Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith: the evidence of things not seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You'd be trusting in God (at root) to have provided you with the knowledge of God.
    That's a circular argument, ie the logic you have used to explain why you know god exists only works if you assume god exists.
    Suppose me born sighted in a land of blind men. You're a man patently blind (from my perspective) asking me why I think I can see. Or why I don't consider the possibility of my being deluded when I say I have this ability to perceive things you cannot. Supposing yourself in the same position as me for a moment, you'd recognise the questioners blindness being the motivation for his line of questioning. Wouldn't you?
    I can think of a dozen ways right now to demonstrate to a blind man that I have a sense that he doesn't, ie I can provide strong independently verifiable evidence to support my claim. Can you do the same?

An extremely simple example of an experiment to prove to a blind man that I can see is that I'll be able to tell him with 100% accuracy every time how many fingers he's holding up without touching them. With religious claims of this type it seems that the believer offers little more than an unverifiable claim and an appeal to faith. If I told a blind man that I could see but refused to provide a shred of evidence to support my claim, even the simple experiment I just mentioned, I would completely understand if he didn't believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That's a circular argument, ie the logic you have used to explain why you know god exists only works if you assume god exists.

Note the "you" being referred to here. Wicknight (the 'you' in question) is the one preferring empirical means as a way for God to demonstrate his existance. But seeing as God comforming so would be immediately revealed as the one behind the system (empiricism: a way to knowledge) employed in the evaluation..

Which is of course, circular: Wicknight'd be trusting God's own system to provide him with his knowledge of God. Circularity is the case with empiricism in general: I have to assume reality exists in order to be able to determine I know something about reality. At these fundamental levels, no one is really concerned about circularity: we assume the reality as we percieve it is real and get on with it.

I can think of a dozen ways right now to demonstrate to a blind man that I have a sense that he doesn't, ie I can provide strong independently verifiable evidence to support my claim. Can you do the same?

All analogies suffer when stretched. There being no particular reason to assume a supernatural-sense should interact with the natural senses in the same way the 5 naturally-directed senses interact with each other.

The point made had to do with querying why the 'sighted' man should have any reason to doubt his sight - simply because a patently blind man can't perceive what he perceives. The sighted man would more readily see the doubters motivation arising from that one's lack - than delusion in himself. Delusion would be the last place the sighted would be expected to investigate.

That's all the analogy is meant to convey.
    If I told a blind man that I could see but refused to provide a shred of evidence to support my claim, even the simple experiment I just mentioned, I would completely understand if he didn't believe me

The point of the discussion isn't that you believe. The point is that you be agnostic in the face of my claim.

Note the "you" being referred to here. Wicknight (the 'you' in question) is the one preferring empirical means as a way for God to demonstrate his existance. But seeing as God comforming so would be immediately revealed as the one behind the system (empiricism: a way to knowledge) employed in the evaluation..

Which is of course, circular: Wicknight'd be trusting God's own system to provide him with his knowledge of God. Circularity is the case with empiricism in general: I have to assume reality exists in order to be able to determine I know something about reality. At these fundamental levels, no one is really concerned about circularity: we assume the reality as we percieve it is real and get on with it.
    I have to assume reality exists but I don't have to assume that it was created by your god. the point of empiricism is to reduce the number of assumptions that must be made as much as humanly possible. We can never eliminate them all but that's not an excuse for assuming things that we are not in a position to assume, such as the existence of the god of bible. And once you do begin with that assumption, any argument you put forward after that is irrelevant because you're assuming the conclusion

All analogies suffer when stretched - there being no reason to assume a God-sense interacts with the natural in the same way the 5 naturally-directed senses interact with each other. The point made had to do with the sighted man having any reason to doubt his sight - simply because a man patently blind can't perceive what he perceives. The sighted man would more readily see the doubters motivation arising from that one's lack than delusion in himself. Delusion would be the last place the sighted would be expected to investigate.

That's all the analogy is meant to convey.
    But what if a man claims to be able to see but goes around bumping into things just as much as the blind man?

There are millions upon millions of people who all make similar claims to yourself but in most cases the claims are mutually exclusive, ie you cannot both be right. I can't say which of you is wrong but because these claims are mutually exclusive I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of people on the planet who are as sure as you of their respective claims are wrong. This alone tells me that personal experience is not a reliable way of determining things like this. So what makes you so special you can be so sure of your own perception to say you're right where millions upon millions of people are wrong, without offering a shred of supporting evidence?

An appropriate analogy would be that both you and another person claim to be able to see but not only do you (arguably) bump into things just as much as the blind man but the surroundings you each describe are totally different. At most one of you is actually seeing so how are you to know which of you is actually seeing and which only thinks he can and how is the blind man to know if either of you are actually seeing or if you both just think you can?

I have to assume reality exists but I don't have to assume that it was created by your god.

God isn't present in your reality so you'd be wise not to assume he - or anything else that isn't present in your reality- is real. You'd grant however than if God is present in one's reality then the natural thing to do is assume he is real.

the point of empiricism is to reduce the number of assumptions that must be made as much as humanly possible. We can never eliminate them all but that's not an excuse for assuming things that we are not in a position to assume, such as the existence of the god of bible. And once you do begin with that assumption, any argument you put forward after that is irrelevant because you're assuming the conclusion

The application of empiricism is limited to that part of reality that lends itself to the constructs of empiricism. What you seem to be doing is stretching empiricism to comment on that which is clearly couldn't comment (in the case there was something other than the empirical to comment about).

But what if a man claims to be able to see but goes around bumping into things just as much as the blind man?

We see as through a glass darkly :).

No one said the sight was 20/20 in all departments.

There are millions upon millions of people who all make similar claims to yourself but in most cases the claims are mutually exclusive, ie you cannot both be right. I can't say which of you is wrong but because these claims are mutually exclusive I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of people on the planet who are as sure as you of their respective claims are wrong. This alone tells me that personal experience is not a reliable way of determining things like this.

Non sequitur in the making. Firstly, I'm not engaged in determining anything anymore that your assumption of the realness of the reality in which you operate is something you determine. Secondly, the presence of many different paths to the supposed summit (many of which are mutually exclusive) says nothing at all about the (in)correctness of any one of them. The Bible suggests Satan behind them all but one which can be a true thing (certainly they share a central characteristic)

So what makes you so special you can be so sure of your own perception to say you're right where millions upon millions of people are wrong, without offering a shred of supporting evidence?

I'm not on my own. I happen to be one of very many who say the same basic thing that I'm saying (irrespective of the many doctrinal differences that seem to separate us). This possible 'delusion' that Wicknight talks of strikes me as a limp attempt to evade dealing with spirituality than any real attempt to address the issue.

And of course, it could be that Allah exists and is reconfiguring my neurological pathways so that I experience God in the way he's described in the Bible. That I know God exists doesn't mean he actually does - I could be a brain in a jar. So could you be w.r.t. to all you know.

Knowledge isn't absolute. It depends on that which is perceived to be real .. being real in fact. So when I say I know God exists, I am adding that rider in unspoken fashion. Unspoken because we could all add the same rider to all we all know.

God isn't present in your reality so you'd be wise not to assume he - or anything else that isn't present in your reality- is real. You'd grant however than if God is present in one's reality then the natural thing to do is assume he is real.
    No, again that's a circular argument. Your entire argument only works if you assume the thing you are trying to determine. The point is that you have to determine whether god is actually present in your reality or if you're one of the millions upon millions of people who only thinks their god is present in their reality even though their god doesn't exist.

The application of empiricism is limited to that part of reality that lends itself to the constructs of empiricism. What you seem to be doing is stretching empiricism to comment on that which is clearly couldn't comment (in the case there was something other than the empirical to comment about).
    People love to talk down empiricism until they get sick and want that same empricism to cure them. without empricism all you have is people making outlandish claims and declaring them to be true. That's why there are over 33,000 denominations of christianity but only one theory of gravity.

Non sequitur in the making. Firstly, I'm not engaged in determining anything anymore that your assumption of the realness of the reality in which you operate is something you determine. Secondly, the presence of many different paths to the supposed summit (many of which are mutually exclusive) says nothing at all about the (in)correctness of any one of them. The Bible suggests Satan behind them all but one which can be a true thing (certainly they share a central characteristic)
    So how can you be so sure that your one is not one of the many that satan is behind? (or another religion's version of satan)
    I'm not on my own. I happen to be one of very many who say the same basic thing that I'm saying (irrespective of the many doctrinal differences that seem to separate us). This possible 'delusion' that Wicknight talks of strikes me as a limp attempt to evade dealing with spirituality than any real attempt to address the issue.
    That's an argument ad populum. There are many people who agree with you but not only do they only agree with you to a certain extent but there are an awful lot more who fundamentally disagree with you. This is not a non-sequitur, it's one of the things that most strongly shows that people aren't nearly as good at this type of thing as they think they are.
    And of course, it could be that Allah exists and is reconfiguring my neurological pathways so that I experience God in the way he's described in the Bible. That I know God exists doesn't mean he actually does - I could be a brain in a jar. So could you be w.r.t. to all you know.

Knowledge isn't absolute. It depends on that which is perceived to be real .. being real in fact. So when I say I know God exists, I am adding that rider in unspoken fashion. Unspoken because we could all add the same rider to all we all know.

What you have just described is the whole point of empiricism. Human perception alone has shown itself time and time again to be unreliable, if it was reliable we wouldn't need science. You are using a method to determine god's existence that has proven itself to be unreliable while shunning a method that has proven itself to be reliable. It's been said many times before but it's highly ironic that you're typing on a computer to send me a message across the internet describing the failings of empiricism. There are certain things that we have to assume simply because we have absolutely no way of determining them such as that reality exists but the god of the bible is not one of those things.

Earlier on in the thread you were talking about driving your bike as evidence of the reliablility of your senses but as we've questioned you've retreated further and further until you're back to "brain in a jar" type arguments where we cannot determine anything with any level of certainty and it's futile to try. You determined that you could drive a bike by testing it over a quarter of a million miles but what you're describing here is akin to someone who's never seen a motorbike in their life simply assuming that they have an inherent ability to drive one as well as someone with who's driven a quarter of a million miles and arguing that this assumption is enough and that anyone who refuses to accept their claim to be able to ride one until they actually hop up on one and prove it is deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Suppose me born sighted in a land of blind men. You're a man patently blind (from my perspective) asking me why I think I can see. Or why I don't consider the possibility of my being deluded when I say I have this ability to perceive things you cannot. Supposing yourself in the same position as me for a moment, you'd recognise the questioners blindness being the motivation for his line of questioning. Wouldn't you?

Ok, lets take this analogy and try and explain my position cause I really don't think you are getting it (despite Sam explaining it better than me)

We both live in a world of blind people, a land of blind men so to speak.

Despite being blind we know that due to the way the blind optical nerve works sometimes it produces the experience of seeing shapes and colors. This is explained using normal biology, no need for any supernatural explanation.

Every once and a while though a person claims to be able to see something. Despite this happening quite a bit no one, least those making the claims, have been able to figure out a way to tell if they are actually seeing something, or if it is just the produce of the mis-firing optical nerve.

Now a new blind man comes along, and claim like all the others that they can see.

The first thing anyone looking at their claim is motivated by is skepticism. Ok, here we have another person claiming to see something. Despite the long history of people not being able to back up these claims lets give the person the benefit of the doubt and examine the claim

The first question would be to the blind man How do you know you are actually seeing as opposed to just thinking you are due to a mis-firing optical nerve.

Your answers so far as to why you believe God are basically along the lines of the blind man saying

If we assume I actually was seeing then what would be happening is that light energy hitting my optical nerve would be triggering messages to my brain. My optical nerve is sending messages to my brain. Therefore it is reasonable to suppose I'm seeing.

This, needless to say would not be convincing to anyone else. The next response from anyone observing this would be that the same phenomena can be produced without light actually hitting the nerve, so how have you determined that this is what is actually happening.

The man then says back, How have you determined you aren't a brain in a jar.

This deflection again suggests to those observing (pardon the pun) the proceedings that the man hasn't actually determined he is able to see and is not trying to deflect from this with the age old deflection tactic of "How do we know anything", which of course doesn't actually answer the question.

The man then says he is not trying to convince the rest of us, he knows he is seeing the real world around him and it doesn't matter to us if we believe him or not.

Everyone else just struggs. Fair enough, if the man doesn't care about the standards that the rest of them care about nothing they can do about it.

But it would be highly inaccurate to say that these people don't believe him because they are motivated by jealousy that he can see and they can't. They don't believe him because he has not presented any evidence to suggest that he is actually seeing as opposed to merely a naturally occurring delusion.

For the man to say that if he was seeing this is how it would happen is rather pointless, as it is pointless for you to say that if God exists he could reveal himself to you this way.

As Sam points out that only holds if you first assume your position is correct. You could equally remove God and replace it with an infinite number of possible supernatural explanations.
    This atheist line of enquiry (how do you know you aren't deluded/reasoning wrongly) assumes the higher ground of supposing they aren't the blind ones.
    No the atheist line of inquiry assumes we are all blind unless you have a very good reason to say we aren't. Which you don't.
    You're adherence to empiricism is abundantly clear. As an aside, could you tell me how it is you know what you're thinking?

I don't. I also don't know I'm not a brain in a jar.

Your entire argument seems to be along the lines of suggesting because you think you aren't a brain in a jar therefore you aren't a brain in a jar.

Which is a bit odd since if you were a brain in a jar in a perfect simulation of a world, you couldn't tell.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Ok, lets take this analogy and try and explain my position cause I really don't think you are getting it (despite Sam explaining it better than me)

Fair enough. Bear in mind that you've not started out your response with an answer to the question which asked you to look at things from my perspective. I'll be looking for what you say to deal with the supposition above. Okay?

We both live in a world of blind people, a land of blind men so to speak.

Despite being blind we know that due to the way the blind optical nerve works sometimes it produces the experience of seeing shapes and colors. This is explained using normal biology, no need for any supernatural explanation.

Fair enough - although no discussion on the flavour of the God-perception has been forthcoming (nor is it considered necessary for the purposes of this discussion). The suggestion is that the 'sense' in question is as different (moreso in fact) in flavour to the other 5 senses as the other 5 senses are to each other. And so a sighted man in the kingdom of the blind: in which case the aural system's abilty to produce sounds requiring no supernatural explanation has no bearing on the issue of perceptions by this other sense, sight.

Every once and a while though a person claims to be able to see something. Despite this happening quite a bit no one, least those making the claims, have been able to figure out a way to tell if they are actually seeing something, or if it is just the produce of the mis-firing optical nerve.

Now a new blind man comes along, and claim like all the others that they can see.

The first thing anyone looking at their claim is motivated by is skepticism. Ok, here we have another person claiming to see something. Despite the long history of people not being able to back up these claims lets give the person the benefit of the doubt and examine the claim

The first question would be to the blind man How do you know you are actually seeing as opposed to just thinking you are due to a mis-firing optical nerve.

No problem - I'm perfectly understanding of your view.

But the question above wasn't so much about your view, it was about my response to your view (given the supposition above being true). Assuming the supposition true then you'd see the fruitlessness (from my perspective) of your asking me "how do I know I'm not deluded and the like". You'd be setting up experiements showing me how the aural system can be tricked and suggesting that this is what in fact is going on. You'd see how this would pass over the head of the sighted man.

Where it is we must end up (I am suggesting) is skepticism on your part and the unfazed sighted man scenario up top, on my part. You have your rational for the skepticism you occupy. I have a quite different one for the position you occupy: you are skeptical because of, and only because of, blindness.

There are no routes open to you that cannot easily be fended off by me. You occupy a kingdom of blind men so your assembling hoards of other blind men so as to pronounce the skepticism somehow 'objectivised' by weight of empiricist consensus falls by the wayside. What possible dent could the consensus of 100,000 blind men make in the perception of one sighted one?

The man then says back, How have you determined you aren't a brain in a jar

This deflection again suggests to those observing (pardon the pun) the proceedings that the man hasn't actually determined he is able to see and is not trying to deflect from this with the age old deflection tactic of "How do we know anything", which of course doesn't actually answer the question.

Calling it the age old deflection tactic doesn't deflect from the problem we both face - it only highlights it's resolution: stalemate/skeptical agnosticism. What I'm suggesting you do up top is visualise the assembly of blind men arriving at the one in their midst indeed capable of sight and pronouncing as you do:

"This deflection again suggests to those observing (pardon the pun) the proceedings that the man hasn't actually determined he is able to see and is not trying to deflect from this with the age old deflection tactic of "How do we know anything", which of course doesn't actually answer the question."

..and suppose yourself in his shoes. Should he wonder whether he can see simply because they can't and are skeptical?

The man then says he is not trying to convince the rest of us, he knows he is seeing the real world around him and it doesn't matter to us if we believe him or not.

Everyone else just shrugs. Fair enough, if the man doesn't care about the standards that the rest of them care about nothing they can do about it.

I've repeated a number of times that the point of the discussion isn't that you believe (or disbelieve less) so that shrug of the shoulders might best have taken place nearer the start of the discussion.

If you get to agreeing that stalemate/agnosticism is the truest of positions for you to occupy in the face of my claim then we can wrap up here.

For the man to say that if he was seeing this is how it would happen is rather pointless, as it is pointless for you to say that if God exists he could reveal himself to you this way.

As Sam points out that only holds if you first assume your position is correct. You could equally remove God and replace it with an infinite number of possible supernatural explanations.

Sam knowing there is a computer screen on front of him suffers from the same circular limitation. If he can point out what higher ground he occupies that enables him to escape the circularity of his own position then I'd be interested in hearing it. This is the kind of thing I mean by stalemate. And there is no set of bootstraps I can think of that can elevate Sams position so much as an iota higher than mine.

As pointed out to him, we all have to assume the reality as we perceive it is actually there. Mine just happens to include God and no amount of evidently-to-me blind men could (or should) cause me to question that. Let's face it, if it got to the stage where I was permitting something I assumed to exist (a bunch of (blind!) men) to help me establish whether or not something else I assumed existed, existed (God), then I'd be heading into some very rocky - not to say, irrational, waters indeed.

:)

----

BTW: I'd be interested in your (and Sams) response to the conundrum you face regarding God evidencing himself to you via:

1) a roundabout system of knowing designed and installed (it would transpire) by God, i.e.: empirically verifiable revelation.

2) knowing of his existance by direct personal revelation, i.e. the God sense. Designed and installed (it would transpire) by that same God.

..and why it is you suppose you should value the one system over the other.

Assuming, of course, you suppose God (if he existed) could make himself known to you at all.

Sam knowing there is a computer screen on front of him suffers from the same circular limitation. If he can point out what higher ground he occupies that enables him to escape the circularity of his own position then I'd be interested in hearing it.
    I can independently verify that there is computer screen in front of me. My senses could be fooled into thinking that there is a computer screen in front of me so I can ask a line of people to come in and independently verify that they can also see a computer screen. All of those people could be suffering from the same flawed perception as I am so I can then take a scientific tool that is not subject to the same flaws as our perception and have it also verify that there is a computer screen there. One example would be to take a photograph or a video of the screen and verify that it's also visible there and so is not just a trick of the mind.

I could be imagining all of this because I could be a brain in a jar but I can be as sure as a human being can possibly be that there is actually a computer screen in front of me by taking my own perception out of the equation as much as possible and using independent methods to verify what I think I'm seeing. When we get into the fluffy philosophical level it's technically impossible to verify anything because we could be brains in jars but this philosophical idea should not prevent us from trying to verify things and neither should it validate anyone's completely baseless assertions. It doesn't mean that if someone thinks they're perceiving something they're as likely to be right as someone who has a mountain of independent evidence to support their assertion. Imagine you were a witness at a trial and you were asked how you knew the defendant committed the crime. Try saying "how do you know you're not a brain in a jar?" and see how far that gets you.

The human mind is known to be extremely flawed. It can produce false perceptions and does so regularly. The simple fact that there are millions of people who are equally sure as you of completely contradictory ideas prove this. You can say "we all have to assume the reality as we perceive it is actually there. Mine just happens to include God and no amount of evidently blind men could (or should) cause me to question that" all you want but I can find any number of guys who will say exactly the same thing except their reality includes a totally different kind of god. What do you say to people who are as sure as you of something totally contradictory? Would you also argue that nothing you say should cause them to question their perception of reality even though it totally contradicts yours?

I'd be interested in your (and Sams) response to the conundrum you face regarding God evidencing himself to you via:

1) a roundabout system of knowing designed and installed (it would transpire) by God, i.e.: empirically verifiable revelation.

2) knowing of his existance by direct personal revelation, i.e. the God sense. Designed and installed by God.

Assuming you suppose God could make himself known to you.

I think that if god was actually making himself known to people he would do it in a way that is an awful lot more reliable than what you call the "god sense" because, as I keep pointing out, there are millions upon millions of people who all think they're using this "god sense" but the overhelming majority of them definitely aren't because all of their ideas gleaned from this so-called god sense are contradictory. I cannot bring myself to trust a sense that I'm supposed to have when I know for a fact that the majority of people using it have been steered towards a false god. I'd have to have some evidence that my god sense is somehow more reliable than theirs. Just because I think something doesn't automatically mean I'm right

I can independently verify that there is computer screen in front of me. My senses could be fooled into thinking that there is a computer screen in front of me so I can ask a line of people to come in and independently verify that they can also see a computer screen.

Trusting, presumably, the sense you suspect able to fool you into perceiving the computer screen to somehow not fool you into detecting the line of people??

All of those people could be suffering from the same flawed perception as I am so I can then take a scientific tool that is not subject to the same flaws as our perception and have it also verify that there is a computer screen there. One example would be to take a photograph or a video of the screen and verify that it's also visible there and so is not just a trick of the mind.

Adding to the above circularity, we see the same mind which is not trusted to confirm the presence of a screen directly, is deemed suitable for evaluating the presence of a photograph which posits the presence of the screen indirectly.

I could be imagining all of this because I could be a brain in a jar but I can be as sure as a human being can possibly be that there is actually a computer screen in front of me by taking my own perception out of the equation as much as possible and using independent methods to verify what I think I'm seeing.

The point was that you don't take your perception out of the equation at all. Sitting at the root of all you know are;

a) your perceptions,

b) your trusting that your perceptions accurately reflect a reality you assume to be there.

When we get into the fluffy philosophical level it's technically impossible to verify anything because we could be brains in jars but this philosophical idea should not prevent us from trying to verify things and neither should it validate anyone's completely baseless assertions. It doesn't mean that if someone thinks they're perceiving something they're as likely to be right as someone who has a mountain of independent evidence to support their assertion.

Okay. What independent evidence can you produce to support the knowledge you have that you thought what you were thinking a minute ago? I'll presume you know what you were thinking then, and I'll ask that you not disappear out the diversionary escape hatch marked "there is empirical evidence that we think"

You know what you thought. Independent evidence for that knowledge, please.
    The human mind is known to be extremely flawed. It can produce false perceptions and does so regularly. The simple fact that there are millions of people who are equally sure as you of completely contradictory ideas prove this. You can say "we all have to assume the reality as we perceive it is actually there. Mine just happens to include God and no amount of evidently blind men could (or should) cause me to question that" all you want but I can find any number of guys who will say exactly the same thing except their reality includes a totally different kind of god.

Which only goes to show the limitations involved in saying "I know x". You can know; but it doesn't mean it's actually the case. Not in the case of your computer screen, and not in the case of our God.

Which means we're each left with simply supposing that we are accurately perceiving reality (unless we each have grounds to suppose that we aren't doing so). And it's for us to decide where it is we draw the line of assumption. Me, I draw it at the line of what I perceive: thus I trust there is a line of people there to tell me my screen exists. But I don't actually call on them, because I trust too, my ability to percieve the screen. And avoid going in the circles you do above.

What do you say to people who are as sure as you of something totally contradictory? Would you also argue that nothing you say should cause them to question their perception of reality even though it totally contradicts yours?

I'd be happy to discuss it with them and would be prepared to settle for agnosticism on what they say they know. Like I say, knowledge depends on one big fat assumption regarding ones own ability to percieve. And when one isn't prepared to scribe the circle that is Empiricism (with all the bootstrapping involved in same) then agnosticism is the only remaining option.

I think that if god was actually making himself known to people he would do it in a way that is an awful lot more reliable than what you call the "god sense" because, as I keep pointing out, there are millions upon millions of people who all think they're using this "god sense" but the overhelming majority of them definitely aren't because all of their ideas gleaned from this so-called god sense are contradictory.

This doesn't really address the conundrum. No matter what method God used to reveal himself to you, you'd be trusting in God having made that method a reliable on for you to know it's him. Given that, what matter what method, so long as you trust it's reliable?

Remember, the sense I trust is merely an arrangement of atoms in your brain (we might suppos for the sake of argument). Something God can arrange by all manner of means. You need to explain why his doing so the one way (via empirical experience) is superior to another way of his doing so - given that he'd be the one operating both systems.

I cannot bring myself to trust a sense that I'm supposed to have when I know for a fact that the majority of people using it have been steered towards a false god. I'd have to have some evidence that my god sense is somehow more reliable than theirs. Just because I think something doesn't automatically mean I'm right

From the above point we see that it's not you you'd be relying on (at root) whatever way it was that you knew God existed. You'd be relying on God - the instigator, designer, installer of the system whereby you know.

It should be realised also that if God, then the perceptions which conclude the existance false gods wouldn't be the same as the sense that detects the true God. The problem lies with you, an outsider, not being able to tell the difference between them. But there would be a difference between them and so you wouldn't be talking of the same sense.

Your objection seems to centre on how you can know that what I know is the case. I agree you can't. But what I don't think you can say is that God is unable to reveal himself directly to a person so that they are as sure of his existance as they are of anything else. Such a task would seem like a mere trifle to me, and one not at all requiring the invocation of but one system of knowledge designed by him.

I might have made this point before but in worshipping at the throne of Empiricism, are you not trying to jump through the impossible hoop of utilising that which would have been designed by God (in the case he exists) to confirm or deny the existance of God. I mean, how could you utlise the created (empiricism) to confirm the Creator without assuming that which you are trying to demonstrate?

Trusting, presumably, the sense you suspect able to fool you into perceiving the computer screen to somehow not fool you into detecting the line of people??

Adding to the above circularity, we see the same mind which is not trusted to confirm the presence of a screen directly, is deemed suitable for evaluating the presence of a photograph which posits the presence of the screen indirectly.

The point was that you don't take your perception out of the equation at all. Sitting at the root of all you know are;

a) your perceptions,

b) your trusting that your perceptions accurately reflect a reality you assume to be there.

Okay. What independent evidence can you produce to support the knowledge you have that you thought what you were thinking a minute ago? I'll presume you know what you were thinking then, and I'll ask that you not disappear out the diversionary escape hatch marked "there is empirical evidence that we think"

You know what you thought. Independent evidence for that knowledge, please.

Which only goes to show the limitations involved in saying "I know x". You can know; but it doesn't mean it's actually the case. Not in the case of your computer screen, and not in the case of our God.

Which means we're each left with simply supposing that we are accurately perceiving reality (unless we each have grounds to suppose that we aren't doing so). And it's for us to decide where it is we draw the line of assumption. Me, I draw it at the line of what I perceive: thus I trust there is a line of people there to tell me my screen exists. But I don't actually call on them, because I trust too, my ability to percieve the screen. And avoid going in the circles you do above.

I'd be happy to discuss it with them and would be prepared to settle for agnosticism on what they say they know. Like I say, knowledge depends on one big fat assumption regarding ones own ability to perceive. And when one isn't prepared to scribe the circle that is Empiricism (with all the bootstrapping involved in same) then agnosticism is the only remaining option.

This doesn't really address the conundrum. No matter what method God used to reveal himself to you, you'd be trusting in God having made that method a reliable on for you to know it's him. Given that, what matter what method, so long as you trust it's reliable?

Remember, the sense I trust is merely an arrangement of atoms in your brain (we might suppos for the sake of argument). Something God can arrange by all manner of means. You need to explain why his doing so the one way (via empirical experience) is superior to another way of his doing so - given that he'd be the one operating both systems.

From the above point we see that it's not you you'd be relying on (at root) whatever way it was that you knew God existed. You'd be relying on God - the instigator, designer, installer of the system whereby you know.

It should be realised also that if God, then the perceptions which conclude the existance false gods wouldn't be the same as the sense that detects the true God. The problem lies with you, an outsider, not being able to tell the difference between them. But there would be a difference between them and so you wouldn't be talking of the same sense.

At its root empiricism relies on perception but only at its root. Empiricism uses as many different methods as possible to verify the same conclusion, for example scientists use 3 or 4 different methods to measure the age of the Earth. One method could be wrong but four are less likely to be. If I want to verify the presence of a monitor, before I even call anyone else in or bring in scientific equipment I can use my senses of sight, hearing, touch, taste and smell so that all 5 senses have come to the same conclusion. Five senses are less likely to be wrong than one. Five people are less likely to be wrong than one. 5 different types of scientific equipment are less likely to be wrong than one. Five attempts at the same experiment are less likely to be wrong than one. Five attempts at different experiments to confirm the same thing are less likely to be wrong than one. Yes it all comes down to perception in the end but you're perceiving it in many different ways with each method confirming the other methods

Each time you use a different method to verify your perception you make it less likely that you're wrong but you're trying to argue that there's no point doing any of that, whether you just assume something or verify it a hundred different ways you're equally likely to be right and you should just forego all that silly science and assume that you're right about whatever you happen to think. Sorry mate but every time you use one of the many many fruits of empiricism you prove yourself wrong. Nothing man has ever made was made right first time because our perception is flawed, it was all refined through a process of trial and error, ie empiricism. Empiricism does not always arrive at the right answer but it has shown itself time and time and time again to be a hell of a lot better than one guy declaring that he's right about something. If empiricism was actually as you think it is, a circular waste of time that provides no benefit over simply assuming you're right, human beings would still be living in caves. The entirety of human accomplishment proves you wrong and if you're so sure of that we're all just "worshipping at the alter" of this useless process I think you should go and live in a cave and stop reaping the rewards of this system that you think is so useless. You and I both know that empiricism reaps endless benefits and if you could independently verify god's existence you'd jump at the chance but because you can't you've had to come up with all these reasons for why you shouldn't have to verify it and it's enough to "just know". tell me antiskeptic, if you were ill and you had two people offering to help you with dangerous procedures, one of whom had ten peer reviewed journals demonstrating that his procedure worked and the other "just knew" that what he was going to do would work, which would you pick and why?

edit: in fact empiricism can be empirically shown to be better than one guy declaring that he's right about something :D
    Your objection seems to centre on how you can know that what I know is the case.
    No it doesn't. It centres on how can you know you what you think you know is the case when there are millions of people who are just as sure as you of contradictory things? Your entire position rests on the assumption that your perception alone is all the verification you need but the existence of billions of people who disagree with you proves you wrong. If perception alone was good enough there would be no such thing as disagreement. As far as I'm concerned it's just ego, you just think you're better than them at perceiving the world. When you shun independent verification there's nothing left except "I'm right and you're wrong so there" which goes some way to explaining why religion has caused so much conflict
    I might have made this point before but in worshipping at the throne of Empiricism, are you not trying to jump through the impossible hoop of utilising that which would have been designed by God (in the case he exists) to confirm or deny the existance of God. I mean, how could you utlise the created (empiricism) to confirm the Creator without assuming that which you are trying to demonstrate?
    No I'm not. You seem to be suggesting that if someone designed something it should for some reason be impossible to verify that they designed it :confused:

I have to assume that creation exists but that does not mean in any way, shape or form that I have to assume it was created by some Jewish guy who lived 2000 years ago. I think we're experiencing a common problem where theists seem to assume that their particular perception of god is the only possibility, that if there is any god it must be their god, and if they're wrong it must mean that the atheists are right but that is of course not the case. Even if I approached the problem with the assumption that there is a creator, I would be no closer to believing Christianity over Hinduism than I am today. The question is not "Is there a god?", it's "If there is a god, which one is it?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Oh dear! I said that your second scenario was couched in a moral context.

I fail to recognise this as a moral context nor did I intend that meaning. The person calling it bad could, for example, merely be referring to the fact that it is inadvisable to go against the “bosses orders”. Or that it is bad because going against it’s will tends to lead to other unfortunate consequences. Nothing about morality there…. at…. all.

However I repeat yet again, the content of the conversations is irrelevant to the point that I was actually making and one you seem keen to leave lying forgotten in the corner. The point I am making is that there is a difference between faith as a conversation stopper when you compare its use IN a conversation, and its use as a topic OF conversation, which is the point you made which started this whole tangent off.

This atheist line of enquiry (how do you know you aren't deluded/reasoning wrongly) assumes the higher ground of supposing they aren't the blind ones.

The difference being of course that, like our conversation before, sight is a „sense“ which we can actually establish the existence of independently before going into a conversation of blindness and seeing. So it is not circular.

This is not true of your position. You have assumed X (that there is a god) you then assumed Y (that there is a sense for sensing said entity) and you then apply Y as evidence for X and X as evidence for Y. This is circular and so kills your analogy to sight.

Should you, at any time, manage to establish the existence of either X or Y independently of the other, you would be on almost unassailably strong ground in this discussion.

However at this time it is about as useful to me as someone saying “I am Napoleon reincarnated and the only reason you do not believe that is you lack the sense I have which enables me to see my past lives”.

Why I should accept this reasoning from you, and not from our would be Napoleon, is something I am yet to see you establish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I fail to recognise this as a moral context nor did I intend that meaning. The person calling it bad could, for example, merely be referring to the fact that it is inadvisable to go against the “bosses orders”. Or that it is bad because going against it’s will tends to lead to other unfortunate consequences. Nothing about morality there…. at…. all.

Yes, very good. But I've already explained how al that is twaddle. At the root you still have to ask yourself why it is against the "bosses orders" (which is no different an option from what has already been suggested) or why it will bring "unfortunate consequences". In both cases the answer points to a moral transgression.
    However I repeat yet again, the content of the conversations is irrelevant to the point that I was actually making and one you seem keen to leave lying forgotten in the corner. The point I am making is that there is a difference between faith as a conversation stopper when you compare its use IN a conversation, and its use as a topic OF conversation, which is the point you made which started this whole tangent off.

I don't buy your hyperbole, I'm afraid. I've already discussed the issue in detail. I've even given examples how faith used in a conversation ("a Christian context") doesn't end that conversation. Indeed, previous examples aside, denominational ecumenism (a conversation held in faith and about it) would be rather unfruitful if what you insist to be true is actually true.

I've also highlighted the curious selective criticism of faith by Harris. It seems that all other forms of faith slip through his fingers as he goes for the jugular of religion.

The tone of your posts suggest you are getting frustrated. Reply if you wish but I'm going to do us both a favour and bow out.

I still do not see the problem.

I could say „This is a cleaning product“ and you could say „I have an example here of it not being used as a cleaning product, so you are wrong” as if this changes the fact it is a cleaning product.

I stand by my claim that faith is a conversation stopper. Just because you can find examples where it is not, does not negate my point.

If we have a long conversation about something and we stick to evidence and data we have then we can have the argument until a conclusion is reached.

If however in a discussion you present as data or evidence for your position, data or evidence you do not actually appear to have, then this kills the conversation. Especially if you start making up things like “faith” to support the existence of the data or evidence that you have entirely created.

So, if one were to present an entity like god in a conversation and cite Faith as your only support for that, then this is a conversation stopper. One has literally declared onesself unassailable by further conversation, having offered nothing to support the existence of the entity in question, nor any way to dismiss the claim.

If, as in the example I said, an attack on homosexuality for example consisted of “Homosexuality should be stamped out because it is against gods plan”, what more can I possibly say to that person or have said to me? There is nothing at all to lend a single shred of credence to the persons claim, but they have decided to go with it anyway. Conversation is impossible on the issue.

Were anyone to actually present some data, evidence or argument to lend any credence to the existence of this entity or that this is in fact its opinion or that its opinion should even count, then we could talk. This is however not forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jmaycock

PDN wrote: »
    So, for example, consider our truth seeker. They have reached the following incremental beliefs by a series of small steps based on their experimentation and/or assessment of the evidence.

1. That belonging to a church community is beneficial.
    2. That they prefer being in the company of these church people more than with other people.
    3. That when they pray they see a significant number of prayers answered when compared to similar situations where they didn't pray.
    4. That asking Jesus to come into their life (even without fully understanding what that might mean or who He might be) appears to have improved their life.
    5. That reading the Bible describes a worldview that makes sense to them, and which explains, in their opinion, certain features of their life and past events better than any other explanation anyone has offered them.
    6. That when they began applying biblical teachings and principles to other parts of their lives (for example, in the area of their marriage) they saw an improvement in those areas.

This list is well put together and for some will be convincing, but, and it's a rather large but, for 95%+ of the world's population this list is not applicable. Most of the religious people in this world are religious because they were born into religious families and children who are born in Pakistan are likely to be Muslim, whereas children born in Ireland are more likely to be Christians. I have spoken to many Christians and their process is nothing like you describe.

Now if all religions (and the possibility that there is no God) were thought equally and children were left to make up their own minds, allowed to think critically and weigh up all the options, I would speculate that the landscape of the religious world would look a lot different.

Furthermore, if your God is all powerful, why not pray for some kind of miracle that cannot be ascribed to coincidence. Maybe God works in mysteries ways or maybe he does't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

My 2 cents on the OP.

I totally agree with antiskeptic.

It is one of my favourite verses, and the way you've explained it, has put into words what I couldn't.

great revelation, thanks.

It does pose a problem for people who want 100% evidence before they believe, but, I think to believe in God takes a leap of faith in any circumstance.

How does one make that first leap of faith? Well I think this is one of the miracles the human spirit.

There rest can only be understood afterwards.

My 2 cents on the OP.

I totally agree with antiskeptic.

It is one of my favourite verses, and the way you've explained it, has put into words what I couldn't.

great revelation, thanks.

My pleasure. Except that you don't seem to agree with me :). Compare..

You said:
    ]It does pose a problem for people who want 100% evidence before they believe, but, I think to believe in God takes a leap of faith in any circumstance.

Whereas I said:
    Our verse above (Hebrews 11:1) tells us the biblical view of faith sees faith as synonymous with evidence. It's not evidence that can be detected by 5 sense means (as indicated by "...not seen"). Rather it is detected primarily by the God sense which is switched on - on being reborn.

Hebrews tells us that faith is evidence (of a particular, non-empirical kind). There is no leaping involved with evidence - rather, you'll believe x once presented with evidence of x. And since the onus is on God to provide us with the faith/evidence in order that we can believe he exists, there is no leap involved on our part.

I'd need "100% evidence" before I'd believe in something as fantastical as God-of-the-Bible (or god of any sort). It turns out that I got 100% evidence. From God. And so I believe in God.

Thus..

How does one make that first leap of faith?

One doesn't. God delivers it to your door. You ... do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

My pleasure. Except that you don't seem to agree with me :). Compare..

You said:

Whereas I said:

Hebrews tells us that faith is evidence (of a particular, non-empirical kind). There is no leaping involved with evidence - rather, you'll believe x once presented with evidence of x. And since the onus is on God to provide us with the faith/evidence in order that we can believe he exists, there is no leap involved on our part.
    I'd need "100% evidence" before I'd believe in something as fantastical as God-of-the-Bible (or god of any sort). It turns out that I got 100% evidence. From God. And so I believe in God.

Thus..

I disagree a little.

Firstly, I understand that evidence means different things to different people and it is a personal matter.

However, it takes effort on our part as we have to act on our faith.

For example, when the penny dropped, I believed, profoundly, that God is true, and Jesus is the way the truth and the light with great certainty, but I still had to confess this (speak it out loud). It takes a bit of guts to do this (eg. say you're in a church and you have to put your hand up or go to the front to be prayed for?)

Or later, if you're already a christian, and God urges you to tell a prophecy or go up to someone and say something, it takes trust.

Maybe God takes us 95% there and we have to go the other 5%.

Thus..

Just to be clear here, are you saying that you did nothing and god presented 100% evidence of his existence to your door so you now believe? I have been presented with no such evidence so it hardly seems fair for god to present this evidence to some people but not to others and then punish the people he didn't present the evidence to for not believing, no?

Or would you be of the opinion that he must have presented me with the evidence at some point in my life and I ignored it? And if so, what was the nature of this evidence so I can look out for it if he tries it again?

Just to be clear here, are you saying that you did nothing and god presented 100% evidence of his existence to your door so you now believe?

I did do something. I believed God (which doesn't require belief in God nor even knowing that it's God you happen to be believing when it's actually him you're believing*). Because I did that (believed God) I fulfilled the criterion for his turning up and demonstrating his existance to me - after which I believed in God.

In other words, a person tips over the fulcrum point from Lost status to Found status on their believing God. God turning up personally - enabling the person to believe in God .. is a subsequent event.

*for example, if you believe 'murder is wrong' then you also happen to believe God (who would, it is argued be the one 'telling' you - by way of conscience - that murder is wrong). So, even though you're an atheist you can believe God in this general way. Indeed, atheists believe God on a whole raft of things. Their moral relativism might stray from Gods absolute - but is related to it all the same.

I have been presented with no such evidence so it hardly seems fair for god to present this evidence to some people but not to others and then punish the people he didn't present the evidence to for not believing, no?

You never asked why I think God presented evidence of his existance to me and not (we'll assume) to you. If you knew the answer to that then you might have another view on whether it's fair or not. For example, if it is your actions that ensure you continue disbelieving God (in the matter which he's attempting to bring you to belief on) then you could see how culpability for the consequences could be laid at your own door.

Or would you be of the opinion that he must have presented me with the evidence at some point in my life and I ignored it? And if so, what was the nature of this evidence so I can look out for it if he tries it again?

I'm not of the opinion that God presented you with evidence as to his existance. If he had - in the same sense he's done for me - then you'd believe he exists just like I do.

• Advertisement

I disagree a little.

Firstly, I understand that evidence means different things to different people and it is a personal matter.

This is true. But what the Hebrews passage considers faith to be is evidence leading to certainty. It's the very substance of our hope. The very best kind of evidence of all. It's not the kind of evidence that can have this person lean this way and that person lean that way. It's not fuzzy evidence in other words.

However, it takes effort on our part as we have to act on our faith.

For example, when the penny dropped, I believed, profoundly, that God is true, and Jesus is the way the truth and the light with great certainty, but I still had to confess this (speak it out loud). It takes a bit of guts to do this (eg. say you're in a church and you have to put your hand up or go to the front to be prayed for?)

My contention would be that you were already saved at this point (prior to your confessing). What you did subsequently, by way of public announcement, didn't take faith of the Hebrews type - it took courage. You already had 100% faith that God existed and needed no more to express it.

A person who is saved is in a position to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Their confession is a consequence of their being saved - not a cause of it. It's the same kind of thing as operates in James 'famous' "faith without works is dead".

Or later, if you're already a christian, and God urges you to tell a prophecy or go up to someone and say something, it takes trust.

Maybe God takes us 95% there and we have to go the other 5%.

Indeed. But the faith in question here is that leading to salvation - which involves no blind leaping - not the expression of faith/trust which has us obey God subsequently.

Take your own case for instance: did you take a blind leap when it came to knowing God exists for sure. Or did God do that work for you by simply providing irrefutable evidence. That evidence (I am supposing Hebrews to say) is also called faith. Faith, the evidence of things (like God, Jesus Christ as Lord) unseen.

I did do something. I believed God (which doesn't require belief in God nor even knowing that it's God you happen to be believing when it's actually him you're believing*). Because I did that (believed God) I fulfilled the criterion for his turning up and demonstrating his existance to me - after which I believed in God.

In other words, a person tips over the fulcrum point from Lost status to Found status on their believing God. God turning up personally - enabling the person to believe in God .. is a subsequent event

for example, if you believe 'murder is wrong' then you also happen to believe God (who would, it is argued be the one 'telling' you - by way of conscience - that murder is wrong). So, even though you're an atheist you can believe God in this general way. Indeed, atheists believe God on a whole raft of things. Their moral relativism might stray from Gods absolute - but is related to it all the same.
    But what if I see no connection between believing that murder is wrong and believing an old story about a man walking on water?
    You never asked why I think God presented evidence of his existance to me and not (we'll assume) to you.
    well you did say you did nothing and are now saying that you did something.
    If you knew the answer to that then you might have another view on whether it's fair or not. For example, if it is your actions that ensure you continue disbelieving God (in the matter which he's attempting to bring you to belief on) then you could see how culpability for the consequences could be laid at your own door.

I'm not of the opinion that God presented you with evidence as to his existance. If he had - in the same sense he's done for me - then you'd believe he exists just like I do.
    I thought that all sin was sin in the eyes of god, that we are all deserving of hell. And I also thought that god was supposed to love us all and want us to believe. What could I have possibly done in my life that would make him hide himself away from me while giving you 100% proof? By your own definition I aready believe god on many things even if I don't realise that's what I'm doing. I fulfil the criterion just as much as you so why you and not me?

But what if I see no connection between believing that murder is wrong and believing an old story about a man walking on water?

It makes no odds that you don't see it - not for the purposes of your salvation (or no) being determined by you (even if, in the case of your damnation, you'll only find out that you determined it and how you determined it after it's too late to alter anything). Believing that old story about a man walking on water belongs to the same category of events as the one in which God demonstrates his existance to you 100% - it's a belief that is evidenced to you post your salvation - not prior to it.

-

Assume (for the sake of illustrating the above point) that God exists and is in fact the 'source' at the root of your belief that murder is wrong. You'll agree that your believing murder is wrong is your believing God on the matter - even though you're not conciously aware of it and have no belief in God's existance.

God is the one 'saying' it, you're the one believing it - ergo, you believe God.

Now expand that idea out into all kinds of areas of right and wrong. We'd likely find you believe God on a large number of things and disbelieve him in a large number of other things. Consider, for example, how many times a day you have opportunity to display your belief/disbelief in the simple notion "do unto others". My guess is that you, like me, will display both belief and disbelief - depending on the circumstances. Many times each day!

Now actions arising out of your believing/disbelieving him bring consequences and forces to bear on you. Examples of this would be a clear conscience or a guilty one. Or sexual health or an STD (whether due to your disbelieving God or your wifes disbelieving God - no smear intended). These forces are multifold: physical/emotional/psychological/spiritual and are utilised by God in his attempt to bring you to belief about an overall issue he has in mind regarding you - namely, that there is something seriously amiss with you, something you can't evade and something you can't fix yourself.

Similar to other areas of belief, you can (come to) believe God regarding this specific case just as you can believe that murder is wrong. You can however resist bring brought to that belief - just as your resistance sustains other disbeliefs. In which case your resistance will provide for your damnation. Damnation can be seen as the terminus attaching to the path which refuses to be brought to saving belief.

I thought that all sin was sin in the eyes of god, that we are all deserving of hell. And I also thought that god was supposed to love us all and want us to believe. What could I have possibly done in my life that would make him hide himself away from me while giving you 100% proof? By your own definition I aready believe god on many things even if I don't realise that's what I'm doing. I fulfil the criterion just as much as you so why you and not me?

The general beliefs that people have which align with what God 'says', shouldn't be confused with a specific belief arrived at which results in your salvation (after which God reveals his existance to a person plainly and unmistakably)

The default position - until such time as a person arrives at this specific belief - is God's hiding of himself from them. That specific belief involves, as I say above, the person arriving at a certain conviction about themselves. Because I arrived at that conviction, I was saved (because arriving at that conviction satisfies the criterion a man must satisfy in order that he be saved). And because you haven't (yet... hopefully) arrived at that conviction, you haven't satisfied the criterion for salvation and so are not saved. And because you are not saved, God hasn't demonstrated his existance to you in this 100% way.

It's important to remember the place for God's 'showing up'. It's a post salvation event ... not prior to salvation event. And the cause of salvation in the first place is believing God - not believing in God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What have you done in your life? You have, quite deliberately, rejected God. It is quite clear Sam, to anyone who reads your posts, that your rejection of God and of Christianity is more than intellectual. It is also clear that whatever evidence is provided to you, you will find a way of explaining it away - because that is what you want.

God sees your heart, and He gives you want you want. You want to reject Him and He allows you to do that. I used to be in the same boat. If, 30 years ago, I had discovered conclusive evidence supporting Christianity, I would have been very annoyed.

Then, through a combination of circumstances, I began looking at things with an open mind. It's not that I wanted to jump into Christianity whether it all added up or not (I detest contradictory beliefs) - but now I examined it in a different way. I was no longer examining Christianity and the Bible in order to prove them wrong - I was examining them to see if they were true or not. And once my attitude changed - from one of attack to one of genuinely seeking after truth - then God revealed to me what I needed to see.

Jesus said, "Seek and you will find".

If you seek for stuff to bash Christianity with, then you can find it. But that is not seeking truth.

If you seek for confirmation of every belief you were raised with as a child or that your religion teaches, then you can find it. But that is not seeking truth.

But if you genuinely seek truth, whether it produces results that you like or not, then you can find it.

Very few people actually seek truth. Just look at the debates in these fora. Everyone googles wikipedia to find articles that will support their argument (and conveniently ignore anything that contradicts it). They read newspapers and watch TV that will reinforce their ideological stance. How many people actually read books without knowing in advance that they will confirm their existing beliefs? I mean, reading books because they have a genuine interest in the subject and want to learn more about it? But, for those who genuinely seek truth, there is much to be discovered.

Assuming (for the sake of illustrating the above point) that God exists and is in fact the 'source' at the root of your belief that murder is wrong, then your believing murder is wrong is in fact your believing God on the matter - even though you're not conciously aware of it. Now, expand that idea right out into all kinds of areas of right and wrong. We'd likely find you believe God on a large number of things and disbelieve him in a large number of other things.

Yes, but I also agree with Gandalf the magician on a lot of things, The mad hatter and the Cheshire cat were not far off on a few things also, and I heartily agree with a few of Supermans outlooks on life.

None of this grants even a slight modicum of credence to the notion these characters exist. Who I am actually agreeing with is the author of the text.

Given there is nothing on offer to suggest your god exists, the only conclusion left available is that you and I are agreeing with the author of the text (Bible) and not with the character therein.

The danger, of course, with assuming that you are agreeing with a god and not with an author, is that this often comes with the impression that god is right in all things. Therefore you risk possibly negating the ability to disagree with the author on anything else he says in the book, based solely on agreeing with him on others.

What have you done in your life? You have, quite deliberately, rejected God. It is quite clear Sam, to anyone who reads your posts, that your rejection of God and of Christianity is more than intellectual. It is also clear that whatever evidence is provided to you, you will find a way of explaining it away - because that is what you want.

God sees your heart, and He gives you want you want. You want to reject Him and He allows you to do that. I used to be in the same boat. If, 30 years ago, I had discovered conclusive evidence supporting Christianity, I would have been very annoyed.

Then, through a combination of circumstances, I began looking at things with an open mind. It's not that I wanted to jump into Christianity whether it all added up or not (I detest contradictory beliefs) - but now I examined it in a different way. I was no longer examining Christianity and the Bible in order to prove them wrong - I was examining them to see if they were true or not. And once my attitude changed - from one of attack to one of genuinely seeking after truth - then God revealed to me what I needed to see.

If you seek for stuff to bash Christianity with, then you can find it. But that is not seeking truth.

If you seek for confirmation of every belief you were raised with as a child or that your religion teaches, then you can find it. But that is not seeking truth.

But if you genuinely seek truth, whether it produces results that you like or not, then you can find it.

Very few people actually seek truth. Just look at the debates in these fora. Everyone googles wikipedia to find articles that will support their argument (and conveniently ignore anything that contradicts it). They read newspapers and watch TV that will reinforce their ideological stance. How many people actually read books without knowing in advance that they will confirm their existing beliefs? I mean, reading books because they have a genuine interest in the subject and want to learn more about it? But, for those who genuinely seek truth, there is much to be discovered.

Yeah but PDN you think "the truth" is the comforting arms of God and Christianity.

So the "Truth" just happens to give you a God who loves you, an authority to dish out morality and ethics and an after life, the stuff most humans desire.

And all this is based on religious faith no one can confirm or test to a standard independently of personal assessment. You guys give lip service to science (medicine, its great) but then you wholly criticizes people who refuse to accept your religion because it has not demonstrated itself to a scientific standard. And then you criticize science when it start to explain why you believe what you believe but without God.

It is some what ridiculous then criticizes Sam for sticking to a truth that offers him nothing but cold hard uncaring view of the universe around him. He may be bias (we may all be bias) but his bias doesn't offer him half of what yours does. It doesn't claim to help him, offer him what he wants, give him love, give him life after death, turn his life around etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    Yeah but PDN you think "the truth" is the comforting arms of God and Christianity.

So the "Truth" just happens to give you a God who loves you, an authority to dish out morality and ethics and an after life, the stuff most humans desire.

And all this is based on religious faith no one can confirm or test to a standard independently of personal assessment. You guys give lip service to science (medicine, its great) but then you wholly criticizes people who refuse to accept your religion because it has not demonstrated itself to a scientific standard. And then you criticize science when it start to explain why you believe what you believe but without God.

It is some what ridiculous then criticizes Sam for sticking to a truth that offers him nothing but cold hard uncaring view of the universe around him. He may be bias (we may all be bias) but his bias doesn't offer him half of what yours does. It doesn't claim to help him, offer him what he wants, give him love, give him life after death, turn his life around etc etc.

Er, I'm not criticising Sam. He's the one who has come into the Christianity forum in order to criticise.

I'm simply answering his question. And, since it doesn't provide the kind of answer he's looking for, I have no doubt that he will summarily reject it (as you have just done).

What I've said is that if you genuinely seek truth you will find it. It doesn't matter whether that truth is cold or comforting - so long as someone is genuinely interested in finding the truth.

Assuming (for the sake of illustrating the above point) that God exists and is in fact the 'source' at the root of your belief that murder is wrong, then your believing murder is wrong is in fact your believing God on the matter - even though you're not conciously aware of it.

If you are not consciously aware of it then you don't believe God, you share God's belief.

To believe God you would have to believe God, you would have to be aware of God's opinion and agree with it.

If I say to you that mass on Earth falls at 9.8m/s/s you can believe me or not believe me.

If though before that someone else told you this, and you believed then, and you never meet me, you don't by proxy also believe me.

You have no opinion towards me at all. You don't believe or not believe me, you have never met me.

It is illogical to say that if I believe murder is wrong I believe God. I simply share the same opinion as God, in the same way that if I believe mass falls at 9.8m/s/s and you believe that also and we have never met or talked to each other, you don't believe me and I don't believe you we simply share the same belief.

Otherwise it would make as much sense to say God believes me as it would to say that I believe God.

It might be quite clear to you that my rejection is more than intellectual but I can assure you it's not. My rejection of the bible is no more emotional than my rejection of scientology, UFOs or bigfoot, I simply find the whole thing ridiculous. I have gone out of my way to give believers a chance to put forward an argument that is not:
    1. Circular
    2. Confirmation bias (eg "god works in mysterious ways" and variants to explain the huge number of events in the world that contradict the idea of a loving god)
    3. An argument from personal incredulity (I don't know so it must be god)
    4. Applicable to any and all superstitions, confirming the great Ju Ju under the sea as much as it does Yahweh
    5. An attempt to make it look like not believing an old magic story without a shred of physical evidence takes as much faith as believing it
    6. An argument that christianity's perceived usefulness or benefit to your life (eg as a source of morality or a code by which to live your life) has some kind of bearing on whether or not its supernatural claims are true.
    7. Etc etc etc

and they have failed every single time. I have looked at the work of the apologists that believers hold in such high regard and I honestly cannot fathom why anyone listens to them. I know it's helpful to think of me as simply closed-minded and hard-hearted but I can assure you that is not the case. I would love for there to be a loving god looking over me, it sounds fantastic, and it would make my girlfriend very happy if I believed but I simply find it unconvincing. I'm sure christianity makes a lot of people happy, it can change lives and inspire people to do great things. But none of that means that a Jewish guy walked on water 2000 years ago

• Advertisement

Yes, but I also agree with Gandalf the magician on a lot of things, The mad hatter and the Cheshire cat were not far off on a few things also, and I heartily agree with a few of Supermans outlooks on life.

None of this grants even a slight modicum of credence to the notion these characters exist. Who I am actually agreeing with is the author of the text.

Given there is nothing on offer to suggest your god exists, the only conclusion left available is that you and I are agreeing with the author of the text (Bible) and not with the character therein.

The danger, of course, with assuming that you are agreeing with a god and not with an author, is that this often comes with the impression that god is right in all things. Therefore you risk possibly negating the ability to disagree with the author on anything else he says in the book, based solely on agreeing with him on others.

I'm merely explaining what I consider the mechanism of salvation to be. It is a given that we're assuming God exists for the purpose of discussion (something which Sam is doing in his objecting why it is that God has demonstrated himself to me and not to him).

Your objection need be with the mechanism posed - not with the assumption required to evaluate the mechanism posed.

Advertisement