Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steering wheel knob

Options
  • 21-05-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Was surfing the web for car parts, as you do during work hours, and came across something that triggered memories from days gone by -
    the steering wheel knob! A old geezer next door had a Merc (I think) with one of these yokes and I was fascinated by it when I was a young lad.

Probably not legal any more but at the time I thought it was a great invention :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a knob called "easy rider" eh?......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

you can buy them at the petrol station in Dublin port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I'd say power steering did away with the need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

People who can't use pedals (paralysis, etc.) and have to use hand controls for throttle/brake usually have these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Maybe alright if you have no power steering or drive a fork lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I've seen then used on the origional Mini for those timed competitions where you zoom around a car park and have to reverse into tight parking spaces and so on. They're a very quick way to get the steering from full left to full right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I bought one, but it says on the packet that it is not intended for on-road use.
    It may well be against the rules to use it in your car.

I used it to try it out in a field - works fine, but not really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

We call them suicide knobs, and for a very good reason too. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know a disabled driver, and he told me a while ago that they are only legal when necessary for disabled drivers. This guy cannot use his legs, so steers with one hand and controls accelerator/brake with the other hand via a push-pull linkage.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Loads on eBay.

Must say I've seen quite a few of them on vans and big lorries.

Would love one on my '57 Belair...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Illegal ?? Surely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

oh that sort of knob...sorry thought i was on after-hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

esel wrote: »
    I know a disabled driver, and he told me a while ago that they are only legal when necessary for disabled drivers. This guy cannot use his legs, so steers with one hand and controls accelerator/brake with the other hand via a push-pull linkage.

Yup.
    I have one in my car

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Old thread I know but it seems the legality of steering knobs wasn't fully addressed so I'm hoping someone has a definite answer as to whether or not they're legal

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would be mod that needs notifying to your insurer (as control using one is appalling and hence much more risky) at the very least

Advertisement