Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

boardtc wrote: »
    I did the same and gave gotrusted.com a go as one punter advised, I paid one euro for the free month but then found out the proxy was in the usa and the country could not be changed. I signed up to adtelly.tv for 6 euro for a month, east to use, really nice interface which wraps wraps viewing the bbc player, etc nicely and also has a connect uk and usa button to act change countries.

GoTrusted has both UK and USA IP options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

A somewhat related question, why does RTE release media files in real player format when they could just use the flash like in their RTE player

boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

One tip I've stumbled upon which simplifies this process is that you do not need to manually select exit nodes in the UK - you can specify exitnode countries in your torrc files by putting a two character country code in braces.

I'm running on a Mac with Vidalia, so the setting file (you can find the location of it in the Vidalia settings dialog's advanced tab - but it's probably ~/Library/Vidalia/torrc) ends with:
    ExitNodes {GB}
    StrictNodes 1

Note that the country code is GB and not UK, which a couple of posts/articles online misleadingly state.

There's another problem with the recent Mac builds - the geoip file is in the wrong place, leading to log messages like the following:
    [Warning] Failed to open GEOIP file /Applications/Vidalia.app/share/tor/geoip. We've been configured to use (or avoid) nodes in certain countries, and we need GEOIP information to figure out which ones they are.
    That was solved like this (from the terminal):
    cd /Applications/Vidalia.app/
    mkdir -p share/tor/
    cp Contents/Resources/geoip share/tor/

Then stop and restart tor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

hey guys,

i have just skimmed / read the whole thread ( at least 80% ot it ;) ) and all this proxy talk and vpn stuff is like double dutch to me..

I would love to have access to iplayer and hulu, can someone tell me of a free / moderately cheap and easy way to get this?

spare a thought for the technically challenged among us:p

Cheers

Cheapish option and extremely easy option would be using the OverPlay service (linked in my sig below). Gives yea an option for VPN connection to many countries to give yea access to BBCiPlayer/Hulu and many other country locked services. Even gives those of us who travel access to an Irish VPN to let yea catch up on Irish TV from the RTE Player.

They have a one click setup/connect software app now for Windows and Mac. Can't get easier than that. Just select the country (UK, US, Ireland etc) yea want to use the local 'locked' services off and bobs your aunt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

bestie wrote: »
    A somewhat related question, why does RTE release media files in real player format when they could just use the flash like in their RTE player

boggling!

At a guesss I'd say because Flash is a dying technology and most sites/companies are moving away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I use a programme called Ivacy Monitor.

http://ivacy.com/doc/user/downloads/index

I'm not overtly technical but this is simple to use and has a Firefox add-on that makes it even easier.

You have a choice of UK, USA or Russian (don't ask me why) IP.

I paid 10 Euros in October on a usage basis and have 7 Euros left.

azzeretti wrote: »
    At a guesss I'd say because Flash is a dying technology and most sites/companies are moving away from it.
    I doubt it. RTE started using Realplayer a long time ago, and it's a far more "dying" technology than Flash.

Certainly interesting to see a gradual move from Flash to HTML5 and other technologies though - another good reason for Adobe to make the platform open-source before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joeyamg

Looked at various ways of doing this, best free way I've found for getting iplayer to work:

Step 1: Download and install the latest stable release of Tor using the default options. Run setup and make sure you're connected to the network. Green onion will appear in system tray if it is working ok.

Step 2: Download and install mgeni, it's a browser that uses the Tor network to allow you to choose what country you want to route through.

Little bit slow loading webpages (maybe turn off image loading) but video feed is perfect (I've only got a 7mb connection). Much easier than messing with foxy proxy or whatever else.

*Doesn't work for hulu unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

joeyamg wrote: »
    Looked at various ways of doing this, best free way I've found for getting iplayer to work:

Step 1: Download and install the latest stable release of Tor using the default options. Run setup and make sure you're connected to the network. Green onion will appear in system tray if it is working ok.

Step 2: Download and install mgeni, it's a browser that uses the Tor network to allow you to choose what country you want to route through.

Little bit slow loading webpages (maybe turn off image loading) but video feed is perfect (I've only got a 7mb connection). Much easier than messing with foxy proxy or whatever else.

If I ran TOR, would I be able to use iPlayer via the MCE interface? I have the sky player plugin running, all controlled by the remote meaning Ive no need for a keyboard/mouse on my media pc - was looking at iplayer but messing around with proxies on the media pc frustrates me...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

I Have tried this and it works perfectly! Im very pleased with it, thanks a mill for the post! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

xTanyax wrote: »
    I Have tried this and it works perfectly! Im very pleased with it, thanks a mill for the post! :D

any solution for the ps3 browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

any solution for the ps3 browser?

Not too sure. I use TVersity at the moment, it's free, there's also a paid version of tversity thats has hulu, bbc, hd etc.. What exactley were you looking to do with your ps3?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

xTanyax wrote: »
    Not too sure. I use TVersity at the moment, it's free, there's also a paid version of tversity thats has hulu, bbc, hd etc.. What exactley were you looking to do with your ps3?

I use the ps3 browser to view RTE, TV3 playback services. Would like to use the same for BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

hotspor shield does not work on iplayer and doesnt work on hulu anymore i dont think.

I cant get vidalia to work either even with the tips above.

trying mgeni now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bryanL33

Just download mgeni , its working for the bbc iplayer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Many thanks :)

Perfect!

And believe me i have tried messing around with foxy proxy and such ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Nice one Joey. Works perfectly :).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

joeyamg --- you the man :D

thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paul_ie86

Thanks for this. I've been using it nearly non-stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Looked through this thread & the Staellite forums to see if there was an answer to my problem, but no luck, anyway here goes.

Trying to get BBC iPlayer via my Sagem HD box.

Basically I need to hide the Irish IP address on the router and get onto BBC iPlayer via my TV. I can cnnect my Sagem to my router. But I don't want to lose RTE Player via my laptop.

Any recommended solutions?

• Advertisement

manster wrote: »
    Basically I need to hide the Irish IP address on the router and get onto BBC iPlayer via my TV. I can cnnect my Sagem to my router. But I don't want to lose RTE Player via my laptop.
    You also probably don't want any usernames/passwords/credit card info sent without encryption from your laptop to go through Tor.

Can you apply different rules based on MAC addresses on your router? If so, you might be able to get the MAC address of the Sagem box and do something special with that... but I'm not sure how you can use Tor at the router level. If you could redirect the box to go to a Tor daemon on your laptop...?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

zynaps wrote: »
    You also probably don't want any usernames/passwords/credit card info sent without encryption from your laptop to go through Tor.

Definitely - so is there a way of stopping this. For example can you use IE linked with Tor for specific IP transactions (i.e. iPlayerP and Firefox linked with the router (for usernames/passwords/credit card info etc.). Or if you download Tor does all transactions, irrespective of the browser, go through Tor?
    Can you apply different rules based on MAC addresses on your router? If so, you might be able to get the MAC address of the Sagem box and do something special with that... but I'm not sure how you can use Tor at the router level. If you could redirect the box to go to a Tor daemon on your laptop...?

Don't know. Sounds complex TV-SAGEM-ROUTER-LAPTOP-TOR-iPLAYER instead of TV-SAGEM-ROUTER-TOR-iPLAYER. My head's wrecked thinking about this.

Definitely - so is there a way of stopping this. For example can you use IE linked with Tor for specific IP transactions (i.e. iPlayerP and Firefox linked with the router (for usernames/passwords/credit card info etc.). Or if you download Tor does all transactions, irrespective of the browser, go through Tor?
    If you set your system global proxy to use Tor then it will affect everything which doesn't have individual (overriding) proxy settings. So yeah, you're best off picking one browser specifically for using Tor (e.g. I load up Camino which has local proxy settings to use Vidalia/Tor) or using something like FoxyProxy in Firefox to only use Tor on certain sites.
    Don't know. Sounds complex TV-SAGEM-ROUTER-LAPTOP-TOR-iPLAYER instead of TV-SAGEM-ROUTER-TOR-iPLAYER. My head's wrecked thinking about this.
    Me too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Can the above method just be turned on and off as required, or is it always left running?

Are the above things (Tor and Mgeni) trustworthy?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Can the above method just be turned on and off as required, or is it always left running?

Thanks.

Ye. Are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Great, just watched some shows on iplayer. I don't have BBC here at home and iplayer was one of the things I missed about living in the UK.

I dunno about Mgeni. Tor provides (some) anonymity but the exit node can read any unencrypted data (just like your ISP normally would).

This caused a bit of a stir when someone running a Tor node snooped traffic and eventually released usernames and passwords for embassy/military staff who didn't realise that using HTTP rather than HTTPS was a bad idea for sensitive information, even if your IP address might be hidden.

You should make sure that Tor is only being used for Mgeni and not all network access on your machine.
    And you should make sure that you only use Mgeni/Tor to watch iPlayer and other non-sensitive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can use Tor as a transparent proxy for all the traffic on your LAN but i don't think it supports it on it's own in windows, so you'd need to have a linux server (a virtual machine would do) and set up IP tables in that, but if your head is already wrecked that's probably not a good place to start. :D.

you might be able to set tor up with polipo (there's a bundle including polipo on the tor download page) or maybe privoxy and send all the data from the sagem through it that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I dunno about Mgeni. Tor provides (some) anonymity but the exit node can read any unencrypted data (just like your ISP normally would).

This caused a bit of a stir when someone running a Tor node snooped traffic and eventually released usernames and passwords for embassy/military staff who didn't realise that using HTTP rather than HTTPS was a bad idea for sensitive information, even if your IP address might be hidden.

You should make sure that Tor is only being used for Mgeni and not all network access on your machine.
    And you should make sure that you only use Mgeni/Tor to watch iPlayer and other non-sensitive stuff.

Thanks for that mate, I think I'll just leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I tried to access iPlayer using this method ut I keep on getting a request to install Flash even though I believe I have installed flash.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Advertisement