Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Jayuu's suggestion for the M3 to be extended to serve Cavan and Monaghan is interesting. I dont think it is very realistic though because Monaghan town is currently only an hour and a half from Dublin via the M1. I dont think an extended M3 would be any faster when travelling from Monaghan and although I would love to see the motorway as far as Cavan (being a Cavan man myself) the population doesnt justify this. Like I said in my earlier post Virginia should be bypassed and the N3 from there to Cavan is good enough considering traffic volumes are quite low and then Cavan town is already bypassed.

Good point although the idea was to give an alternative motorway route to the north and to ease pressure on the N2 corridor and also create an alternative and more direct Donegal route than the N4. But you're probably right that its not necessary to go the whole way to the border. However I do think that if you went to Cavan you definitely might as well go as far as the N54 between Clones and Monaghan with a link back to the existing N3.

It actually doens't have to be motorway standard but at least 2+2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I presume none of the protesters are ever going to use the new M3, even if they're in a hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Fair enough, Im sure extending the road as far as Cavan would be unfeasible without accomodating Monaghan traffic also. As a long term plan I think that it makes more sense than extending the M2 motorway towards the border, this should be tied into an existing road.

Another alterntive would be to upgrade the N2 from Ardee north and the N33 to 2 + 2 and route Dublin traffic coming from Monaghan/border onto the M1. This shouldnt be too difficult as Carrickmacross, Castleblaney and Monghan town have been bypassed in recent years so it would just mean adding a lane on either side. Who knows, with a bit of foresight when they were building these bypasses they might have CPO'd enough land to allow for this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My toll tag - a working, in credit eTrip unit - failed to work at either toll plaza today, express or normal lanes. Anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

murphaph wrote: »
    Is the link road from the trumpet to south of Navan built to full motorway specs? If so it's pretty interesting as an S2 would have sufficed (as was used at Kells onto the trumpet there) and I suspect this could be a short length of any future DOOR.

Yes it is, bar a tightish bend at its joining point with the r147. Its an interesting link road, the overbridge on it is spectacularly high! Worth a spin down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

MYOB wrote: »
    My toll tag - a working, in credit eTrip unit - failed to work at either toll plaza today, express or normal lanes. Anyone else having problems?

I've account with easytrip and same thing, didn't work at either toll today. Even had one of the guys on the toll try to scan the device and it wasn't working!

Are the two roundabouts either side of a bridge (ie, do they form part of a dumbell interchange)? Or is the M3, the roundabouts and the continuation N3 all on the same level?

This is such a shoddy way to connect 2 dual carriageways together, one being a motorway! This doesn't happen anywhere else a motorway joins a dual carriageway as part of the same continuous route AFAIK (N6-M6, N7-M7, N11-M11 (twice), N8-M8).

It may not delay much but for the want of a single flyover it shouldn't delay at all tbh.

Edit: if this is indeed a flyover with 2 roundabouts either side of it, it is almost a carbon copy of the southern termination of the Ballymena Bypass which was designed for future connection to the never built "middle bit" of the M2. In the end they dualled the A26 (what has already been done with the N3) and 30 years later ran the M2 through the junction to flow directly into the A26. At least they had a reason: the A26 was S2 when the M2 was built and wasn't dualled until years later. The M3/N3 setup however seems quite bizarre to me, would love if someone could get some pics of the lay of the land there if possible please!

It's actually a good idea, the dumbell interchange. Due to the presence of the n52 and the old road into kells. So each roundabout is 4 armed. In context of future gsj, its not a bad solution

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

nordydan wrote: »
    It's actually a good idea, the dumbell interchange. Due to the presence of the n52 and the old road into kells. So each roundabout is 4 armed. In context of future gsj, its not a bad solution
    Have you seen this interchange Dan? Is it a partially built dumbell with flyover, or is it 2 roundabouts on the flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The M3 stinks of something dodgy because it is now the fourth motorway passing through count Meath, the home of the minister for transport.

Noel Dempsey has only been Min Transport since June 07. N3 commencement order was given before that. First sod was turned by his predecessor, Martin Cullen. I don't think responsibility for any of the motorways which pass through Meath could be recorded as a Dempsey win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The M3 and the M2 are the only motorways that specifically serve Meath. The other two just happen to skirt Meath on their way to Galway and the North.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

I've account with easytrip and same thing, didn't work at either toll today. Even had one of the guys on the toll try to scan the device and it wasn't working!

My (old) EazyPass unit has worked perfectly in the express lanes in both directions since the M3 opened. I remember it went wonky though when M50 went barrier free. Just check and make sure they dont try to debit you for more than one trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Have you seen this interchange Dan? Is it a partially built dumbell with flyover, or is it 2 roundabouts on the flat?

it's all on the flat - no flyover bridge between the roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Yes it is, bar a tightish bend at its joining point with the r147. Its an interesting link road, the overbridge on it is spectacularly high! Worth a spin down

Just remembered I took a few photos on Friday last (the opening day - note the lack of cars that's a contractors pickup:P) - but to my bitter disappointment I forgot to check the charge on my f%$king camera battery :mad:

Photo 001 - the above overbridge on the Navan Link road

Photo 002 & 003 are of signage on M3 eastbound before J10 - battery dead after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

And don't forget that this link road in a deep cutting obliterated the original rail alignment into Navan and will now have to be bridged at extra cost eventhough the planned reopening of the line was Government policy before a single pen was put on an M3 designers page.

You gotta laugh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Jayuu wrote: »
    As far as I can see the best long term planning here would be to build the M3 onwards bypassing both Virginia and Cavan on their eastern side. Then have the road turn back eastwards to pass Clones on the east and Monaghan on the west and reach the border where the exiting N2 does. Exits could be provided for all of these towns and link roads in.

The M2 then from its current end then should turn westward to join the M3 at a new interchange north of Dunshaughlin (Junction 6a). This would have to be tolled along the same lines as the toll between Junctions 5 and 6 on the M3.

Doing this would give us a motorway to the border serving the main towns of Meath, Cavan and Monaghan along the way and eliminating the need for any major work along the N2 corridor.
    Jayuu, I love to see you canvassing for this idea in Donegal town and Killybegs(even up north in Letterkenny),
    its not enough that they have no proper rail infrastructure,
    but hell adding an extra hour to their journey by redirecting the M3 towards a North Easterly direction,
    they would get a great kick out of that idea,
    the fact that you may be the victim of that kick is another thing!

We have the M1 - adequate enough to feed both Belfast and Derry!
    The M3 is there to feed everything from Letterkenny, Enniskillen, Omagh, Bundoran down as far as Sligo(I know Sligo has the N4 - but a second option is no bad thing if Galway and Mayo keep growing in terms of usage - not in a recession thank god)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭SeanW

Can anyone tell me what the point is of this roundabout on the trumpet junction at J10?
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.70868&lon=-6.85642&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Jayuu, I love to see you canvassing for this idea in Donegal town and Killybegs(even up north in Letterkenny),
    its not enough that they have no proper rail infrastructure,
    but hell adding an extra hour to their journey by redirecting the M3 towards a North Easterly direction,
    they would get a great kick out of that idea,
    the fact that you may be the victim of that kick is another thing!

We have the M1 - adequate enough to feed both Belfast and Derry!
    The M3 is there to feed everything from Letterkenny, Enniskillen, Omagh, Bundoran down as far as Sligo(I know Sligo has the N4 - but a second option is no bad thing if Galway and Mayo keep growing in terms of usage - not in a recession thank god)

If you look at the map I drew there's no reason why Donegal traffic couldn't leave the motorway beyond Cavan and get back to the existing N3 at that point if they wished. You're also ignoring the fact that a motorway as far as Cavan would have significantly reduced their travel time already.

Its all hypothetical anyway. There's no way the M3 is going beyond where it is for many years. But if it were to be built there's also no reason in not exploring all the options that might be possible and continuing a M3 to the border near Monaghan adds extra levels of usefulness to such a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

GeneHunt wrote: »
    it's all on the flat - no flyover bridge between the roundabouts.
    So basically for the want of a single flyover on a 63km scheme, traffic has to needlessly negotiate 2 roundabouts. There's no good reason for this: the M3 will never be extended through this junction without using the path of the new N3 (2+2 section). It should have all been connected now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

SeanW wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the point is of this roundabout on the trumpet junction at J10?
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.70868&lon=-6.85642&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF

My guess, one of three reasons:

1. They wanted or needed to preserve non-motorway access to some field or property along the spur. Seems odd, given that it's a brand new road, but perhaps it was necessary because of the motorway blocking up a pre-existing access.

2. They somehow found it desirable to minimise the length of the section under motorway restrictions. This one troubles me, because it does seem otherwise pointless.

3. The location is considered a plausible site for future services, that could be accessed via the roundabout. I'm not so keen on this theory, since such a roundabout could readily have been built later.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Tested my new Aiptek Pencam HD while on the new M3...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

So basically for the want of a single flyover on a 63km scheme, traffic has to needlessly negotiate 2 roundabouts. There's no good reason for this: the M3 will never be extended through this junction without using the path of the new N3 (2+2 section). It should have all been connected now.
    From memory, in the 80s, the M50(the Western Parkway) finished at Blanchardstown in much the same fashion - although maybe that had only one roundabout.
    Either way, I agree this should have be grade separated, so if they ever did want to extend the road northwards from that point, they wouldn't have to disrupt traffic on the N3/N52/M3!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Tested my new Aiptek Pencam HD while on the new M3...

Very good, that garda car was fairly nailing it though wasn't he !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Agreed this should have been GSJ'ed from the start. As I stated on SABRE, there is no need for anything bar 2+2 north of this.

Barring this, the dumbell arrangement is better than one giant roundabout. If future GSJ'ing is required, only one overbridge is required, not two. A lot of traffic will join leave at this junction. The M3 around Kells also serves as a toll free bypass, so the % of traffic flows through this intersection that are M3>N3 are not as many as one may think.

The NRA should have stated a policy of 2+2 from Kells to Belturbet, but due to changes in road C/S standards in the last few years may have fudged the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'm surprised that they haven't tidied up the road signage from J4 onwards. M3 signs with the M3 greyed out, end of motorway signs and speed limit signs indicating 100kmh (is it 100kmh from J4 or should it be 120?).

The R147 has also dropped to 80kmh as it has lost its N status. Is there an a mechanic for the local authority to up this back to 100? Similarly the N2 was upped to 120 before it got its motorway designation?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BrianD wrote: »
    The R147 has also dropped to 80kmh as it has lost its N status. Is there an a mechanic for the local authority to up this back to 100? Similarly the N2 was upped to 120 before it got its motorway designation?

Yes. Meath appear loathe to do it seeing as their sections of the R132, RwhatevrtheN2 became and R148 have all stayed at 80 or lower.

Louth, Cork, Monaghan and Tipp South appear to be the main users of 100km/h R-roads. Some in Cork were just decent quality and never N roads at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I drive this motorway everyday. Is there an 'Easy Pass' system that I can get for it? Where can I get one of these cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lemlin wrote: »
    I drive this motorway everyday. Is there an 'Easy Pass' system that I can get for it? Where can I get one of these cards?

http://www.tagcompare.ie/

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Ok so I've been on the M3 Friday evening and Monday evening, travelling from Clonee to Cavan and vice versa.

A few negative points:
    The south toll bridge was really slow on friday evening and that wasn't just my queue both manual and automatic lanes. on monday, it picked up. Maybe they were just rusty lol

Is it just me or is the motorway narrower from Clonee until after the south toll bridge than the other half?

After the toll bridge at Kells, shortly afterwards the M3 ends and transforms into a dual carriageway at only 100kph. Why not 120kph? It's of the same standard and width?

Don't get me wrong, I love the motorway, cuts 30mins off my journey :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This motorway is a very boring piece of road. If a motorway could be tagged with "most boring" this one would be it. Not much to see in that part of the country. M11 is much nicer drive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement