Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI licenses what's lowest cost option

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out the best was to purchase and license maps for use in environmental reporting, just a few a year.
    This would be slightly different from the Environmental report that the osi offer, as it will need to show SACs and NHAs in a 15km radius from the site, they do a more detailed report over just 1000m.

I can see from the osi web site that I can license the use of maps from about €6 an image (A4 on table 4 in one of the pdfs on this page http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/copyright.aspx), would this cover scanning in the discovery map.

Or is there anywhere that I could purchase a 20x20km raster (or vector / dwg would be better) for one off use. I don't really want to increase the price of my reports by more than say €60-80.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might find that the OSi do this already. Best to talk to them.

OSi will sell you maps in various digital formats, no need to go scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Victor wrote: »
    You might find that the OSi do this already. Best to talk to them.

OSi will sell you maps in various digital formats, no need to go scanning.

To deal with OSI directly you must be placing an order of >€3000! I've emailed two of their agents in the midlands and they haven't even replied.
    Actually looking at openstreetmaps now, that might be good enough for the overview as it has the county boundaries and major towns and I could always update the area around the site on their server. NPWS provide the GIS data for the areas of conservation on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Welcome KAGY, just thought you might fine our 'useful links' page handy:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858970

Unfortunately, I'm not a geography expert, I just keep the place tidy. There are some very knowledgeable people here, whenever they wander in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

UCD Richview Library have a map library, they might be worth giving a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Been lookinng for this myself recently,

CSO supply a free blank ED shape file if that is any good?

http://beyond2020.cso.ie/censusasp/saps/boundaries/census2006_boundaries.htm

Not sure if thats what you're looking for. I go to the Glucksman Map library in Trinity for all my maps, they are very helpful, but will charge around 6-8 for A1 copies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

El Siglo wrote: »
    UCD Richview Library have a map library, they might be worth giving a try.

They are also OSi agents so they may be able to assist you. As a student I got a few maps printed off by them and it was about €4 and they are very helpful. You dont need a card or anything to get into the library. Its on the Clonskeagh side of campus.

Advertisement