Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Limerick. Photos by Stan. ;) -WARNING: Dialup Death]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

dsc00871kopia7.jpg

dsc00878kopia8.jpg

dsc00880kopia9.jpg

dsc00885kopia11.jpg

dsc00883kopia10.jpg

dsc00887kopia12.jpg

dsc00888kopia13.jpg

dsc00898kopia14.jpg

dsc00899kopia15.jpg

dsc00894kopia16.jpg

Cheers! :)

dsc00983kopia.jpg

dsc01012kopia.jpg

Snowing! :D

dsc00936kopia.jpg

dsc00937kopia.jpg

dsc00941kopia.jpg

dsc00953kopia.jpg

dsc00956kopia.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

please forgive, this may be off topic, but Stan, maybe you can settle an argument here in my house, the houses in the background behind me & my brother, are the old tenement houses that arthurs quay now stands on????

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

From what I can tell you are standing at the back of where Henry St Garda station is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yeah Berty is right. You can make out the boat house on the left of the picture.

hi, not where we are standing, its the houses in the distance behind us. Anyone remember them?

monalitto wrote: »
    please forgive, this may be off topic, but Stan, maybe you can settle an argument here in my house, the houses in the background behind me & my brother, are the old tenement houses that arthurs quay now stands on????

Monalitto, my friend, unfortunately I don't know. Maybe someone who lives longer, someone older and wiser than me, will respond You. This could be the buildings visible in this photograph at the top? I don't know. Sorry. :(

?
    12583661.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

monalitto wrote: »
    hi, not where we are standing, its the houses in the distance behind us. Anyone remember them?

The houses over your brothers left shoulder is now Harvey's Quay(Dunnes Stores)

that's a great picture Stan, - i said i could remember a car-park down there, my husband didnt though, but there it is! I was Really young then (i swear) but we grew up in the city centre & I have lots of memories of that area. I think it is Arthurs Quay behind us in that photo, it is, it is - & women are always right!!! Thanks for the pic im saving it.;):D

• Advertisement

dsc01041kopia1.jpg

dsc01042kopia2.jpg

dsc01045kopia3.jpg

dsc01052kopia4.jpg

dsc01060kopia5.jpg

dsc01061kopia8.jpg

dsc01074kopia7.jpg

dsc01067kopia6.jpg

dsc01076kopia8.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

can anyone tell me what this grey building is called and if theres info on it?
    im doing a project on old buildings in limerick

dsc00334kopia12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Great pics Stan. Sad to see the rotted state of Patrick street though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Dave - that was Bannatynes Corn Mill

cool cheers for that, am i rite in saying that theres another one around town?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Some nice photographs there Stan.

Can't say for sure - I think there was one up by the market. There was definitely a mill on the Dock Road it was owned by Ranks and the building was attached to it's other half across the road by a foot bridge well up in the air! Long gone now

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. On Saturday Sky Fest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. On Saturday Sky Fest. :)

Hey Stan, i'm sure will appreciate this photograph. For someone who has lived in our city for such a short time and has seen so many changes in that short time then please take a look at how much it has changed since the 1950's.

bey82d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

This thread is awesome.....

Bad press my arse this city still rocks

That is all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Love that photo from the 50's.

Isnt there something like that picture except its of Dooradoyle and the Regional, just inside the doors of the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Mc Love wrote: »
    Love that photo from the 50's.

Isnt there something like that picture except its of Dooradoyle and the Regional, just inside the doors of the hospital

Weird I was thinking the same thing. I've not seen the pic in the regional
    but in the 70's my father took some photo looking down from some height that showed the Hospital and
    some of Dooradoyle Must see if I can dig it up over the weekend.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

LB6 wrote: »
    Dave - that was Bannatynes Corn Mill
    Spot on... cut from a map in the very excellent Irish Historic Towns atlas no. 21 Limerick.. can be bought in bookshops for 35 euro..well worth it!!..

Gryff, That map brings back memories. You "young" enough to remember Spaights hardware before it was a shopping centre with the roof top parking? (for the YOUNGER ones), those two predated where the Dunnes in Henry Street is now. :)

does Limerick in black and white remind anyone else like the bronx or queens? something about it i really like, heres some more

attachment.php?attachmentid=6139&stc=1&d=1193596626

attachment.php?attachmentid=6176&stc=1&d=1193780603

the regional
    attachment.php?attachmentid=6199&d=1194100033

1970s
    855159914_64d56a8e61_o_d.jpg

image28big.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=7925&stc=1&d=1218657464

attachment.php?attachmentid=8444&stc=1&d=1223761211

3324748.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=86F19F6C94FCC84F54EABB715D2EC851

1945ish
    AerialLimerick1950sCropped.jpg

AerialLimerickCity1950Cropped.jpg

AerialLimerickCity1950sCrop.jpg

1960s
    BroadStArea1960s.jpg

MungretStArea1960s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

LB6 wrote: »
    Gryff, That map brings back memories. You "young" enough to remember Spaights hardware before it was a shopping centre with the roof top parking? (for the YOUNGER ones), those two predated where the Dunnes in Henry Street is now. :)
    Im only a young fella in my mid 40s... Ive a dim memory of a long wall and the bus stops..Did they have that rope and pulley system for transferring paperwork acroos the ceiling to the office -- or was that somewhere else.

gryff wrote: »
    Im only a young fella in my mid 40s... Ive a dim memory of a long wall and the bus stops..Did they have that rope and pulley system for transferring paperwork acroos the ceiling to the office -- or was that somewhere else.

im only 22 and i remember the pulley system!

I remember the pulley system too. Yep they had and there was one of them in Todd's way back when too. It was for payment of goods bought - money up to the office and change back down in the little cup thingies!

• Advertisement

i dunno where i heard, but apparently there was a new girl working in spaights one day and instead of putting back paper or whatever was in the pullys from the office to the checkout, someone but a mouse in it and apparently she freaked a brick! id say that would have been hilarious!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement