Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science degree

Options
  • 14-04-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering which university is better for science ,I know what course I want to do so I dont need a big selection of degrees to choose from,
    I live closer to trinity than UCD ,I'm just wondering is there any real difference between them?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Hi I am wondering which university is better for science ,I know what course I want to do so I dont need a big selection of degrees to choose from,
    I live closer to trinity than UCD ,I'm just wondering is there any real difference between them?
    Thanks

They're all better than eachother.

I think this is the second thread someone started in the past year about science in TCD vs science in UCD.

Science in UCD is more flexible and you have more choses of degrees you can specialize in. They're building a new science centre in ucd that probably won't be finished by the end of your degree. Science in Trinity is more structured but less choses of degrees. UCD has a semesterised system which means you won't have to do all your exams at the end of the year, instead, your workload split between Christmas and Summer. The teaching standard I'd say it the same in both universities but TCD like to say that they're more recognised than UCD but that might be because they're older and more established. In TCD you have to do all your exams at the end of the year, which means more stress I guess. TCD has lovely neo-classical architecture. UCD has a concrete jungle (supposed to be 'modern'). UCD has better sports facillites (well at least we will when the new student centre is finished in the year 2030) and loads of open spaces. TCD has a field. The Student Union in UCD is corrupt. Don't know about TCD SU. TCD students are gay (full stop). UCD students are gay too but more straight acting.

PS: I'm studying science in UCD and I also live in the Northside (Swords), I have to take 2 buses. One takes 25 minutes into town and the other takes 20 minutes to reach ucd from the city centre. Overall I'm travelling from nearly an hour, but I am used to it now. I just listen to my iPod on the buses and fall asleep. :(

(Get out while you still can!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    They're all better than eachother.

I think this is the second thread someone started in the past year about science in TCD vs science in UCD.

Science in UCD is more flexible and you have more choses of degrees you can specialize in. They're building a new science centre in ucd that probably won't be finished by the end of your degree. Science in Trinity is more structured but less choses of degrees. UCD has a semesterised system which means you won't have to do all your exams at the end of the year, instead, your workload split between Christmas and Summer. The teaching standard I'd say it the same in both universities but TCD like to say that they're more recognised than UCD but that might be because they're older and more established. In TCD you have to do all your exams at the end of the year, which means more stress I guess. TCD has lovely neo-classical architecture. UCD has a concrete jungle (supposed to be 'modern'). UCD has better sports facillites (well at least we will when the new student centre is finished in the year 2030) and loads of open spaces. TCD has a field. The Student Union in UCD is corrupt. Don't know about TCD SU. TCD students are gay (full stop). UCD students are gay too but more straight acting.

PS: I'm studying science in UCD and I also live in the Northside (Swords), I have to take 2 buses. One takes 25 minutes into town and the other takes 20 minutes to reach ucd from the city centre. Overall I'm travelling from nearly an hour, but I am used to it now. I just listen to my iPod on the buses and fall asleep. :(

(Get out while you still can!!)
    Do you like UCD science and the university itself?
    Would you take a place in Trinity?(over UCD)
    If all TCD males are gay then the girls shall flock around me :pac:
    But its a long trek home after any social events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Do you like UCD science and the university itself?
    Would you take a place in Trinity?(over UCD)
    If all TCD males are gay then the girls shall flock around me :pac:
    But its a long trek home after any social events?

Yes, I guess I like science in UCD, lots of choses, lots of fun, lots of hole. I tell you what might be a smart thing to do though, go into one of the lecture and see what you make of them (call it a taste lecture). Don't worry, you won't have to ask for permission; a stranger of the street can literally walk in. And don't worry if you get strange faces from people who haven't seen you before, most students are either consentrating on what the lecturer is saying or hung over from the night before or just so dazzed by their own appearance that they don't pay attention to anyone around them (and yes this is probably true in Trinity too, this is college life).

You can easily find out what time the lectures are on in UCD go here >>> then go down to science >>> then choose DN008 Science - Omnibus (if that's what you want) >>> then you'll see a whole lot of modules. Before the name of the module (you take 12 modules every year) you will see a module code, for examples BIO10050. This basically tells you what subject it is (BIO - Biology) and the first digit after BIO tells you the stage or year. So this is a first year biology module. >>> Next click on a module that you're interested in (make sure it's a first year one e.g., XXX1****). This provides all the information about the modules. >>> At the bottom of this page you will see "When is this module offered". (The only thing is you'll have to find out from someone else about what lecture hall they're in but they'll usually be around the science hub, in Th. A, B, C, D, E, F.) >>> Click on it and you will see the times during the week that this is offered. If it ways Semester 1 (September to December) then it will not be on at the minute. Search for a semester 2 module.

(Here's a map that might help - MAP)

Th. A, B, C are on the second (top) floor and Th. D, E, F are on the the first (middle floor).

I think you should consider going into the lectures to see what they're like, it will help you make your decision. I don't know if you can find out what time the lectures are on in TCD, but go on to the Trinity forum and ask, I'm sure they'll help.

Would I take a place in Trinity?: Hmmm, good question, I don't know really. I heard that UCD was better for science/ engineering and TCD was better for Arts, Humanities and Law when I was filling out the ole CAO. So when making my chose I went by that sort of doctrine and I want to do science so UCD it was. If I wanted to do, let's say History or maybe economics, I would have put Trinity first. I also heard that UCD has a good social life and lots of clubs and societies.

Don't worry about getting home, most of the late night events don't happen on campus but in the city centre, so I just get the Nightlink home. And if you are caught in UCD, at let's say 1am, sneak into one of the vacant student residences (I didn't say anything) and stay the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Triona0

Hello

Does anyone know if its possible to study for a science degree by night or distance learning?

Advertisement