Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood stove flue damaging ceiling plasterboard

Options
  • 02-06-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Bought house recently with wood burning stove in the dining room. Think it was bit of an afterthought by prev owners. The flue goes straight up through the first floor to the bedroom above and continues through roof. Problem is that the heat is cracking the plasterboard where the flue enters the ceiling in the dining room. Must have been patched before we moved in but it's getting worse. They also left a gap around where the flue enters ceiling in the bedroom above. There is also a leak causing water to come down the flue, but that's just a matter of patching the flashing.

Stove is against wall with hall behind it so i don't have option to re-route it directly outside through wall.

Can I get a material to prevent damage to the plasterboard?
    I've never seen a flue going through 2 rooms like this and wonder if it's gonna be a continuous problem and if I should just take it out altogether?

any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

blu79 wrote: »
    Bought house recently with wood burning stove in the dining room. Think it was bit of an afterthought by prev owners. The flue goes straight up through the first floor to the bedroom above and continues through roof. Problem is that the heat is cracking the plasterboard where the flue enters the ceiling in the dining room. Must have been patched before we moved in but it's getting worse. They also left a gap around where the flue enters ceiling in the bedroom above. There is also a leak causing water to come down the flue, but that's just a matter of patching the flashing.

Stove is against wall with hall behind it so i don't have option to re-route it directly outside through wall.

I've never seen a flue going through 2 rooms like this and wonder if it's gonna be a continuous problem and if I should just take it out altogether?

any help would be great.

I would advise you get an installation expert to look at this.

Im getting the feeling from your post that it might have been a DIY job.

these flus can get cherry red hot on a full burn.(Mine has) God forbid it causes a fire in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

any help would be great.

I'd add an outer pipe over the length of the flue with some glasswool stuffed between the two, to centre to outer pipe on the inner. It would involve dissassembling the flue pipe and cutting holes larger in ceilings/floors to accomodate the larger diameter pipe but you'd get the benefits of a safe surface downstairs and no problem with cracking plaster.

If the upstairs is boxed in, you could just do it downstairs - if it's possible to remove just the downstair section/add pipe/reinstall.

I don't know what's standard for such two-pipe flues but I'd be imagining the outer pipe should be 1" to 1 1/2" larger diameter than the inner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

any help would be great.

I certainly wouldn't be using it based on that description. I've seen one stove go through a bedroom upstairs but they have a double-wall flue like a previous poster suggested, plus they get useful heat in the bedroom too.

Where are you based, I could give you the number of the man who fixed ours after the first guy made a cockup of both installs. We have a plate covering the entry of the flue into the wall, and the insulated p'board is cut back by 50mm and the space filled by sand and cement.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Double wall flue, fire rated board. Get it checked by someone in the know, this can cause a fire very rapidly and is not somthing to take chances with. The issue of insulation needs to be addressed as well, if you have polystyrene or other flammable insulation near this flue, it could be trouble, sounds dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blu79

Thanks for the info guys. Relief to know there is a solution that's not too drastic. Sunnysoutheast-I'm in sunny south east myself so will you send me on that contact please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement