Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittish Soldier killed 7 hours after he gets back from Afghan

Options
  • 18-05-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Sky News
    A soldier attacked and knocked unconscious outside a club just hours after returning from Afghanistan has died in hospital.

David Grout had returned from Afghanistan only seven hours before he was attacked
    Signalman David Grout suffered severe head injuries in an incident outside Eston Institute working men's club in Eston, Middlesbrough, last Tuesday.
    Cleveland Police confirmed that the 22-year-old died in Middlesbrough's James Cook University Hospital at lunchtime today.
    Signalman Grout, who joined the Army straight from school, leaves wife Kerry and 20-month-old son Harley.
    He had returned from fighting in Afghanistan only seven hours before he was attacked.
    He made it through a warzone unscathed to come back and be put in hospital by scumbags.
    Relative of David Grout
    He was out with his mother and step-father in Eston, and had gone outside the Institute for a cigarette at around 6.30pm when two men confronted him.
    Witnesses said that after a brief conversation, one threw a punch at the soldier, who fell to the ground and suffered serious head injuries.

Catterick Garrison
    As a member of the 204 Squadron of the Royal Signals, based at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire, he had spent the previous two months in Helmand Province before returning home for a short break.
    On David's Facebook profile, he had written: "Love my wife and son so very much I can't wait to come home and hold you both so close. Missing you loads. Don't worry Harley daddy will be home soon."
    After the attack the soldier's family told how they and David had been grieving the loss of his grandmother Margaret Grout, who died three weeks ago, aged 74.
    A family member said: "When he was at home, he just wanted to spend time with his family and have a rest from work.

David Grout was punched
    "I know he had been worried about going back to Afghanistan, but his gran told him it would be all right and off he went.
    "Sadly, just four weeks ago, his Gran passed away and he missed her funeral. He was devastated to be away when she died.
    "He'd only been back in the country for a few hours when this happened. He made it through a war zone unscathed to come back and be put in hospital by scumbags.
    "If they think they are big men, they should get over to Afghanistan and see what real men are like. David is the brave one - not them - he's the one fighting for his country."
    A 19-year-old arrested in connection with the incident has been released on police bail, pending further inquiries.

Imagine, his family delighted he's finally home, next minute some scumbag kills him after avoiding death in the war.. Makes me feel ill tbh..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Jesus thats horrific its sad when anybody is murdered by some scumbag outside a club but when the guy has fought in a war and is celebrating his return its terrible!!and the scum who did it should get 30 years plus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Poor man. Terrible for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Prob was Scumacide Bummer.

/Runs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Aren't soldiers supposed to be tough?
    Or is that just the case when they're shoving a machine gun into the face of some poor, downtrodden, unarmed farmer out in whatever country they're invading?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Very sad outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Smcgie wrote: »

That makes no sense whatsoever. go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Or is that just the case when they're shoving a machine gun into the face of some poor, downtrodden, unarmed farmer out in whatever country they're invading?

sounds like he hit his head when he was knocked down. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of wars, I feel sorry for this guys family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Smcgie wrote: »

That would have been a terrible joke even if it weren't for the man who died after only seven hours home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Harley??????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

The British should bring their troops home and use them to wage war against the gangs of scum that are holding many of their cities to ransom.

We should take our soldiers out of their barracks and do the same. Send them into gangland limerick and shoot those animals back to the stone age.

• Advertisement

A family member said: "When he was at home, he just wanted to spend time with his family and have a rest from work.

He'd been home 7 hours
    Signalman David Grout suffered severe head injuries in an incident outside Eston Institute working men's club in Eston, Middlesbrough, last Tuesday.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

That makes no sense whatsoever. go away.

Anyone else read that with Terence Stamp's voice in their head?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    The British should bring their troops home and use them to wage war against the gangs of scum that are holding many of their cities to ransom.

We should take our soldiers out of their barracks and do the same. Send them into gangland limerick and shoot those animals back to the stone age.

The gangsters are already in the stone age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You've watched braveheart one too many times, son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Sykk wrote: »
    Sky News

Imagine, his family delighted he's finally home, next minute some scumbag kills him after avoiding death in the war.. Makes me feel ill tbh..
    Maybe karma?

rubbish the Taliban are certainly not unarmed farmers
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6768801.stm

They ambush schoolgirls because they dont think women should get an education jeez Irish soldiers are in Afghanistan too and it has a UN mandate
    http://unama.unmissions.org/default.aspx?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The gangsters are already in the stone age.

I wish they were. Sad reality is they have all manners of weaponary. Including surface to air missiles. On second thoughts perhaps its better if we don't pit the Irish army against them.... as they would probably lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

I don't want to drag this way OT, but why just Limerick? I dont have to go anywhere near there to find ****ebags.

You've watched braveheart one too many times, son.

I love the scene where Tom Cruise carpet bombs Mel Gibson's family cos the rohypnol wouldn't work on her.
    Son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

digme wrote: »
    Maybe karma?

beat me to it

• Advertisement

I wonder how many Afghani lives were saved by this incident?

None. A replacement will be found. Thats as obvious as those that killed him were scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Biggins wrote: »
    None. A replacement will be found. Thats as obvious as those that killed him were scum.
    ya there's plenty of retards around the place,even some from ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Thats sad alright, he had a young family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

digme wrote: »
    Maybe karma?

Do you know anything about the guy to be making that comment, or is it that just because he is in the army he deserved to murdered in the street while out with his family?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Afghan isn't a place.
    Afghanistan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sky News

You never know what was said between the parties involved. People will always stick up for the person who died.

ps I'm not saying he was in the wrong, i'm just saying
    Also, to me, being in the army is just like working any other job

Afghan isn't a place.
    Afghanistan is.

True - its a woof place!
    One is just more woof than the other.

I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sounds like it was a sucker punch and he had an impact in just the "right" place to kill him.
    He'd been home 7 hours

Hmmm.
    And have a rest from work.

It's sad and all, but if that witness's statement is accurate I wouldn't be calling for the perp to be strung up, it was one punch like. Tragic outcome though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

They're over there following orders in the hopes of eventually making the world a safer place...they're a brave bunch of boys and I feel so sorry for their families. If my son was over there I can't imagine the terror i'd be living with.....Lord have mercy on him, my thoughts and prayers are with his poor family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement