Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Lizzy

• 08-05-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I've been listening to nothing but these guys for the past few days, not an idea why. I haven't been through all of their discography but what I'm listening to now is truly great. Have with me at the moment Chinatown, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation and Black Rose: A Rock Legend on play. Missing any other essentials?

Also, general Thin Lizzy discussion here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've been listening to nothing but these guys for the past few days, not an idea why. I haven't been through all of their discography but what I'm listening to now is truly great. Have with me at the moment Chinatown, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation and Black Rose: A Rock Legend on play. Missing any other essentials?

So what do ya make of the new Lizzy line-up?

Ricky Warwick (The Almighty)
    Scott Gorham
    Brian Downey
    Vivian Campbell
    Marco Mendoza
    Darren Wharton

That sure is a curve ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

You gotta get Night Life!! its so smooth and sleazy and great guitar solos aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

you have to get live and dangerous.

you will love it.

That line up looks good to me! Look forward to seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

scudzilla wrote: »

Scott Gorham
    Brian Downey
    Vivian Campbell
    Marco Mendoza
    Darren Wharton

wow........that's a very interesting lineup...........good musicians in there......I kinda liked Sykes......would have to hear Warwick sining Lizzy songs before I made up my mind, but man that's a fierce guitar attack.......definitely wouldn't mind hearing them live.....

NIBBS wrote: »
    wow........that's a very interesting lineup...........good musicians in there......I kinda liked Sykes......would have to hear Warwick sining Lizzy songs before I made up my mind, but man that's a fierce guitar attack.......definitely wouldn't mind hearing them live.....

Problem wit Sykes, is that he's a complete and utter tool, and that's from the inside. Not a well liked guy at all.

Ricky sure will be interesting, i've heard that from rehearsals most songs are sounding like they've been Metallica-ised (like Whiskey), probably due to Ricky's crunchin guitar play

• Advertisement

Problem wit Sykes, is that he's a complete and utter tool, and that's from the inside. Not a well liked guy at all.

Ricky sure will be interesting, i've heard that from rehearsals most songs are sounding like they've been Metallica-ised (like Whiskey), probably due to Ricky's crunchin guitar play

Ah - that makes sense, was never quite sure if it was Gorham or Sykes that was the problem.....

not sure I like the sound of that, but will listen to it with an open mind, like I said it should be a very attacking guitar sound, Mendoza is solid as hell and Wharton is an interesting addition......lets see how it develops.....

Ah - that makes sense, was never quite sure if it was Gorham or Sykes that was the problem.....

not sure I like the sound of that, but will listen to it with an open mind, like I said it should be a very attacking guitar sound, Mendoza is solid as hell and Wharton is an interesting addition......lets see how it develops.....

Darren has always been part of Lizzy, he joined when he was 17 with Phil, he's done quite a few tours recently but has missed the last 3 or 4. He's also been very busy wit Dare. I see Ricky as a far more interesting addition

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Check out the stuff with John Sykes too (Thunder and Lightning and Life Live).

It goes without saying, you MUST get your hands on Live and Dangerous. Enjoy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Scott Gorham
    Brian Downey
    Vivian Campbell
    Marco Mendoza
    Darren Wharton

No way, is this really happening?? Would be great if it was. Cant find anything else about it on the net tho. And Vivan Campbell is soon to start writing a new album with Def Leppard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Ricky Warwick of New Model Army?! that'd be fine by me they were great til around when he left.. mark mendoza the Twisted Sister bassist?!?! sure is a curve ball i dunno if philo could vibe w/ that. but u never know as there'd be enough oldschool rockers clamouring to play in the notorious 'Thin Lizzy'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

In fairness i thought Sykes did a decent job the last few times I saw them. Not sure what to make of Warwick.... and pretty surprised to see Downey back in the fold after a long hiatus....must be skint these days!

Darren has always been part of Lizzy, he joined when he was 17 with Phil, he's done quite a few tours recently but has missed the last 3 or 4. He's also been very busy wit Dare. I see Ricky as a far more interesting addition

Yeah - I just thought hed decided to do Dare for the forseeable future (think the released a new album over the last couple of years, and have toured a bit too ? )........but yeah definitely - was some rumour during the week that Lizzy would be replacing Heaven & Hell on the Maiden bill....

Yeah - I just thought hed decided to do Dare for the forseeable future (think the released a new album over the last couple of years, and have toured a bit too ? )........but yeah definitely - was some rumour during the week that Lizzy would be replacing Heaven & Hell on the Maiden bill....

I hope they do cos that'd be me sorted for backstage, but i doubt it'll happen, Plans are for Jan/Feb tour but bringing that forward by 6 months is extremely doubtful

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Ricky Warwick of New Model Army?! that'd be fine by me they were great til around when he left.. mark mendoza the Twisted Sister bassist?!?! sure is a curve ball i dunno if philo could vibe w/ that. but u never know as there'd be enough oldschool rockers clamouring to play in the notorious 'Thin Lizzy'

Marco has been playin wit Lizzy for years now, and yeah, Ricky from NMA, but more famously known from The Almighty.

It's no longer Lizzy anyway, Lizzy died in 1986

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HelpJust4You

Im young and as far as I can remember, I've ALWAYS listened to Thin Lizzy! I love all their songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

So favourite Lizzy songs? Mine would probably be She Knows, I love the mellow guitar solo in it.

Marco has been playin wit Lizzy for years now, and yeah, Ricky from NMA, but more famously known from The Almighty.

i read Mendoza has bn a part of 'Thin Lizzy' since '96, n returned in 2005. big surprise to me he's been part of the roster.. but to be fair to em at least they refuse to actually record under the name - an old pal of mine shared digs w/ Warwick in dublin in his Almighty days around mid-90s, for about a month. sorta fella i weren't to keen on lettin into the gaf, musta been eventful :rolleyes:

B0X wrote: »
    So favourite Lizzy songs? Mine would probably be She Knows, I love the mellow guitar solo in it.

Either Massacre or Showdown,

But tbh I still haven't heard a song of theirs that i don't like

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Either Massacre or Showdown,

But tbh I still haven't heard a song of theirs that i don't like

I've always loved Hollywood - call me crazy, but as Baz said, what's not to like, they had so many great songs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Anyone else think the drumming on Bad Reputation is ****ing superb?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Brian Downey has to be the most criminally under-rated drummers in heavy rock.

The guy is a master. I don't know how true the rumour is that he was asked to join AC~DC after the demise of Lizzy.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Yeah , he's excellent on Chinatown aswell.

Gridlock wrote: »
    Yeah , he's excellent on Chinatown aswell.

Apparently his drumming on live and Dangerous, which is fantastic, is completley live and was the only thing that didn't need a studio touch up.

Now thats impressive when you listen to the likes of "Rocker" and "Johnny the fox"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Recently discovered this little jem: Cowboy song live in Sydney Opera House.

This is a pretty cool version of Emerald as well , off Live and Dangerous.

Pity that it cuts out Philo's line at the start: "anyone with any Irish in them? Any of the girls like a little more Irish in them....!":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's not the Mendoza that was in Twisted Sister.

The Twisted Sister bassist was Mark Mendoza

The Whitesnake/Thin Lizzy bassist is/was Marco Mendoza.

But yeah.. Lizzy = Legends...

But Lizzy also passed away in 1986, and this is nothing more than a fitting tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Not much mention of Eric Bell era Thin Lizzy so far! I love songs like Black Boys On The Corner, Buffalo Girl, Vagabonds Of The Western World etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

Although I'm too young to have seen them play they pretty much have always been my favourite band. That gig from Sydney above is one of the few times they didn't play with Brian Downey (yes a *superb* drummer). I'm still finding rarities and unreleased studio recordings and bootlegs thanks to the interweb. Actually Grand Slam were pretty good too because they had a great songwriter. I particularly like the early and mid 70's funkier Lizzy stuff though. They weren't afraid to diversify and explore. It's too hard to pick a best song because there are too many but Vagabonds is probably my favourite studio album.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Apparently his drumming on live and Dangerous, which is fantastic, is completley live and was the only thing that didn't need a studio touch up.

Now thats impressive when you listen to the likes of "Rocker" and "Johnny the fox"

His drumming was apparently the only thing that wasn't completely rerecorded in the studio.

Live and Dangerous is a great record but calling it an actual live record is a bit of a joke to be honest.

• Advertisement

DazMarz wrote: »
    It's not the Mendoza that was in Twisted Sister.

The Twisted Sister bassist was Mark Mendoza

The Whitesnake/Thin Lizzy bassist is/was Marco Mendoza.

ah, got ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Mendoza

glad its not the twisted sister fella!

Advertisement