Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incessant Barking

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey everybody, this will be a bit of a rant but please bear with me.
    My neighbours got a dog last september it looks mostly like a lab but its definitely not a purebreed. The dog, at the start whined at night if it was a cold night or whatever but then seemed to get over the whining for a while, maybe they took it inside, i don't actually know. But recently the dog has begun to bark almost all day and night long! Not the normal one or two barks (like the other dogs other neighbours have) but full on hours of barking each night followed by about half an hour of whines and occasionally some silence.
    The family have children who I do see playing with the dog and I wouldn't say they are cruel or mistreat the dog, as I have no solid reason to believe they do. Is this barking normal? Will the dog grow out of it? :confused:
    (I'm assuming the dog is no longer regarded as a puppy as it has been eight months since they got it and it has grown considerably but seems to have stopped getting any larger.)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

You could be one of my neighbour!

I live beside a dog who barks all day and especially at night. Sleeping is impossible. The dog barks, whines, growls without stopping the WHOLE night long

It is so frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Can you see into the garden? Does the dog have a kennel, water and food everyday? Does it look pretty health and not skinny. Is it ever walked?

It could be bored, do they play with it much, or not very often? If it's just left in the garden by itself all the time then it would bark. or it could be hungry if not being fed enough, my dogs only bark if they're hungry, if I don't feed them enough then they'd bark all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

In my case - the dog is left in back garden all day every day. Even on the very cold nights he is left outside.

I can see into the garden, yes he has a wooden kennel but he is tied from a rope around the neck to a fence and never let loose to run. He just looks at the children playing and barks, barks, barks. :(

The dog is very very skinny, it broke loose once and came to my back door growling, I gave it scraps to eat, he ate every bit, he was starving.

I have contacted local dog warden and ISPCA but nothing has happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

morganafay wrote: »
    Can you see into the garden? Does the dog have a kennel, water and food everyday? Does it look pretty health and not skinny. Is it ever walked?

It could be bored, do they play with it much, or not very often? If it's just left in the garden by itself all the time then it would bark. or it could be hungry if not being fed enough, my dogs only bark if they're hungry, if I don't feed them enough then they'd bark all night.

Yes I've watched the dog for a few weeks, it has a large kennel, food and water changed at least once a day (its possible I miss some feeding times as I dont just sit staring out the window :o). It looks to be a healthy weight although I have never seen it be walked or played with for longer than a few minutes.
    Would it be too much to call the ISPCA/relevant authority? I mean the only problem is the barking the dog doesnt seem to suffer from cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The ISPCA probably wouldn't be able to do anything but might go to the house and just have a word with them, possibly. You could complain to someone about the noise though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dogs have evolved to bond with humans so we stick them in a garden & ignore them.

Your local authority may be your only option as the dog's owners are clearly causing a noise nuisance that prevents you from enjoying your home. Keep an accurate daily log of when it barks & any other actions that the neighbours take.

Have you spoken to the neighbour as this would be preferable to legal action ?. The amazing thing is how people are deaf to their own dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Can definately sympathise with anyone living next door to barking dogs as I have that problem myself, 3 dogs in my case. 2 of the dogs live outside 24/7 in a small backgarden, they are not cruelly treated from the point of view that they have shelter, food and water so a welfare organisation won't really interfere. The dogs however have little or no human contact other than their dinner thrown out once a day and every other day someone comes out to pick up the poo. They have never in 5 years ever been walked which is the root of their barking. There is a form you can download to make a complaint to the courts but the owner must be spoken to first, I was considering going down that road myself but we've decided to move (not because of this) so there's no point now.

Advertisement