Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Fitz arrested?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

It's safe to say the arrest was a shock/surprise. With recent in the EU about states keeping up standards and efficient budgets would the arrest have anything to do with showing the EU that Ireland is trying to stop being a piss pot that's rotten to the core?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Cyrus wrote: »
    Problem with accountants aswell do we? what pray tell do you do Pah?

Aswell as who?

No I don't have a problem with accountants it was an attempt at humour, more so in my own head I suppose. No offence intended, my wife is an accountant & I'm a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

bamboozle wrote: »
    McDowell was excellent, his problem was he did what was he felt was right rather than what was politically right, hence his low popularity, if our current TD's shared his integrity we'd be in a far better place.

i felt the same until he took he took the politically safe route by backing Ahern when the right thing to do was desert him. to his supporters this was likely a political miscalculation rather than him putting his political position before doing the right thing.

anyway regarding Sean Fitzpatrick, it definitely seems there will be many keen to see it all blamed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So he was released, gardai to issue a statement later today.

Would I be right in assuming that he wasn't therefore charged and at best a file is being prepared for the DPP ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jip wrote: »
    ...Would I be right in assuming that he wasn't therefore charged and at best a file is being prepared for the DPP ?
    At a guess, I'd say you're on the right track.
    It will still be a while before anything else substantial emerges as not to prejudice any case one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If people like Mary Harney could keep their traps shut or mostly shut this time that might help as well. I suspect that Brian Lenihan has kept this somewhere in mind while not making public statements on this particular individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

IMHO,

its just a show for the cameras, "show the poor feckers who are paying for nama that were doing somthing"

Nothing will come of this.

I hope im wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

IMHO,

its just a show for the cameras, "show the poor feckers who are paying for nama that were doing somthing"

I hope im wrong...

I'd say you're probably right. Plus there's the fact that the Anglo results look as if they will result in a massive recapitalisation using taxpayers' money.

Will all ministers be back in the country at that stage I'm wondering?

I wonder will Enda Kenny get back on his high horse about Anglo again after saying that the public will revolt if more money goes into it?

There's a strong argument that all the time that it's taken to get anywhere with this has given the developers more than enough time to get rid of alot of paperwork that proves they've been up to no good and to transfer alot of assets out of their own names and to cover up anything else as best they can.

They probably have it right in the US where they bring in the perps immediately and then ask questions and compile the evidence as necessary from everything they find.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

IMHO,

I hope im wrong...

Going by past experience there's not a hope in hell anything serious will happen to seanie. Given that he was head of anglo, the FF bank, the most he can expect is a light slap on the wrists and a token fine, in a process that will be dragged out over many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

IMHO,

I hope im wrong...

Nail on the head. They brought him in for questioning and searched his house now. What in gods name did they expect to find at his house now. It was over a year ago they should have been doing this. Most likely a PR stunt and the Irish electorate are so gullable that you can probably expect a rise for Fianna Fail in the next poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

transylman wrote: »
    Going by past experience there's not a hope in hell anything serious will happen to seanie. Given that he was head of anglo, the FF bank, the most he can expect is a light slap on the wrists and a token fine, in a process that will be dragged out over many years.

Its all just an exercise for the public/voters to see that Fitzpatrick is being questioned, a PR stunt. If it was an ordinary citizen with an outstanding TV licence then there would be charges. A few million Euro and a a few billions ah sure its nothing between friends. He probably refused to answer any questions unless he was paid. They probably even gave him the best cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As a few posters have mentioned or alluded to, isn't it slightly ironic that they finally go and talk to guy a week before the results are goign to show how bad the losses are at Anglo and thus how much it will cost the taxpayers.

When did he resign as chairman, when did the personal loans movements come out, when did the golden circle scheme become public, when did the IL&P rent a deposit scheme become public ?
    Yet it has taken until now for him to be dragged in for questioning. :rolleyes:

The whole thing stinks.
    They will compile a file for the DPP, they might press some charges and slap a fine on him, but the chances of seanie ever serving time for anything is slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'd rather see justice done here than a trial been rushed to appease the baying pessimistic souls here and failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,615 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Two things stood out for me yesterday watching Seannie leave Bray Station; one, he is the spit of Mr John Gilligan, and two, the car that picked him up, a VW 01 Golf? This was arranged so as not to draw too much attention to his lavish wealth. He's looking to display a less than wealthy image to maybe gain some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

walshb wrote: »
    Two things stood out for me yesterday watching Seannie leave Bray Station; one, he is the spit of Mr John Gilligan, and two, the car that picked him up, a VW 01 Golf? This was arranged so as not to draw too much attention to his lavish wealth. He's looking to display a less than wealthy image to maybe gain some support.

Apart from the house which is probably untouchable as it is in the family name, I believe he is screwed for cash.
    His main "assets" I believe were his shares in Anglo which were worth 90mil at the height.
    The bank are now after him for 70 mill which he appears not to be able to repay. Perhaps that Golf is as good as it gets for him now.

kippy wrote: »
    Apart from the house which is probably untouchable as it is in the family name, I believe he is screwed for cash.
    His main "assets" I believe were his shares in Anglo which were worth 90mil at the height.
    The bank are now after him for 70 mill which he appears not to be able to repay. Perhaps that Golf is as good as it gets for him now.

C'mon, don't tell me that Seannie is resigned to being picked up in a 2001 Golf?

I know he may well be under pressure, but this lad is a wealthy man. The "trick" with the car was too obvious, at least to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

kippy wrote: »

The bloke has a €200K car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Jip wrote: »
    So he was released, gardai to issue a statement later today.

Would I be right in assuming that he wasn't therefore charged and at best a file is being prepared for the DPP ?

judging from the garda press releases, they have more people targeted for arrest and questioning. Most likely gathering as much testimonies as possible so they can bring solid cases for conviction to the DPP

hopefully non of these guys skip town while the investigation is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

C'mon, don't tell me that Seannie is resigned to being picked up in a 2001 Golf?

I know he may well be under pressure, but this lad is a wealthy man. The "trick" with the car was too obvious, at least to me.

the car is his sons and seanie himself has been seen in a passat for the past year

id imagine family home aside he is broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That's what happens to irresponsible dodgy gamblers.

Unfortunately, it's what happens in this country to decent hardworking people too, as a direct result.

• Advertisement

the car is his sons and seanie himself has been seen in a passat for the past year

And my point is that this is all part of the plan with Seannie.

He doesn't want to be seen now to be swanning around in absolute luxury, hard neck
    or not, the man isn't stupid. This is all part of an act.

Broke? C'mon, are you gonna' fall for that one? These people are never broke.
    Don't think for a second that this guy is driving around in a "banger" because he has to.

BTW, he did kiss the person who picked him up in the 2001 "banger". That told me it was the Wife/girlfriend driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Seanie needs to call Brian Dobson for a Bertie Special...a tearful "maybe if I had made a bit more money....sob" ought to do wonders for his PR.

As it is people may have to recognise that Seanie might not actually have done anything illegal under Irish law. Corrupt or reckless, yes, illegal no. Look at the Fyffes case - its okay to engage in insider trading so long as you believed it was okay at the time.

So long as Seanie believed he was doing the right thing at the time, regardless of negligence, he is probably bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

shane ross said on the last word that fitzpatrick gets a 10,000e pension from Anglo a week,dont know about you guys but i would be struggling to live on that:rolleyes: i mean biz class seats to the US cost about 5k return:eek:

shane ross said on the last word that fitzpatrick gets a 10,000e pension from Anglo a week,dont know about you guys but i would be struggling to live on that:rolleyes: i mean biz class seats to the US cost about 5k return:eek:

Yeah, in a couple of weeks he could get rid of that VW 2001 and buy a decent car....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Doubtful

Thats interesting - however is is at least 70 mill in debt.....you'd assume that 10K wouldnt go far in covering that.....
    Not feeling sorry for the guy or anything like that, but I do believe he is, barring the house, broke, debts taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Have a look here, his shares in the oil field are still worth a lot and are not part of the €70 million Anglo is suing him for

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0320/1224266710923.html

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Have a look here, his shares in the oil field are still worth a lot and are not part of the €70 million Anglo is suing him for

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0320/1224266710923.html

By the looks of it, the only reason they arent chasing him for that 30 stake is that he may be able to sell for a higher price in the next few years. It does however appear that "stake" is purely based on a 30 million loan from Anglo..........

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That's what happens to irresponsible dodgy gamblers.

Unfortunately, it's what happens in this country to decent hardworking people too, as a direct result.

how are decent hardworking people broke because of him?

• Advertisement

And my point is that this is all part of the plan with Seannie.

He doesn't want to be seen now to be swanning around in absolute luxury, hard neck
    or not, the man isn't stupid. This is all part of an act.

Broke? C'mon, are you gonna' fall for that one? These people are never broke.
    Don't think for a second that this guy is driving around in a "banger" because he has to.

BTW, he did kiss the person who picked him up in the 2001 "banger". That told me it was the Wife/girlfriend driving.

it was his son,

ive no doubt but that he is broke, apparently he has liquidated most of his assets apart from the oil field and he is 70m in the hole,

you can dress it up anyway you like, unless he has 80m squirreled away, he is broke

Advertisement