Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith: the evidence of things not seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

PDN wrote: »
    Er, I'm not criticising Sam. He's the one who has come into the Christianity forum in order to criticise.

I'm simply answering his question. And, since it doesn't provide the kind of answer he's looking for, I have no doubt that he will summarily reject it (as you have just done).

What I've said is that if you genuinely seek truth you will find it. It doesn't matter whether that truth is cold or comforting - so long as someone is genuinely interested in finding the truth.

The main problem with that reasoning is that every religion/cult/ideology/belief system ticks enough boxes to be able to convince many many people. If they didn't they wouldn't survive. I've heard a very good term for it, the embedded truth fallacy, where there is enough in there that speaks to people (love thy neighbour, eternal life, supernatural consequences for immoral acts) that they're able to ignore the bits that don't make a whole lot of sense (virgin births, walking on water, resurrections, a supposedly moral being killing millions of people). I'm sure that if I approached christianity "seeking truth" as you put it I would become a believer but I am of the firm opinion that the same would be true of scientology, Mormonism and the Jehovah's witnesses. I was even taken in for quite a while by the 9/11 truthers to my eternal shame. As far as I'm concerned the actual truth, especially truth that is supposed to come from the omnipotent creator of the universe, should be objectively convincing to even the hard hearted. I shouldn't have to approach the word of god in the same manner that would have me convinced of the 9/11 truthers in order to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Wicknight wrote: »
    If you are not consciously aware of it then you don't believe God, you share God's belief.

If God is the voice powering conscience and you consider your conscience to be a naturalistically arrived at phenomenon, then your not being consciously aware of Gods existance doesn't alter the fact that it's his voice your believing in the case you are guided by your conscience.
    To believe God you would have to believe God, you would have to be aware of God's opinion and agree with it.

You are aware of God's opinion (which is made known to you by God - we're supposing). You're just not aware it's God's opinion you're agreeing with.

I think you're getting hung up on a semantic technicality here. The interesting bit is all the actions and consequences that arise out of believing God and disbelieving him.

It is illogical to say that if I believe murder is wrong I believe God. I simply share the same opinion as God

Seeing as there would be (we are supposing) no other root source for the notion "murder is wrong" I see it as illogical to suppose you could be believing anyone/thing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If God is the voice powering conscience and you consider your conscience to be a naturalistically arrived at phenomenon, then your not being consciously aware of Gods existance doesn't alter the fact that it's his voice your believing in the case you are guided by your conscience.

Yes it does. If I do not consciously accept God's opinion then I'm not believing him, I'm merely reaching the same conclusion as him.

If I slipped an anonymous note into your locker with the formula for gravity and you read it and accepted it no one would say you believe me, because you have not consciously made a decision to accept as true what I said because you don't know I said it.

You accept the piece of paper but you have no idea it comes from me so you can't believe me.

I cannot believe God unless I consciously decide that what he has told me is true based on the knowledge that he himself told me it. And I can't decide that unless I know it came from him.

Otherwise, again, I'm just sharing the same opinion as him.
    You are aware of God's opinion (which is made known to you by God - we're supposing). You're just not aware it's God's opinion.

And thus I cannot believe God. I can only unconsciously share the same opinion as him.
    I think you're getting hung up on a semantic technicality here.
    It is necessary for your follow on arguments that you establish we all believe God when we share his morality, even if we don't actually believe he exists.

But that is not what is actually happening, and thus you cannot base follow on argument on that axiom because it doesn't actually hold.

So the semantics are actually pretty important as they invalidate the follow on arguments.
    Seeing as there would be (we are supposing) no other root source for the notion "murder is wrong" I see it as illogical to suppose you could be believing anyone/thing else

That doesn't make any sense. Who is the root source for the notions that murder is great?

If it is me then why can I not be the root source for the notion that murder is wrong?

You can say that I reach that conclusion based on a God given conscience, but you must also agree that once the conscience has been given by God it operates independently of God.

Otherwise a serial killer who thinks killing and raping woman is great must be working from God's play book, as it were.

So my conscience gives me an opinion in line with God's opinion, and the serial killer's conscience gives one not in line with God's opinion. But in both cases the conscience is the source of the opinion.

Now we're back to "I don't know so it must be god". Supposing that there could be no other root source for an opinion that murder is wrong presupposes that god exists, which we are not supposed to be presupposing. God is not necessarily the only source of that opinion, for example evolution, both genetic and social, provides a perfectly good explanation, and one that fits an awful lot better with the fact that not everyone seems to be of exactly the same opinion about when murder is wrong and when it's not. And even if we did presuppose that the only source of that opinion is a supernatural being, that being is not necessarily the one described in the bible

edit: that post encompasses numbers 1-4 from my list on the previous page

Yes it does. If I do not consciously accept God's opinion then I'm not believing him.

If I slipped an anonymous note into your locker with the formula for gravity and you read it and accepted it no one would say you believe me, because you have not consciously made a decision to accept as true what I said because you don't know I said it.

You believe the piece of paper but you have no idea it comes from me so you can't believe me.

I cannot believe God unless I consciously decide that what he has told me is true based on the knowledge that he himself told me it.

Otherwise, again, I'm just sharing the same opinion as him.

A voice speaks. That voice says/empowers the notion "murder is wrong". You believe that voice. That voice is God's voice. You believe God's voice.

I'm not sure what the difficulty is.

(It's worth noting that the state of belief you're in doesn't require you to do anything. God is the one powering your sense that murder is wrong - your state of belief arises out of his sustaining you in this position).

And thus I cannot believe God. I can only unconsciously share the same opinion as him.

Your opinion is powered by God. So it's not so much your opinion as his opinion sustained in you by him. Your only option is to do nothing in response to this (in which case you'll continue considering murder wrong). Or you can dispense with his sustaining this belief - in which case murder is possible for you to commit.

It is necessary for your follow on arguments that you establish we all believe God when we share his morality, even if we don't actually believe he exists.

There is no one else to believe - given that there is no other source for the 'morality' that God has - when we share it.

That doesn't make any sense. Who is the root source for the notions that murder is great?

Sin.

If it is me then why can I not be the root source for the notion that murder is wrong?

Your will (or sinful nature) is but a derivative of the root source of the notion that murder is ok. See it as your will being plugged into that source.

Sin on one side pulling you in one direction. God on the other pulling you in the other.

You can say that I reach that conclusion based on a God given conscience, but you must also agree that once the conscience has been given by God it operates independently of God.

Otherwise a serial killer who thinks killing and raping woman is great must be working from God's play book, as it were.

So my conscience gives me an opinion in line with God's opinion, and the serial killer's conscience gives one not in line with God's opinion. But in both cases the conscience is the source of the opinion.

The conscience can be considered a multiple-circuit electrical machine which requires a constant power source for it's operation. Consider the circuit dealing with murder and what happens if it's plugged out

Temporarily: the murder is committed and the person feels regret and guilt when it's plugged back in

Permanently: the murders are committed and the person feels no regret or guilt because it's never plugged back in.

The proper word to use here is 'suppression'. In your case, you haven't suppressed conscience on the issue of murder at all (we are hoping) whereas the impassioned wife-killer who languishes in prison full of regret has suppressed for a brief moment in time - but not permanently. He wasn't operating according to conscience for that brief period of time but is now, by virtue of guilt/shame/regret back within it's fold. Similarily, the serial-killer can be seen not to be operating according to a God-given conscience. Indeed, he's plugged (perhaps) permanently out in the department of conscience that deals with murder.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Now we're back to "I don't know so it must be god". Supposing that there could be no other root source for an opinion that murder is wrong presupposes that god exists, which we are not supposed to be presupposing.

You've a different posting-line to deal with than mine to Wicknight - one in which you questioned the fairness of God turning up to me and not you. That position, your position, supposes God to exist in order that that "unfair!!" objection be raised.

This..

God is not necessarily the only source of that opinion, for example evolution, both genetic and social, provides a perfectly good explanation, and one that fits an awful lot better with the fact that not everyone seems to be of exactly the same opinion about when murder is wrong and when it's not. And even if we did presuppose that the only source of that opinion is a supernatural being, that being is not necessarily the one described in the bible

..falls outside the remit of that discussion.

edit: that post encompasses numbers 1-4 from my list on the previous page

I'm not in agreement with PDN's view on things - regarding overwhelming evidence avaible for God generally available .. and the advice that if only you would seek that particular claimed truth you would find. And so I'm not really interested in your objections to his position. My own position is the one I'm interested in objection to - and that one already see's you assume God's existance for the purposes of discussion.

I'm heading out so won't get back until later this evening/tomorrow

Cheers.

A voice speaks. That voice says/empowers the notion "murder is wrong". You believe that voice. That voice is God's voice. You believe God's voice.

I'm not sure what the difficulty is.

But how am I believing the voice?

Believing means I assess what is being said and who is saying it and I trust that it is true based on who said it.

That is different from agreeing, where I make my own judgement and that judgement agrees with the voice

I think you are confusing the two concepts.

Take this example, a boy comes into hospital with pains in his leg.

A doctor looks at him and assess that he has a broken leg. Another doctor comes in and is told by the first doctor that he has a broken leg.

If the doctor accepts that diagnosis based on trust of the first doctor, then he is believing him when he says it.

If the doctor assesses the the boy and comes to the same conclusion he is agreeing with the first doctor. He is not believing him

I can't believe God because I don't trust God because I don't think God exists.

I can certainly agree with what you claim God's opinion is, but it is based on my own assessment and opinion. I can certainly agree with the little voice in my head, but again that is based on my own assessment.

At no point am I believing God. Your concepts are confused.

It may seem like semantics, but the point is that to believe God requires one to trust in his opinion and authority, which I don't because I don't believe he exists. This implicate trust is used in your following arguments and thus your follow on argument are invalid.
    Your opinion is powered by God. So it's not so much your opinion as his opinion sustained in you by him.

But that isn't true. I can (and often do) have an opinion different to my conscience. For example my conscience could tell me it is wrong to steal a chocolate from my flat mate but I decide to do it anyway.
    Sin.
    But "sin" isn't a thing, sin is going against God. So how do I go against God if my opinion isn't my own?

You see, I think if you think about it you would agree there is a difference between conscience and opinion, you can agree or disagree with your own conscience.

If you believe your conscience is God's voice, then sin would be you deciding not to agree with God's voice, and doing something different.

Getting back to the original point, my opinion either agrees or disagrees with my conscience, and thus if you we assume my conscience is God I either agree or disagree with God.

At no point do I believe my conscience and since I don't think my conscience is God at no point do I believe God. I may, inadvertently, agree with him.

You've a different posting-line to deal with than mine to Wicknight - one in which you questioned the fairness of God turning up to me and not you. That position, your position, supposes God to exist in order that that "unfair!!" objection be raised.

This..

..falls outside the remit of that discussion.
    Firstly, the reason I think that god has shown up to you and not me is that he hasn't actually shown up to either of us. But anyway, the part about the fairness of god showing up to me and not you presupposes his existence but our other discussion does not. You say that the criterion for god revealing himself is that you believe him, eg I must believe that murder is wrong, which I do. Believing in god should not be necessary for god to reveal himself according to you. The leap from believing that murder is wrong to believing that the reason I think murder is wrong is that god implanted that knowledge in my brain requires believing in him. This goes back to number 1 on my list, circular arguments. And if the argument is that concluding that god is the source of this opinion is reasonable because I think there can't be any other source then we're back number 3, "I don't know so it must be god"

But anyway, the part about the fairness of god showing up to me and not you presupposes his existence...

Thank you..

.. but our other discussion does not. You say that the criterion for god revealing himself is that you believe him, eg I must believe that murder is wrong, which I do.

The suggested criterion for God saving you - after which his revealing himself to you will occur - hinges indeed on your believing him (and not in him). Perhaps I didn't state clearly enough that saving belief isn't the same as general belief. General belief is that which probably all people (unwittingly perhaps) have regarding at least some of what God 'says'. Many unsaved people believe murder is wrong, many other unsaved people believe that you shouldn't steal. Many more consider lying something that shouldn't be done. All things that people believe. All things which God says don't do. Their believing him in some matters doesn't mean they are saved however. And if they are not then he won't reveal himself to them.

Here's what I said in regard to the place of this general belief in the mechanism of salvation - the machinations of general belief/unbelief hopefully leading to specific, saving belief:

Now actions arising out of your believing/disbelieving him bring consequences and forces to bear on you. Examples of this would be a clear conscience or a guilty one. Or sexual health or an STD (whether due to your disbelieving God or your wifes disbelieving God - no smear intended). These forces are multifold: physical/emotional/psychological/spiritual and are utilised by God in his attempt to bring you to belief about an overall issue he has in mind regarding you - namely, that there is something seriously amiss with you, something you can't evade and something you can't fix yourself.

The point of the murder example were merely to point out that a person can believe things that God says without believing in God. Assuming that point established, it should be plain that a person can be brought to the specific belief which results in their salvation - without believing in God's existance (which is good news indeed - you can be an atheist all the up to the very moment you are saved!!)

Believing in god should not be necessary for god to reveal himself according to you.

Q.E.D.

The leap from believing that murder is wrong to believing that the reason I think murder is wrong is that god implanted that knowledge in my brain requires believing in him.

True. But the knowledge that God is actually the one who implanted this belief in your head occurs post-salvation. After God turns up - resulting in a rational basis for supposing God is the one who implanted this knowledge in your head.

So we're back to the situation of not having to believe in God in order to be saved.

This goes back to number 1 on my list, circular arguments. And if the argument is that concluding that god is the source of this opinion is reasonable because I think there can't be any other source then we're back number 3, "I don't know so it must be god"

Hopefully it will be clear that these counters don't apply to the argument presented.

But how am I believing the voice?

Believing means I assess what is being said and who is saying it and I trust that it is true based on who said it.

And from which toolbox do you suppose to be able to extract the equipment necessary to arrive at the conclusion that murder is wrong (so as to "agree" with God). If not God's toolbox - I mean? There's little point in pointing to the influence of your parent's (whose consciences told them .. and they told you). Nor can you point to societies view ("society" being made up of individuals who've all had a conscience installed in them).

From whence your objection to murder anyway? Perhaps you consider life too precious to be taken? Where did you get that notion? Perhaps you consider it an act of selfishness to take anothers life and consider the pain caused to costly a price? From whence that notion? Perhaps you see the decay that would result in society were it so that everyone thought murder was okay? Don't you suppose God had the prevention of society sliding immediately into oblivion in mind when he installed conscience?

If the doctor accepts that diagnosis based on trust of the first doctor, then he is believing him when he says it.

If the doctor assesses the the boy and comes to the same conclusion he is agreeing with the first doctor. He is not believing him

You've nothing but bootstraps to pull your agreement up with - since all core strands of your anti-murder argument will find their source back at God. He's the one who wove your view - you didn't do a thing.

God designed you to be attracted to that which is his will. And in many ways you will be attracted: to honesty, decency, love, selflessness, humility. The fact that you've fallen from that perfection doesn't mean all vestiges of the design have disappeared.

The question facing you only is: which will you set your heart on? To be drawn more and more towards the 'light' (drawn by God I should add - you don't have to do a thing to be drawn) or to pull away from the light into a greater love of 'darkness'. Thankfully, God utilises our moves towards darkness in the mechanism of salvation so it's not that any love of darkness you have currently should be taken as meaning you'll be finally damned.

It's your final answer that determines your final destination. Not the answers you give on the way there.

I can't believe God because I don't trust God because I don't think God exists.

A Voice speaks. When it speaks to many, the resulting mass-conscience brings about a norm. And this norm will inevitably expand on it's view "murder is wrong" by weaving together argument based on other things revealed by God through conscience (his hatred of pride, selfishness, greed, etc - the motive for murder ofttimes).

This expanded, derivative view doesn't detract from the Voice which generated that societal view in the first place. Nor do societal blips whether major or minor (I'm thinking National Socialism and it's influence on a population)

I can certainly agree with what you claim God's opinion is, but it is based on my own assessment and opinion. I can certainly agree with the little voice in my head, but again that is based on my own assessment.

At no point am I believing God. Your concepts are confused.

As pointed out, when you agree with the voice in your head your supposedly independent assessement is being driven either by the voice in your head or the voices in other peoples head. There is no other source to supply motive power to the notion that murder is wrong.

This is where it gets interesting. For it would appear to be the case that, in order to be in agreement with God about x, your own will need do nothing. It need not act in order to be in agreement, in other words. Instead, God place's you in a frame of mind about something (eg: "murder is wrong") using the various elements that go to make up the notion (it's selfish/ugly/unfair/detrimental to society). And in order to remain in that frame of mind rega, your will has to do precisely ...

..nothing. You don't have to do something to remain precisely where you happen to be, do you? We know that objects at rest remain at rest unless acted upon by a force.

On the other hand, in order to murder and feel entitled in doing so you have to suppress this force ("murder is wrong") exerted by God on you. Which takes an act of will on your part. Thus;

No act of will required to remain in God's will regarding x
    An act of will required to escape God's will regarding x

No credit to you for doing good
    Justifiable penalty due to you for doing evil.

It may seem like semantics, but the point is that to believe God requires one to trust in his opinion and authority, which I don't because I don't believe he exists. This implicate trust is used in your following arguments and thus your follow on argument are invalid.

Hopefully you'll be dissuaded from that view by the argument which says that all the tools you apply in the matter "murder is wrong" are supplied to you by God.

:)

That that isn't true. I can (and often do) have an opinion different to my conscience. For example my conscience could tell me it is wrong to steal a chocolate from my flat mate but I decide to do it anyway.

I didn't mean all opinions. I meant that the one's which aligned with Gods will. As argued in this post

But "sin" isn't a thing, sin is going against God. So how do I go against God if my opinion isn't my own?

There's 'sin' which is as you say - an act of will contra-God. And 'Sin' which is considered to be an influence which stimulates our nature into 'sin'. Like an act of love vs. Love the stimulant unto acts of love.

As explained, your contra-God opinions are your own. Influenced by sin, yes, but expressions of your own will ultimately.

Getting back to the original point, my opinion either agrees or disagrees with my conscience, and thus if you we assume my conscience is God I either agree or disagree with God.

At no point do I believe my conscience and since I don't think my conscience is God at no point do I believe God. I may, inadvertently, agree with him.

This has been dealt with above.

• Advertisement

Thank you..

The suggested criterion for God saving you - after which his revealing himself to you will occur - hinges indeed on your believing him (and not in him). Perhaps I didn't state clearly enough that saving belief isn't the same as general belief. General belief is that which probably all people (unwittingly perhaps) have regarding at least some of what God 'says'. Many unsaved people believe murder is wrong, many other unsaved people believe that you shouldn't steal. Many more consider lying something that shouldn't be done. All things that people believe. All things which God says don't do. Their believing him in some matters doesn't mean they are saved however. And if they are not then he won't reveal himself to them.

Here's what I said in regard to the place of this general belief in the mechanism of salvation - the machinations of general belief/unbelief hopefully leading to specific, saving belief:

The point of the murder example were merely to point out that a person can believe things that God says without believing in God. Assuming that point established, it should be plain that a person can be brought to the specific belief which results in their salvation - without believing in God's existance (which is good news indeed - you can be an atheist all the up to the very moment you are saved!!)
    I'm afraid it's not plain at all. Could you lay out exactly what is required for god to reveal himself in terms of believing him? From what I can see you've gone from saying you do nothing to saying you have to believe him (ie share his opinion of right and wrong) to saying that even believing him is not enough because many unsaved people people believe him. I'm not quite sure what the criteria are

[d.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid it's not plain at all. Could you lay out exactly what is required for god to reveal himself in terms of believing him? From what I can see you've gone from saying you do nothing to saying you have to believe him (ie share his opinion of right and wrong) to saying that even believing him is not enough because many unsaved people people believe him. I'm not quite sure what the criteria are

The illustration of your sharing his view on murder (or any other right/wrong) is only intended to illustrate that a person can believe what God 'says' without believing in God. This doesn't mean they are saved - it just means they believe God on this single issue of murder (and we won't have to look far to find examples of things they don't believe him on: sex before marriage being my own personal favorite when I was lost). Once you accept that general principle (believing God without believing in God) you can accept that the same can apply to the specific belief regarding salvation: a person can believe God on that specific, salvific issue - whilst not believing in God. And so they can be saved before they ever believe in God.

That is the overall suggestion. That is the position I'm arguing from: saved by faith (belief) alright - but not belief in God.

Now, before going on to outline the specific issue a person needs to believe God on - in order to be saved - can I confirm that you're clear on this much, this far. And are in agreement with the possibility of the principle I'm outlining (assuming God exists, of course).

Lest there be confusion still: the requirement for God revealing himself is that you be saved. So the issue under consideration moves back to that point: how is it that you are saved.

And from which toolbox do you suppose to be able to extract the equipment necessary to arrive at the conclusion that murder is wrong (so as to "agree" with God). If not God's toolbox - I mean?

I don't understand what you mean by "toolbox"

Are you suggesting we don't have free will, that our actions are determined either by God (if they are good) or sin (if they are evil)?

Anyway, the point still remains. If I do not know what the voice in my head telling me that murder is wrong is coming from I cannot believe the voice, because believing someone is an act of trust based on your assessment of them, and if I don't know it is God then I cannot consciously trust him.
    You've nothing but bootstraps to pull your agreement up with - since all core strands of your anti-murder argument will find their source back at God. He's the one who wove your view - you didn't do a thing.

Well hold on. A minute ago you were saying I believe him? What is my "toolbox" when I'm doing that?

Either I make a decision or I don't.

If I don't then it doesn't matter if we are discussing believing someone or simply agreeing with them, neither matters because I'm doing neither.

If I can actually make a decision, if I do have free will, then it is perfectly possible for me to agree with him as it is for me to believe him. Both are decisions I make based on my own assessment.
    A Voice speaks. When it speaks to many, the resulting mass-conscience brings about a norm. And this norm will inevitably expand on it's view "murder is wrong" by weaving together argument based on other things revealed by God through conscience (his hatred of pride, selfishness, greed, etc - the motive for murder ofttimes).

This expanded, derivative view doesn't detract from the Voice which generated that societal view in the first place. Nor do societal blips whether major or minor (I'm thinking National Socialism and it's influence on a population)

None of that is relevant to my point. You initially required that we both work under the assumption that it is God who sets consciousness and you now you are spending a large part of the post trying to convince me this is the case. All of the above is some what irrelevant to the point at hand.

The issue at hand is does a non-believer believe God when he speaks to them through their consciousness.

The only logical conclusion, and one you have not done a particularly good job demonstrating otherwise, is that they cannot believe something they don't think exists, because to believe someone is to trust them, and you can't trust something you don't think is real.
    As pointed out, when you agree with the voice in your head your supposedly independent assessement is being driven either by the voice in your head or the voices in other peoples head. There is no other source to supply motive power to the notion that murder is wrong.

Again that is not relevant (though you are getting into some what murky suggestion that we don't actually have free will)

The only issue is can I believe someone I don't think exists. Logically, by definition, I can't.
    You don't have to do something to remain precisely where you happen to be, do you? We know that objects at rest remain at rest unless acted upon by a force.

On the other hand, in order to murder and feel entitled in doing so you have to suppress this force ("murder is wrong") exerted by God on you. Which takes an act of will on your part. Thus;

No act of will required to remain in God's will regarding x
    An act of will required to escape God's will regarding x

Again, I'm not following the relevance of this, but since you brought it up there are plenty of things my consciousness tells me that conflict with the Christian notion of God.

The Christian idea for example that God can kill his creations if he so wishes, even going so far as to inflict terrible pain and suffering on them, because he created them, goes against my basic moral conscience that beings have rights and protections not because of who made them but because of what they are. The idea that God created you thus becomes irrelevant to whether or not it is moral to inflict pain on you.

So to be a Christian I would have to consciously go against my conscience, it would require me to do something, to ignore my gut feelings.

I'm sure if I was a Christian I could rationalize this away with some higher theological reasoning about God knows best or suffering is actually good for you, but that again would require me to do something.

Tying in with the other thread, this is a reason I think a lot of non-believers are some what nervous or even offended by Christian beliefs, the idea that you guys either have tried to rationalise this moral issue away with some loop hole theology, or more worrying, you don't have this little moral voice in you saying that this is wrong to begin with and thus don't value life in the same way as the rest of us.

But that is again moving slightly away from the original point, that I cannot believe (and thus trust) in a being I don't believe exists.
    Hopefully you'll be dissuaded from that view by the argument which says that all the tools you apply in the matter "murder is wrong" are supplied to you by God.

Not really since that doesn't explain why it is a belief, how I can believe in God when I don't believe he exists.

I don't understand what you mean by "toolbox"

Are you suggesting we don't have free will, that our actions are determined either by God (if they are good) or sin (if they are evil)?

Indeed I'm suggesting we don't have freewill. One way to visualise things is to suppose ourselves hanging from a thread. It doesn't take our will to remain suspended there, it takes the strength of the thread. The only wilful action we can take to alter the situation is to cut the thread.

We do good because God exerts influence on us to doing good (via conscience). His exertion is that thread suspending us in the realm of good. So long as the thread isn't cut we'll remain there under that influence and good will be done.

Sin is that which exerts temptation. It tells us "cut the thread, it'll feel great"

Our will can either do nothing. Which is no act of will at all. Or it can do something. The only thing it can do is cut the thread. Good powered by Gods will. Evil powered by our will (with an assist from Sin)

Oops - is that the time. Later Wicknight!

Indeed I'm suggesting we don't have freewill. One way to visualise things is to suppose ourselves hanging from a thread. It doesn't take our will to remain suspended there, it takes the strength of the thread. The only wilful action we can take to alter the situation is to cut the thread.

But isn't cutting the thread an act of free will?
    We do good because God exerts influence on us to doing good (via conscience). His exertion is that thread suspending us in the realm of good. So long as the thread isn't cut we'll remain there under that influence and good will be done.

Sin is that which exerts temptation. It tells us "cut the thread, it'll feel great"

What is happening when our conscience is telling us something contrary to God? Such as the examples above?

For example, if I was living in Hebrew time and I saw two homosexuals being punished by stoning my conscience, just as now, would be screaming "THIS IS WRONG"

To be a good God fearing Jew I would have to actively go against what my conscience is telling me (which in this case means it can't be God)

So is it "sin" in my conscience that tells me stoning homosexuals is wrong?

In which case I have to rebel against my conscience to get to a place where I accept God and thus accept stoning homosexuals is moral

The illustration of your sharing his view on murder (or any other right/wrong) is only intended to illustrate that a person can believe what God 'says' without believing in God. This doesn't mean they are saved - it just means they believe God on this single issue of murder (and we won't have to look far to find examples of things they don't believe him on: sex before marriage being my own personal favorite when I was lost). Once you accept that general principle (believing God without believing in God) you can accept that the same can apply to the specific belief regarding salvation: a person can believe God on that specific, salvific issue - whilst not believing in God. And so they can be saved before they ever believe in God.

That is the overall suggestion. That is the position I'm arguing from: saved by faith (belief) alright - but not belief in God.

Now, before going on to outline the specific issue a person needs to believe God on - in order to be saved - can I confirm that you're clear on this much, this far. And are in agreement with the possibility of the principle I'm outlining (assuming God exists, of course).

Lest there be confusion still: the requirement for God revealing himself is that you be saved. So the issue under consideration moves back to that point: how is it that you are saved.
    Just to be clear, are you saying that the criteria for salvation by faith is believing in salvation by faith, and you are saying that it is possible to do this without believing in god, and to illustrate this you gave the example of people believing that murder is wrong without believing in god?
    I'm afraid that doesn't work antiskeptic because the concept of salvation by faith is completely dependent on the existence of a god. Without a god there is no one to save you so you cannot possibly believe in salvation by faith without first believing that there is a god there to save you. Again we have circular reasoning.

Murder on the other hand exists independently of a god. I have a desire to avoid myself, my loved ones and my community being murdered. There are millions of very good reasons to think that murder is wrong that go well beyond "because god says so" and even further again beyond "because an old book claiming to be the word of god says so". So your analogy fails I'm afraid. I can no more believe in salvation by faith without believing in god than I can believe in cheese burgers without believing in cheese

Assuming I haven't misunderstood you.....?

But isn't cutting the thread an act of free will?

Effectively yes but technically (in an important area to do with salvation being by God and not man, no)

The normal understanding of the term "freewill" suggests that a persons will is positioned in a balanced/neutral/middle position, with equally balanced external influences/attractions placed on both sides of middle. The person then chooses which way to go. It is the will which moves the person to the left or to the right. And the will which is responsible for ending in either of the destinations.

In this other case, cutting the thread is a move in one direction. But not cutting the thread isn't a move which involves the will. If the will does nothing at all then the thread will remain uncut and the person remains where they are suspended.

The persons will is responsible for the direction achieved by cutting the thread. The strength of the thread is responsible for maintaining the person where they are.

What is happening when our conscience is telling us something contrary to God? Such as the examples above?

For example, if I was living in Hebrew time and I saw two homosexuals being punished by stoning my conscience, just as now, would be screaming "THIS IS WRONG"

This is not necessarily so. It would depend on whether or not God's requirment w.r.t. you involved your maintaining of his purpose and plan for the Israelites as bearers of his Messiah (which involved maintaining a certain real/ceremonial purity). Or whether his plan released you from that duty and was focused on your salvation.

Not all killing is murder. And it is God, remember, who convicts the conscience.

So is it "sin" in my conscience that tells me stoning homosexuals is wrong?

"Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone". It was the sin-seared consciences of those addressed by Jesus which caused them to melt away.

In your case, it might be a denial of sin which has you consider as you do. "No one sins - therefore no one, not homosexuals, not anybody, deserves stoning" Or it might be that you relativise and consider stoning suitable punishment for certain abominable (to you) crimes.

Most likely is that "thou (who has no right to) shalt not kill" is writ large in your conscience and constrains you. Seeing other men kill, knowing they ought to be equally constrained, causes an outcry and disturbance to that God given sense of yours.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the criteria for salvation by faith is believing in salvation by faith

No. I'm saying that the criterion for salvation by faith is believing God (not in God) on a specific issue. That specific issue isn't the same issue as general cases where people believe God (such as beleving that murder is wrong, whilst not believing in God)
    , and you are saying that it is possible to do this without believing in god, and to illustrate this you gave the example of people believing that murder is wrong without believing in god?

Exactly. It is possible to believe God on the specific saving issue (without believing in him) just as it is possible to believe him in the general issues (without believing in him)

I'm afraid that doesn't work antiskeptic because the concept of salvation by faith is completely dependent on the existence of a god. Without a god there is no one to save you so you cannot possibly believe in salvation by faith without first believing that there is a god there to save you. Again we have circular reasoning.

The misunderstanding is brought out up top I think. You don't have to believe in "salvation by faith". You have to believe God on the specific issue which satisfies his criterion for saving you.

Assuming I haven't misunderstood you.....?

I think you're confusing the title given to the mechanism by which man is saved with the belief/faith a man needs to have in order that he be saved by that mechanism. Put it this way; suppose the specific issue you need to believe in order to be saved is x

Sam believes/has faith that x is the case - but Sam doesn't believe in God
    Sam believing/having faith that x is the case means he has satisfied Gods criterion for saving Sam
    God saves Sam
    Sam has been saved by faith (that x is the case)
    Sam now saved has God demonstrate his existance to Sam in no uncertain terms
    Sam now believes in Gods existance.

Effectively yes but technically (in an important area to do with salvation being by God and not man, no)

The normal understanding of the term "freewill" suggests that a persons will is positioned in a balanced/neutral/middle position, with equally balanced external influences/attractions placed on both sides of middle. The person then chooses which way to go. It is the will which moves the person to the left or to the right. And the will which is responsible for ending in either of the destinations.

In this other case, cutting the thread is a move in one direction. But not cutting the thread isn't a move which involves the will. If the will does nothing at all then the thread will remain uncut and the person remains where they are suspended.

The persons will is responsible for the direction achieved by cutting the thread. The strength of the thread is responsible for maintaining the person where they are.

Ok ... but none of that means there isn't free will. I either cut the thread or I don't, that is a choice.

I either agree with the voice in my head saying don't bash that old lady to death for her hand bag or I don't.

Getting back to the original point, I'm still not believing the voice in my head. I'm merely agreeing with it or not.
    This is not necessarily so.
    I'm pretty sure it would be.
    It would depend on whether or not God's requirment w.r.t. you involved your maintaining of his purpose and plan for the Israelites as bearers of his Messiah (which involved maintaining a certain real/ceremonial purity). Or whether his plan released you from that duty and was focused on your salvation.
    I'm not quite following this.

Are you suggesting that if I lived back then my conscience would not think stoning homosexuals was wrong as it does now because God would have changed what my conscience was telling me?

That seems some what silly and is quite easily disputed by history given that there were plenty of people around back then who argued moral positions that would run contrary to God's position. The Greeks used to regularly stone people (because God was telling them through their conscience this was ok?) which provoked some Greek writers to argue against the practice on moral grounds.

If the time period is causing issue I could pick something that still is supposed to hold in modern times which my conscience says is wrong. Homosexuality is still considered morally wrong by modern Christians.

My conscience conflicts with this idea, and thus to be a Christian I would have to rebel against my conscience.

Which provides the question what is my "conscience" when it is providing guidance that is contrary to what the Bible claims is God's views on these matters?

Do I trust my conscience or do I trust the Bible?
    Not all killing is murder. And it is God, remember, who convicts the conscience.

But that is what I'm asking.

If my conscience is telling me this is wrong, and that view conflicts with God, then what is motivating my conscience to say this?

The idea that it would be sin seems a little implausible, since sin is supposed to be all about the selfish desires.

It is not particularly selfish to think stoning people to death is a bad idea, or that there is nothing wrong with a loving homosexual couple being a couple.
    In your case, it might be a denial of sin which has you consider as you do. "No one sins - therefore no one, not homosexuals, not anybody, deserves stoning" Or it might be that you relativise and consider stoning suitable punishment for certain abominable (to you) crimes.

But those are rationalities. I'm talking about my conscience.

The bit inside that would make you run over and stop a stoning without thinking rationally about what you are doing irrespective of any argument to justification

You are talking about the rationalities required to circumvent this.

I could rationally argue down my conscience, say that the Bible teaches us that sin exists, the Bible teaches us that God is just, the Bible teaches us that homosexual acts are an abomination, the Bible teaches us that stoning is an acceptable punishment for sin.

All these things could rationalise away my conscience telling me this is wrong, as I'm sure a lot of Christians and Jews do.

But the conscience is still screaming THIS IS WRONG, I'm simply choosing to ignore this based on a theological argument.

The scary thing of course for someone like me is people who don't have this conscience screaming at them at all.

But that isn't what my conscience says.

And, tying in some what with the other thread, if that is genuinely what some theists have in their conscience, that troubles people like myself.

Ok ... but none of that means there isn't free will. I either cut the thread or I don't, that is a choice.

Then you've missed the distinction. If the same result occurs with no act of will as with an supposed act of will then Ockhams Razor says....

Let's face it, a will suspended by a thread not choosing anything hangs just as well as a will suspended by a thread that decides not to cut the thread.

Getting back to the original point, I'm still not believing the voice in my head. I'm merely agreeing with it or not.

Which returns me to the toolbox. That you "agree with" suggests you have argument elsewhere sourced. And find that these arguments, elsewhere sourced, happen to align with the Voices argument. Agreement ensues. You (with your elsewhere sourced viewpoint - and the Voice.

But where did these other arguments come from? What is their source (if not ultimately, finitely regressively the Voices)?

I'm pretty sure it would be.

You can't even be close to being sure. You're not a Hebrew living then.

I'm not quite following this.

Are you suggesting that if I lived back then my conscience would not think stoning homosexuals was wrong as it does now because God would have changed what my conscience was telling me?

That seems some what silly and is quite easily disputed by history given that there were plenty of people around back then who argued moral positions that would run contrary to God's position. The Greeks used to regularly stone people (because God was telling them through their conscience this was ok?) which provoked some Greek writers to argue against the practice on moral grounds.

I have no reason to suppose that the Israelites who slew the Midianites were troubled by a guilty conscience - God afterall being the trigger pulling agent. Can you first tell me who the trigger pulling agent is in the case of these homosexuals being stoned. Because it would assist in determining which way your conscience will be leaning back then

If the time period is causing issue I could pick something that still is supposed to hold in modern times which my conscience says is wrong. Homosexuality is still considered morally wrong by modern Christians.

My conscience conflicts with this idea, and thus to be a Christian I would have to rebel against my conscience.

Which provides the question what is my "conscience" when it is providing guidance that is contrary to what the Bible claims is God's views on these matters?

Do I trust my conscience or do I trust the Bible?

Why not a cocktail? The underlying viewpoints of God mingled with your own sinful/ignorance-of-God-rationale-ignorant ways.

God favours no sinner over another. All men are born equal in his sight. SNAP!! You see so too.

God has constraints and limits on what acceptable sexual behaviour is. SNAP!! So do you. You just don't draw the line in the same place as him. Due to a mixture of sinfulness (you wouldn't perhaps want God to cramp your own style never mind the homosexual's) and ignorance as to God's rationale regarding the place of sex in the lives of humans.

But that is what I'm asking.

If my conscience is telling me this is wrong, and that view conflicts with God, then what is motivating my conscience to say this?

The idea that it would be sin seems a little implausible, since sin is supposed to be all about the selfish desires.

As I say: a mix (God interfering with anyones sexual freedom means he may well interfere with your freedom). Plus misguided "laissez-faire-ism" as a result of not understanding the place of sex in God's economy.

But those are rationalities. I'm talking about my conscience.

The bit inside that would make you run over and stop a stoning without thinking rationally about what you are doing irrespective of any argument to justification

You are talking about the rationalities required to circumvent this.

I could rationally argue down my conscience, say that the Bible teaches us that sin exists, the Bible teaches us that God is just, the Bible teaches us that homosexual acts are an abomination, the Bible teaches us that stoning is an acceptable punishment for sin.

All these things could rationalise away my conscience telling me this is wrong, as I'm sure a lot of Christians and Jews do.

But the conscience is still screaming THIS IS WRONG, I'm simply choosing to ignore this based on a theological argument.

The scary thing of course for someone like me is people who don't have this conscience screaming at them at all.

But that isn't what my conscience says.

And, tying in some what with the other thread, if that is genuinely what some theists have in their conscience, that troubles people like myself.

The overall trouble here in conflation between two themes.

The one theme; where man acts under Gods instruction for a specific time and purpose (namely, the Israelite people as a chosen people for a chosen purpose: a physical "womb"/barrier against sinfulness through which the Messiah would be "delivered" into the world. Consider how specifically this is followed through on in the virgin birth.

And the other one (operating at all times then and now) in which God deals with man directly in His enquiring into a mans heart regarding the things/attributes/nature of God. To find out whether a man loves what God represents or whether he hates what God represents.

Whilst you might be confused about the themes operable - supposing the wrath of God against sinfulness to be all that God stands for, God is not confused about where your heart lies. If your heart is in the right place (even if that means shaking your fist at a straw-god) then God sees that.

• Advertisement

No. I'm saying that the criterion for salvation by faith is believing God (not in God) on a specific issue. That specific issue isn't the same issue as general cases where people believe God (such as beleving that murder is wrong, whilst not believing in God)

Exactly. It is possible to believe God on the specific saving issue (without believing in him) just as it is possible to believe him in the general issues (without believing in him)

The misunderstanding is brought out up top I think. You don't have to believe in "salvation by faith". You have to believe God on the specific issue which satisfies his criterion for saving you.

I think you're confusing the title given to the mechanism by which man is saved with the belief/faith a man needs to have in order that he be saved by that mechanism. Put it this way; suppose the specific issue you need to believe in order to be saved is x

Sam believes/has faith that x is the case - but Sam doesn't believe in God
    Sam believing/having faith that x is the case means he has satisfied Gods criterion for saving Sam
    God saves Sam
    Sam has been saved by faith (that x is the case)
    Sam now saved has God demonstrate his existance to Sam in no uncertain terms
    Sam now believes in Gods existance.

The question I am asking you is: What is this X that I must believe before god will decide that I am worthy of salvation and demonstrate his existence to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The question I am asking you is: What is this X that I must believe before god will decide that I am worthy of salvation and demonstrate his existence to me?

If you're wanting God to deem you worthy of salvation then you're going to have a very long wait indeed.

PDN wrote: »
    If you're wanting God to deem you worthy of salvation then you're going to have a very long wait indeed.

good man, constructive and pleasant as always.

Then you've missed the distinction. If the same result occurs with no act of will as with an supposed act of will then Ockhams Razor says....

Let's face it, a will suspended by a thread not choosing anything hangs just as well as a will suspended by a thread that decides not to cut the thread.

But now you are switching to discussing out comes. The choice is still there, the free will. It will simply result in the same out come as if I did nothing.

Think of it this way, I'm on a speeding train and I think Will I jump off or not. That is a choice. I decide not to jump of and the train crashes and I'm thrown into a tree

Now if I was unconscious I would have done nothing and the train would have crashed and I would have ended up in the tree.

Same out come. But I don't think anyone would say that in the first instance I didn't have a choice.

Which returns me to the toolbox. That you "agree with" suggests you have argument elsewhere sourced. And find that these arguments, elsewhere sourced, happen to align with the Voices argument. Agreement ensues. You (with your elsewhere sourced viewpoint - and the Voice.

But where did these other arguments come from? What is their source (if not ultimately, finitely regressively the Voices)?

Me obviously.

Otherwise I'm just a puppet. What you seem to be suggesting is that if I choose God I'm actually being controlled by God and if I choose evil I'm being controlled by sin or Satan or what ever.

In which case free will evaporates. We are all just puppets controlled by different strings.

It makes the whole concept of punishment pointless. Why does God punish me for sinning when I don't choose to (since my "toolbox" comes from Satan) or reward me for not sinning when I don't choose to either.

See, that doesn't work even by Christian standards.
    You can't even be close to being sure. You're not a Hebrew living then.
    Doesn't that hold for you as well?

What I can be sure that there were people back then, before Jesus and the New Covenent, who viewed stoning as immoral.

I've no reason, and nor have you presented on theologically or otherwise, to believe that I wouldn't be the same back then as I am now.

I've no issue with the Israelites seeing no trouble with killing or stoning, but the Israelites don't seem particularly moral people in my view.
    Why not a cocktail? The underlying viewpoints of God mingled with your own sinful/ignorance-of-God-rationale-ignorant ways.

It seems odd though that my sinful conscience would be telling me to stop suffering in contrast to God ordering suffering?
    God has constraints and limits on what acceptable sexual behaviour is. SNAP!! So do you. You just don't draw the line in the same place as him.

Nor do I punish those who cross this line as he does.

Again it seems out that sin would cause more forgiveness and understand, rather than less forgiveness and understand.

What purpose does that server? Satan wants us all to be nicer to each other?
    Due to a mixture of sinfulness (you wouldn't perhaps want God to cramp your own style never mind the homosexual's)
    I wish :p I know Catholic priests who have more sex than me.

It is interesting though that homosexuality can't be discussed really with you guys without it becoming a subconscious analogy for promiscuity.

Sort of shows where your head is at.
    and ignorance as to God's rationale regarding the place of sex in the lives of humans.

Again rationale doesn't come into it though, we are talking about our conscience.

I can rationalize away my conscience with logic such as God knows better.

But that doesn't explain why my conscience is saying what it is saying in the first place.

Nor does sin really explain that either. Why would sin want me not to stone to death a homosexual?
    As I say: a mix (God interfering with anyones sexual freedom means he may well interfere with your freedom). Plus misguided "laissez-faire-ism" as a result of not understanding the place of sex in God's economy.
    Whilst you might be confused about the themes operable - supposing the wrath of God against sinfulness to be all that God stands for, God is not confused about where your heart lies. If your heart is in the right place (even if that means shaking your fist at a straw-god) then God sees that.

That seems some what of a cop out

How are you defining "right place"

As PDN says, he won't conclude your worthy of salvation, he'll conclude his efforts were sufficient to haul you into the position of fulfilling his criterion for saving you.

Before we begin on x there's a few things we need to bear in mind (for the purposes of discussion)

1) God exists and is the ultimate objective reality

2) Sin exists, is objectively rotten smelling whether we agree it smells rotten (as we might with murder/rape) or not (eg: sex outside wedlock)

3) You're a sinner - which means there is a objective smell of sin eminating from your. Objectively - despite your subjective notion that you smell fine (or fine enough).

4) The details that go to make up X will vary according to the individual case and it is not possible to give a single detailed example that fits the individual circumstances of all people. What follows is the general case which can be moulded to suit each individuals case.

The criterion that a man must fulfill in order that God applies salvation to him is made up of three componants:

a) a man must be convinced/believe intensely that he is a sinner

b) he must also be convinced/believe intensely that he falls short of righteousness

c) and he must be convinced/believe intensely that righteousness is precious, essential to his very existance.

Expanding a)
    A man convinced that he is a sinner doesn't need to believe that God/sin exists. Rather, the conviction of sin will involve exposure to the objective fact of a mans rotten 'smell' - something which has hitherto been prevented by the mans masking of his smell (using self-justification/denial of objective truths/etc). The fact that the man now smells himself as he actually is what convinces him of his rotteness. It's a completely experiential thing. There is no need for him to attach the name "sin" to the smell in order to satisfy this particular piece of the criterion of salvation.

Expanding b)
    A man must also be convinced that this state he is in isn't the way it is supposed to be. A pig rooting in **** operates in it's natural environment and shouldn't consider anything up with his smelling the way he does. A man rooting in sin's **** is a different case. At the same time as he is waking up to the stench of his actions/thoughts/motivations he need be waking up to the fact that this state is an abominable state to be in. It is not right(eous).

Expanding c)
    Finally, panic should be setting in. The man is realising the stench which he gives off (even if the world; his friends & family can't see his ugly heart) can't be got rid of by him. He'll very likely have tried his best to escape the pit he is in. He will no doubt have tried to stop doing whatever it is he is doing that contributes to the smell so. And no doubt will have failed again ..and again. Indeed, he may, like me, have had some earlier success only to find himself years later sliding back into the same old pits. The most precious thing in this mans sight is to be clean, to escape his own self. To be free of the pollution that stalks his mind no matter how hard he tries to suppress it and rid himself of it.

When he is at his very wits end. When there is no stone that has been left unturned in the attempt to escape. When there is absolutely no people/medicines/self-help books/therapists/distractions/pit left to escape into, when there is no shope left, this man is faced with but two logical options. He can commit suicide* to find release. Or he can turn to an unbelieved in God - the only other logical possibility possible who can deal with this mans situation - and ask for help. Desperation has reached such levels that there is nothing left preventing the man asking such a God. This man is past being hindered by godless philosophies - for godless philosophies cannot help him.

God, having engineered this situation is, of course, awaiting this very point in time. Indeed, he has longed for this day himself. He will of course respond to the request which has been squeezed out of this man - by God. For the mans request is the summation of his believing all of the above. It is his signature on a 'document' entitled.

"I believe God (but not in God)"

On a technical/legal front, his believing God and subsequent request form a formal surrender of the mans independent-of-God life. For man was designed with the intention that he live in dependent relationship with his Creator - the relationship intended being modelled on Father & Child.

This is the only criterion God has of man in order that man be saved: a man surrendering his rebellion. All of which is understandable: a sovereign God cannot permit independent sinful rebels to run riot in his holy realm. Not for all eternity.

As PDN says, he won't conclude your worthy of salvation, he'll conclude his efforts were sufficient to haul you into the position of fulfilling his criterion for saving you.

Before we begin on x there's a few things we need to bear in mind (for the purposes of discussion)

1) God exists and is the ultimate objective reality

2) Sin exists, is objectively rotten smelling whether we agree it smells rotten (as we might with murder/rape) or not (eg: sex outside wedlock)

3) You're a sinner - which means there is a objective smell of sin eminating from your. Objectively - despite your subjective notion that you smell fine (or fine enough).

4) The details that go to make up X will vary according to the individual case and it is not possible to give a single detailed example that fits the individual circumstances of all people. What follows is the general case which can be moulded to suit each individuals case.

The criterion that a man must fulfill in order that God applies salvation to him is made up of three componants:

a) a man must be convinced/believe intensely that he is a sinner

b) he must also be convinced/believe intensely that he falls short of righteousness

c) and he must be convinced/believe intensely that righteousness is precious, essential to his very existance.

Expanding a)
    A man convinced that he is a sinner doesn't need to believe that God/sin exists. Rather, the conviction of sin will involve exposure to the objective fact of a mans rotten 'smell' - something which has hitherto been prevented by the mans masking of his smell (using self-justification/denial of objective truths/etc). The fact that the man now smells himself as he actually is what convinces him of his rotteness. It's a completely experiential thing. There is no need for him to attach the name "sin" to the smell in order to satisfy this particular piece of the criterion of salvation.
    I try to live my life as best I can but I know that I have hurt people in my life and that I will most likely do so again, just like every other human being. So I meet criterion A.
    Expanding b)
    A man must also be convinced that this state he is in isn't the way it is supposed to be. A pig rooting in **** operates in it's natural environment and shouldn't consider anything up with his smelling the way he does. A man rooting in sin's **** is a different case. At the same time as he is waking up to the stench of his actions/thoughts/motivations he need be waking up to the fact that this state is an abominable state to be in. It is not right(eous).
    You say that we are “supposed to be” a certain way. How can that be unless there is an intelligence who has defined a way that we are “supposed to be”?
    Expanding c)
    Finally, panic should be setting in. The man is realising the stench which he gives off (even if the world; his friends & family can't see his ugly heart) can't be got rid of by him. He'll very likely have tried his best to escape the pit he is in. He will no doubt have tried to stop doing whatever it is he is doing that contributes to the smell so. And no doubt will have failed again ..and again. Indeed, he may, like me, have had some earlier success only to find himself years later sliding back into the same old pits. The most precious thing in this mans sight is to be clean, to escape his own self. To be free of the pollution that stalks his mind no matter how hard he tries to suppress it and rid himself of it.

When he is at his very wits end. When there is no stone that has been left unturned in the attempt to escape. When there is absolutely no people/medicines/self-help books/therapists/distractions/pit left to escape into, when there is no shope left, this man is faced with but two logical options. He can commit suicide* to find release. Or he can turn to an unbelieved in God - the only other logical possibility possible who can deal with this mans situation - and ask for help. Desperation has reached such levels that there is nothing left preventing the man asking such a God. This man is past being hindered by godless philosophies - for godless philosophies cannot help him.

God, having engineered this situation is, of course, awaiting this very point in time. Indeed, he has longed for this day himself. He will of course respond to the request which has been squeezed out of this man - by God. For the mans request is the summation of his believing all of the above. It is his signature on a 'document' entitled.
    Sorry mate but that’s the mantra of pretty much every cult the world has ever seen. They all try to convince you that there’s something inherently wrong with you that you are powerless to fix yourself and that they have the solution. For every person who found their solution in Christianity there’s another who found theirs in scientology or the Jehovah’s witnesses or any one you care to name.

Take a look at tactic 5 on this list: http://www.factnet.org/coercivemindcontrol.html

TACTIC 5: Create a sense of powerlessness by subjecting the person to intense and frequent actions and situations which undermine the person's confidence in himself and his judgment.

So what makes your one any different? With a 1001 groups telling me that I’m worthless and they can fix me, why should I pay any more heed to you than to the scientologists?

I try to live my life as best I can but I know that I have hurt people in my life and that I will most likely do so again, just like every other human being. So I meet criterion A.

You smell a stench of rotteness eminating from the core of your being? Your words don't really bring out the full sense of that .. to be honest.

You say that we are “supposed to be” a certain way. How can that be unless there is an intelligence who has defined a way that we are “supposed to be”?

I'm saying the conviction that there is something seriously wrong dawns on a man who is fulfilling God's criterion. Where the man goes with this isn't the issue. He might consider his rotten acts the result of a psychological problem. He might consider it the result of an addiction. He need not conclude God.

Sorry mate but that’s the mantra of pretty much every cult the world has ever seen. They all try to convince you that there’s something inherently wrong with you that you are powerless to fix yourself and that they have the solution. For every person who found their solution in Christianity there’s another who found theirs in scientology or the Jehovah’s witnesses or any one you care to name.

Indeed. But there's one striking difference in Christianity...

So what makes your one any different? With a 1001 groups telling me that I’m worthless and they can fix me, why should I pay any more heed to your book than to dianetics?

I not telling you that you need to pay heed. I'm merely answering your questions on the mechanics of Gods salvation. You don't need to do a thing as such - for unbeknownst to you, God is currently active with his mechanism of salvation in your individual case. Clearly, things haven't reached the kind of climax being described in these last posts regarding your good self. Perhaps they never will with you (we can talk about how one evades salvation too if you like). But active in the attempt to save, God is...whether you like this or not, whether you're aware of this or not.

Salvation is from God, Sam. You don't need to do a thing. And whatever you do do by way of playing a part will be the result of his machinations, his actions, his prodding, his stimulus. For example (and assuming what I say is true for the moment): you have just read about the workings of the gospel of God from a representitive of God tasked with telling you. In reading so, you've have been exposed to a description about your objective state. Truth about you and your position before God is now wending itself around in your (un)consciousness. And Gods statement about the effect of truth is that it tends towards setting people free (from a lie)

Consider it a worm. A truth worm. Burying away in there somewhere. Hopefully contributing towards setting you free one day. Do let me know if ever.. okay?

Salvation is from God, Sam. You don't need to do a thing.

I think many many Christians claim otherwise and like to quote Jesus in support of this.

This is another, albet off topic, problem with Christianity. Talk to 10 different Christians and you will get 10 different versions of Christianity.

I think many many Christians claim otherwise and like to quote Jesus in support of this.

That's the trouble with quotes. Hell, you can even arrive at Roman Catholicism Is True by quoting Jesus.

This is another, albet off topic, problem with Christianity. Talk to 10 different Christians and you will get 10 different versions of Christianity.

Which is no problem for the mechanism of salvation - in 'my' version of Christianity at least.

(I'll try get to your posts soon - I wrote a long reply to one in the Why thread and it disappeared into the ether. Knocks the wind out of your sails that :))

• Advertisement

Which is no problem for the mechanism of salvation - in 'my' version of Christianity at least.

Yeah but in your version of Christianity we seem to not have to do anything, nor can you do anything.

The problem with that is that over here (points in that direction) are a lot of Christians screaming that you do have to do something. You have to believe in Jesus (the conscious type of believing, not simply agreeing unconsciously)

Therefore being an atheist seems the best course of action. :pac:

Advertisement