Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Film do you most want to see this Bank Holiday Weekend?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey just wanted to ask what film if any do people most want to watch over the long weekend. Personally it would be the Joneses as it's one of the few I haven't seen yet. But I would also quite fancy watching Kick-Ass for a second time. But what about everyone else, can anyone recommend any forgotten or hidden gems currently in the cinema?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've said this in a few threads before, but Dogtooth is the best film out so far this year, and really recommend you see it in the cinema before its gone. It's pretty out there, and might offend some, but I haven't seen such a fresh, unusual film in a long time. Best not to know too much about it advance, but one of those rare surprises which feels like a welcome breath of fresh air.

As for stuff I want to see, City of Life and Death and Samson & Delilah both look pretty interesting, after seeing trailers for them before Life During Wartime. After a Brass Eye binge the other night though, Four Lions is now top of my list to watch. Chris Morris is a comedy genius, and such controversial subject matter should be interesting. Shame it isn't out til next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I'm seeing Extract today, don't know why I haven't already. Bateman has work! Huzzah!

Other than that, I got Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece The Room in the post from Amazon yesterday, will watch on the morrow.

Looking forward to Four Lions (and, I must admit, Hot Tub Time Machine) next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Joneses was actually quite good. Couple of issues with it but definitely worth the watch.

Johnny, was Life during Wartime good? I loved Happiness..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

Jamesk87 wrote: »
    Hey just wanted to ask what film if any do people most want to watch over the long weekend. Personally it would be the Joneses as it's one of the few I haven't seen yet. But I would also quite fancy watching Kick-Ass for a second time. But what about everyone else, can anyone recommend any forgotten or hidden gems currently in the cinema?

James, I'd like to thank you because I had actually forgotten tomorrow was a bank holiday. If I hadn't seen your post, I'm fairly certain I'd have shown up at work tomorrow like a miserable fool!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

kraggy wrote: »

Johnny, was Life during Wartime good? I loved Happiness..

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it for a while, but I think I liked it. It is quite different to Happiness - less outright shocking, and surprisingly poignant at times. There were parts I felt a little bored too. But the payoffs to the stories work very well in most cases, and it is an interesting way to revisit the characters. I didn't like it as much as Happiness (and spent around half an hour trying to figure out who was who again :pac:), but if you're a fan definitely worth watching, and it feels like a more thoughtful film on the whole (also means it isn't as funny). No scene is quite as memorable as the best in Happiness however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement