Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Enbee wrote: »
    Traffic movements between M50 South and N3 West aren't going to be too efficient and I suspect that the required drops in speed could have an effect further back.

How so? The traffic will be moving constantly which is a vast improvement over the current situation.

As regards tight bends, have you ever gone from the N4 city bound at Lucan onto the M50 south? It'll be no worse than that one (nearly a full 360 loop), probably not as tight, and that one works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Nuno wrote: »
    I love how this has changed from an M3 thread to an M50 thread. :rolleyes:
    Especially considering that the two roads aren't linked.

Come on folks, we already have a separate M50 thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

dcr22B wrote: »
    Especially considering that the two roads aren't linked.

Come on folks, we already have a separate M50 thread.

I presume you two are taking the piss, right?

If you're not, do you not think that the N3/M50 junction is an important discussion point on the M3 thread as a huge number of M3 users will be using this junction, and will now be getting there much quicker than before and is therefore the only potential bottleneck on their commutes?

And how is the M3 not linked to the M50? I'd have thought that the stretch of N3 between Blanch village and Clonee does just that. :rolleyes:

The thread police are out in force today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

PauloMN wrote: »
    I presume you two are taking the piss, right?

I'm not taking the piss.

If you want to be pedantic about it, The M3 finishes at Clonee and then becomes the N3 up until the M50 (but sure you know that already)

There's a perfectly good thread that's already discussing the N3/M50 interchange: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

dcr22B wrote: »
    I'm not taking the piss.

If you want to be pedantic about it, The M3 finishes at Clonee and then becomes the N3 up until the M50 (but sure you know that already)

There's a perfectly good thread that's already discussing the N3/M50 interchange: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395842

Upheld. Another thread on the interchange is the place for that discussion.

This thread is about the new section of M3 which opens today. Naturally the discussion veers a little off-topic every so often, but this thread IS NOT about the M50/N3 junction. Go to the thread above if you'd like to talk about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

According to the Irish Times, the opening ceremony has taken place...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0604/breaking18.html
    The M3 motorway which cost an estimated €1 billion officially opened today.

The 61km motorway linking the Dublin/Meath border with the Meath/Cavan border is believed to be the largest single road project to be constructed in Ireland and incorporates bypasses of Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells.

In addition to the motorway itself, the overall project involves a network of 49km of ancillary public roads and 34km of farm access roads.

The opening ceremony took place near Kells, Co Meath, at 11am.

A range of environmentalists and heritage activists, including the campaign group Tarawatch, complain the route of the motorway is damaging to the area and passes unacceptably close to the Hill of Tara.

Commenting this morning, Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey defended the cost of building the road and said all motorways built across the State had brought environmental improvements and economic benefits. "It was an investment that I started in 1997, 1998 - it's now coming to fruition, and it is of huge, huge benefit," he said on Morning Ireland .

The National Roads Authority (NRA) said anyone who feared the impact of the motorway on the Hill of Tara, the historic seat of the ancient high kings, should “assess it for themselves” over the bank holiday weekend or in the coming weeks.

“The weekend is a perfect opportunity for those who are concerned to get out and see what the fuss was all about,” said a spokesman.

Irish writer Colm Tóibín said the desecration of the landscape around Tara was shameful, short-sighted and beyond belief.

“In a time when Ireland needs places which have a sacred aura and a special beauty more than ever, it is sad to see those who have misruled our country ganging up on our heritage,” he said.

Vincent Salafia, of TaraWatch, said activists have been completely vindicated in their campaign against the route of this road.

“The majority of Irish people, including most of our leading artists, as well as the EU and the major international archaeological bodies, have condemned it.The same reckless disregard for ethics, rights and regulation that brought down the economy, was employed to bulldoze this road through," he said.

The M3 is the latest of the State’s new motorways to be tolled. Motorists will face two tolls, at Clonee and Kells, under a public-private partnership between the State and a consortium involving civil engineering companies Ferrovial, Siac and Budimex.

Tolls will be set at €1.30 each, fixed in line with inflation. Despite assertions to the contrary from Tarawatch, the roads authority has insisted it is confident vehicle targets will be met in the first year of operation.

Following the completion of the major inter-urban motorways to Limerick and Waterford this October, all of the motorways between Dublin and the regional cities, as well as the Border, will feature tolls.

The roads authority said yesterday that private finance is likely to be involved in a greater share of its projects in coming years.

Current public-private partnerships in development include the Gort to Tuam motorway in Co Galway; the upgrade of Newlands Cross, Dublin; N11 improvements in Co Wicklow; and the southern section of the M20 Cork to Limerick road.

Construction of the M3 was controversial not only because of its proximity to the Hill of Tara, but also because it was used by the European Commission as an example of non-compliance by Ireland with European planning directives.

In 2007, then EU environment commissioner Stavros Dimas said the commission considered Ireland’s approach to decisions involving the destruction or removal of historic structures and archaeological monuments to be in breach of EU rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

I know it was meant to be open at 4pm to cars. Surely it won't take that long to sweep up the broken champagne bottle glass and the ribbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mcgeebers

Is it me or will Virginia be terribly impacted by virtue of not being bypassed? It was incredibly shortsighted not bypassing what is the last major town between the M3 and the main Cavan Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

mcgeebers wrote: »
    Is it me or will Virginia be terribly impacted by virtue of not being bypassed? It was incredibly shortsighted not bypassing what is the last major town between the M3 and the main Cavan Road!

I guess they expect a lot of traffic to disperse before it reaches there. I haven't seen the NRA's traffic count figures for Cavan - Virginia in a while but they weren't terribly high, definitely not high enough to warrant a motorway. Perhaps they plan to bypass it in the future, like Belturbet and Ballyconnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

One would think so, but I guess that a lot of the traffic will be peeling off before Virginia... I guess We'll know today.. Bank Holiday weekend Friday is as good a test as any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I know it was meant to be open at 4pm to cars. Surely it won't take that long to sweep up the broken champagne bottle glass and the ribbon?

It has nothing to do with sweep up broken glass, the delay between the ceremony at 11am and opening the motorway at 4pm is to make sure all the TD's are back on the right side of the road again, you know how these ceremony can go, with a few drinks:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's for our safety you know...!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Just back from Kells (to Oldcastle) and it's not opened yet. Should be open this evening when I head to Wexford for the weekend. Interesting to see how long that will take me. And from Oldcastle to Wexford town from what I can figure out the only villages/towns I'll pass through will be Ballinlough, Meath and then Ballycanew and Castlebridge in Wexford :D

If this is the case I'll be spending a lot more time down with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

GeneHunt wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with sweep up broken glass, the delay between the ceremony at 11am and opening the motorway at 4pm is to make sure all the TD's are back on the right side of the road again, you know how these ceremony can go, with a few drinks:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's for our safety you know...!!!!!!

Just as long as they dont let Jim McDaid on it, we'll be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Should be the same as always... it's the same volume of traffic coming into Virginia, or be it by different means. Being a bank holiday weekend, there's usually a 10-15 min delay getting through the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Just got this from the AA Roadwatch Website. Looks like we still have to wait until 4pm.... :(
    *M3/MEATH* The new 60km stretch of the M3 Clonee to Kells motorway will open to traffic today at 4pm. • The scheme extends from the end of the existing Clonee bypass to the Meath/Cavan border. • Bypassing Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells, the M3 has the potential to cut an hour or more off peak-time journeys between Co Cavan and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Nothing to do this evening so I might take a spin down the road and take some photos!

Mind you it'll probably be nothing much more than directional signs and toll plazas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Jayuu wrote: »
    Nothing to do this evening so I might take a spin down the road and take some photos!

Mind you it'll probably be nothing much more than directional signs and toll plazas! :D

Take some pictures of the Hill of Tara :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Jayuu wrote: »

Any chance you have a GPS device capable of collecting a trace??
    We only have partial surveys on OSM...
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.6462&lon=-6.6878&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

larryone wrote: »
    Any chance you have a GPS device capable of collecting a trace??
    We only have partial surveys on OSM...
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.6462&lon=-6.6878&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

Sorry I don't. Otherwise I'd have been happy to contribute. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

AA now says it'll be open by 3

from their website

M3/MEATH* The new 60km stretch of the M3 Clonee to Kells motorway main line is open to traffic. The interchanges will be open by 3pm and the Keels by pass by 3:30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

AA now says it'll be open by 3

from their website

M3/MEATH* The new 60km stretch of the M3 Clonee to Kells motorway main line is open to traffic. The interchanges will be open by 3pm and the Keels by pass by 3:30pm.

I'd say that's possible. Passed Dunboyne end of it half an hour ago and they had two yellow jacketed people standing at each toll lane, and there seemed to be a convoy of works vehicles and garda vehicles starting to form at the Clonee on ramp. Looked like they were gearing up for an imminent opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 podgeywodgey5

*M3/MEATH* The new 60km stretch of the M3 Clonee to Kells motorway is open to traffic. • The scheme extends from the end of the existing Clonee bypass to the Meath/Cavan border. • Bypassing Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells, the M3 has the potential to cut an hour or more off peak-time journeys between Co Cavan and Dublin.

AA roadwatch says it's now open to traffic. Anyone been on it yet?

M3 CLONEE TO NORTH OF KELLS PPP MOTORWAY SCHEME OPENS ALMOST TWO MONTHS EARLY AND WILL POTENTIALLY CUT OVER AN HOUR OFF PEAK-TIME JOURNEYS
    Thursday 3rd June 2010: Mr Noel Dempsey, T.D., Minster for Transport will open the 60km M3 Clonee to North of Kells Motorway Scheme tomorrow, Friday 4th June, almost two months ahead of schedule. The €1 billion (one billion euro) M3 starts at Clonee and continues through County Meath up to north of Kells, close to the Cavan border. Bypassing Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells, it has the potential to cut an hour or more off peak-time journeys between Co Cavan and Dublin. The M3 Motorway will be open to traffic by approximately 4pm on Friday 4th June, in time for the Bank Holiday traffic.
    The M3 Motorway was delivered in a Public Private Partnership (PPP) between the National Roads Authority working with Meath Co Council and Eurolink Motorway Operations (M3) Ltd who have designed, built and financed the Motorway and will operate it. The €1 billion project was financed by the private sector, the Exchequer under the National Development Plan and Transport 21, and the European Union Regional Development Fund.
    Opening the M3 Motorway, Minister for Transport Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D., says
    “the M3 is one of the biggest road projects to open in Europe this year. Opening ahead of schedule, it marks another major achievement in the Government’s delivery of the most ambitious road programme in our history. Above all, it will improve the quality of life for the people who travel on the M3 or who live in the towns that are now bypassed.”
    Mr. Peter Malone, Chairman of the National Roads Authority says
    "the new M3 encompasses over 60km of new motorway and dual carriageway providing for safer journeys, enhanced economic connectivity and easier access to and from the nation’s capital. Additionally, the history and beauty of the entire area will be made more easily accessible for future generations to appreciate.”
    According to Cllr William Carey, Cathaoirleach, Meath Co Council,
    “the opening of the M3 says, louder than any words, that Meath and the towns and villages in Co Meath are open for business and ready to become centres that attract jobs. The opening of the M3 means a welcome to shorter commuting times, better access for business and tourism and better quality of life which are immediate tangible benefit for people who live and or work in Meath and adjoining areas.”
    Federico Gredilla, CEO of Eurolink, who will maintain and operate the Motorway, confirms that
    “1,800 people were employed in construction of the M3 and approximately 80 staff will be employed by Eurolink in the operation and maintenance of the Motorway at its offices at Blackbull and Grange Toll Plazas in County Meath.”
    There are two Toll Plazas; one at Pace, between Dunshaughlin and Clonee, and one at Grange, between Navan and Kells. The toll for cars at each tolling barrier will be €1.30, to be paid by tolling tag, pre-paid Trip Card, cash or credit card. For all tolling details visit www.eurolink-m3.ie and to compare toll tag operators and their prices visit www.tagcompare.ie
    M3 Clonee to North of Kells Motorway Tolling Tariffs
    Motorcycle (exceeding 50 cc) 70 cent
    Car €1.30
    Buses / Coaches €2.00
    Goods vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500kg €2.00
    Goods vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight exceeding 3,500 kg and with 2 or 3 axles €2.70
    Goods vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight exceeding 3,500 kilograms and having 4 or more axels €3.30

The M3 scheme has been completed under the National Roads Authority's (NRA) National Roads Programme and is a key part of the plan to upgrade the overall national road network for the country. The M3 forms part of the national strategic road corridors that connect Dublin and the east coast to the midlands, west and north-west of Ireland. Combined with the upgrade of the M50 scheduled for completion during 2010, the M3 provides Meath with a high quality Motorway/Dual Carriageway link to all the Major Interurban Routes.
    As a Motorway, the M3 Clonee to North of Kells PPP Motorway Scheme is seven to ten times safer than the existing road. It will
    • Provide approximately 60km of motorway in each direction from Clonee to Kells.
    • Bypass Dunshaughlin, Navan, and Kells, removing through traffic, improving environmental standards and promoting a safer and improved quality of life for local residents.
    • Contribute to competitiveness and efficiencies, due to reduced transport costs and reduced journey times, with enhanced economic opportunities.
    • Significantly reduce travel times along the route for commuters and all other motorists.
    • Facilitate access to the many tourist and heritage attractions in the region.
    • Improve road transport connections in Meath and between the North-East and North-West.
    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,17195,en.html[/LEFT]

Map of scheme: http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,17195,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just posted this in the Cavan forum, but probably of interest here too...
    Well the other half is driving on it from Navan to Blanch as I type this and she tells me there are protestors out on one of the bridges (Hill of Tara brigade) but aside from that it seems to be busy but moving well (Navan - Dunshaughlin in 5 minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Why an overbridge, surely they wouldn't need to leave the Hill of Tara to protest since the motorway is supposedly passing within pissing distance of it :rolleyes:

Stark wrote: »
    Why an overbridge, surely they wouldn't need to leave the Hill of Tara to protest since the motorway is supposedly passing within pissing distance of it :rolleyes:

In an interview on RTE linked to above, no tourist was remotely bothered about the M3; only one Irishman was deeply annoyed.

I'm glad the tolls are so low on this; I really think the M8 tolls need to be reduced for HGVs at least.

Tara Watch press release:
    PRESS RELEASE- TARAWATCH
    04 June 2010 ‘
    Colm Tóibín Joins Condemnation of M3 Motorway
    Leading Irish writers, Colm Tóibín, yesterday condemned the construction of the M3 motorway, through the Hill of Tara landscape and archaeological complex. He has joined the long list of celebrities and artists, including Seamus Heaney, Paul Muldoon, Louis le Brocquy, Jim Fitzpatrick, Robert Ballagh, and the Chieftains, who have condemned the M3 motorway, along with arts group Aosdána. Speaking from Kerry where he is Chairman of the Listowel Writer’s Week Mr. Tóibín said:
    “The desecration of the landscape around Tara is shameful, short-sighted and beyond belief. In a time when Ireland needs places which have a sacred aura and a special beauty more than ever, it is sad to see those who have misruled our country ganging up on our heritage.’
    His words echo those of Seamus Heaney, who told BBC in March 2008: “If ever there was a place that deserved to be preserved in the name of the dead generations from pre-historic times up to historic times up to completely recently – it was Tara.” He called the M3 a “ruthless desecration”, and said: “I think it literally desecrates an area – I mean the word means to de-sacralise and for centuries the Tara landscape and the Tara sites have been regarded as part of the sacred ground.”
    While the M3 motorway is opening today, the controversy will continue for years to come:
    - The European Commission is currently taking a case against Ireland, in the European Court of Justice, for breach of the Environmental Impact Assessment Directive, due to the decision of Dick Roche to demolish the Lismullin national monument, in Tara.
    - Tara is being nominated to UNESCO to be a World Heritage Site, this July. Professor George Eogan, Professor Emeritus of Archaeology at UCD has said it is likely that UNESCO will not be pleased that a motorway has been just opened in the middle of the very site they are being asked to protect.
    - Tara was placed on the List of 100 Most Endangered Sites by the World Monuments Fund (WMF) in 2006, and other international organisations, such as the Smithsonian Institution, the Archaeological Institute of America (AIA), Sacred Sites International, and the World Archaeological Congress (WAC).
    - The Heritage Council is piloting the Tara Skryne Landscape Conservation Area, which covers a large area around Tara, and will place planning restrictions on both sides of the motorway. which are being challenged by local Fianna Fail councillors. Public consultation ends Wed 16 June.
    - Finally, a human rights complaint is being prepared for the UN, which will detail the the litany of human rights abuses that have facilitated the construction of the M3.
    Matt Schwoebel head of the 2048 Project at University of Berkeley law school, California, who was detained by Immigration officials at Dublin Airport and sent back to the US last November, said yesterday: “The human right to heritage sites of particular historical and religious significance is recognized in international law.
    “These special places are inextricably connected to how people define themselves as communities and families. “The response by the government and police forces to the concerns of people raised during the protests are also of particular concern, and should be rectified accordingly.” The complaint will be presented to the UN and UNESCO this summer.
    Vincent Salafia of TaraWatch said: “We have been completely vindicated in our campaign against the route of this road. The majority of Irish people, including most of our leading artists, as well as the EU and the major international archaeological bodies, have condemned it.
    “The same reckless disregard for ethics, rights and regulation that brought down the economy, was employed to bulldoze this road through.
    “The real kicker is yet to come, when traffic levels will show that the taxpayer will start paying millions of euros every year to the toll company, because of traffic fails to meet the traffic guarantee which was secretly written into the M3 contract by the NRA.
    ENDS Contact: Vincent Salafia 085-192-7032 / Laura Grealish 087-972-8603
    http://www.tarawatch.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

It's hard to believe how little TV exposure these major projects are getting...these are historic days! Hopefully the 6 and 9 news will have more than 90 seconds footage.

• Advertisement

wellbutty wrote: »
    It's hard to believe how little TV exposure these major projects are getting...these are historic days! Hopefully the 6 and 9 news will have more than 90 seconds footage.

Absolutely - a comprehensive documentary series should have been made. I mean, they'll make a series about people renovating their semi-d; why not make one about the construction of a massive and historic motorway network? The M7 Bog Of Doom section, the M3 protests, the Suir Bridge - all deeply meritorious of a documentary, not to mention a programme on the design and physical construction of the roads. The construction of each interurban could and should have been documented. RTÉ have let us down badly on this one. Thankfully we have some sort of a record here on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement