Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LYIT Accommodation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

orlam2010 wrote: »
    I stayed at Ballyraine Halls for 2 years and enjoyed my time there. ....,

It doesnt have dishwashers, suitable size fridges for 3 people...and apartments are often cold....they don't retain heat to well!!
    Great management though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

I'm nearing the end of my fourth year, the first of which i've done in Letterkenny, and the advice i can give you is not to consider the flats (student accommodation) across the Port Road from the IT.
    Unless you fancy shooting your ESB bill through the roof in the hope of retrieving any ray of heat at all, or freezing going to bed at night, or constantly annoying the landlord to come and fix something (that he might have even broken in the first place). (and much more). They're located in the industrial estate area across from the college.
    All i can recommend is that you look at rooms in houses instead of these kind of accommodation. Cheaper, and better quality!
    Hope this can be of benefit to anyone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I thought those halls were shut down last year by health & safety? Pretty sure I read that somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

harps,
    i'm not sure about that, i heard that the guy who built them ran out of money n went bust or something, n he sold them onto the guy thats renting them out now. Then again, i'd well believe they were shut down for H&S reasons. Built to a poor standard! Did a quick google on it though n found nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shanmeister

Hi,
    I'm hoping to be starting a course in LYIT next September and I was wondering if I could get some advice and maybe some recommendations of places to stay next year please:D

• Advertisement

If you read back through this thread you'll get plenty of places.

What age are you, what sort of accomodation do you want etc?

Ballyraine Halls are a good place to go if you're young and wont know anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

stop recommending Ballyraine Halls, its a kip, its expensive, and its full of dicks setting off the alarms at night etc.. well thats what it was once like..

I recommend getting a room in a shared house in Ashlawn, its as close to the college as you can get...good student population but respectable little area..should be good value too..

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Yeah, I'd avoid Ballyraine Halls too, it's just horribly overpriced when compared to sharing a house. Then again it can be difficult to get into a house if you don't know anyone. That's why Ballyraine's population is largely made up of first years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Piriz wrote: »
    stop recommending Ballyraine Halls, its a kip, its expensive, and its full of dicks setting off the alarms at night etc.. well thats what it was once like..

I recommend getting a room in a shared house in Ashlawn, its as close to the college as you can get...good student population but respectable little area..should be good value too..

ballyraine this year wasn't too bad. Yeah there were a few assholes around, few cars egg'd, alarms etc, but nothing serious.

Ive heard a few horror stories about parties in ashlawn.

then again, no matter where you live, it all depends on the attitude of other students. if they are rowdy, it can ruin it on everyone.

The reason I mentioned Ballyraine is that its good for first years if you're young and dont know anyone. Obviously if you're not into parties or whatever then its not the best but its the best place to get to know people. I have a few friends there and the flats are perfectly fine if you take care of them and dont have open parties.

Some houses in Ashlawn aren't much better inside and as said above, you're risking a lot if you plan on having a party with random people just showing up and thrashing the place. Happened to a friend of mine last year and he lost his deposit

• Advertisement

Thanks for the ideas. I'm 22 and I'm hoping to start the computers development course in September. I'm just wondering should I look into getting a shared house or to go with somewhere like Ballyraine halls. I don't mind the drinkin and partys and stuff, I just want to do the course properly and pass. Will anybody who stayed in student accommodation last year be going back again this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shanemitchell1

Hi,

I am going to college in LYIT this September (2010) and looking to get a room in a house near the college. I am 26 and have finished a course in Carlow IT a few years ago where I stayed in a 10 room house and loved it. Have been working and travelling around the world since and really dont want to stay in one of the halls with a load of 18 year olds just finished the Leaving cert, in an apartment that gets inspected every few weeks.

Can any one tell me the contact details of a land lord in Lettekenny that lets out rooms to students? I have looked at Daft.ie and only see summer rentals up at the moment, and I have asked the college and got no reply.

I would like to sort this out before I start on my trip home where I will be out of contact for the best part of 2 months.

Any help you be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

If any of you looking for accomodation have a car I'd advise looking for an apartment out of town a bit. Most housing estates now haven1 or 2 bedroom apartments joined on to a semi detached house. I know a few girls in my class were in student accomodation and they found it difficult to get study and assignments done and often got very little sleep. Pm me for my landlords number he would hav appartments in various places in the town. House share is good too but you really have to get to know people first for this in my opinion. I've had some dodgy housemates in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 aaahhh

I would not recommend that anyone stay at grand central apartments. my mates and i had really bad experiences staying there. the manager walks into the flats without giving notice whenever he feels like it, he gives out fines for everything, he doesnt give back deposits even if you leave the flat in perfect condition, he is a very unreasonable person to have to deal with. the flat are nice but the landlord makes them not worth it. the internet is crap and the flats can get really cold and to heat them up is quite expensive. i definitely think that they are not worth the hassle.

So what would my best bet be for accommodation in sept guys? If anybody out there interested in trying to rent a house let me know. I'm 22 so I'm not a party animal or anything:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I know this is not much use you anyone outside the county, but there is a free-ads paper up here, called "The Dealer". It comes out every Thursday. It's a really good source for anyone seeking accommodation, flats, house-share etc.

I live in Letterkenny, and I'm hoping to get a place this year (mature-student), so if there is anything I can help you with, just ask!

I'll pick up "The Dealer" tonight, and if there is anything specific that you want to know, send me a PM.

I've picked up this weeks "Dealer", so if you're interested in somewhere in particular, PM me with an email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

aaahhh wrote: »
    I would not recommend that anyone stay at grand central apartments. my mates and i had really bad experiences staying there. the manager walks into the flats without giving notice whenever he feels like it, he gives out fines for everything, he doesnt give back deposits even if you leave the flat in perfect condition, he is a very unreasonable person to have to deal with. the flat are nice but the landlord makes them not worth it. the internet is crap and the flats can get really cold and to heat them up is quite expensive. i definitely think that they are not worth the hassle.

My son is planning on heading there in September, I heard rumours that the heating issue was fixed recently, was this not the case? Where you staying there recently or a few years ago? And what sense is the broadband crap?

Anyone who gets an offer from LYIT, will receive a letter from Admissions with some useful accommodation info.

For anyone who may be out of the country atm, here's the contents:
    Should you need to organise accommodation in Letterkenny, you may be interested to know that a Student Union approved accommodation list will be available via the SU from the end of July. Tel. Deirdre Devine, S.U. Welfare Officer, (074) 918 6826. We will send this on to you at a later stage.

BTW - registration (for first year computers) will be on Monday 13th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Hey my 3rd year in LTKY. If you like to party alot head for the Ashlawn estate, rent is cheap, 50 a week and your sorted. Dont go nar whitethorn to far away and you wont get parked if you drive. The student appartments opposite the collage are a dive, stay away. Any questions anyone pm me no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chickah

aaahhh wrote: »

I'm going to LYIT in Sept to do my add on year and finish my degree, I did the first three years in Dundalk, I'm 22 and I've been looking at living in the Grand Central apartments,going to view them on Friday, but they seem to be getting mixed reviews on here and from whats said above I'm having second thoughts :eek: Anybody else got any thoughts on grand central? is it a good or a bad spot?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Chickah wrote: »
    I'm going to LYIT in Sept to do my add on year and finish my degree, I did the first three years in Dundalk, I'm 22 and I've been looking at living in the Grand Central apartments,going to view them on Friday, but they seem to be getting mixed reviews on here and from whats said above I'm having second thoughts :eek: Anybody else got any thoughts on grand central? is it a good or a bad spot?? :confused:

they're ok, untill you go to move out. we lived there, and when we moved out, we spent 13hours cleaning the apartment, the place was spotless (through my eyes), but he came in saying **** like "it doesn't smell clean" etc. We were so tired we said "get the cleaners in to ****!". they aparently spent 4.5 hours cleaning the place (god knows what they were doing, the place was cleaner than when we got it!) also had to replace some sheets etc. Ended up being minus nearly €200from deposit. not cool.

And about the broadband, i'm not sure if it's been fixed, but when we were there it used to be very unreliable, going down every other day and the speeds were laughable.

However, in saying all this, the apartments were nice, clean etc. People seemed to keep somewhat to themselves (apart from meeting people in the halls coming back from a club!). Kinda miss the place tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chickah

lila44 wrote: »
    However, in saying all this, the apartments were nice, clean etc. People seemed to keep somewhat to themselves (apart from meeting people in the halls coming back from a club!). Kinda miss the place tbh!

I went up the other day and thought it was pretty nice, good enough walk to the college though! but i don't mind that!:rolleyes: Think I'm gonna give them a go and see how I get on! At least there fairly private and as long as the ones I'm moving in with are sound, i'll not mind too much!:p
    lila44 wrote: »
    they're ok, untill you go to move out. we lived there, and when we moved out, we spent 13hours cleaning the apartment, the place was spotless (through my eyes), but he came in saying **** like "it doesn't smell clean" etc. We were so tired we said "get the cleaners in to ****!". they aparently spent 4.5 hours cleaning the place (god knows what they were doing, the place was cleaner than when we got it!) also had to replace some sheets etc. Ended up being minus nearly €200from deposit. not cool.

Defo not cool!:mad: I'd be ragin!!:mad: but hopefully it won't come to that! Thanks for the advice and feedback Lila!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cocoxloco

whats the apartments like on walnut grove?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Buttercup18

the apartments in walnut grove are really nice... but there is usually a waiting list to get into them and this close to the college term I cant see you being able to get one.... Im going into fourth year nursing and in first year I lived in ballyraine halls which are great for meeting people, but not so good if you have to study!! So depending on what course your doing they might not be ideal!! This year I'm living in grand central apartments, there really nice, clean and close to everything, maybe give them a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cocoxloco

the apartments in walnut grove are really nice... but there is usually a waiting list to get into them and this close to the college term I cant see you being able to get one.... Im going into fourth year nursing and in first year I lived in ballyraine halls which are great for meeting people, but not so good if you have to study!! So depending on what course your doing they might not be ideal!! This year I'm living in grand central apartments, there really nice, clean and close to everything, maybe give them a look.
    Thanks Buttercup :). I actually got a place there last week they seem really nice. I am going into first year nursing ! delighted. Do you know when the registration packets are being sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Buttercup18

cocoxloco wrote: »
    Thanks Buttercup :). I actually got a place there last week they seem really nice. I am going into first year nursing ! delighted. Do you know when the registration packets are being sent out?

Check your private mail!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 laniganoath

hey im a first year student looking for accommodation doing computer games development,im 19 and like partying now and again but need some where quiet to study because i dont want to repeat yea no.so any ideas!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hey im a first year student looking for accommodation doing computer games development,im 19 and like partying now and again but need some where quiet to study because i dont want to repeat yea no.so any ideas!:)

i lived in ballyraine. the apartments are very nice, and management are great too.

It was a party area, but if your housemates are decent, then you can party and also have your study time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 laniganoath

yea i seen them they look really nice.ha yea dont mind the partying and all just want to take this coarse seriously and not get wasted to much.yea i dont want to leave it up to luck if i get sound room mates and that.

Advertisement