Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LYIT Accommodation

Options
  • 21-07-2009 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to attend LYIT this September and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on accommodation?

I'm a mature student looking for an apartment/house that's walking distance to the college, as I won't be driving.
    I don't particularly want to share but don't want to be stuck too much on my own either.

I had a look at http://www.letterkennystudentaccommodation.ie/ and those apartments look okay.

I don't know letterkenny that well so any pointers are appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

have a look at daft.ie, i saw a 2 bedroom apartment on there recently for €60 a week.

students have best choice of apartments in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,895 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A couple of older posts here, here, here, here and here may help a little with accommodation and contain some thoughts on other aspects of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Try Ballyraine Halls, it's literally at the end of the road the IT is on only a 5 minute walk

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for linking to the older posts too Muffler.

I guess the best thing to do is keep looking on Daft until I can get up to Letterkenny again.

The Dealer seems to be the way to go, so I'll try and get there on a Thursday and see what's about.

I'm hoping to get something no more than 10/15 mins walk to the college (physical reasons, not laziness :)) so I'll need to travel up and get my bearings anyway.

Let the search begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Thanks for linking to the older posts too Muffler.

I guess the best thing to do is keep looking on Daft until I can get up to Letterkenny again.

The Dealer seems to be the way to go, so I'll try and get there on a Thursday and see what's about.

I'm hoping to get something no more than 10/15 mins walk to the college (physical reasons, not laziness :)) so I'll need to travel up and get my bearings anyway.

Let the search begin!
    Take a look at the community board at the checkout area in Tesco as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Try Ballyraine Halls, it's literally at the end of the road the IT is on only a 5 minute walk

Id advise against the halls to be honest, im only 20 myself and i could never put up with some of the noise and sh*t that goes on there. Better off looking at the dealer and ringing around.

I still haven't had a chance to get to Letterkenny to look for somewhere.

There are a few places on Daft that look promising though. I might post a few to get peoples opinions closer to when I'm going up.

In the mean time I came across The Grand Central Student Accommodation Apartments and was wondering what they were like.

I know you pay a premium for the convenience but I thought with refuse and internet included it might be an easier way to budget things. It would also have the advantage of being around other students.

I know a house/apartment elsewhere is potentially better value but was just wondering if Grand Central is decent enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    I don't know letterkenny that well so any pointers are appreciated.

http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/donegal/letter_over.html

Best map of Letterkenny I've seen. Slightly out of date as it lacks some of the newest estates, but v.good anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

Grand Central apartments are up a few years now.

Don't know anyone that lived there, but if it weren't for section 50, i would. ;)

It's close to most of the major shops in town and about 5 min away from main street, so it's convenient enough for that.

It's about 20 min walk from college or roughly 5 if you have a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

That map is quite old, doesnt actually have the Grand Central on it, if you click on the town centre map its located right at the end of New Link Road, right on the roundabout with Canal lane. Theres a load of new shops around there now as well, Dunnes, Marks & Spencer and about another 20 or so so its convenient for food and all your basic needs. Cinema's along that street as well.

I know someone who stayed there last year, never been in the place sober but it seemed like a decent place, much better looking than the likes of Ballyraine Halls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Grand Central websites says its a 10min walk to LYIT, I would say its more like 15mins, maybe im being picky, but 10min is a little short.

I would steer clear of the student apartments on the Port Road, heard stories of rats running around.

Ballyraine apartments are nice, but as mentioned already if you are a mature student you dont want to be stuck in the middle of 18 year olds drinking and puking everywhere.

If it were me id look to house share with non students, or 4th years, or other mature students. You could put a wanted ad seeking those type of housemates.

EDIT: weiss has already mentioned the walk to college is 20mins [my original though but said 15mins incase im just a slow walker!] and not the stated 10mins on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hey im also going to college up there, spent a while looking, but i guess im best to go view places.
    any real stay away places i should know about?

OP, did you find somewhere yet? anything you reccommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

hey im also going to college up there, spent a while looking, but i guess im best to go view places.

I'd advise going to mc gettigan leasing agents.. up past milan nightclub on main st. They found me and my man a nice place to stay on the cheap...

Thanks for all the Grand Central info. Could be a contender. Distance wise I guess it's a toss up between being closer to the town/shops etc. or a quicker trip to college in the morning.

HJL wrote:
    Ballyraine apartments are nice, but as mentioned already if you are a mature student you dont want to be stuck in the middle of 18 year olds drinking and puking everywhere.

If it were me id look to house share with non students, or 4th years, or other mature students. You could put a wanted ad seeking those type of housemates.

Could be an idea alright. I'd be going into 4th year myself. Having said that, if the 18 year olds share a few cans I could get in the spirit of things :)

I still haven't been up yet, so nothing to recommend yet. I'm hoping to get up next week, as the clock is ticking a bit at this stage. I'm hoping to get up for a Thursday so I can get a copy of The Dealer newspaper, which will have listings in it.

I've just been keeping an eye on daft.ie in the meantime.
    tatabubbly wrote:

I'd advise going to mc gettigan leasing agents.. up past milan nightclub on main st. They found me and my man a nice place to stay on the cheap...

I intend on phoning a few letting agents too once I know when I'll be there and see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'd stay away from the Lower Main Street area - Westside Apts, Riverside Apts

Although it is the other side of town from LYIT so its unlikely you'll end up there!

thanks for the info.
    im gonna head up after the cao offer's come out.

my situation is, im a 25 year old mature student, looking for somewhere decent, dont mind about price, i have a car, so distance to college doesnt bother me, but i wanna be somewhere close to walking distance or cheap taxi at drinking times :p
    i want a decent double room, en-suite, dont mind if my house mates are a little bit wild, but not 24/7 session based.
    as long as i can get ethernet internet not stupid wireless internet then ill be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Bear in mind that there is very little parking available in the college itself. There is a carpark but with so many people driving...

I think LYIT has come to an arrangement with a local church and hotel about using their parking facilities - I'm not 100% sure on this or how much additional parking is provided.

Something you might wanna look into.

hey, im just back from letterkenny, i found a nice place in the ballyraine halls.

anyone know much about it?
    seems very nicely decorated and well maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As said on the previous page, its the main student halls and its full of parties every couple of nights so if thats what you're looking for then its fine. Its a good place to meet new people and all that as well. I've got a couple of friends there and parties can go on until 7 or 8 in the morning but on the other hand its very close to the college and I'm sure you'd have your fair share of peace as long as you get decent room mates

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

I'd never recommend ballyraine halls ever!
    Has few friends who used to live there and I stayed over twice but boy both times were such a nightmare even when I was out partying myself.
    You get random strangers barging in.
    It is brilliant for partying etc but not if you want to do well enough to pass exams in my opinions. One of my friends got caught up in all partying so much that she had to repeat the whole year- rest dropped out frankly.

One of girls I know who live there is still studying and going in 3rd year though....

I'd reccomend Grand Central apartments or even ones near new dunnes which is about 15mins walk from LYIT but close enough for taxis to cost no more than a fiver after a night out :cool:

• Advertisement

XDivaX wrote: »
    Has few friends who used to live there and I stayed over twice but boy both times were such a nightmare even when I was out partying myself.
    It is brilliant for partying etc but not if you want to do well enough to pass exams in my opinions. One of my friends got caught up in all partying so much that she had to repeat the whole year- rest dropped out frankly.

One of girls I know who live there is still studying and going in 3rd year though....

I'd reccomend Grand Central apartments or even ones near new dunnes which is about 15mins walk from LYIT but close enough for taxis to cost no more than a fiver after a night out :cool:

lol oh boy. ive already paid for my deposit and first semester. i reckon ill make it through the first year, then probably move depending on what happens.
    ive rented 1 of the large twin room's with en-suite to myself. its got locks on the door, and i can put extra lock on if i want to at my own cost etc.
    seems nice, roomy, and im just praying my flatmate's are somewhat senseable. but im 25, 6ft2" and pretty beefed up lol ill knock em around if they screw around :p

lol oh boy. ive already paid for my deposit and first semester. i reckon ill make it through the first year, then probably move depending on what happens.
    ive rented 1 of the large twin room's with en-suite to myself. its got locks on the door, and i can put extra lock on if i want to at my own cost etc.
    seems nice, roomy, and im just praying my flatmate's are somewhat senseable. but im 25, 6ft2" and pretty beefed up lol ill knock em around if they screw around :p

I'm sure you'll survive!:cool: seeing as you're a bit older than my friends were at time- they were only 17-18. They might put u with another mature student because from what i heard, there is a lot of them coming this year which is brilliant!!:P

I'm sure you'll survive!:cool: seeing as you're a bit older than my friends were at time- they were only 17-18. They might put u with another mature student because from what i heard, there is a lot of them coming this year which is brilliant!!:P

the manager asked me if id like to be placed with mature students, i said tbh, im 25, 1st year, i dont go crazy etc.
    he said he'd do his best.

the manager asked me if id like to be placed with mature students, i said tbh, im 25, 1st year, i dont go crazy etc.
    he said he'd do his best.

That'd be good :D let us know how you get on.
    LYIT is a brilliant college although I might be a bit biased but most of lecturers are so approachable and always delighted to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

Just to reassure the poster who has paid their deposit in the halls, they are nowhere near as bad as some people make out. If I was reading that and only starting college I would be dreading it. Ok for the 1st week or 2 there might be a fair bit of noise but it's not like there are constant parties all through the year.
    As for people dropping out due to getting caught up in the party lifestyle, I don't think you can blame the halls for that, AFAIK LYIT has 1 of the highest dropout rates in Ireland...I'm sure they didn't all reside in the halls! You can get caught up in that lifestyle wherever you live if thats what you want!

And I trust you guys have all given your support here :)

just an update.
    i moved into ballyraine halls, AND ITS EXCELLENT!

Moved to LYIT forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

just an update.
    i moved into ballyraine halls, AND ITS EXCELLENT!
    Yeh +1 on that, deadly craic alrite!! Good decent people down there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orlam2010

Advertise somewher else.

i suggest daft.ie

regards,
    RMC.

Advertisement