Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery before or after medical?

• 04-05-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Im booked in for a consultation next week with ultralase about getting my eyes done.

Would it be a bad idea getting it done now before applying as it will be another 2 years before im at that stage.

Or should i go ahead and get it done now.

Anyone of ye get it done before ye went to join or before the actual medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

If you get it done after any medical (if you get that far) you'll only be waiting longer, seems simple to me

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

What about going to a Doctor and taking an eye exam and see if you meet the entry requirements, they are available on the garda website.. If not just get the surgery done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 microfinance

I would def advise getting it done before hand as you cant play any contact sports for a month afterwords and you cant exercise for a week after so if you were preparing for the fitness at the time, it really would be awkward. I got mine done with <mod snip>, had the consultation in <mod snip>, and the actual surgery, in <mod snip>. I am nearly 1 month post surgery now and its brilliant, back football training at the moment and delighted with the results! Also if you want i can give u a voucher that gives you 150 off the cost of treatment with <mod snip>, just PM me or reply on this thread. also be happy to answer any questions you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

if you can afford it and need it then do it. Wait for a medical and it delays you 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

as said above you would be better off going to docs or optitions 1st. ur sight already might be good enough, also if you hav something like a lazy eye you will not be able to correct this with lazer, my local optitions looked up the standard on the garda website and vouched for my sight AFTER my medical so they might be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

do it straight away its the best money ever spent :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

da__flash wrote: »
    do it straight away its the best money ever spent :cool:

Do you mind if i ask where you got your eyes done i was looking at <mod snip> seems to be one of the best around.

Just worried that i should wait till i actually go to join and do the medical(if i get that far)and leave the medical examiner tell me to go for it.

Did you get yours done before you went for the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 deltaromeo82

Absolutely no problem in getting the laser eye surgery. i got it done after i was attested but as far as the test goes its a standard test. loads of people get it done before the medical. the actual laser eye surgery procedure is simple enough. even the one that takes longer to heal from, you'll only be out of action for a week and within a couple of weeks your looking at 20/20 vision

deltaromeo82

Im booked in for a consultation next week with ultralase about getting my eyes done.

Would it be a bad idea getting it done now before applying as it will be another 2 years before im at that stage.

Or should i go ahead and get it done now.

Anyone of ye get it done before ye went to join or before the actual medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hollyc11

hi guys, does anyone know if it matters whether you get LASIK or LASEK eye surgery. I've heard rumours they won't accept if you have had LASIK but this seems far fetched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

hollyc11 wrote: »
    hi guys, does anyone know if it matters whether you get LASIK or LASEK eye surgery. I've heard rumours they won't accept if you have had LASIK but this seems far fetched?

does not matter which you get, they advise you to get prk lasek but in my consultation he said it doesnt matter , its personal choice, they dont check your eyes for which laser you got done in the medical, its just for own piece of mind,
    do you want to take the risk of being in a tussle and that 1 in a million hit to the head knocks your flap off and then you cant see ,
    i went with the prk for piece of mind, longer recovery but at least there is zero risk, its the same price aswel so if you can afford to take a few days off work , then id advise it too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

St. Westy wrote: »
    does not matter which you get, they advise you to get prk lasek but in my consultation he said it doesnt matter , its personal choice, they dont check your eyes for which laser you got done in the medical, its just for own piece of mind,
    do you want to take the risk of being in a tussle and that 1 in a million hit to the head knocks your flap off and then you cant see ,
    i went with the prk for piece of mind, longer recovery but at least there is zero risk, its the same price aswel so if you can afford to take a few days off work , then id advise it too :cool:[/quote

I went for prk myself highly recommend it. its a bit of a bollox being blind for 4 days but take the drops your given and there will be no problem.