Ireland :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

If it were to happen, I suppose an Old School Thrash supporting line up would be too much to expect? Whatever about any other of the "big 4", Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, Flotsam & Jetsam!!! :eek::eek:

Now something like that would be mouth watering :cool:

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not another rumour from Metal Ireland :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Interesting note from Metallica.com about the Tokyo shows
    We're working on a few more shows for the month of September, so keep an eye out here over the next couple of weeks for updates.

*Please note: while this is an indoor show, it will not be in the round similar to other World Magnetic shows . . . the stage will be in one end of the arena. Children under six years of age are not allowed on the floor (arena section).

If this is the case, they could come here in September, and perform with a "standard" set up as opposed to in the round

Personally though, nothing beats in the round for a Metallica concert in my opinion

metallica-united-kingdom-concert41.jpeg
    Taken in Sheffield, England, Feb 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rumours going around that Metallica will play Marlay Park Dublin on Sat 4th September 2010.

Cant really afford to go to this if ture ie have Slash, Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses.

you should change the name of the thread to "Rumoured Metallica Marlay Park 4th Sept".....

I thought everything was supposed to go into the Metallica Superthread now.....

NIBBS wrote: »
    I thought everything was supposed to go into the Metallica Superthread now.....

Don't ask me, I'm still pissed cause I didn't get a Beach Ball

3026783882_24d9a8b025.jpg

I don't see why they can't do a scaled down version of that stage for the 02??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The 2 indoor dates they've announced in Japan they're not doing 'in the round' so they have obviously adapted the stage set up for normal arenas. Whether that means they're coming to Ireland on 4 Sep, probably not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'd be very surprised if this happened, especially so soon after the two Belfast shows.

Having said that, Marlay is a short walk for me. I decided not to buy a ticket before the last show there as I'd been to all their previous outdoor shows. I walked over on the night with the intention of picking up a cheap ticket, I ended up getting a freebie!

you're not the only one dude :-)

was at 3 shows where they released them, but Belfast was the first I was standing at, managed to knock one up in the air for a mate to catch and the clutz couldn't grab it......typical - and had he got that I would have gotten the Rob plec that he managed to get......they can still release the balls if they did an indoor show here in Sept - but like I said in the other thread I don't see it happening and odd non-existant dates appear on the MI Gig page all the time....

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-plan-stage-show-to-rival-pink-floyds-the-wall/#comment
    Metallica manager Peter Mensch has revealed the band have some major plans for 2011.

“Let’s just say that next year you will see a Metallica tour that will blow your mind. They will only play in 10 cities but it will be a huge undertaking. It will be Metallica’s equivalent of The Wall.”

This revelation came up when Classic Rock scribe Peter Makowski interviewed Mensch for a feature about the most powerful men in rock and asked him to define his role as a manager.

Mensch replied: “Coming up with ideas so that the live shows are interesting. Just shooting off dumb ideas and, by the way, between you and me, some of it is recycling stuff that people did 25 years ago but no one’s smart enough to know that we recycled it.

“Saying something like: ‘I have this idea for us to play an equivalent of The Wall. So here’s some ideas so we can get the professionals in to they can tell me if I’m crazy or not.’ It’s like plotting out a canvas so someone else can fill it in.”

Hmm… so this could be a new version of an old idea? Metallica’s Wall? Any more clues?

Well, this could be a red herring but Mensch was insistent that Makowski check out American opera singer Renée Fleming on YouTube. Apart from being a highly respected soprano Fleming also appeared on the soundtrack of The Lord Of The Rings singing in the imagined language of Sindarin.

Now this could be big. 30 years since their formation and 20 years since The Black Album, this could be an incredible tour....something we have NEVER seen before, both in terms of production and theatrical flair.

For what it's worth, my two cents, say that Metallica are planning on doing some kind of Musical Stage Show with themselves performing, half S&M, half 'We Will Rock You'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Indoors indoors indoors. The O2 would be cool for a Metallica concert. Like many have said, its a real pain in the **** trudging down stupid lanes to get to the concert site in Marlay. The RDS wasn't that hard to get in and out of now, was it??

Agreed, what is it? a 20 minute walk to the city centre? I really hope that they will come and play a city centre venue at least. Haven't seen them since '06....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-plan-stage-show-to-rival-pink-floyds-the-wall/#comment

Now this could be big. 30 years since their formation and 20 years since The Black Album, this could be an incredible tour....something we have NEVER seen before, both in terms of production and theatrical flair.

For what it's worth, my two cents, say that Metallica are planning on doing some kind of Musical Stage Show with themselves performing, half S&M, half 'We Will Rock You'

Is it possible that we might see something like the 5 Ages of Metallica ? Some of the customised stage shows for the Puppets and Justice Tours were a sight to behold, along with the snakepits of the Black Album/Load and Reload era. You could use those before entering the latter years encompassing some Death Magentic/St Anger ???

Setlist Like This

Escstacy of Gold
    Hit The Lights
    The Four Horsemen
    Seek And Destroy
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Fade To Black
    Creeping Death
    Battery
    Mater Of Puppets
    Orion
    Blackened
    And Justice for All
    Sad But True
    Nothing Else Matters
    Until It Sleeps
    Fuel
    The Memory Remains
    I Disappear
    St Anger
    That Was Just Your Life
    The End of The Line
    One
    Enter Sandman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Het-Field wrote: »
    Is it possible that we might see something like the 5 Ages of Metallica ? Some of the customised stage shows for the Puppets and Justice Tours were a sight to behold, along with the snakepits of the Black Album/Load and Reload era. You could use those before entering the latter years encompassing some Death Magentic/St Anger ???

Setlist Like This

Escstacy of Gold
    Hit The Lights
    The Four Horsemen
    Seek And Destroy
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Fade To Black
    Creeping Death
    Battery
    Mater Of Puppets
    Orion
    Blackened
    And Justice for All
    Sad But True
    Nothing Else Matters
    Until It Sleeps
    Fuel
    The Memory Remains
    I Disappear
    St Anger
    That Was Just Your Life
    The End of The Line
    One
    Enter Sandman

Too much St. Anger.

Nah, i kid. I think that would be pretty good though.

Degag wrote: »
    Too much St. Anger.

Nah, i kid. I think that would be pretty good though.

LOL. I'd replace that with "Frantic". Better song.

Yesterday I got sent the following Press Release about the Big Four Cinema Event
    THRASH METAL'S BIG FOUR SHOW TO BE BEAMED INTO CINEMAS

The so called Big Four of thrash metal, Metallica, Slayer, MEGADETH and Anthrax, will appear on the same bill together for the first time in the world ever on this year's Sonisphere touring festival, which will make its way around Europe between June and August. If you're in the UK, you'll have to wait until August to see them all in the flesh, by which time everyone else in Europe will already have done so.

Team Sonisphere have come up with a fun way to let you see the bands early - on 22 Jun, the four bands' performances from the Bulgarian leg of the tour will be broadcast via satellite, live and in high definition into 79 UK cinemas

Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich told the CMU: "Who would have thought that more than 25 years after its inception, thrash metal's Big Four would not only still be around, be more popular than ever, playing shows together at stadiums all over Europe, and on top of that, coming to a movie theatre near you in high definition (for better or worse!). Bring it on!"

Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian added: "Damn, as if this Big Four tour wasn't exciting enough now we get to be on the big screen worldwide! Metal at the movies, two big horns up! It is unbelievably gratifying that this means so much to the metal community around the globe. Get your tickets, grab some popcorn and get ready to bang your head!"

Slayer's Kerry King proclaimed: "I can't believe someone didn't make this [tour] happen fifteen years ago! The fans finally get what they want. I think it's awesome!"

Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine said: "The magnitude of this event hasn't really sunk in yet, and I am thrilled to know that people around the planet will be able to walk into a movie theatre and experience the greatest line up of heavy metal in the history of the world!"

For more information, to buy tickets and to find out where your nearest participating cinema is, take yourself a look at www.thebigfourlive.com.

Simple slip of the tongue, or does Metallica and the other Big Four intend on joining together at Sonisphere in the UK? It seems a little late, especially with the headliners announced, to be announcing such an amazing act, right?

Or, does Metallica intend on doing what they've always intended on doing and surprising us with some shows in Europe

Metallica's official website also just sent their email update around, and it quoted as saying that....
    Stay tuned for a few more announcements of Fall shows in the coming weeks

We could be in for a shock, Metallica COULD be coming back to Dublin

Yesterday I got sent the following Press Release about the Big Four Cinema Event

Simple slip of the tongue, or does Metallica and the other Big Four intend on joining together at Sonisphere in the UK? It seems a little late, especially with the headliners announced, to be announcing such an amazing act, right?

Or, does Metallica intend on doing what they've always intended on doing and surprising us with some shows in Europe

Metallica's official website also just sent their email update around, and it quoted as saying that....

We could be in for a shock, Metallica COULD be coming back to Dublin

Poxy Marlay Park again................that's if what it says on the Metal Ireland forum.:mad:

EDIT: Look at 4th September.

http://www.metalireland.com/gig-dates/

Poxy Marlay Park again................that's if what it says on the Metal Ireland forum.:mad:

EDIT: Look at 4th September.

http://www.metalireland.com/gig-dates/

why oh why do you guys keep quoting that........the Gig Dates page on Metalireland isn't an announcements page - if you look at the dates up there you'll notice a number of inaccuracies, and you'll see something pop up at least once every couple of months with a gig that doesn't exist.....once again I'll say unless it's on the Band or Promoters sites, or at least Ticketmaster it's not been announced yet.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

its a pity there not playing an indoor concert for the sound

its a pity there not playing an indoor concert for the sound

Yup

right now there's no confirmation of any date is there ????

so we don't know they aren't playing indoors - honestly I'd be pretty pissed if they actually come in Sept and play Marlay Park - Dublin is well overdue an indoor gig, and having seen them indoors 3 times in the last 2 years would be great to see them at home......

so we don't know they aren't playing indoors - honestly I'd be pretty pissed if they actually come in Sept and play Marlay Park

I don't think people care. This has just taken off from the initial rumour. I heard two guys talking about it on a bus yesterday! I think Metallica should **** in a bag and throw it into Marlay Park and at least 200 people would buy tickets to take photos of the bag.
    Dublin is well overdue an indoor gig, and having seen them indoors 3 times in the last 2 years would be great to see them at home......

Dublin is well overdue an indoor gig. I am sick of hearing people go on about the great time they had in 96 and 99 when Metallica played the Point. I once met a guy who watched Cliff Burton play with Metallica just two weeks before he died. I almost strangled him by the time he had finished his story lol

I think Metallica need to come to Dublin, pick a venue, and perform inside...that way, the die hard fans who want to see the band for a 6th time in eight years can clamber to get tickets and enjoy the gig

Much like Guns N' Roses are doing.

I mean, GNR almost sold out 60,000 seats in 2006 in the RDS with virtually no support and now they're having trouble shifting 14,000....as much as I love Axl, I cannot see Metallica having that trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Do you think Lars is a good drummer? In my opinion he's pretty good, not the best technically but fairly proficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Do you think Lars is a good drummer? In my opinion he's pretty good, not the best technically but fairly proficient.

I do,

I think a lot of the **** he gets is from people listening to the Live Metallica recordings.Which to be fair are terrible quality for the most part.

He's probably at this present moment my favourite member of metallica as shocking as that may be :pac: and the number one reason I love the drums.

A lot of hate towards lars is more the guy himself rather than his quality as a drummer I think.

He's done some great stuff. And I can't picture anyone else being a better drummer for metallica.

Dave Lombardo did do a great job though playing Battery :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I do,

I think a lot of the **** he gets is from people listening to the Live Metallica recordings.Which to be fair are terrible quality for the most part.

He's probably at this present moment my favourite member of metallica as shocking as that may be :pac: and the number one reason I love the drums.

A lot of hate towards lars is more the guy himself rather than his quality as a drummer I think.

He's done some great stuff. And I can't picture anyone else being a better drummer for metallica.

Yeah exactly. When people say hes a bad drummer its a bit misleading in the respec that he's a damn sight better than say indie drummers or ringo starr. He's better than motorheads original drummer, I dunno I'd say he's technically better than John Bonham who is generally well respected as a drummer or so it seems. Also he's got a completely distinctive style which to me is more important than being technically amazing.

I recall Hetfield saying they weren't anything special on their instruments but again I find this to be innacurate. Hammet is a damn good guitarist, again not as technically perfect as Satch et al but thats not really whats at stake, imo he plays solos which are more interesting and which strike a chord, (pardon the pun), like with the Unforgiven, which sounds very epic. Hetfield is a good rhythm guitarist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I dunno I'd say he's technically better than John Bonham who is generally well respected as a drummer or so it seems.

Woah, whoah, lets not get carried away now! Lars is a good drummer, maybe a bit lazy these days live, imo, but you can't really say that he is technically better than Bonham. They have two very different styles that can't be compared fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I do,

The pro's of dave playing that are that it embarrassed lars to get off his ass to do something better (as evidenced on death magnetic)

I would also plead with them to not play dyers eve live...without the double bass drum it sounds so barren and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Woah, whoah, lets not get carried away now! Lars is a good drummer, maybe a bit lazy these days live, imo, but you can't really say that he is technically better than Bonham. They have two very different styles that can't be compared fairly.

lars ulrich is overrated :P

n for the .. guy who said in the best drummer thread.

Advertisement