Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in a rush so I need to buy a cookie mix!

I'm stuck between Betty Crocker's Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix or Odlum's Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix. Has anyone tried any of these and what are they like?

Also, is it true that these mixes lack flavour? If they do, can I add say a little vanilla essence or something to make it taste nicer?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Can I suggest that if you are going to add something to the mix, it might just be as easy to make the cookies?
    Try these ones, it takes ten minutes to make the mix.
    The betty crocker ones are just awful, really processed tasting.

Go on...its worth making them from scratch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

OpenBake wrote: »
    Can I suggest that if you are going to add something to the mix, it might just be as easy to make the cookies?
    Try these ones, it takes ten minutes to make the mix.
    The betty crocker ones are just awful, really processed tasting.

Go on...its worth making them from scratch...

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Well, I've tried recipes before for cookies but they never turn out properly! They're always really big and flat instead of turning out crunchy and round. I'm sorry to say I've had to resort to the mix! If there was some way my own cookies would turn out like the pictures in the book then it would be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If they're turning out big and flat it's because your butter is too soft and the mixture is spreading too much during baking.

To get them crunchy and round:
    • Use butter straight from the fridge, cut into small cubes; this'll make it easier to cream in the stand mixer. If doing it by hand, use room temperature butter. The butter shouldn't be soft to the touch
    • Once mixed, refrigerate mixture for 30 mins
    • Get a trigger-action ice-cream scoop to make even size cookie balls, or roll them by hand. Make them into golf ball sizes. The more round-shaped they are now, the more round they'll turn out once baked
    • Refrigerate cookie dough balls for a further 45 mins
    • Bake, straight from the fridge, in a pre-heated oven on the lowest shelf @ 190c for 10-12 minutes. Get an oven thermometer to make sure the temperature is accurate, they're under a tenner and you can just leave it in there all the time
    Cookie dough keeps for 3 days in the fridge, and improves the longer it's refrigerated. You can also roll it into a log and freeze it, so when you need to use it just thaw it for 20-30 mins then slice into thick rounds and bake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

If they're turning out big and flat it's because your butter is too soft and the mixture is spreading too much during baking.

To get them crunchy and round:
    • Use butter straight from the fridge, cut into small cubes; this'll make it easier to cream in the stand mixer. If doing it by hand, use room temperature butter. The butter shouldn't be soft to the touch
    • Once mixed, refrigerate mixture for 30 mins
    • Get a trigger-action ice-cream scoop to make even size cookie balls, or roll them by hand. Make them into golf ball sizes. The more round-shaped they are now, the more round they'll turn out once baked
    • Refrigerate cookie dough balls for a further 45 mins
    • Bake, straight from the fridge, in a pre-heated oven on the lowest shelf @ 190c for 10-12 minutes. Get an oven thermometer to make sure the temperature is accurate, they're under a tenner and you can just leave it in there all the time
    Cookie dough keeps for 3 days in the fridge, and improves the longer it's refrigerated. You can also roll it into a log and freeze it, so when you need to use it just thaw it for 20-30 mins then slice into thick rounds and bake.

Thanks very much for that! I was wondering why my cookies never turned out properly! I can cook just about everything else, but cookies with having to use a moulded biscuit tray to get the right results was what I had to resort to! Thank you so much!

Advertisement