Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish use more fake tan than any other people on planet

Options
  • 19-03-2010 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard it said on RTE! Per captia of course.

Whats wrong with pale and interesting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its only since the Belfast agreement though - We're embracing our Orange side;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It wouldn't suprise me. Irish girls and wimmen seem to have an obsession with being a streaky tangerine colour. They seem to think they look like Brazilians or Italians while they just look mucky and dirty.

I got married recently and being of a very pale colour (think almost blue) I refused point blank to slap on the false tan. Talk about bucking the trend, people were horrified that I'd dare to be so pale on my wedding day.

I picked a dress that suited my skintone and brazened it out. I looked lovely in my photos even if I do say so myself and so glad I stayed away from the dreaded orange stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's revolting stuff. I had an ex who made me put it on her back for her. Smelt bad, ended up on clothes, and worse, made her look ridiculous. Your face is orange, but your hands are white!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It wouldn't suprise me. Irish girls and wimmen seem to have an obsession with being a streaky tangerine colour. They seem to think they look like Brazilians or Italians while they just look mucky and dirty.

I got married recently and being of a very pale colour (think almost blue) I refused point blank to slap on the false tan. Talk about bucking the trend, people were horrified that I'd dare to be so pale on my wedding day.

I picked a dress that suited my skintone and brazened it out. I looked lovely in my photos even if I do say so myself and so glad I stayed away from the dreaded orange stuff.

Well done for standing your ground, I'm that deathly pale colour too most of the time and anytime I've gone to a wedding (four last year) I got 'I'll do your tan for you' from friends that were also going, in the sense that they were horrified that I would consider leaving the house, let alone go to the wedding without being tangoed. I didn't take them up on their offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

just goes to show if the women in question can see beauty in the mirror while glowing why couldn't they have convinced themselves they grand b4 it. I think it is disgusting and always laugh when I see it all over womens hands like they were handling poo or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

In fairness not all tan is orange, it's like everything, some women wear the right colour and some don't, the same goes for make up, some women can apply it well and some haven't a clue. But anyway what about it? Each to their own, maybe not everyone wants to be pale, I personally feel and look better with tan on, i wear it a weekends when going out and it looks slightly darker than when I get a real tan when on holidays but not a bit orange, If I felt I looked better pale then I wouldn't wear tan. Each to their own I say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Good job! I think I'd do the same! I don't understand why people would pay for a tan! I have only used fake tan once in my life and that was because my Mum made me for my debs. :)

In fairness not all tan is orange, it's like everything, some women wear the right colour and some don't, the same goes for make up, some women can apply it well and some haven't a clue. But anyway what about it? Each to their own, maybe not everyone wants to be pale, I personally feel and look better with tan on, i wear it a weekends when going out and it looks slightly darker than when I get a real tan when on holidays but not a bit orange, If I felt I looked better pale then I wouldn't wear tan. Each to their own I say

Ok really good point Miss M. I always argue with my friends about wearing fake tan and not one of them ever have anything to say back. I do understand the confidence attached to being tanned, I tan easily so always go on holidays at the start of the year and my tan will last till the end of the summer usually if I'm lucky, so I guess I can avoid the fake tan.

You do see lots of girls who look like they've marinated in club orange overnight alright but I also agree with you on your other point. Some girls can apply make up and some make a balls of it. Same with tan, though there seem to be less people who can apply tan.

My friend uses Sally Henson or something, hope I spelled it right, and she always looks lovely. It is not orange and it's not too dark, looks really natural. But each to their own as you said! :)

Yeah it definitely makes me feel better, my skin can be quite blotchy so I just feel more confident with some on. I use the sally tan aswell and I think it's one of the nicest and most natural too and it washes off the next day.But I completely agree that some girls do look like theyve been tangoed alright!! Thankfully my friends and my other half would be the first to tell me if I looked like that :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Whenever there's a discussion about fake tan, it always comes down to girls saying that 'other girls' don't know how to put it on properly, but 'I do'. (I've been guilty of this myself in the past!).

So surely we can't ALL be the minority who wear it well?!

I think we've become so used to it being everywhere that we think it actually looks normal, when it really, really doesn't. It doesn't look anything like real tan. Yes, it covers paleness if that's an issue of insecurity. Less, it probably evens out blotchiness. But I think anyone who thinks it doesn't look like they're wearing fake tan is kidding themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I hate the stuff, i refused to wear it on my weding day. the girl at the beauty salon was shocked and even some of the wedding guests asked why i didnt were it. I told them straight I HATE FAKE TAN. I dont want to be orange, i'm happy with how i look.

My husband hates the stuff aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Hate the stuff, tho in my head I'm thinking €30-40 for a bottle of fake than god know's how much for a spray tan ... if you were ompa loompa all year around how much would that cost you??

Less than €400 got me over a week of relaxation last year & an all year around tan!

I get a tan on holidays but it nevers lasts more than a few months! The Sally Hanson tan is around 12 euro and it can last me 2 to 3 months because I don't go out every weekend and I don't use alot of it.
    I know I look like I'm wearing tan but that's the whole point, I look like I have a tan which people know isn't natural so obviously I look like I'm wearing fake tan, I don't think anyone kids themselves that people think it's a natural tan, I don't anyway. But the one I use isn't orange and the majority of girls I know that use it don't look orange either, it all depends on the colour they go for. Feck it it makes me feel better about myself and that's all that matters! The day I think I look better without it I'll stop using it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, I hate fake tan. I have very very pale skin and very fair hair and light eyes so tan just looks ridiculous on me. Think I've worn it 3 times ever. Just can't be arsed! The amount of people I know that can't go out without wearing fake tan is ridiculous though. And it nearly always looks silly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I absolutely hate the tango colour that girls wear - they literally look like flourescent oompa-loompas! :eek: And most of them don't realise that it looks that awful. I think the worst I saw was a girl in college who had a yellowy-greeny colour on her. It was cringe-worthy, but yet I couldn't stop staring.

However, that said, there are some tans out there which, while we all know they aren't natural, they do have a better and more natural looking colour to them. As long as people choose one that suits their skin colour it doesn't look so bad. I don't often wear fake tan as my tan tends to last for quite a while, but at this stage of the year I notice that my make up, which is very pale, tends to look very dark on my skin, so depending on where I was going I might put on a very light coloured tan so that I don't have a brown face and a very pale body (which looks as bad as a brown body and white face, in my opinion). I don't actually look like I'm wearing tan, it just stops me looking like a ghost, though I still look white compared to my friends who'd wear their tan. Moreover, they don't believe that I'm actually wearing tan because I look so white.

Like other posters have mentioned, I do believe that fake tan is a case of each to their own. Just because I don't normally wear it (only wearing a pale colour if I do), I have no problem with those who do wish to cover themselves in fake tan. I just think that some people need to make sure that they choose a colour that naturally blends with their skin tone so as to avoid looking like they've been tangoed, as it actually detracts from them more than if they looked pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I hate the tango look as well.
    I cant really understand why certain people believe a tan is good looking.
    While fake tan is a lot safer than roasting yourself in a sunbed/under the sun, it really isnt that attractive.
    Some day peer pressure and media hype may not have as much control over the common person.

I'd love to hear more fella's opinions on tans. I don't like fake tan myself but another way I see it is when I'm out in town(not wearing any tan) it's always the girls that come in orange who turns every guys head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

kippy wrote: »
    Some day peer pressure and media hype may not have as much control over the common person.

That's a really good point, and I couldn't agree with you more. The media is really having a negative impact on society. Ok, it's our fault for allowing the media dictate to us, but the fact that they portray an image that women have to be unnaturally thin without an ounce of extra flesh and covered in tan in order to look beautiful is detrimental and damaging.

/rant over....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well at least you won't be embarrassed by your wedding photos when this you've-been-tangoed fad becomes a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

NoDice wrote: »
    I'd love to hear more fella's opinions on tans...

it's always the girls that come in orange who turns every guys head.

personally speaking yes, girls with fake tans do catch my attention, but usually what im thinking is "she looks hilarious!" :D

i havent the heart to tell some of my female friends that wear fake tan and think guys are "perving" on them that no, no we're not, we just find the look rather amusing, its not because we think you're anything special... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

xsiborg wrote: »
    personally speaking yes, girls with fake tans do catch my attention, but usually what im thinking is "she looks hilarious!" :D

i havent the heart to tell some of my female friends that wear fake tan and think guys are "perving" on them that no, no we're not, we just find the look rather amusing, its not because we think you're anything special... :rolleyes:

Fake tan only looks hilarious when its applied incorrectly! I nice well applied tan is really attractive and looks really well. Its all about the skill of the person using the tan , and of course which tan they use. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

mike65 wrote: »
    Just heard it said on RTE! Per captia of course.

Whats wrong with pale and interesting?

oh then it must be true!!! If RTE said it. Sure with the exception of Japan or china I think, we txt more than anyone in the world too. Vodafone 2007. So where a nation of alchoholic, umpa lumpas who love runnig up the cost of our bills. Maybe so, just look at our minister for health, I resteth my case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

I'd love to hear more fella's opinions on tans. I don't like fake tan myself but another way I see it is when I'm out in town(not wearing any tan) it's always the girls that come in orange who turns every guys head.

I always think girls with fake tan look really nice, and they always catch my eye. The odd few do screw it up and end up like a smelly can of fanta tho!

Its all a confidence thing tho, pale girls are IMO way hotter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Kooli wrote: »
    Whenever there's a discussion about fake tan, it always comes down to girls saying that 'other girls' don't know how to put it on properly, but 'I do'. (I've been guilty of this myself in the past!).

So surely we can't ALL be the minority who wear it well?!

I think we've become so used to it being everywhere that we think it actually looks normal, when it really, really doesn't. It doesn't look anything like real tan. Yes, it covers paleness if that's an issue of insecurity. Less, it probably evens out blotchiness. But I think anyone who thinks it doesn't look like they're wearing fake tan is kidding themselves.

I don't think so, I think the people who wear it well are in the majority. It's just that it's not noticeable. I mean, I still look pale when I have fake tan on, but it's just a less white shade of pale :pac: I don't want people to think I've been away on holidays and look really brown, because I don't tan naturally anyway! I just want it to take away the shocking pale look.

I think it's like make-up. I always remember an ex being really surprised when he saw me putting on make-up one morning and said he thought I was a "natural" girl. I had been going out with him about 6 months at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

One thing that bugs me in most fake tan arguments is when people say 'we're Irish, we're pale and fake tan is stupid to use cuz it's obviously fake'.

Of course we're pale, we have no sunshine! So are we not perfect candidates for fake tan? Would it not be more ridiculous for someone in Mexico or Australia to wear fake tan when they're probably tanned from the sun already?
    We cannot get a natural tan in this country so of course we should use fake tan. It's much healthier than sunbeds. If people took the time to apply it correctly then it looks great.

Personally, I don't wear fake tan cuz I couldn't be bothered putting it on. I have had 2/3 spray tans in the past few years though.
    I much prefer to have a tan and look way better when I do. However, I only get a tan when I go to a hot country cuz my laziness forbids me to have one year-round. :D

But I am moving to California so soon I'll have that year-long glow without the need for a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I seen this on the news too and it doesn't surprise me one bit. A lot of Irish girls look so fake these days. Not all though.
    Fake tan is acceptable if it's applied properly and with the right shade, but generally only if the skin tone isn't too white beforehand, otherwise it just look ridiculous because you can clearly tell that the person is wearing it.
    And most people wear a much too dark shade for their skin tones. I actually can't understand how they don't think it look silly.
    Personally, I think people should be happy with the skin colour they have, no matter how pale it is. I'm extremely white, probably nearly see through, ha, and I would never wear fake tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Not surprised, it's a peculiarly Irish thing though. I definitely look better with it, nobody can convince me otherwise. I do steer well away from the tango orange glow though and most people don't know I'm wearing it.

I think a lot of it is simply due to the fact that we're so pale as a race and spend so much time watching American telly where everyone is bronzed and beautiful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I work with a girl who covers herself with fake tan. The orangey colour isn't that bad; the problem is that all of her clothes are covered in in. She constantly looks really grubby if she wears any colour other than black. I can't imagine how her mum lets her out in clothes that look so dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Fair play to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't wear any fake tan. I'm naturally so pale I'm almost translucent, I don't tan at all naturally (just burning and freckles), so fake tan would just make me look orange. Better just to dress to flatter the colour that I am than to try and look like something I'm not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement