Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 MLB Regular Season Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its a shame about the 100 pitch limit on starting pitchers. Its mostly a contract thing the pitchers insist on to avoid injury and prolong their careers. I think in the old days it was one pitcher per game wasnt it? Did they even have closers?

There was a mariners game a couple of years ago that went into extra innings and they ran out of relief pitchers and had the catcher pitch.

The whole pitch count thing led to the 'draw' in the All-Star games a few years back which prompted MLB to impose the shambles that now exists where the home advantage in the World Series is decided by whichever squad wins the the All-Star Game. This is made worse by the fact every team has to be represented meaning that irrelevant players have an impact on who has an advantage in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yeah I've never quite understood the attraction of the all star game. And trying to add relevance to it by having it decide home advantage for the world series just exasperated my lack of appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Its a shame about the 100 pitch limit on starting pitchers. Its mostly a contract thing the pitchers insist on to avoid injury and prolong their careers. I think in the old days it was one pitcher per game wasnt it? Did they even have closers?

Its hardly a 'limit' and I don't think I've ever read of it being contractual with any pitcher but will stand corrected on that if it can be shown.

In yesterdays games there were 4 pitchers that I can see that went over 100. Not by much now but it's early in the season and starters wont be effective/efficient enough to go further and they won't be risked.

Flloyd: 105
    Arroyo: 109
    Billingsley: 107
    Romero: 103

CC was regularly throwing 110+ towards the end of last season for the yanks.

I'm not a fan of the pitch count watching tbh. YES are now showing the pitch count all the time on screen. Who needs to know that the SP has thrown 12 pitches in the first inning?! :rolleyes:

I'd never heard of the pitch count being in contracts either. I always thought it was just a guide.

Regarding CC, that man's an animal. He could probably throw 200 pitches, then come back the next day and do it all again!

Well indeed I could have been dreaming because I've been consulting the googles but they're not backing me up on contractual pitch count limits...

But i'll keep my eye out. I know I've heard about them.

As regards the 100 pitch limit, its really a 110 limit with the grey area between 100 and 110. (They wouldnt pull them out at exactly 100, they'll let them finish the inning.) which is why those pitch totals are between 100 and 110.

• Advertisement

Well indeed I could have been dreaming because I've been consulting the googles but they're not backing me up on contractual pitch count limits...

But i'll keep my eye out. I know I've heard about them.

As regards the 100 pitch limit, its really a 110 limit with the grey area between 100 and 110. (They wouldnt pull them out at exactly 100, they'll let them finish the inning.) which is why those pitch totals are between 100 and 110.

I think the word 'limit' makes it too black and white. Although the teams will try and keep the pitch count around the 100,110 mark, they can be flexible with it. Say for example a guy is throwing a no hitter and he finishes the 8th having thrown 110, they're definitely gonna leave him in as long as they can in the 9th to get the no hitter.

The only times I've heard of strict limits for pitchers is either in spring training when they're just easing their way into the season or with rookies who have never thrown major league number of innings or for a 6 month long season.

Look at Stephen Strasburg of the Nats. He's probably going to be on some sort or limit down at the AA club where he's starting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Anyone got a good link to watch the Giants v Braves game via streaming???

Sorry too late for the game but myp2p.eu is your best friend for the season. Used it for every home yankee game when I was blacked out in NY.

Look into the MLB pass if you're gonna watch games regularly!

Say for example a guy is throwing a no hitter and he finishes the 8th having thrown 110, they're definitely gonna leave him in as long as they can in the 9th to get the no hitter.

LOL damn you were close to being a profit!. Cracking effort from the big man there tonight.

Another great game for the yanks. Nice opening road trip, 4-2 against their biggest rivals. Tough series ahead against the Angels though.

• Advertisement

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Another great game for the yanks. Nice opening road trip, 4-2 against their biggest rivals. Tough series ahead against the Angels though.

And you can say the exact opposite of their city rivals.

2-4 at home, against the supposed weaker 2 teams in the division and now they go on a tough road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Benbolo

The Bloody Yankees! Ha I can't believe The sox threw it away twice, and then again to the Royals. Sometimes I wish the sox has the money the Yanks do. Fair play to CC to take it so far into the game.

Seattle Mariners...

:mad:

2 wins and 5 loses so far. wtf??? It all looked so positive last week.

Opening day is today in Seattle so maybe things will pick up when there's some home games. My commute goes past Safeco field so it'll be great to see the place lit up this afternoon.

Benbolo wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish the sox has the money the Yanks do.

LOLZ. The poor poor sox.

I dunno whats going on with the Angels but they're on a losing streak which I hope continues...

:rolleyes:

Park explains his poor first performance in stripes.

Best excuse ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Cubs up 8-1 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Derrek Lee had to leave Monday's game because of inflammation in his right thumb

Seattle Mariners have won their first series of the season by beating oakland 4-2 last night.

Vargas gets the win which is good. He was a rookie pitcher last year and messed pretty badly a couple of times so its good to see him develop.

They get a day off today and then a series against detroit tigers starts tomorrow.

Damn I'm starting to really regret passing on Cano in fantasy. He is absolutely murdering the ball at the minute. Every time, even his outs and absolutely being crushed.

His age 27 year, early doors but he's living up to the old adage of this being the best year.

• Advertisement

Anyone watch that Mets v Cardinals last night? I much prefer low scoring pitching duels to high scoring run fests. There were grest performances from both starters and both bullpens. You were on the edge the whole time knowing that it was likely to be a mistake that would win the game especially as both teams ran out of players.

In the end in what was a reversal of what you'd expect,K-Rod got the win, Pelfrey got the save and some position player from the Cards took the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭RizzoJR

Damn I'm starting to really regret passing on Cano in fantasy. He is absolutely murdering the ball at the minute. Every time, even his outs and absolutely being crushed.

His age 27 year, early doors but he's living up to the old adage of this being the best year.

who did you take instead? who did you take at 2b?

he's getting easier pitches cause tex and a-rod havent been getting on base much, well A-Rod OBP is .415!!!
    the big test over the season will be how he hits with RISP.

Kinsler, Roberts, A-Hill all crocked
    Figgy now 2b,
    but AL MI is looking even more shallow.

Pedroia has been MORE AWESOME than Cano esp with worse line-up
    though he does hit higher

Anyone watch that Mets v Cardinals last night? I much prefer low scoring pitching duels to high scoring run fests. There were grest performances from both starters and both bullpens. You were on the edge the whole time knowing that it was likely to be a mistake that would win the game especially as both teams ran out of players.

In the end in what was a reversal of what you'd expect,K-Rod got the win, Pelfrey got the save and some position player from the Cards took the loss.

Was that the one that went to 20 innings?

They kept mentioning it during the mariners game but it wasnt on tv out here in the west.

I think it was 0-0 up to the 17th inning and then we saw one team get a run and figured it was all over but then it tied at 1-1! Amazing.

RizzoJR wrote: »
    who did you take instead? who did you take at 2b?

he's getting easier pitches cause tex and a-rod havent been getting on base much, well A-Rod OBP is .415!!!
    the big test over the season will be how he hits with RISP.

Kinsler, Roberts, A-Hill all crocked
    Figgy now 2b,
    but AL MI is looking even more shallow.

Pedroia has been MORE AWESOME than Cano esp with worse line-up
    though he does hit higher

Can't remember who i took instead but I know I was thinking of grabbing him but thought I had a slim chance of him getting back to me the next round (I think 4th).

He's been fairly locked in with RISP so far (early doors I know)!

Franklin Guiterrez of the Mariners is one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Great finish to the Braves Phillies game last night. Jason Heyward is great to watch, seems to show so much maturity at the plate.

Great finish to the Braves Phillies game last night. Jason Heyward is great to watch, seems to show so much maturity at the plate.

Heyward is some player alright. And he looks so cool and calm for someone his age who has hit 4 HRs already. After last night's one he ran around the bases like he just hit a HR early in a meaningless spring training game.

Hopefully Bradley just needed a change of scenery and can now contribute a productive bat to what with a little luck will be a great season!

Wow. A shaky start alright but now the M's are really looking good. won 7 of their last 10 games.

Bradleys been a star, he's a changed man. I think its been two games now that he's got the game winning hit late in the game which is a big boost to someones morale. AN d his hitting record is pretty good now.

Today the Mariners get a day off (wtf do I watch on tv tonight??) and tomorrow they'll be in chicago for 3 games against the white sox followed by 3 against KC royals, two teams that look like they're in some trouble so thats good.

Hopefully it'll be a better road trip than the first one.

At last! The Mets win a series. It's only taken them 5 attempts but finally they win one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    competitively NL West is definitely the best. Consider that Diamondbacks came last this year! With Brandon Webb coming off the DL soon they have one of the best 1-2's in the league! San Diego are poor but Giants, Dodgers and Rockies could all win it and Arizona will be competitive. In the AL East neither Rays, Jays or Orioles will win it. It's a 2-man race and Rays have a chance of a wildcard maybe. Top 2 teams have just too much depth, and great rotations. NL West for me is the most exciting by far.

It's living up to my hype so far! Padres top and Dodgers last? This division is going to get more and more intriguing as the season progresses.

Advertisement