Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options
  • 08-04-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I mapped the 2010 route with the change on stage four on MapMyRide if anyone's interested:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/co.%20mayo/965127068504897146

Its handy because it can show the topography etc, but it can also show a graph of the ascents and descents. So, if like me you're a first timer this year, it'll give you an idea of the hills.

It's not 100% accurate due to the odd missing road on Google Maps, but I think it's fairly close.

Just getting properly stuck into training now...can't wait!

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 58 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 stars (good)
    41% 24 votes
    3 stars (average)
    50% 29 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    8% 5 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

Vitamin C wrote: »
    I mapped the 2010 route with the change on stage four on MapMyRide if anyone's interested:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/co.%20mayo/965127068504897146

Its handy because it can show the topography etc, but it can also show a graph of the ascents and descents. So, if like me you're a first timer this year, it'll give you an idea of the hills.

It's not 100% accurate due to the odd missing road on Google Maps, but I think it's fairly close.

Just getting properly stuck into training now...can't wait!

Hey, I'm a first timer as well, just signed up yesterday - what kind of training are you doing? Are you following what they recommend on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Hey, I'm a first timer as well, just signed up yesterday - what kind of training are you doing? Are you following what they recommend on the site?

Hi addictedtoshoes,

Someone PMd me asking the same thing, so I might as well post my reply, if anyone has the time they should post their training plans too, I found all the other ones up here and on other sites really helpful in making my own so the more the better.

I made my own programme, a friend of mine is a personal trainer so I got him to give it a look over and he said it was grand. I made the plan from researching other people's advice and plans from different sources on the web, but I plan on adjusting it as I get fitter, it's apparently really important to keep pushing yourself as opposed to getting comfortable in a routine and not upping it. It's fairly straight forward:

Monday: One hour jog

I was starting out from nothing so at the very beginning I was just doing short runs til I couldn't go any further, then walked fast til I catch my breath, then run again, and so on, can't believe how quickly stamina builds, I'm up to 6k in three weeks...it's a great motivator to see progress like that. (From next week my Monday training will be circuit training in UCD, it's only €3 for an hour and apparently really good, and you don't have to be a student either).

Wednesday: Cycle up to The Hell Fire Club car park, then walk up the steep path with the bike, then down the footpath on the bike.

I live in Rathfarnham so this isn't a long cycle for me, but it's a steep hill and good to get used to getting off the bike and climbing a steep hill, the legs go to jelly the first time. Again, it's stamina building, I've been trying to beat my time each week...

Friday: One hour jog

Saturday And Sunday: At the weekends I alternate week to week

Either a short, hard cycle on both days, (for example up to Three Rock or something really steep). Or else a longer cycle on one day, around 50 or 60 km.

I'm also doing squats and press ups and all that before each bit of training. Also, I recommend getting a heart rate monitor, I found that they're another good motivator and just a good indicator of progress. I'm being fairly casual about the whole thing, just trying to stick to that and if I can't no biggy.

I just realised this week how much a massive binge at the weekend can set you back, so I'm knocking the heavy sessions on the head for a month at least, mostly because when I drink I smoke a pile of smokes so I need to cut them down, but also to save some cash.

Vitamin C wrote: »
    Hi addictedtoshoes,

Someone PMd me asking the same thing, so I might as well post my reply, if anyone has the time they should post their training plans too, I found all the other ones up here and on other sites really helpful in making my own so the more the better.

Thanks vitamin c, this is really helpful. I started training today with short run - about 5k. It's the first time I've ran in about 6 months and it's scary how quickly you can lose your fitness! I've a long way to go before I'm ready for Gaelforce. I'll post my training log once a week, would be great to see other people's training plans as well. I'm not taking it too seriously either, if I manage to complete I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Im no expert (little more than a beginner in fact) but i did do gael force last year and have done a number of other race's similar to it.
    Heres my 2 cents

Training will all depend on what your overall goal is. If you want to be competitive obviously you will have to do much more training and your training will have to mimic the course.For GF this will mean lots of hill running.
    From what i saw last year what separates the elites from the rest of the field is Croke Patrick. I died on it last year and getting up and down took me 92 minutes. I think PeterX did it in something like 38 min up and down.

This year i want to do it in 4h 15min or better. Last year it took me 5h 20min but that was with a slight groin injury which hurt me in the hills.

To try and achieve my desired time my training will be as follows.

4 sessions a week

Session 1 : Trail running in a nearby forest which is on the side of a large hill. 10k

Session 2: Mountain running (10k) followed by 35k mountain bike (ballyhoura Forest)

Session 3: Gym work on core with some rowing machine throw in for good measure.

Sessions4: Road cycle of varying distances but usually between 50-80km on good roads.

As we get closer to the event (from June) I will be increasing the distances by about 30-40%.

This training suits me and where i live but might not be ideal for everyone. If i was to concentrate on any one aspect of GF it would be running, do lots of running and try and get in some (preferably lots) hill/mountain running.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

If i was to concentrate on any one aspect of GF it would be running, do lots of running and try and get in some (preferably lots) hill/mountain running.

Agreed, I did GF for the first time and the trail running was a shock to me. I was totally unprepared for it. Good to do plenty of running beforehand, but try to do a bit of hill / mountain / trail running too. As for Croagh Patrick... that's a whole other story - that killed me last year. I found the event tough enough up to that, but once I started on CP I just wanted to give up. I was just plain miserable the whole way up and hated everything about Gael Force!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I thought the cycling was harder. If you can run 10/15km then the running won't be any bother to you. If I was to do it again, I'd concentrate harder on the cycling.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    If you can run 10/15km then the running won't be any bother to you

I can run 10/15km but really struggled with the grassy hills and trails. I guess it's different for everyone.

I never expected too much from my cycling as I didn't cycle much at that stage so was just happy to stay on the bike throughout and not have to walk. That said I wasn't moving at any great pace (and had road bikes whizzing past me all day) but wasn't bothered to be honest. For some reason my slow pace during the run bothered me more, I guess because I actually run pretty often but was taken aback by the off road parts and how I struggled with them.

Again, it'll be different for everyone I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

if you only do one thing for GF6 (apart from the sunscreen) - do hillrunning. Hillrunners have a ridiculous advantage in GF6 as neither the cycling or the kayaking is technical whilst running down CP is as technical as it gets on this island.

Croagh Patrick is the heart, soul and guts of this event, everything before Croagh Patrick merely gets to it and the cycle after just gets you home.

Taking Croagh Patrick out of the race (looking at the splits) the winner is always a different person - however, you can't take CP out:D

My race strategy for the last 3 years has been to get to CP within touching distance of the leaders whilst keeping a bit in reserve and then bury myself on CP as if it was just a stand alone hillrun and then hope to have enough left in the tank for the last cycle.

^^ And for those of you not in the know this is coming from a former winner of Gael Force and the runner up in the Wicklow Adventure Race over the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I can run 10/15km but really struggled with the grassy hills and trails. I guess it's different for everyone.

I never expected too much from my cycling as I didn't cycle much at that stage so was just happy to stay on the bike throughout and not have to walk. That said I wasn't moving at any great pace (and had road bikes whizzing past me all day) but wasn't bothered to be honest. For some reason my slow pace during the run bothered me more, I guess because I actually run pretty often but was taken aback by the off road parts and how I struggled with them.

Again, it'll be different for everyone I guess.

True, it'll be different for everyone. I lost so much time on the bike and had to walk at several points. Very frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Romor

Hi all - good informative thread. I too am a first timer this year at GFW. Just looking to complete it in a reasonable time (up to 6.5 hrs possibly?). I'm an out of action (due to shoulder injury) rugby player (forward I may ad!) and have been running approx 6-8k for the last year or so 4/5 times weekly. I have recently started to push that to up around the 10k mark. Also completing sit up/push up/squat reps daily. Waiting on delivery of a new bike (went for good quality hybrid with both mountain and slick tyres). I have not cycled in over 10 years so looking forward to getting bike fit again. I am just wondering what kind of bicycle preparation I should be doing? Is the bike course at GFW very hilly? Should I hit the mountains or will average road biking suffice? Really enjoying training in the recent great weather lets hope it continues!

As for Croagh Patrick... that's a whole other story - that killed me last year. I found the event tough enough up to that, but once I started on CP I just wanted to give up. I was just plain miserable the whole way up and hated everything about Gael Force!

Aaaaah!! Petrified now...What have I let myself in for!

Aaaaah!! Petrified now...What have I let myself in for!

One of the best experiences of your life:)

No pain no gain!

No pain no gain!

Very true! Ah no really looking forward to it....17 weeks of training left so should be okay, week 1 nearly down. Just wished I'd signed up earlier, lot of catching up to do judging by these posts. :)

If any of you are iPhone users - I downloaded a great app called Runmeter. It uses GPS to track your run / cycle and gives you your distance, average pace, fastest pace, climb, cals burned etc and emails you a summary after each session. Does lots of other pointless stuff as well but good for tracking progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Proven_John

No pain no gain!

True!!! hoping to beat last years time but I dont think I have done enough :(

True!!! hoping to beat last years time but I dont think I have done enough :(

Theres loads of time to get the training in before the race. I know plenty of people who are doing it who havent even started training yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wli

hey,
    this will be my first GF, I was thinking of using a mountain bike but I can get the lone of a racer for training and for the event.
    Any ideas on which one I should use,
    Thanks Guys

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

wli wrote: »
    hey,
    this will be my first GF, I was thinking of using a mountain bike but I can get the lone of a racer for training and for the event.
    Any ideas on which one I should use,
    Thanks Guys

Without a doubt a roadbike, there will be 2 sections which will be akward with the roadbike but based on last year you will be better suited with the road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wli

Thanks Yop,
    Cant wait ta get started on training this week, will use the road bike then..........:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Is it the exact same course as last year?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is it the exact same course as last year?

No, the bike section to Croagh Patrick has changed.

Also a mention that will be a change to the first run section.

Check out the GaelforceWest website for the details

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

i was chatting to the organiser yesterday in killary, and he said that it's pretty much the same, apart from the bikes being in a different place for the transition and that it's finishing in westport town instead of westport house, to get more participation from the locals?? there was no mention of a different cycle route to CP

as for bikes- dont dream of doin it on a moutain bike- it'd slow you down too much- racer or a hybrid with slick tyres..

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i was chatting to the organiser yesterday in killary, and he said that it's pretty much the same, apart from the bikes being in a different place for the transition and that it's finishing in westport town instead of westport house, to get more participation from the locals?? there was no mention of a different cycle route to CP

as for bikes- dont dream of doin it on a moutain bike- it'd slow you down too much- racer or a hybrid with slick tyres..

http://www.gaelforceevents.com/en/news/gaelforce_west_bike_route.html

that's pretty clear and simple right enough yop!

i need to up my cycling training big style. the cycling really let me down last yr. i couldnt WAIT to get off that goddamn bike, my body was in bits and then we had to climb CP straight after???? come to think of it, cant believe i've paid good money to do it all again this yr:D

ah, bring it on

You will be sound out, get good long spins in once or twice a week and that will help.

The road conditions out around Sheffry from what I hear are not great, the "new trail" for the bike is also in a bad way so it looks like you will need new tires.

yeah i'm gonna invest in a new bike, my hybrid was knicked a few weeks back- was chatting to brian keogh from total experience down in connemara this weekend and he's going to line me up with a bike that'll be perfect for GF- he knows his stuff so i'll trust him.. will use it then for achill etc as well, and just use the dublin bikes for city biking- too many knackers around knicking bikes, not chancing it anymore, mine was knicked while locked with a 3d lock in stephens green- tinkers!:mad:

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    yeah i'm gonna invest in a new bike, my hybrid was knicked a few weeks back- was chatting to brian keogh from total experience down in connemara this weekend and he's going to line me up with a bike that'll be perfect for GF- he knows his stuff so i'll trust him.. will use it then for achill etc as well, and just use the dublin bikes for city biking- too many knackers around knicking bikes, not chancing it anymore, mine was knicked while locked with a 3d lock in stephens green- tinkers!:mad:

Sorry to hear about that.

Keep an eye on the cycling forums here, there are always bikes for sale there. Bought a Giant (bike that is ;) ) myself and find it great. Got it through the bike2work scheme also so look into that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1205

The folks on the cycling forum will point you in the right direction.

great, tks yop.. no biggie that the aul bike was knicked, it owed me nothing, got me around GFW09 and achill and a few others- all for 200 yos, and twas as slow as a wet week.. still tho, bike thievery is RAMPANT around dublin these days, nothign is safe, so i wont be using it for city/work biking if i invest a good 1k in a nice new one, was thinking of a giant or a trek, will go into that cycling forum now and check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ending in the town is a good idea....Glad I will be running in this, and not trying to get parking or drive through town that day, it will be at a standstill.

Am going to check out that new cycle route this weekend or next, do a bit of recon, see how bad it is. I used to cycle that a good bit up till last year, used to do it on the mountain bike with knobbly tyres, used to cycle down that way, not up it, and it was pretty damn rough, doubt it has improved.

Will post back what its like, maybe with pics, who knows.

Advertisement