Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic Fiat 500

• 09-09-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,
    I am hoping you can help. I have my heart set on a Fiat 500 for our wedding car next September & I am having a lot of trouble sourcing one. The only one I have found is in West Cork & costs a lot for the couple of hours that we need it.

If someone did have one that they would be willing to lease out, it would make my day. :D

Thanks
    Michelle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd advise against it if you mean as your main wedding car to bring you from the church to the reception. If you are to be driven by someone else, climbing into the back of such a small car, in a wedding dress, in the gaze of your guests may not be the most graceful of acts. If one of you are planning on driving yourselves, you'll have just got married, this will be the only few minutes you'll get together until the end of the night when you'll be shattered, use it a bit more productively than driving yourselves around.
    If on the other hand, you're planning on using it for your departure from the hotel the next day, I can't help you find one, but go for it, it'll put an even bigger smile on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I saw one advertised for sale recently in Dublin.She might be happy to earn a few quid for a wedding.
    Contact Caitriona <snip phone number>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If someone wants Catriona's phone number, can you PM bookerboy for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

-Chris- wrote: »
    If someone wants Catriona's phone number, can you PM bookerboy for it?

...mmm, oh, I think I'd like that number too. ;)

I'm not telling the SO that, though........:p :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...mmm, oh, I think I'd like that number too. ;)

I'm not telling the SO that, though........:p :p

I'm tracing your IP and emailing your SO as we speak... :cool::D

OP

Why not ask Fiat for a new one ?

At least it'll be all shiney'n'clean !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'm tracing your IP and emailing your SO as we speak... :cool::D

's OK, my SO's a Blonde, so good luck with trying go get through to her via the 'net .... :D

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    OP

Why not ask Fiat for a new one ?

At least it'll be all shiney'n'clean !

+1 I'd say if you ask nicely they'd be glad for the photo op.

See if you can get your pic in the local paper too so you can promise some exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

She did ask for a CLASSIC Fiat 500 - not the horrid new one...so I sent her here!

;)

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote: »
    She did ask for a CLASSIC Fiat 500 - not the horrid new one...so I sent her here!

;)

The new one IS a Classic........ in the making.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

:D

Not for a long while yet, and maybe never. I think its foul, and am not a fan of instant-retro. But then, people love the Figaro, so you could be right!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

shellsom wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am hoping you can help. I have my heart set on a Fiat 500 for our wedding car next September & I am having a lot of trouble sourcing one. The only one I have found is in West Cork & costs a lot for the couple of hours that we need it.

If someone did have one that they would be willing to lease out, it would make my day. :D

Thanks
    Michelle

Hey. I know a few people who might be able to help you! PM me for numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aguestie

Sorry to jump in on this but I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of any classsic 500's around Ireland? Condition is not important, Concourse, Rusty Old Sheds, Parts & Breaking - I am interested in all of these. I am trying to put together a database of any in the Country including scrapped ones & parts for sale.

Also, does anyone know of any original Irish registered Fiat 500's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Few Irish ones in this lot

DSC07907.jpg

Fiat500Cream.jpg

Fiat500rear.jpg

Fiat500Kilbeggan06.jpg

Fiat500Red.jpg

Fiat500Terenure06.jpg

Fiat500Terenure2007.jpg

I've some older photos of 500s, I'll have to scan them sometime but heres a list of regs

72 D 895 White Abarth 595 SS replica
    GUY 220J Blue Giardineria
    ONI 343 Navy saloon
    9547 ZA Red saloon
    GIO 29 Pale blue saloon
    64 KK 501 White saloon
    71 KK 502 White Autobianchi Giardiniera
    FZO 633 Red Saloon
    JZO 184 Yellow Saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aguestie

Blue850 - thank you for this. I really appreciate it. Nice to see some original Irish ones.

The dark blue one on the Dublin plate was for sale in Rathmines last summer & I went to view it. It was in ok condition, started, drove & stopped. Very useable condition. It needed a fair bit of bodywork & definately a re-spray. I tried to buy it but it was sold to a Dentist in Scotland who bought it for his daughter for 5k sterling!

Any luck with the car jack?????

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

wasnt there a lovely pea green one used in the lotto add on rte or something to do with scratch cards,i have a pic somewere of it at terenure car show,that could be worth a try for the wedding if its been used before for hire/reward the owner may be geared up for hiring it out.

aguestie wrote: »

Any luck with the car jack?????

Cheers

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mccalld

I am the proud owner of a 1972 fiat 500 which was refurbished this year and is in mint condition, It is navy blue with red upholstery if your wedding is this year, 2010. talk to me and discuss matters. The car is in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrmustard

The classic Cinquecento, one of the finest cars produced.
    I see you have a '72 model; the last time I travelled in a 500 it was new..in 1972!
    I have a wedding related request, but slightly different.
    I will be getting married in Italy in September and have provisionally arranged for a 500 - with a driver - to take us the 5 minutes from the church to the reception: who wants a Mercedes? It'll be one in the back - me - and one in the passenger seat.
    We live in Dublin and I was wondering if we could visit you and your car just to check it for 'fit' please? Speaking for myself..I'm not quite as slim as I used to be. Oh the years can be cruel!
    (Also, a good excuse to look at a 500 of course.)
    We know it's a great idea but just want to be..reassured!

I hope you don't mind me asking and thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I always think of classic 500s being the Topolinos rather than the Bambinos... (must be an age thing)

Fiat500topolino.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrmustard

Also a beautiful and classic car.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

Blue850 wrote: »
    I've some older photos of 500s, I'll have to scan them sometime but heres a list of regs

72 D 895 White Abarth 595 SS replica
    GUY 220J Blue Giardineria
    ONI 343 Navy saloon
    9547 ZA Red saloon
    GIO 29 Pale blue saloon
    64 KK 501 White saloon
    71 KK 502 White Autobianchi Giardiniera
    FZO 633 Red Saloon
    JZO 184 Yellow Saloon

Hey, Just scrolled down the list of regs and could not believe it when I saw my Old reg "Guy220J". I bought this car in 1996 from a guy in sheffield, It was in need of restoration and was originally yellow. I was big into 500's back then and myself and my dad stripped the engine and rebuilt it with 650cc piston and barrels. It was quicker than standard 499 and was well able to move. I took it back to UK with me in 2001 and kept in there until 2003 and then coming home that summer, I was only home a few hours and a guy that had some how got my number, phoned me and bought it from that evening. I was a student at the time and sold it fully restored for 3500 I think, which was cheap at the time too! I always regreted selling it and would love it back. I saw it on ebay a few later, it had made its way back to UK and was being sold by a family in Essex, of course 500's are top dollar now and i think it sold for 5000sterling in the same excellent condition as when I owned it. I got a 126 air cooled to try anr re ignite my youthfull passion, but its gone and the 126 is sitting on my drive.. unused, un loved... Could you send me that photo of my old Giardi, Thanks, Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fiat500search

Hi All,

Im love the classic fiat 500, I am looking to source one for 4 hours on the day of my wedding to do a 15 minute trip to the venue and to use for pictures. Would anyone be kind enough to rent theres to me?

thanks

mccalld wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of a 1972 fiat 500 which was refurbished this year and is in mint condition, It is navy blue with red upholstery if your wedding is this year, 2010. talk to me and discuss matters. The car is in Dublin.

Hi There

I am based in Dublin also and would be really interested in renting the car for my wedding. I dont know how to pm but could you mail me if this is possible?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mccalld

memaryandfiat.jpg

Here is a picture of my Fiat500 taken last summer. As you can see it is Navy Blue and in very good condition. It is a Right hand Drive Irish car from 1972. If you are still interested I am sure I can arrange a loan of it once it is well looked after.

Hi McCalld

Your car is fabulous. I really appreciate you coming back to me. To explain what we are looking to do, we are really just looking to drive the car on June 4th 2011 from the Church in Straffan to the venue in Celbridge (10 min drive) and then take some pictures with the car. We would take very good car of the car. Just to flag also it would just be my Fiance that would drive the car and he is in his 30s etc so is a very responsible driver. If you could pm me any details eg cost involved / anything you need form me to secure the booking I would be very grateful.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnmantis

Here is a pic of mine.. i restored it over three years and have been driving it since.. a few body changes but nothing too outrageous. The colour i got from a ferrari dealer.. 650cc with electronic ignition conversion and fast-road cam shaft. I have a Delortro cab to fit but have not gotten around to it yet.
    I hope i never have to sell it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a very cool 500, johnmantis :cool:

And welcome to boards!

Advertisement