Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Limerick. Photos by Stan. ;) -WARNING: Dialup Death]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭phog

CCSL wrote: »
    I took a nice panorama of Limerick from the top of Woodcock Hill this morning.

Amazing to see how Limerick looks so small and how it sits surrounded by countryside.

Wont embed the file here as its 9.5MB

But you can see it over at Clevr.com ( Dont forget to zoom out to see it properly and you can pan the image with your mouse )

Link [ Here ]

Must go back and take the same shot at night.

You can download the full size photo from [ Here ]

Nice set. Very ahrd to get a clear day from up there. Where did you set up? I usally go to the rear of the "golf ball" for pics of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

They suddenly got the idea for showing old and current potos of Limerick with the same shot

Wonder where they got that idea??? :rolleyes:

I was doing pictures like these photos 8 years ago for my hometown when I was studying. The idea came from a book from the 70s. :o

Regards CCSL

Stan .... the man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Timmywalldo

These are my favorite ones really nice ,,, cold yet warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

phog wrote: »
    Nice set. Very ahrd to get a clear day from up there. Where did you set up? I usally go to the rear of the "golf ball" for pics of the city.

Boggy and muddy as hell after all the rain!

Using a 300mm Lens for better shots.
    Exposure Bracketed and HDR combined and tonemapped in Photomatix.
    IMGP3678_79_80_tonemapped.jpg

IMGP3609_10_11_tonemapped.jpg

Covered around 10 miles on the hike today. Lovely area out there in Cratloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I took a nice panorama of Limerick from the top of Woodcock Hill this morning.

Amazing to see how Limerick looks so small and how it sits surrounded by countryside.

Wont embed the file here as its 9.5MB

But you can see it over at Clevr.com ( Dont forget to zoom out to see it properly and you can pan the image with your mouse )

Link [ Here ]

Must go back and take the same shot at night.

You can download the full size photo from [ Here ]

Wow! Really loved that CCSL - Folks this is well worth seeing at full resolution..... Thanks again ;)

Interesting how the detail is preserved so well from foreground, City and then even down to the Mountains in the far, far off background..... Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Savage ccsl. I took this photo up in Gallows Hill a few weeks ago, it's right next to the golf balls.
    4463600824_255c1fd972.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Raiser wrote: »
    Interesting how the detail is preserved so well from foreground, City and then even down to the Mountains in the far, far off background..... Great stuff.

Afaik, That technique is called hdr.

Savage ccsl. I took this photo up in Gallows Hill a few weeks ago, it's right next to the golf balls.
    4463600824_255c1fd972.jpg

Of a destroyed car next to the building!;)

Hope they had to walk home after leaving it there!!

Afaik, That technique is called hdr.

Although HDR ( High Dynamic Range ) images cant really be used untill they are tonemapped down to a jpg. they are then classed as LDR. The HDR raw images are normally huge Tiff files.

Some modern cameras can produce HDR "in camera" ( im saving for the new Pentak K7.. :cool: ) Or if you take several shots in bracketed mode which most cameras have you get one under exposed one normal and one over exposed image.

Then you can use software to merge the three together ) I Use photomatix which is nice and simple to use.

The resulting image can then be saved as a jpg file.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Boggy and muddy as hell after all the rain!

IMGP3609_10_11_tonemapped.jpg

Covered around 10 miles on the hike today. Lovely area out there in Cratloe.

Love this shot.

Your style seems to be more deep focus than shallow focus, I know that is more a cinematic term, but it is how a lot of your shots come across for me.

Your style at times, in my opinion of course, is almost like a photographic version of how Andrei Tarkovsky shot some of his films, Andrei Rublev and Solaris being the ones that come to mind that have a deep focus styling.

• Advertisement

:o
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Love this shot.

Your style seems to be more deep focus than shallow focus, I know that is more a cinematic term, but it is how a lot of your shots come across for me.

Your style at times, in my opinion of course, is almost like a photographic version of how Andrei Tarkovsky shot some of his films, Andrei Rublev and Solaris being the ones that come to mind that have a deep focus styling.

Thanks for the very kind words...:o

I normally try and change the DOF depending on the subject for parades etc I use narrow DOF with spot focus to isolate the subject. I have to praise Pentax as an often overlooked brand in this Cannon or Nikon World!

IMGP8670.JPG

Google Munster Images if you would like to see lots more... Over 82 Albums on Picasa....

Baptist Church 1880-1914

baptistchurch18801914.jpg

Today:

churchtod.jpg

mix :)

mixchurh.jpg

It's not perfect, I know. Building on the left. :)
    If someone wants to give me a wide-angle lens (SAL-28F28) I invite you to PM. :D

Does anyone knows something about a green, tourist bus? The bus ride last year, today I saw him on the bridge in the city center.

to be continued...

1880 1914

docks18801914.jpg

Today

dockstod.jpg

"mix"

mixdocks.jpg

A few ordinary photos.

dsc00010ok.jpg

dsc00027ok.jpg

dsc00023ok.jpg

And something for the 'Limerick Leader':)

Ennis Road 1880 - 1914

ennisrd8014ok.jpg

newenn1.jpg

ennisrdmix.jpg

newenn2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

2nd one down , is that the limerick marine search and rescue doing their jet-ski course ?

Shammy wrote: »
    2nd one down , is that the limerick marine search and rescue doing their jet-ski course ?

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5503/30111594.jpg

I'm not sure, but probably yes. It was Saturday, at 15.30. Scooters have a warning stickers and the words "rescue". That's all what I know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

DDA3789AF349423C8F8381D8CAB45BEA-800.jpg

Oh Scarlett! I got to meet you. Very good picture. Well water is "calm". Wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

Hey Stan..... we could always do a photowalk together sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

here is a nice video with some older images of Limerick - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkm5Iea-xg&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for video Mike Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

:o

Thanks for the very kind words...:o

I normally try and change the DOF depending on the subject for parades etc I use narrow DOF with spot focus to isolate the subject. I have to praise Pentax as an often overlooked brand in this Cannon or Nikon World!

IMGP8670.JPG

Google Munster Images if you would like to see lots more... Over 82 Albums on Picasa....

I'm not a Professional Photographer by any means but I do know a little bit about Photography and the equipment, techniques and artistry involved.

- I couldn't help buy notice that if you look closely at your Photo, in the foreground you can clearly see a Man who appears to be on fire.

How anyone could post this without being kind enough to provide an explanation is beyond me though!!!

Raiser wrote: »
    I'm not a Professional Photographer by any means but I do know a little bit about Photography and the equipment, techniques and artistry involved.

- I couldn't help buy notice that if you look closely at your Photo, in the foreground you can clearly see a Man who appears to be on fire.

How anyone could post this without being kind enough to provide an explanation is beyond me though!!!

how Remiss of me! and by the way its a Girl on fire
    IMGP8676.JPG

It was at the Scott May Stunt Show at the Racecourse. And I was using it as an example of Depth of Field control ( foreground sharp background Blurred )

And Fair Play to Her as they also shot her out of a cannon!

IMGP8723.JPG
    :eek:

I just want to as well. :) I want to cannon!

This girl makes me burn. :D

Tomorrow I'll go to the library to find some old pictures. I don't know what to photograph. :)

I was two days ago in "Dell". Two simple images. I worked there, so the trip was for me full of "emotions". :)

spa0831.jpg

spa0832.jpg

========================================================

Sorry for "Stan", but I've seen my picture on another forum. ;)

docks18801914.jpg

dockstoday.jpg

docksmix.jpg

docksmix2.jpg

Nice? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

They are lovely pictures stan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

That little castle like building near Dell has always facinated me
    even before Dell and the new roads were there, when the
    Atari factory was open used to always take walks up that way and look at it. Would have Loved if I had loads of money to buy someplace like that and turn it into a house.

~B

Today will be a few old photos, variations. :) These pictures were in the "X-Files" (because it doesnt look too good). :)

For two days a new picture "yesterday and today".

dsc00147bg.jpg

dsc00114by.jpg

dsc00126b.jpg

dsc00138br.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Some seriously threatening rain clouds in those! :) Nice pics

• Advertisement

Some seriously threatening rain clouds in those! :) Nice pics

Thank's Jerry. For these posts I make these pictures. :)

=======================================

And now, another long-awaited mix. :D

Baker Place 1900 - 1940

bakerplace190040old.jpg

Few days ago.

bakerplace2010my2.jpg

Mix

bakerplace2010mix1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement