Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish use more fake tan than any other people on planet

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think it's funny everyone assuming pale is the opposite of fake tan. Last year I was on holidays and went for a walk down the beach in a pair of shorts when I heard this cry from behind me of "oh my god, her legs are so white!" I turned to find a mahoganey coloured woman pointing a finger.

I'd had about 3 days of self-tanner on at this stage, to take the glare off my legs :cool::pac: It was darker than my normal skin tone but still white to her. Hey, if I'm the only one who notices I'm using it, that's fine by me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I also think there's a feeling that men prefer women who are slightly bronzed or tanned looking. Perhaps women feel that they have to be brown to be attractive?

I completely agree with you on this Ms Pika 100%! I don't use it at all. I got a spray tan for my debs cause my mum begged me to but I can't apply it, I don't think it looks nice and besides I tan easily anyway on holidays.

But I always think guys check tanned girls out more. I said at the start of this thread I'd love to see more guys opinions on this as I definately think I don't look half as good when out with my fake-tanned friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

*Angel* wrote: »

:eek: That photograph of the baby on the sun bed is sickening. It's just incredibly wrong, even if it's intended as a joke!
    You're right. It is false, that's why it's called false/fake tan...
    They wear make up - it's false but the majority of women in this country wear it at least sometimes... They wear push up bras. False. They wear flesh colour tights to make their legs look better. False. Teeth whitening. False. The list goes on.

I agree with what you're saying, but for some reason, I seem to think of fake tan as more false than the likes of wearing a push-up bra or wearing some make-up on your face.
    I think it's because fake tan (normally) is something applied to the whole body, which means it's altering your entire skin tone, the look of your skin as a whole.

I know this is probably *very* weird but when I think of fake tan, I get this very uncomfortable feeling ... I think of applying the lotion on my body ... it's sticky, it doesn't smell nice, my skin feels greasy, as it starts to dry in, it makes areas of my skin feel tight and uncomfortable ... It creeps me out!

I don't judge anyone who chooses to use fake tan, however, it's just not for me. I've tried it and it just doesn't look right or feel right, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

The thread should read "Irish Women Use More Fake Tan than any other people on the planet" not "Irish" as how many Irish men do you see using the stuff, possibly the men from Eastern Europe who like to use sun beds to have some tan before returning home for a few weeks in the summer.

Fake tan makes the Irish women look like oompa loompas, why bother using the stuff when ye can't apply it properly, ye think being your natural white colour is a bad thing, well it isn't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

C'mon we can't use more than those guys and gals in Jersey Shore?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

NoDice wrote: »
    I completely agree with you on this Ms Pika 100%! I don't use it at all. I got a spray tan for my debs cause my mum begged me to but I can't apply it, I don't think it looks nice and besides I tan easily anyway on holidays.

But I always think guys check tanned girls out more. I said at the start of this thread I'd love to see more guys opinions on this as I definately think I don't look half as good when out with my fake-tanned friends.

My bf defo prefers me pale, think fake tan is horrible, dunno about other guys but he's the one who's opinon I care about so im happy!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I'd love to hear more fella's opinions on tans. I don't like fake tan myself but another way I see it is when I'm out in town(not wearing any tan) it's always the girls that come in orange who turns every guys head.

They may be "turning their heads", but I believe it is not for the reason you seem to believe. Most blokes (myself included) I know, do not give a figs ar$e about fake tan. In fact most that notice it, only notice it on the girls that dont apply it properly. Otherwise, where it is applied well, us fellas dont even notice it!
    Yes each to their is quite correct, but I also believe a little is more! :)
    Good day ladies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

In my experience, most men hate fake tan. Yes, they may prefer a naturally tanned woman over a pale one, but they'd prefer a pale one over a fake tanned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Natural tan = damaged skin. Not good.

If any girls in Ireland are tanned in April there is very little chance it is natural. Unless they have just spent a week on holidays baking themselves - which is the dullest holiday I could imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

piby wrote: »
    C'mon we can't use more than those guys and gals in Jersey Shore?!!

Never seen the show but guess it's a typical american vanity based show with people who have more money than sense!

Anyway, think most Irish women use fake tan because of shows like these, fashion magazines and also to copy the other women. I don't think it's to impress the guys which is a shame after all the effort it takes to put on :)

Guys don't care for fake tan as it doesn't look natural and also kind of shows what mindset the girl is, too focused on their appearance while trying to hide their real personality which is a turn-off.

• Advertisement

I can only speak for my own husband obviously, but he gives out about me wearing tan, mostly because he has to help me apply it! And he would be the first to tell me if I was orange etc. But if you asked him, he would say he doesn't like fake tan, the truth is that he does! He thinks I look better with it, he is attracted to women who are tanned - not orange - obviously - but tanned!

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of me that are elsewhere on boards. I don't think I look tango'd but I guess I wouldn't ;)

one two
    three

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't care if a girl is pale, or if she's tanned.

what i care about is if she smells because of the tan or it comes off on my threads, i'd rather not have it rubbing off on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In fairness not all tan is orange, it's like everything, some women wear the right colour and some don't, the same goes for make up, some women can apply it well and some haven't a clue. But anyway what about it? Each to their own, maybe not everyone wants to be pale, I personally feel and look better with tan on, i wear it a weekends when going out and it looks slightly darker than when I get a real tan when on holidays but not a bit orange, If I felt I looked better pale then I wouldn't wear tan. Each to their own I say

+1 completely agree - if you have the right tan and it is applied correctly (ie. not slapped on!) then it can look great! I know i just feel better when i have a bit of colour on my arms etc.

It's the same with makeup as you said - if it's applied tastefully and blendedwell then it looks great.

But as you say each to their own.

I know exactly what the OP means about the oompa loompa look though - i avoid that myself!:D

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of me that are elsewhere on boards. I don't think I look tango'd but I guess I wouldn't ;)

one two
    three

Remembered this today. Either people don't want to admit they are wrong by saying my skin looks natural here, or everyone's too polite to tell me I look like an oompa loompa :pac:
    I guess I'll never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thats all well and good, but the irish complexion isn't pale and interesting. Its blotchy, pasty and freckly.

Speak for yourself. My skin has no blotches and only a small amount of freckles- which are not a crime to have.
    Whatever about it being badly applied (don't think I've ever seen it well applied tbh...), I just can't see why everyone is so ashamed of their natural complexion. I'm really proud of my porcelain skin (in fact I see it as part of my heritage) and get compliments on what beautiful skin I have whenever I'm abroad. Pale skin is fantastic imo. I wish other people would embrace it.

Yeah I know.
    If you said to a black person that their skin was too dark, you'd be called racist... but we tell each other we are too white...
    I am happy being white.
    Faith wrote: »
    In my experience, most men hate fake tan. Yes, they may prefer a naturally tanned woman over a pale one, but they'd prefer a pale one over a fake tanned one.

Yep, all the men I know hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 quagmired

main reason I hate going to irish weddings is the hideous display of tangerine tans. The women seem totally oblivious to it then they laugh at the poor eegits in my fat gypsy wedding on TV. Pot kettle girls. Men for the most part would prefer the nice pale natural skin to the hideous tan creations. You're doing it to impress other females and be part of the gang. Understandable, if impractical, social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

quagmired wrote: »
    main reason I hate going to irish weddings is the hideous display of tangerine tans. The women seem totally oblivious to it then they laugh at the poor eegits in my fat gypsy wedding on TV. Pot kettle girls. Men for the most part would prefer the nice pale natural skin to the hideous tan creations. You're doing it to impress other females and be part of the gang. Understandable, if impractical, social behaviour.

Do you speak for ALL men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 quagmired

yes, all men :-p

In fairness, its not an insult. Most irish ladies have lovely pale skin and nothing at all wrong with freckles. There's people from many countries in sunny climes who have tans but horrible worn leathery skin.

I'm suggesting its a strange social behaviour to take something that's already beautiful and make it all artificial!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Please do not bump old threads.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement