Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentia

Options
  • 07-04-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I know some of you may have heard this already but for those who haven't and who may wish to know, Valentia passed away today.

There are no words to describe how I feel about this news. My condolences go out to his family. I will miss him very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Just got the message through Danny's family on twitter. Felt quite horrified reading it like that.

Condolences for his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wow this is a Shock! May he R.I.P :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Jesus...he only commented on my Wedding thread yesterday afternoon.

Terrible news, only met him the once but he was exactly how you would've pictured him from here.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

I didn't know him other than to view and admire his photgraphy (usually in awe).

My sincere condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

that really puts things inot perspective. I've never met Danny, but he always acted like a gentleman on here. my thouhgts and condolences are with his family. God speed Danny, RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Oh no.... I was just thinking of him and wondering how he was doing. He will be greatly missed. My deepest condolences to his family.

David OShea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Haven't been on Twitter all day. I'm gutted. An absolute gent.....

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Only knew Valentia from his postings on this forum, where he came across as a really nice guy with a great photographic talent. A sad loss, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

It was a pleasure to have met Danny on many occasions. I'm absolutely shocked, this world has lost a great man.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

OMG I'm shocked at hearing this news. :(

RIP Danny. May you long be remembered

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What a loss to photography and to all his family and friends. I met him a few times and always had the deepest respect for him. A wonderful man and a stunning photographer.

Deepest sympathy to his wife and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

The nicest, funniest and wittiest man ever to grace boards and my life. A true gent if you ever met him.

Completely in shock and condolences to his family. RIP Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I'm also in shock - unfortunately, I only got to meet him once. RIP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

He was a true Gentleman, and perhaps on of the greatest photographers I've had to pleasure to share this space with.

He will be missed but never forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Very sad to hear this. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Very shocking news :(
    Never met him but have talked to him online a few times, follow him on twitter and I check out his photography on pixie.

RIP. My thought are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Dreadful news. Danny was a great photographer and a witty and erudite commentator on all things photographic...and much more besides.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

R.I.P Valentia, my prayers are with family and friends at this sad time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

sad news , I didnt know him but by all accounts here its sounds like his choice of assignment reflected what he was all about .... I love his sample pic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055512127

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Very sad news, I'm quite shocked reading that. Deepest condolences to teh family, he will be greatly missed around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

SuzieQ has a tribute album on her pixie and I think a tribute thread of pics of him and his best by him would be great, I'm sure he wouldnt've minded.

http://pix.ie/susieque/album/373473

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Thanks Treasa.

The news is just filtering through twitter and now boards. He was a wonderful man who I've only met a handful of times.

Anywhere here in Trim his name is very well known. He had many talents amongst them photography & acting. He was looking forward to the current production in Trim and had jesting with a few of us that we owed him payback for the photowalk by attending the play. A drama date that has been overtaken by Danny's untimely passing.

Danny is known here for his wit, charm and his wonderful photography. He was very willing to share his knowledge and passion. He was down at the Balloon Festival in Trim at the weekend and unfortunately I didn't get down to meet him.

He produced some wonderful shots from the weekend including this image for which he earned a TOTD.

8A701BFF24EC484E8D81064A2755B9EC-240.jpg

This is one of Danny's many, many wonderful images.

5787519118D947B39DF2D56CF2AC6EE2-240.jpg03AB5F266B804E1CA4435554CB5C361F-240.jpg

Danny O'Brien. May you rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I met him years ago at Charleville, where he was a perfect gentleman, and we've spoken many times since. This is terrible. :(

Do we have any funeral details?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

That's shocking. I remember seeing his post on AR's thread yesterday. I always looked forward to his posts on the Random thread and his contributions to other threads. A great photographer and seemed like a sound guy, never had the pleasure of meeting him. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

my thoughts and condolences to his family and friends. It's a testament to the man been mentioned so many times how nice he was to everyone. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

RIP Danny. shocked. Never met him,always checking his pix.ie acc as was in awe of his pics. He is the reason i want to go to Skellig islands this year. Will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Fenster wrote: »
    Do we have any funeral details?

Not yet I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm shocked at this news, after all the hardship Danny had over the last year or two I hoped he'd turned the corner healthwise, the people above have said it all really but I'd like to say he was always an absolute gent, anytime I met him he always had an encouraging word for everyone.

My commiserations to his family, he'll be sorely missed.

RIP Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

:(:(

Man, there is honestly nothing i can say.

Danny was the first person (outside of Elven who i already knew personally) to welcome me to this little community on Boards, and i had so much time for his photography.
    The one that sticks out for me at the moment is the one of the birds feeding, i think it may have won some sort of Nokia related competition?

RIP Danny, my deepest condolences to your family.

Advertisement