Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Are there other approaches not being discussed here? Sorry for the continuing to derail the thread slightly. I was genuinely under the impression that ABC was the best practice devised so far. Though I haven't done much study on the matter.

@Irlandese Thank you for the long post but I wanted to know if there's a more effective way or ways of tackling the problem.
    Irlandese wrote: »
    ABC and all your other anagrams work on similar jingoistic and often ideologically driven and quite nonsensical assumptions.

I have no ideological attachment to any acronyms and I certainly haven't claimed ABC as my own. If I see something that works better I'm happy to support that, better is better. Or if you prefer BIB;WINB;TSINB;WLB*

*Better Is Better; Worse Is Not Better; The Same Is Not Better; We Like Better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

@Irlandese Thank you for the long post but I wanted to know if there's a more effective way or ways of tackling the problem.

I have no ideological attachment to any acronyms and I certainly haven't claimed ABC as my own. If I see something that works better I'm happy to support that, better is better. Or if you prefer BIB;WINB;TSINB;WLB*

*Better Is Better; Worse Is Not Better; The Same Is Not Better; We Like Better :P
    Way off thread, man. You already admitted same. Respect that.
    Probably not deliberate but start a new one if this is what lights your candle.
    The main thread is too important to be side-tracked, deliberately or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

robindch wrote: »
    The poop's argument...

Now, there's a title I think he deserves... :pac:

PDN wrote: »
    It's not a case of arguing over what the Pope meant. It's a case of you claiming he's said one thing and then, when asked to back it up, you link to him saying something entirely different.

You said, "The Pope saying they don't protect you from contracting Aids is not going to help."

The Pope said, "You can't resolve it (the AIDS epidemic) with the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, it increases the problem."

Now come on, you'd need an absolute brass neck to try and equate those two statements.

In fact, it reminds me of arguments I've had with American friends about gun control.

I say, "Widespread gun ownership creates a more violent society." (a sociological argument looking at society as a whole)

They reply, "Having a gun in the house makes you safer if someone breaks into your home." (a practical argument referring to an individual's circumstances).

In fact, both statements are probably true. Having a gun in your home may well make you safer in the event of a break in, but that does not alter my position that widespread gun ownership actually creates more violence in society-thus actually increasing the risk of you getting killed in your home.

What would drive me up the wall would be if my American friends accused me of saying that owning a gun will not make you safer if someone breaks into your home. In fact, if they said that, I would conclude that they were either dishonestly twisting my words or else they had a stunningly bad grasp of the English language.

Now,the Pope's argument is a sociological one. He is saying that widespread condom distribution may promote a more liberal approach to sexuality which will actually result in more people engaging in unprotected sex - thus increasing the AIDS problem. He is not saying that condoms provide no protection for Babatunde against AIDS if Babatunde decides to shack up with a prostitute in a Lagos brothel.

You may disagree with the Pope's argument (I certainly disagree with it) but it is a sociological argument that cannot be dismissed out of hand.

But misrepresenting that argument (to pretend that the Pope has said that condoms don't provide protection against AIDS) as I have seen posters do on this forum and on the Christianity forum, contributes nothing to sensible discussion, and I think the debate on AIDS deserves better.
    This post seems way off thread, just maybe unintentionally??
    Why don't people start a new thread on the relative merits of different health education strategies for preventing HIV infection, if they are really interested in that, as opposed to de-railing the thread? Am I being too suspicious? Spent too long in another forum, have I ??
    Some facts, from my own relevant health professional background which included relevant research in the UK, USA, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany and France. The evidence from extensive research, widely available in the literature, in the netherlands et al is that good health education and introducing the thorny subject of condom use into the debate between consenting aadults raises the intellectual level of decisions about sexual activity and in general results in lower rather than higher levels of incidence of sexually transmitted diseases. The pope's opinion is a biased, ideologically driven scientifically incorrect one and most professional observers know this. So do the people who shove the incorrect opinion out, but their interests have little to do with infection control, just as the Pope's interventions into child abuse were about damage limitation to the church, not protecting children abused by priests. That is the only connection between the two topics as examined here. It should go to a new thread if they are really sincere.
    Lets please stay on thread about " ON-GOING CHURCH SCANDALS"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It should go to a new thread if they are really sincere.
    The best way to allow a thread back on track is to stop responding to a tangential discussion that appears already to have run it's course. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This post seems way off thread, just maybe unintentionally??
    It would be pretty bad if people were able to ascribe false or misattributed quotes etc, but that any corrections or clarifications were forbidden because they were off topic.

I was merely responding to claims made in this thread.
    Am I being too suspicious? Spent too long in another forum, have I ??
    Sorry, this appears to be addressed to me, but I think how long you spend where is your business not mine. I am merely responding to a thread in this forum - not any other.
    Some facts, from my own relevant health professional background which included relevant research in the UK, USA, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany and France. The evidence from extensive research, widely available in the literature, in the netherlands et al is that good health education and introducing the thorny subject of condom use into the debate between consenting aadults raises the intellectual level of decisions about sexual activity and in general results in lower rather than higher levels of incidence of sexually transmitted diseases. The pope's opinion is a biased, ideologically driven scientifically incorrect one and most professional observers know this. So do the people who shove the incorrect opinion out, but their interests have little to do with infection control, just as the Pope's interventions into child abuse were about damage limitation to the church, not protecting children abused by priests. That is the only connection between the two topics as examined here. It should go to a new thread if they are really sincere.
    Sorry, now I'm confused. You've just posted a whack of text about something that you're saying is off-topic and shouldn't be posted here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8622671.stm

Sorry if this has been posted on the forum already. If it hasn't, can someone explain the popes intentions to me?
    Pope Benedict XVI has called on Roman Catholics to "do penance" for their sins, an apparent reference to the recent child sexual abuse scandal.
    Why is the pope seemingly asking all Catholics to do penance for the Churches (read: abusers) sins? Imo the fault didn't lie with Catholics - but the people that were to blame in this scandal.

Is the pope wanting his followers to take the blame for all this abuse or does the Catholic belief say that anyone that follows Catholicism is to blame for anyone else that believes in Catholicism's 'sins'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Gordon, it looks like another half arsed attempt to shift blame. He's an ex Nazi he'd know all about the idea of collective guilt (and so do we).

Oh yeah, Your Hole - iness, saying an oul' prayer or two is gonna undo centuries of child - rape? FFS:rolleyes:

Gordon, it looks like another half arsed attempt to shift blame.
    I must say, it looks like it to me. First it seemed like the vatican was on the defensive with the anti-semitism link, then trying to lay blame on homosexuality and now that everyone should say sorry. I could be wrong with the timeline though so please someone correct me if so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Gordon wrote: »
    Is the pope wanting his followers to take the blame for all this abuse or does the Catholic belief say that anyone that follows Catholicism is to blame for anyone else that believes in Catholicism's 'sins'?
    No, it's to do with the way that catholic theology works and how the pope wants to get his client population as well as god involved in sorting out the mess.

In catholicism (and christianity in general), somebody can gain brownie points with god if he/she does things that are good, but which she/she doesn't like doing, or if he/she undergoes something that's unpleasant to some degree, but whose unpleasantness the person agrees to undergo in order to earn these brownie points. These brownie points are collectively called "grace" and are earned by "doing penance" and christians generally believe, as they are required to, that by earning a sufficient amount of grace, god will be more likely to act in accordance with the believer's wishes.

In this case, the pope wants everybody to earn a little bit of grace so that god will help dig the church out of the hole it's got itself into.

Reading the article, it seems that by referring to the world "attacking" believers, that the pope is -- quite unbelievably -- trying to make his flock believe that the act of undergoing sorrow for the acts of pedophile priests can earn grace, and that, together with other grace-earning acts, will improve the lot of the church.

This doesn't make a jot of sense, but it's the way that the pope has trained his brain to think and that's why he wants all catholics to do a bit of penance.

Actually out of interest, does anybody remember this stuff from religion class in school? Or am I the only one...? :eek:

• Advertisement

or if he/she undergoes something that's unpleasant to some degree, but whose unpleasantness the person agrees to undergo in order to earn these brownie points.

Sounds like the root of the problem right there :eek:

PDN wrote: »
    It would be pretty bad if people were able to ascribe false or misattributed quotes etc, but that any corrections or clarifications were forbidden because they were off topic.

I was merely responding to claims made in this thread.

Sorry, this appears to be addressed to me, but I think how long you spend where is your business not mine. I am merely responding to a thread in this forum - not any other.

Sorry, now I'm confused. You've just posted a whack of text about something that you're saying is off-topic and shouldn't be posted here? :confused:
    I will only respond to the last bit, people: Last para was just correcting the earlier posted nonsense written about condoms actually supposedly making the situation worse. One should not let dangerous nonsense like that, that might affect lives go un-challenged, once it was popped in here.
    But I am not discussing it again here. It is off thread.

I must say, it looks like it to me. First it seemed like the vatican was on the defensive with the anti-semitism link, then trying to lay blame on homosexuality and now that everyone should say sorry. I could be wrong with the timeline though so please someone correct me if so.
    This great interactive time line was off line and is now back, maybe only for a matter of hours.
    I do not have the computer skills to copy it, but it is a "must see" if you are interested, especially the copy letters.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/03/25/world/europe/20100325-priestabuse-timeline.html?ref=europe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8622671.stm

Sorry if this has been posted on the forum already. If it hasn't, can someone explain the popes intentions to me?

Why is the pope seemingly asking all Catholics to do penance for the Churches (read: abusers) sins? Imo the fault didn't lie with Catholics - but the people that were to blame in this scandal.

Is the pope wanting his followers to take the blame for all this abuse or does the Catholic belief say that anyone that follows Catholicism is to blame for anyone else that believes in Catholicism's 'sins'? :confused:

It's basically because the universe is magic. If Christians were more Christian and prayed for the priests more they wouldn't be in this mess.

People seem to forget that while being a gigantic corporation, counseling service and teaching institution, the church is also a group of people who are wildly deluded about how the universe works.

The Jews did it. Check.
    The gays did it. Check.
    The average Catholic did it. Check.
    It's actually the fault of the Catholic leadership. No. Never. Ever ever ever.

Gordon, others,
    you can actually download it if you sign in to New York Times and then e-mail it to yourself. I just did it. If you cannot, send me an e-mail address here and I will e-mail it on, but it's best if you get your own copy, as i want to keep my private e-mail address private if I can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Last para was just correcting the earlier posted nonsense written about condoms actually supposedly making the situation worse.
    Can you quote me the post where someone here said that? I must have missed it.

In catholicism (and christianity in general), somebody can gain brownie points with god if he/she does things that are good, but which she/she doesn't like doing, or if he/she undergoes something that's unpleasant to some degree, but whose unpleasantness the person agrees to undergo in order to earn these brownie points. These brownie points are collectively called "grace" and are earned by "doing penance" and christians generally believe, as they are required to, that by earning a sufficient amount of grace, god will be more likely to act in accordance with the believer's wishes.
    Ah! Thanks for the explanation, I'm not too hot on the intricacies of this particular type of belief's terms and conditions. So you are saying that grace is like what some people consider money - the more grace someone has - the better life they get. The pope is saying to people - go out and get more grace/go out and make more money; well he's the pope and has a direct line to god so why doesn't he just print more money, he's the central bank right? He should just give them 10 'grace points' automatically.

He has some special 'infallibility' superpowers, so why doesn't he just say to everyone - everyone is forgiven, you are all blessed, all of the church is absolved because I have prayed for everyone and said that everything's cool, so chill out, don't worry - I've sorted it all? Or does he have no special powers and only works off the collective consciousness of his flock? Or is it that if he gives everyone the same amount of grace points then he will just devalue grace points, just like when you print your own money it devalues money because more people have more to spend, so the cost of living rises to suit?

The more you look at religion the crazier it gets. If god really existed would he really have set out a terms of use this complicated?! "People that work for me have done some real bad sh*t, therefore I want everyone to undergo something unpleasant for me, just so I can give them some kudos, then I'll be sure that they think I rock, and I'll do something nice for them when they pop their clogs."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Ah! Thanks for the explanation, I'm not too hot on the intricacies of this particular type of belief's terms and conditions. So you are saying that grace is like what some people consider money - the more grace someone has - the better life they get. The pope is saying to people - go out and get more grace/go out and make more money; well he's the pope and has a direct line to god so why doesn't he just print more money, he's the central bank right? He should just give them 10 'grace points' automatically.

He has some special 'infallibility' superpowers, so why doesn't he just say to everyone - everyone is forgiven, you are all blessed, all of the church is absolved because I have prayed for everyone and said that everything's cool, so chill out, don't worry - I've sorted it all? Or does he have no special powers and only works off the collective consciousness of his flock? Or is it that if he gives everyone the same amount of grace points then he will just devalue grace points, just like when you print your own money it devalues money because more people have more to spend, so the cost of living rises to suit?

The more you look at religion the crazier it gets. If god really existed would he really have set out a terms of use this complicated?! "People that work for me have done some real bad sh*t, therefore I want everyone to undergo something unpleasant for me, just so I can give them some kudos, then I'll be sure that they think I rock, and I'll do something nice for them when they pop their clogs."

It's almost as if it ... makes no sense.

o_O

Dades wrote: »
    Can you quote me the post where someone here said that? I must have missed it.
    PDN's, here, off-topc, yesterday at 12.31 was just the most recent I spotted;
    "The Pope said, "You can't resolve it (the AIDS epidemic) with the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, it increases the problem."

Now I hope you are not just tricking me into going off-topic again ! !
    Ha ha !

PDN's, here, off-topc, yesterday at 12.31 was just the most recent I spotted;
    "The Pope said, "You can't resolve it (the AIDS epidemic) with the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, it increases the problem."

Now I hope you are not just tricking me into going off-topic again ! !
    Ha ha !
    I just see todays Irish Times very important and un-deniably authorative comment from the great and long officially church-silenced Christian Theologian, Dr. Hans Kung:

"Pope engineered cover-up of child sex abuse, says theologian.
    THE POPE has been accused by a leading theologian of engineering a worldwide cover-up of clerical child sex abuse in the Catholic Church and of having made worse everything that is wrong in the church.

The accusations have been levelled by Pope Benedict’s longtime critic and former colleague, Swiss theologian Fr Hans Kung, in an open letter to the Catholic bishops of the world, published in this newspaper today.

It is devastatingly critical of the pope and urges the bishops not to be silent where the current church crisis is concerned but to set about reform and call for another Vatican council.

Timed to coincide with the fifth anniversary of Benedict’s election as pope next Monday, Fr Kung says in the letter “there is no denying the fact that the worldwide system of covering up cases of sexual crimes committed by clerics was engineered by the Roman Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith under Cardinal Ratzinger (1981-2005)”.

He continues: “During the reign of Pope John Paul II, that Congregation had already taken charge of all such cases under oath of strictest silence. Ratzinger himself, on May 18th, 2001, sent a solemn document to all the bishops dealing with severe crimes ( epistula de delictis gravioribus ), in which cases of abuse were sealed under the secretum pontificium, the violation of which could entail grave ecclesiastical penalties.

“With good reason, therefore, many people have expected a personal mea culpa on the part of the former prefect and current pope.Instead, the pope passed up the opportunity afforded by Holy Week: On Easter Sunday, he had his innocence proclaimed urbi et orbi by the dean of the College of Cardinals [Cardinal Angelo Sodano].”

Fr Kung says that “when it comes to facing the major challenges of our times, his [Benedict’s] pontificate has increasingly passed up more opportunities than it has taken”.

Such missed opportunities included, he says, “rapprochement with the Protestant churches”, “reconciliation with the Jews”, “the opportunity for a dialogue with Muslims”, and “reconciliation with the colonised indigenous peoples of Latin America”.

Also missed was “the opportunity to help the people of Africa by allowing the use of birth control to fight overpopulation and condoms to fight the spread of HIV” and that of making “peace with modern science by clearly affirming the theory of evolution and accepting stem-cell research”.

He says that “with a return to pomp and spectacle catching the attention of the media, the reactionary forces in Rome have attempted to present us with a strong church fronted by an absolutistic ‘Vicar of Christ’ who combines the church’s legislative, executive and judicial powers in his hands alone. But Benedict’s policy of restoration has failed.”

• Advertisement

I just see todays Irish Times very important and un-deniably authorative comment from the great and long officially church-silenced Christian Theologian, Dr. Hans Kung:
    The text of the complete letter is here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0416/1224268443283.html

That's one hell of a kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

The text of the complete letter is here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0416/1224268443283.html

That's one hell of a kicking.
    Ratzinger himself, on May 18th, 2001, sent a solemn document to all the bishops dealing with severe crimes ( “epistula de delictis gravioribus” ), in which cases of abuse were sealed under the “secretum pontificium” , the violation of which could entail grave ecclesiastical penalties.

No communion biscuits for a month? No staying up late, reading Deuteronomy? Jesus puts you straight to voicemail?

No communion biscuits for a month? No staying up late, reading Deuteronomy? Jesus puts you straight to voicemail?
    No, it's worse than that -- you could get excommunicated!

<da, da, daaaaahhh>

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm losing track of who high ranking RCC officials have blamed. Is my list up to date?

-secularists
    -the gays
    -the jews
    -the devil
    -atheists
    -lapsed Catholics who don't pray enough
    A Mexican bishop says that "eroticism" on the telly and the internet is to blame.

Full story here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

-secularists
    -the gays
    -the jews
    -the devil
    -atheists
    -lapsed Catholics who don't pray enough
    -"eroticism" on the telly and the internet is to blame

Keep the list going, for kicks.

This is the same as any of the religious we encounter, isn't it? The will look at anything to blame, but themselves. They just cannot fathom it.

Its kinda like whenever someone in America snaps and shoots 15 people before topping himself. The media blame rap music, metal music, chatrooms, video games etc. Anything but actual guns. And catholicism is the smoking gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That's what I don't understand, too...he claims to converse with god and be god's greatest representative on earth - why not just ask god what has to happen to get forgiven and go to heaven? The fact that a religious organisation is scrabbling around trying to blame others while trying to gain brownie points to gain god's favour while simultaneously claiming to be the one true religion that has a hot-line to heaven is just such bizarre behaviour... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A Mexican bishop says that "eroticism" on the telly and the internet is to blame.

Full story here.

Reminds me of that fossil on Frontline who kept insisting that porography was the cause of the abuse. Pat Kenny (that's right, Pat Kenny was the voice of reason!) pointed out to her that much ofthe abuse happened long before pornography found it's way to Ireland. Not that it convinced her mind. Some people are so in denial that they can't proces simple facts. Later in the show she started ranting about pornography again (and IIRC condoms and abortion too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Its kinda like whenever someone in America snaps and shoots 15 people before topping himself. The media blame rap music, metal music, chatrooms, video games etc. Anything but actual guns. And catholicism is the smoking gun.

Interesting analogy.

So, if it's guns that are the problem in the US (rather than anything in the heads of the people using the guns, or any motivation, or any group they may belong to) then the problem in the child abuse scandal would be penises.

Ban them thangs I say! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Advertisement