Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which car?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,

Newbie so please be gentle :o.

I'm trying to decide between 2 cars and I'm looking for opinions.

First is the new Renault Fluence. I'd probably go for the basic model which is ~€16,000 with scrappage. 5 year guarantee. 1.5 diesel. €104 road tax.

Second is a 2005 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi. Low mileage (~30k). Very high spec (A/C, Alarm, 17" alloys etc). No guarantee. €600ish road tax.

I'd be importing the Seat from the UK but buying from a relative so we haven't fixed a price yet - I imagine around €6 or €7k, but I'd be paying VRT and have to put it through NCT (it has full MOT).

I suppose I'm very much a 'sensible' driver, so not looking for a hot hatch or anything like it, but I do like the acceleration on the Seat. It's VERY zippy. However, I like the shape of the Fluence more and as I'm coming off a hatchback it would be nice to move to a bigger car.

In my mind I'm struggling to weigh up the good history of the Seat (owned by my relative for 4 years with no problems) but its age and higher tax against the newness, cheaper tax and guarantee of the Renault. I don't really know a lot about Renaults except that their reliability seems to be questionable. The price of either doesn't put me off although the Renault is just on my upper budget limit.

I'd probably end up keeping either car for as long as possible.

I know they're very different but what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Seems like an odd shortlist.

I'd probably go for the Fluence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

TLF wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I don't really know a lot about Renaults except that their reliability seems to be questionable.

The new Megane, upon which the Fluence is based, has just come 5th in the hatchback class in the JD Power survey which is reflective of actual owner experience. Leagues ahead of Renaults of old and just behind the Golf. Winner was the Hyundai i30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've had 6 Renaults and the first 5 were trouble free. My current 2005 megane hatch is the exception (electric window faults twice now, ignition coil failure, suspension trouble, all on a car with just 33,000 miles on it). Tbh I hate this car but am not in a position to get rid of it.

The new range appears to be better built and the 5 year guarantee shows renaults confidence in the fluence and gives you some peace of mind.

There are alternatives though like the Focus diesel, Kia Ceed, Hyundai i30 etc that have the poke and economy that might suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The new Megane, upon which the Fluence is based, has just come 5th on the hatchback class in the JP Power survey which is reflective of actual owner experience. Leagues ahead of Renaults of old and just behind the Golf. Winner was the Hyundai i30.

As the new megane is barely a year old, there hasn't been a lot of time to decide on it's long term reliability and build quality. My megane has more rattles and sqeeks that a room full of baby toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

So the Leon will cost you about €6-7k less but is 5 years older.

€12-1400 a year to trade up is a bargain so I'd go with the Megane in this situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

As the new megane is barely a year old, there hasn't been a lot of time to decide on it's long term reliability and build quality.

The dire Renault reliability problems for the last Megane, Laguna II or various Espaces would start on day 1, require multiple visits to the dealer to get electrical and other issues "sorted" and then continue indefinitely.

If the new Megane is close to the Golf after 12 months then it's in a different league from the old one.

(Not a Renault basher: owned two Clios without much grief. OK, a clutch cable snapped once, and I had to drive home without a clutch, but Renault fixed it for free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I'd go with the Renault..........................:D

PM me for a better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fluence, the name alone would would make me walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I'd go with the Renault..........................:D

PM me for a better deal

You can smell these threads can't you, or is it some sort of Spidey sense? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

mk1 or 2 leon??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 TLF

Thanks all for the replies so far (but Saab_Ed I twigged your 'allegiances' ;)).

It's the mk 1 Leon but I think it's the 150 bhp model (sorry not very techie). I should have explained that the plan all along was to take the Leon (owner has to fix up a few surface dents for me first and then it's just a matter of driving it over) but the recent offers from Renault just made me sit up and second guess myself. I wouldn't be able to afford a new car of the size/shape of the Fluence in any other range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

TLF wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies so far (but Saab_Ed I twigged your 'allegiances' ;)).

It's the mk 1 Leon but I think it's the 150 bhp model (sorry not very techie). I should have explained that the plan all along was to take the Leon (owner has to fix up a few surface dents for me first and then it's just a matter of driving it over) but the recent offers from Renault just made me sit up and second guess myself. I wouldn't be able to afford a new car of the size/shape of the Fluence in any other range.

DSC_0114-1.jpg
    i have the 150 bhp leon myself . would have it any day over any renault but thats just me...
    wont be as modern or all out as comfortable as the renault but that low milage leon would be 2 good to let go for that money imo. vrt should be about e1800 if you could get it for 6k you would have yourself a cheap car..

Advertisement