Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC 4 Map week!

Options
  • 17-04-2010 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Well maps are part of season of related themes

Maps: Power, Plunder and Possession (Documentary)
    BBC 4 Sunday, April 18th, 2010 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Windows on the World. Episode 1
    Professor Jerry Brotton shows how maps can be snapshots of defining historical moments and tools of political power and persuasion. Visiting the world's first known map, etched into the rocks of an alpine hillside 3,000 years ago, Brotton explores how each culture develops its own way of mapping. He looks at how the French Cassini dynasty pioneered the quest to map the world with greater scientific accuracy, and the devastation caused when the British carved Iraq out of the Middle East.

The Beauty of Maps (Documentary)
    BBC 4 Monday, April 19th, 2010 8:30pm to 9:00pm and every night until Thursday in same time slot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I really like the history of Cartography, actually. Some of the olde maps were really pretty.

world_map_17th_century_by_hermann_moll_poster-p228736140212550893t5ta_400.jpg

World Map 17th Century by Hermann Moll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree, maps can be enigmatic works of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Thanks for posting! I love old maps, remember researching the old maps of Cork when doing my Thesis in Cork. Absolutely amazingly beautiful work on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

There's something mystical about ancient maps all that history wrapped up in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The OSi has a map viewer online

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,600000,750000,0

Ticking the "Historic B&W" box on the right will give you the old 6 inch mapping carried out by the british army circa 1890. Interesting to see how things have changed (dramatic in some parts - check out the blessington lakes around valleymount!)

For you old map fanatics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

John Speed's map of Dublin from 1610, worth a gander even if it is on a website for 12-year-olds.

Advertisement