Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

• 03-03-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think its about time us Limericians had our own thread here for posting news, rumours and opinion on all the goings on in the always entertaining world of Luimneach CLG! There's certainly enough Limerick fans (and some wannabe ones in Clare ;)) to warrant this superthread.
    • Many of you have already given your opinions on the hurling fiasco with support for the striking players seemingly thin on the grounds round these parts. If Justin does go, how do see the returning players fairing in this summer's championship?
    • And what of the footballers? Can they realistically do the double, in gaining promotion from Division 4 while going on to finally take Munster in July?

The embattled senior hurlers have a break this weekend, their next outing being against Waterford in Fraher Field, Dungarvan on Sunday week. With Bruree's James O'Brien having returned to the fold and rumours of Gavin O'Mahoney and Dinny Moloney intention of rejoining the panel, things are looking a little brighter at least for Justin McCarthy.

The senior footballers also have the weekend off and are not down to play in Division 4 of the League again until Saturday week when they host Waterford at the Gaelic Grounds.

This coming Wednesday 10th March, attention turns to the U21 footballers who tackle Clare in the same venue in the Munster Quarter Final. The game is a repeat of last years quarter final which saw the Banner prevail by 1-10 to 0-6 in Miltown Malbay. We have 8 of last years panel including seniors Ian Ryan, Cormac Joyce-Power, Eoin Joy and Bobby O'Brien. The team is captained by Fr Casey's John Riordan and managed by Maurice Horan from Na Piarsaigh.
    The U21 squad in full is as follows:

John Browne (Fr Caseys), Donal Byrne (Monaleen), Eoin Fitzgibbon (Oola), Eoin Halligan (Galbally), Sean Hartnett (Fr Caseys), Eoin Joy (Fr Caseys), James Kelly (Newcastlewest), Enna Kennedy (Ahane), Keel Maloney (Kilcornan), Joe Martin (Glin), Sean McAuliffe (Newcastlewest), Michael McCormack (Mungret), Eoin McEnery (Fr Caseys), Paraic McEnery (Fr Caseys), Tony McMahon (Pallasgreen), Bobby O’Brien (Bruff), Seamus O’Carroll (Cappagh), Eoin O’Connor (St Mary’s/Sean Finns), Cormac Joyce-Power (Ahane), Damien Quaide (St Mary’s/Sean Finns), John Riordan, Capt (Fr Caseys), Ian Ryan (St Senans), Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffins), Tim Scanlon (Glin), Patrick Sheehan (St Mary’s/Sean Finns), Brian Treacy (Mungret), David Ward (Fr Caseys).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

James O'Brien has rejoined yer panel. As a Clareman, I don't see the current issue to being the same as the one we faced last year. Mike Mac did not improve our inter county performances.

This debacle is entirely with the players imo. From what I've heard, some senior players have issues with management purely due to ego's being too big.. whether it's not wanting to be told what to do or feeling like they are entitled to play every match, senior players ego's are the problem. I would be more understanding if they achieved any success at senior level.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Yeah has anybody confirmation on who is definitely coming back? Come on lads for the sake of the supporters...................COME ON.....Some sense please..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

With James O'Brien back I reckon others of the strikers will follow.
    James Ryan has been fantastic so far for the footballers so I hope the dual players focus on winning a Munster football medal rather than hurling this year.

I've also heared a rumor that Conor Fitzgerald is back training? Would be great to see him back in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Gavin o mahoney is definetly coming back soon anyways. Heard from a reliable source :). Good to hear. Just what limerick hurling needs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Haven't heard the rumours of Gav coming back but i hope so along with hickey and a few others.Need this situation to be sorted out fast or division 2 hurling awaits us.Offaly and Dublin are games we can win so hopefully the boys will be back for them.Hopefully some of the traitors stay away ...i can safely say ill vomit if i see certain players wearing the green jersey again.CARRY ON JUSTIN!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

the latest rhumour doing the rounds is, at the end of the year justin mc carthy will not have his contract renewed, tj ryan will be coach, the old gang will then return.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

flutered wrote: »
    the latest rhumour doing the rounds is, at the end of the year justin mc carthy will not have his contract renewed, tj ryan will be coach, the old gang will then return.

Total Non-Sense if you ask me, Justin Should/will get a contract at end of the year and if not im quietly assured J.P will tell Limerick Gaa to F-off...and Tj that man cannot commentate on live 95fm objectively yet you expect me to believe that he will coach some of the players he so clearly resents...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Total Non-Sense if you ask me, Justin Should/will get a contract at end of the year and if not im quietly assured J.P will tell Limerick Gaa to F-off...and Tj that man cannot commentate on live 95fm objectively yet you expect me to believe that he will coach some of the players he so clearly resents...
    +1 on that.

I don't expect the Co Board to oust Justin and i do think he will get a contract extenstion. Money talks and JP has lots of it. I sincerely hope that the likes of big head Lucey doesn't get his way, and that the majority of the striking players come back into the fold.

Gavin o mahoney is definetly coming back soon anyways. Heard from a reliable source :). Good to hear. Just what limerick hurling needs at the moment.

Yeah you heard it from me, first post at the top of the page luv :p
    eroo wrote: »
    James O'Brien has rejoined yer panel
    first post, top of the page ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

I want the hurlers back playing as much as anyone and whilst they are far from the victims in all of this the buck stops with the county board.anyone who has read unlimited heartbreak will vouch for this.

James o'brien returning to limerick is a victory of sorts for the LCB who for the past 4/5 months have buried their heads in the sand on the matter.The same crew who ignored the issue at board meetings and have done nothing to help out the seniors or indeed other teams when it was most needed going back years.Might I add the same CB who spread lies that players were coming back several months ago.

If all the players go back Limerick hurling will have learned nothing from this mess and in 4/5 years time we will be facing another crisis all over again.

I wouldnt mind if JP went.JP is our biggest fan who I have good time for but he is putting money into a farcical administration who dont seem to have the first clue as to what they are doing.

Lets see how the CB get on without having a wealthy backer to call on.kilkenny and tyrone dont have a JP like sponsor to call on but that doesnt stop them being successful.

Its time for change in Limerick.We want people acting on whats best for the GAA community as a whole.No officers elected unless they are bringing in new ideas and initiatives.No parents or relatives allowed be involved in management if there is a conflict of interest.All divisions being encouraged to play hurling.Encouraging new blood to take up positions at board level.

Although in a county like Limerick this is asking for too much.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Yeah you heard it from me, first post at the top of the page luv :p

you said "rumours".

I was just verifying :)

you said "rumours".

I was just verifying :)

I'm sorry, i didn't realise you were talking to me again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

This could be the end of it. The trickle will become a stream as other players will return. There will be peace on the Shannon once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ye couldn't tell them to hold off coming back a few weeks until after the Waterford game;)

Joking aside it would be good to see a decent Limerick team again. Hurling needs as many competitive teams as possible

deisedude wrote: »
    Ye couldn't tell them to hold off coming back a few weeks until after the Waterford game;)

Joking aside it would be good to see a decent Limerick team again. Hurling needs as many competitive teams as possible
    Waterford need have no worry, even if all or most of last years panel are back before the championship starts, they've done no training together. Unlike Cork hurlers when they went on strike who actually organised training and get-together sessions, but then again Cork were a serious almost professional outfit. We're just a pack of jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lads whats the story at all? On AFR they are saying James Ryan isn't going back to the panel at all now:confused:

Lads whats the story at all? On AFR they are saying James Ryan isn't going back to the panel at all now:confused:
    i've heard two differing stories regarding James Ryan. I heard from a source in January that James Ryan was committing exclusively to the footballers this year and in the same month i heard he was going to play both codes this year. From a Limerick point of view, he was our only find of last year for the hurlers and he highly impressed me with the footballers in 2008. I'd prefer to see him concentrate on the football, really missed him last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

It was James o'Brien that was meant to be going back.More CB spin by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

grenache wrote: »
    +1 on that.

I don't expect the Co Board to oust Justin and i do think he will get a contract extenstion. Money talks and JP has lots of it. I sincerely hope that the likes of big head Lucey doesn't get his way, and that the majority of the striking players come back into the fold.
    What ****e are you talking. What gives you the impression that Lucey has a big head. Do you have facts to back up what your saying, id love to hear a few.You should look closer to home to the likes of BIG HEAD "MARK FOLEY" Its about time he got the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tiernanmul_gos

lads any set date and venue for the harty cup replay? i was at the first match and the replay yesterday and they were two brilliant hurling games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I haven't heard yet, but I remember reading an acount of the first game in the Echo which would suggest that it will not a match to be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tiernanmul_gos

ShamoBuck wrote: »
    I haven't heard yet, but I remember reading an acount of the first game in the Echo which would suggest that it will not a match to be missed.
    the latest im hearing is either tuesday night in gaelic grounds or wednesday night in semploe stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Bad news for the footballers,I hear that Stephen Lavin has a shoulder injury that could put him out for the rest of the season. :(

According to the irish daily mail, 16 of the 23 striking hurlers went training last night. And since o brien returned to the panel, the other hurlers have vowed to not return under mccarthy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It looks like this will run for the duration of the league. Hopefully for all concerned it will be sorted come the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The way things stand is if it aint sorted tomorrow night it never will be sorted. The players said the future of limerick hurling is in the clubs hands well I would have thought it was in their hands. Sick of all this. They seem to only make statements before crucial co board meetings.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

According to the irish daily mail, 16 of the 23 striking hurlers went training last night. And since o brien returned to the panel, the other hurlers have vowed to not return under mccarthy.

I wonder did Ollie Moran, Mark Foley, Donie Ryan, Damien Cosgrove, Mike O Brien train? All good servants - however their time has passed & wouldn't be involved under any management.
    Don't think anything will be sorted tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

lads any set date and venue for the harty cup replay? i was at the first match and the replay yesterday and they were two brilliant hurling games

2.30 Thursday in Nenagh again AFAIK

TheWarrior wrote: »
    I wonder did Ollie Moran, Mark Foley, Donie Ryan, Damien Cosgrove, Mike O Brien train? All good servants - however their time has passed & wouldn't be involved under any management.
    Don't think anything will be sorted tonight

well it said that the players that didn't attend all had genuine reasons for not training that night. So if they didn't go, it sounded like they would have if possible. But you can never trust those papers wording at times :P

and yep premier, looks like it'll be on thursday at 2.30 in nenagh :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I wouldn't believe anything in that paper Soccy.

Any truth in the rumours that Hickey is going off travelling for the summer and thats why he's not playing under McCarthy does anyone know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement