Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore 64

Options
  • 18-03-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have this computer when they were younger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yes, I did and I've still got it. Huge half meg ram and all the accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

branie wrote: »
    Anyone here have this computer when they were younger?

First computer when I was wee lad. It's probably what made me obsessed with technology. I still remember waiting anxiously for Wheeling Wally to load, only for it to fail and give up and use a cartridge instead. Some of those games were pretty weird, such as the one where you had to defend teeth against tooth decay.

We'll be seeing another commodore 64 fairly soon...
    http://gizmodo.com/5496112/the-return-of-the-commodore-64

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Yes indeed, Boulder Dash was a particular favourite, as was carefully typing (in BASIC) and debugging Jeff Minter games from various magazines at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

Bloody commodore kids,

Amstrad CPC 464 FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

i had one, used to love playing last ninja. turning and adjusting the screw used to do my head in at times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

thing on a spring had me hooked, whatever the hell it was about....

speccy for me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Had one too. My dad bought it with the intention of it being an educational tool but all we wanted to do was play games!:p

Games we had off the top of my head are;

Tooth Invaders
    Zaxxon
    Pole Position
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Wheeling Wally

Great days!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

yeh i had one as a kid loved it used to be mad for paperboy on it and some other monster truck game i had.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Loved my C64.

Especially the Dizzy games.

A great site for info on C64 games is http://www.lemon64.com/

Loved my C64.

Thanks so much for the link,i've been playing Wheelin' Wallie and Hunchback all night! Great stuff!:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Loved my C64.

Without that link I wouldn't have fully remembered the names of the 2 coolest games for the Commodore, Midnight Resistance & Silk Worm.

I worked my ass off for a whole summer and paid it off weekly. Longest summer ever.

There's also one for the Amiga for those of us who upgraded:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah Boulder Dash I remember that. And Jet Set Willy, Spy Hunter, Beach Head (I think) and another about a witch I think was called Elvira Rides Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Melodeon wrote: »
    Yes indeed, Boulder Dash was a particular favourite, as was carefully typing (in BASIC) and debugging Jeff Minter games from various magazines at the time.

Wasted months of my life playing Boulder Dash.

Trailblazer was a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Flimbo's Quest anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Yes. My first console. Probably still have it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

You lucky people. My first was the vic 20. Remember that eh? A year earlier than the 64. My watch had mor ram. Lol

http://oldcomputers.net/vic20.html:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Outrun Europa, brilliant !!!

remember doing this every week.?

http://www.64apocalypse.com/images/cvg/cvg32.htm

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Still have mine at home with the T2 box - I think something is broken though as I gave it to my nephew yrs back for a bit and then it stopped - I forget if it was the C64 itself or the tape loader.

still have about 20 games in perfect condition etc. might drag it out of the press the next time i visit home.

loved New Zealand story (only game I could do well at due the cheat of sticking a paper over the C64 and pressing all the keys together)

Nemesis was also a game I played a lot.

Any one remember GW Basic? (i think that's what it was called) hours typing out lines of code to get a fecking ball to bounce!

My C64 was the pack that came with the light gun.

C64CLF_Vga.JPG

It was a bit ****.

We had one of these:
    quickshot_ii.jpg

Think it's still up in my parents gaff.

pawrick wrote: »
    Any one remember GW Basic? (i think that's what it was called) hours typing out lines of code to get a fecking ball to bounce!

It still gives me nightmares. We thought we were at the cutting edge of computer technology inputting all the code!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

lord lucan wrote: »
    We had one of these:
    quickshot_ii.jpg

Think it's still up in my parents gaff.

Ah yes! I see it even has autofire lock-button at the base there. Nice. I think we had 2x of them but they were in all black with red triggers.

We got our C64 in Xmas 1985 and I remember being blown away by it like nothing else since (possibly my first time using the internet coming close).

There was a demotape on it that showed off the computers abilities (graphics , sounds, functions etc) and the one thing on it that I thought was great was this demo clip that I guess was meant to be played on a loop in retail stores.

That Christmas I would just watch this again and again in sheer amazement. Ah, simpler times!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Flimbo's Quest had such awesome music!
    Also loved:
    Midnight Resistance
    Turrican
    Dragonninja
    Operation Wolf
    Barbarian
    Haven't checked that link, but Jeff Minter was the Llamasoft guy, right? He was always in Commodore Format magazine, 'Llamas in space' and all those games. I bought that magazine religiously, with the free tape every month, you'd sometimes (very rarely) get a great game on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

My C64 was the pack that came with the light gun.

C64CLF_Vga.JPG

It was a bit ****.

Ha, I remember shooting pigeons or ducks with that yoke.

I was also hooked on pitstop, grand prix game. The tyres wolud change a lighter shade as they lost grip. You had to do a pitstop and change tyres one by one, great stuff.

pitstop2_c64.jpg

Was also a fan of Ghost 'n' Goblins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Advertisement