Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 MLB Regular Season Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What a miserable weekend for the M's

Swept by the White Sox. And Both Friday and saturdays games were lost while ahead in the bottom of the 9th.

*sigh*

So today is the start of a 3 game series in Kansas City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What a miserable weekend for the M's

Swept by the White Sox. And Both Friday and saturdays games were lost while ahead in the bottom of the 9th.

*sigh*

So today is the start of a 3 game series in Kansas City.

Ozzie getting ejected for losing his rag over the runner being given home after the fan interference was worth a chuckle though

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭RizzoJR

Ozzie getting ejected for losing his rag over the runner being given home after the fan interference was worth a chuckle though

I think he got himself ejected cause his team is embarassing him,
    and he doesnt want to watch no more.

Yes, that was classic.

M's old manager Lou Pinella (now with the cubs) was the champion at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

The Mets have quietly snuck to the top of the NL East with 8 wins in their last 9, having been last in the NL East on FRIDAY!

Not a bad run, capped nicely by Bay's first homer as a Met (at last), a 4-hit day by Wright (who may be coming out of his funk) and the usual questionable pitching effort by Ollie "Walk-em-all" Perez.

Bring on the brooms for this evening's finale against the Dodgers. Maine's due a decent performance.

• Advertisement

dramabob wrote: »
    The Mets have quietly snuck to the top of the NL East with 8 wins in their last 9, having been last in the NL East on FRIDAY!

Not a bad run, capped nicely by Bay's first homer as a Met (at last), a 4-hit day by Wright (who may be coming out of his funk) and the usual questionable pitching effort by Ollie "Walk-em-all" Perez.

Bring on the brooms for this evening's finale against the Dodgers. Maine's due a decent performance.

Maine looked pretty good alright. One dodgy inning (excuse the pun!) but that was followed by an inning where he struck out 3 on just 10 pitches. Pity he couldn't get through the 7th as I don't think any Mets pitcher has managed to do that yet.

9-1 homestand is good on paper but I still think they're not quite contenders yet. They got lucky in a few of the games against the Cubs and Braves who were awful in the field and made a few base running errors and the starters are putting too much pressure on the bull pen. Although the pen's doing alright at the moment, it's still April and over the season the number of innings they're pitching will wear them down.

Anyway, let's hope the good form continues on the road and they're in good shape for the next homestand against the Giants and Nationals which I'll be at.

Anyway, let's hope the good form continues on the road and they're in good shape for the next homestand against the Giants and Nationals which I'll be at.

Will you see the giants or the nationals? or both?

The Giats would probably be more entertaining...

We havent been to a game yet. My gf is going to visit her family in Minniapolis this weekend and gets to go to agame in the Twins new stadium on Monday.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Will you see the giants or the nationals? or both?

The Giats would probably be more entertaining...

We havent been to a game yet. My gf is going to visit her family in Minniapolis this weekend and gets to go to agame in the Twins new stadium on Monday.

Gonna see both. I've tickets for all 6 games but probably will only go to about 4 of them. Definitely wanna see Lincecum pitch, even it means a Mets loss!

That Twins place looks pretty cool.

Gonna see both. I've tickets for all 6 games but probably will only go to about 4 of them. Definitely wanna see Lincecum pitch, even it means a Mets loss!

That Twins place looks pretty cool.

Nice. Thats dedication. I hope you have a great holiday and make it to all the games.

I'll keep an eye out for Mets news.

*sigh*

Haven't managed to get to Citi Field yet and most likely won't this year either. I've many fond memories of games at Shea though - a few Irish Nights and and even the 2002 opener against the Pirates (unsurprisingly, a win for the Mets).

The best craic was heading out to Shea on a Saturday afternoon, picking up $12 tickets at the gate and having a laugh. Can't imagine there are any $12 seats at Citi Field (though I could stand to be corrected).

As for this year, you don't win championships in April, but you can lose them. 13-9 is a lot easier on the eyes than 9-13, and it could have been that just as easily. Though the Mets are off to Philly tonight and Cincinatti after that (both of whom have good teams), both ballparks are significantly smaller than Citi's cavernous expanses. I'd like to see the boys hit a few of those long Citi fly-outs in Citizen's Bank Park and see how far up the second deck they land.

It's our pitching I'm more worried about going into the series with the Phils tonight. They've got a murderer's row that has the ability to punish mistakes, and hard. CBP won't be as forgiving as Citi in that respect.

Either way, I'll be tuning into mlb.com tonight!

• Advertisement

The best craic was heading out to Shea on a Saturday afternoon, picking up $12 tickets at the gate and having a laugh. Can't imagine there are any $12 seats at Citi Field (though I could stand to be corrected).
    !

You can still get cheap tickets at CitiField. They have 5 scales of prices depending on the quality of the opposition and when the game is on. For example, games against the Yankees are considered 'platinum' and tickets go from $27-$460. But for games against teams like the Nationals on a Monday or Tuesday evening, you can get tickets from as little as $11. Ok, it's in the top deck in the outfield but I sat out there for a game last year and it was grand.

This year I bought tickets in the $11-40 range so it's not the end of the world if I don't decide to go.

What a night last night for the Mets!

As I had hoped, the bats took off in the bandbox that is CBP, with Wright, Frenchy and Barajas (twice) going deep. Niese was effective through 7, striking out 7 and giving up just one run, carrying on the excellent run by Mets starting pitching. Pagan and Barajas had three hit nights, the infield made some great plays and the corner outfielders had some beauts! And best of all, we took Lidge out of the game after only 1 out.

If we can beat Halladay in today's matchup, it may be a sign of things to come...

*crosses fingers*

What a night last night for the Mets!

As I had hoped, the bats took off in the bandbox that is CBP, with Wright, Frenchy and Barajas (twice) going deep. Niese was effective through 7, striking out 7 and giving up just one run, carrying on the excellent run by Mets starting pitching. Pagan and Barajas had three hit nights, the infield made some great plays and the corner outfielders had some beauts! And best of all, we took Lidge out of the game after only 1 out.

If we can beat Halladay in today's matchup, it may be a sign of things to come...

*crosses fingers*

Yeah, nice start to the series last night.

I still think people are getting ahead of themselves though. 2 weeks ago people (including myself) were writing off the season and complaining about Omar and Manuel etc. Now one good streak and there are some who are sayig the team can contend for the World Series. I still think the Phillies are a level above the Mets but they're going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment. Their class will come through eventually though.

As for tonight, it should really be a good game. Last season Pelfrey was 4-0 at the start of the season and it all went pretty pear shaped after that so here's hoping he continues his good form. I can't see Halliday geting whacked around again like he was against SF so Pelf's gonna have to be at his best.

At this stage of the season it's all about staying in touch so even if either side wins the next 2, it's still not the end of the world for the other. It'd be nice to sweep the Phillies in their own back yard but even if they do, there's still another 130+ games to go so it's not as big a deal as some would have you believe - look at the Yankes. They lost the first 7 or 8 against Boston last year but ended up doing alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Hey

Can anyone give me a reliable streaming site to watch the SF Giants in action. Its very hard to find the game online one you don't watch the 'popular' teams such as the yanks, mets, cubs or sox

Subscribe to MLB.TV and you can watch every game from every team either live or delayed. It costs about $100 for the full season so it might be reduced in price now but it's worth every penny in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Good win for the mets last night. Playing Giants now and hoping to extend there home streak to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

So the douchebag that is Dallas Braden has become the 19th pitcher to throw a perfect game.

We can sit back and watch the ego balloon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

Mad_Max wrote: »
    So the douchebag that is Dallas Braden has become the 19th pitcher to throw a perfect game.

Classic comment out of AJ Burnett about him hugging his grandmother.

"Grandma, I love you, but don't cross my mound!" Burnett cracked.

Gdep wrote: »
    Classic comment out of AJ Burnett about him hugging his grandmother.

"Grandma, I love you, but don't cross my mound!" Burnett cracked.

Would give anything to hear the audio of it. Classic line.

Hid gran gave an interview to a reporter (Why is she giving one??!) and she said 'stick it a-rod'.

What a classy family. Her grandson does something that only 18 other people have done in 100+ years and she has to have a pop at someone over some nothing that happened weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Eh...? Why exactly is Braden a douchebag? Because he told A-roid (who is ironically, the king of douchebaggery) where to shove his bat?

• Advertisement

Eh...? Why exactly is Braden a douchebag? Because he told A-roid (who is ironically, the king of douchebaggery) where to shove his bat?

No, because he keep it up for 2 weeks when EVERYONE had dropped it. His own GM had to ring him and tell him to shut up and his players told reporters he was being a dick.

Then he does an interview after all that and says it's going to have to come to knuckles! He's from some area in cali and thats how they roll.

THAT is why he's a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Benbolo

No, because he keep it up for 2 weeks when EVERYONE had dropped it. His own GM had to ring him and tell him to shut up and his players told reporters he was being a dick.

Then he does an interview after all that and says it's going to have to come to knuckles! He's from some area in cali and thats how they roll.

THAT is why he's a douche.
    C'mon, it's A-Rod, he has a portrait as himself as a centaur, he deserves to be slated. Branden is probably the only person who has the balls to keep at him. Everyone's afraid to look bad in the majors, he probably doesn't give a **** what anyone thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

some win for the Mets last night went from 6-1 down to win 6-8 , won the game in the last 2 innings .

some win for the Mets last night went from 6-1 down to win 6-8 , won the game in the last 2 innings .

Just back from NY where I saw the last 6 Mets games at Citifield. 3-3, could have been worse as they should have lost that game you mentioned and other wins were both walk off homers. I had a great time at the games but Ollie Perez is beyond a joke now. He has to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Mariners are really stuck in a rut at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hey dudes, not around here much anymore. Was at the Dodgers Brewers game last Thursday which Ethier won with a walk off grand slam. Great fun though the atmosphere in Dodger Stadium was far from what I was expecting.

113920.JPG

Hey dudes, not around here much anymore. Was at the Dodgers Brewers game last Thursday which Ethier won with a walk off grand slam. Great fun though the atmosphere in Dodger Stadium was far from what I was expecting.

IMG_0185.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

place is half empty

Believe it or not the announced crowd was 38k

• Advertisement

The way they measure MLB crowds is a joke. It's not how many people actually went through the turnstile that night but how many tickets were sold.

Therefore if a team has 10,000 season ticket holders, all of they are counted as having attended, even if only about half of them turn up.

MLB attendances are down across the board this season as well. I was at the Mets series against the Giants and the Nationals and if wasn't for a large contingent of SF fans, the place would have been barely half full on those days.

Advertisement