Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends

• 16-05-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

This is my TS's flavour of the month and my god it's addictive and fun! Guys who made dota are behind it so you have a mix of RPS/RTS/PVP/PVE great fun and the depth is unreal there's more classes then you could possibly imagine!
    If you have 5 mates or even 3 mates go download this (5v5 is the most accessible mode)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its all about the Heroes of Newerth tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Man, HoN players really hate LoL.

Spunge wrote: »
    Man, HoN players really hate LoL.

95% of HoN players are utterly retarded though. you have to pay some sort of sub to LoL to get the most out of it though dont ya? HoN is a one off payment of $30 and looks to be the better actual game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jazzy wrote: »
    95% of HoN players are utterly retarded though. you have to pay some sort of sub to LoL to get the most out of it though dont ya? HoN is a one off payment of $30 and looks to be the better actual game

Nope not need to buy anything there's the in game currency IP and you can buy another currency RP with real money, honestly the playing field is extremely level you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a person who isnt paying money for this game and another that is.

Bundles that unlock a large selection of champions can be purchased for RP only.

pretty darn big advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

Stev_o wrote: »
    If you have 5 mates or even 3 mates go download this (5v5 is the most accessible mode)

I'll give this a miss so, have no mates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I bought HON a few months back. I played a couple of games thinking my time with Demigod would help.

I chose a game labelled "For Noobs Only! DOn't play of you're experienced!" I spent the whole game getting grief from my team mates because I kept dying :rolleyes:

You can buy a disc copy of LOL as well that gives you access to a lot of the heroes as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I bought HON a few months back. I played a couple of games thinking my time with Demigod would help.

I chose a game labelled "For Noobs Only! DOn't play of you're experienced!" I spent the whole game getting grief from my team mates because I kept dying :rolleyes:

You can buy a disc copy of LOL as well that gives you access to a lot of the heroes as far as I know.

Same, Was completely new to the genre, tried the Beta i think it was..or was it free at the start..anyways...tried to get into it, had no aspirations, I knew I was a noob, but jesus...unlimited grief. No time to ask what did what, game got uninstalled after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

pretty darn big advantage
    You can get every one of the 40 original champs for the €30 mark so it's the same as HoN in that respect. The only difference being that if you want to pay nothing you can. There are 10 free champs each week that rotate so you can eventually try them all.

As said above, anything that offers a competitive advantage can be bought with points you earn from playing games.

Lol is a great game when you're on a good time and the opposite of fun when you're not. So finding people to play with is a good idea. And yes, the learning curve goes pretty much straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I wont be buying HoN for a few days so i think ill try this out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

As a person who missed the boat on DOTA, which would be more noob friendly?

I heard LoL has a decent community and that HoN is full of the elitist players from DOTA.

As a person who missed the boat on DOTA, which would be more noob friendly?

I heard LoL has a decent community and that HoN is full of the elitist players from DOTA.
    I have only played LoL but I have heard similar i.e. that the LoL community is more friendly. However a thick skin is still probably required.
    Best advice I can give to anyone starting is not to die. I know that sounds obvious but it's important for many reasons including giving the enemy gold and xp, losing you xp while you're out of lane and possibly losing a tower if no one covers your lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

LoL seems to have way more tolerant players (though less so since the open release). HoN is a better game though with destructable environments etc. I'm playing LoL though cause I dont want 12 yr olds telling me I'm crappy (HoN also has voice chat).

In LoL you can play the whole game for free. You pay actual money for different skins for the champions, boosts which help you level faster (it doesnt take long to reach the level cap of 30 and you're probably better off taking your time and learning from each game since it attempts to match you against people of roughly equal skill), and you can buy characters if you don't want to save up the points you earn from each game to get them for free.

HoN is better when you get good. Id play DotA first out of all of them though if i was a n00b. just because HoN and LoL are new doesnt mean that DotA isnt as good as them and better in some ways also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

HoN is better when you get good. Id play DotA first out of all of them though if i was a n00b. just because HoN and LoL are new doesnt mean that DotA isnt as good as them and better in some ways also

it should be noted that jazzy is bad at all 3 games!

You've freely admitted you know nothing much about LoL so how do you know "HoN is better when you get good"?
    It would be pointless to try and get into DotA at this stage if you're new. New doesn't automatically imply better but it can be the case that a new game is better than its predecessors. With a new version of a game more features can be implemented that old communities may have resisted or features that old engines were simply not capable of creating.

Dustaz wrote: »
    it should be noted that jazzy is bad at all 3 games!

lal

not true seifer - cod 4 > cod mw2. CS 1.6 > CSS. Q3 > Q4. UT2004 > UT3.
    older games can simply be better then new ones and in a lot of cases, easier to play. and I know HoN is better then LoL once your good because I do ;)

lal

not true seifer - cod 4 > cod mw2. CS 1.6 > CSS. Q3 > Q4. UT2004 > UT3.
    older games can simply be better then new ones and in a lot of cases, easier to play. and I know HoN is better then LoL once your good because I do ;)
    Lol? (the laughing kind)
    Is CoD4 worse than every CoD game before it?
    Is UT2004 worse than all its predecessors?
    Is TF2 worse than TFC?

I didn't say older games can't be better. I said that there is no correlation. Some times the sequel/spin-off is better and other times it is not. You can provide examples of both cases.

id put CoD 2 as the best in the series. TF2 seems very different to old school TFC tho. and yeah, ut2004 is better then ut'99' :p

theres no creep denying in LoL, no tower denying, no loss of gold when you die, different fog of war system (id probably welcome that though. well, maybe). looking through all the differences, LoL definately seems to be very friendly for n00bs to the genre. certainly seems more streamlined in many ways but i definately think that HoN has a higher skill curve

theres no creep denying in LoL, no tower denying, no loss of gold when you die, different fog of war system (id probably welcome that though. well, maybe). looking through all the differences, LoL definately seems to be very friendly for n00bs to the genre. certainly seems more streamlined in many ways but i definately think that HoN has a higher skill curve
    Yes, there is no friendly fire in LoL. The devs (some of whom were involved with DotA) decided it was counter-intuitive and not fun. I can't confirm or deny if this is better because I haven't played with denying.
    During the beta they tested making your gold stop ticking while you were dead and it was decided it produced too much of a snowball effect. You still fall behind from being out of lane of course.
    Your opinion seems to have been formed without playing the game so it doesn't really count for much does it?

• Advertisement

Seifer wrote: »
    Your opinion seems to have been formed without playing the game so it doesn't really count for much does it?

it has been formed out of years of competitive playing and understanding how skill curves work in games and what aspects make for a more competitive game. good game/bad game isnt what im talking about here, LoL seems like a good game alright but i will garauntee you 100% that it wont nearly be as competitive as HoN/DotA.

it has been formed out of years of competitive playing and understanding how skill curves work in games and what aspects make for a more competitive game. good game/bad game isnt what im talking about here, LoL seems like a good game alright but i will garauntee you 100% that it wont nearly be as competitive as HoN/DotA.
    I didn't think the OP was suggesting LoL was the most competitive game. That's a whole other debate not worth getting into as it will affect 0.000001% readers of this thread.
    It would be foolish of me to continue to argue with a man with such impressive credentials so I'll bow out.

I didn't think the OP was suggesting LoL was the most competitive game. That's a whole other debate not worth getting into as it will affect 0.000001% readers of this thread.
    It would be foolish of me to continue to argue with a man with such impressive credentials so I'll bow out.

well not my fault you get bitten in the ass when you try and scrub sum1 elses opinion because you really love LoL and took a bit of offence at the game being called lower skilled then HoN and DotA. the fact that you cant come up with any reasons at all on why i might be wrong is kinda proof of this so why not try some underhanded comments to make yourself feel better? and they say the LoL community isnt like the HoN one? ironic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The reason I was overlooking DOTA is that it has a built up community and player base that might not tolerate a noob so much. A new game's community is usually a little more forgiving as they expect new players to join and not have a clue.

well not my fault you get bitten in the ass when you try and scrub sum1 elses opinion because you really love LoL and took a bit of offence at the game being called lower skilled then HoN and DotA. the fact that you cant come up with any reasons at all on why i might be wrong is kinda proof of this so why not try some underhanded comments to make yourself feel better? and they say the LoL community isnt like the HoN one? ironic lol
    Last one, I swear as this just reached new depths:

I have not taken offence. My identity is not embroiled in a game I play. I am not a football fan.

I was never arguing that LoL was a more competitive game as that is not what the thread is about.

I wouldn't be so ignorant as to discuss a topic I am not informed on i.e. I have only played LoL so I can only comment on it.

As for underhanded comments maybe you should look at your own posts before complaining about others.

Definitely done this time, even if you do manage to out-troll yourself.

The reason I was overlooking DOTA is that it has a built up community and player base that might not tolerate a noob so much. A new game's community is usually a little more forgiving as they expect new players to join and not have a clue.

believe it or not HoN would be much more abrasive then DotA. dota has new players joining and playing all the time and is more welcoming in my view.

dont play the fool. underhanded smartass comment because you felt a bit offended that i suggested the game you play might not be as 'competitive' as HoN and you had no way of argueing it so you might as well try and make yourself feel good somehow.
    Seifer wrote:

As for underhanded comments maybe you should look at your own posts before complaining about others.

and where in this thread did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Personally I think HoN is almost without doubt a better technical product, but the community seems way way worse. So advice I'd have is pick HoN if you've lots of experience with the genre, maybe a group of similar friends who you can play with competitively, and go with LoL if you are newer to this gameplay type, and are more interested in it for less competitive reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

HoN is by far the most inaccessible multiplayer game I have ever played - you literally have to practice, do your homework and really put in some serious time to be able to play without getting blasted out of it by your teammates and rightly so. As jazzy said when you know your stuff and can play well the game real value is unlocked and it can be really enjoyable. LoL is the Duplo equivalent of HoN's lego technic - its effectively the same game but is a lot less complex and a lot more accessible accoridingly.

Just to clarify a point on the communities of both these games - HoN's community is aggressive not because "they are all 12 year olds that spend all day playing" but because HoN is a team based game where u rely on the competence of total strangers - which coupled with internet anonymity is a recipe for spewed rage - its the equivalent of playing a class restricted game of tf2 with someone on your team taking the only medic but doesnt know how to use a mouse - you could be the best player in the world only but will die 2v1. Add to that its virtually impossible with language barriers and the concentration it takes to play your own game to begin explaining the entire game to a new player at the same time. LoL is less complex and the skill bar is set lower - this means there is less reliance on team synergy.

I go from 0 to rage in a very short time in HoN as nothing bothers me more then losing due to some total strangers' failure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

HoN is without a doubt home to the most vile community of players of any game i've played. I dont think Ive ever read so much hate in chat ever.

I played a bit of dota and that was pretty bad, but when i tried out HoN for a while, while i liked the game (altho bloody hell, why didnt they try to correlate some names and abilities from the dota heros :( ) the playerbase was horrible. I only played it for as long as i did cos i was playing with a few guys i knew on vent and thought id get a giggle from beat jazzy every time i played against him (hes really bad)

• Advertisement

b1b40.jpg

Advertisement