Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of Boat do you paddle???

Options
  • 06-02-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

What boat/boats do you usually paddle?

I could make a poll but theres too many types!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I paddle K1 or K2 racing boats usually . . .

Sometimes i mess about on a weir in a creek boat, when the waters high . . .

And the occasional trip in a wavehopper!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

I paddle K1 or K2 racing boats usually . . .

Sometimes i mess about on a weir in a creek boat, when the waters high . . .

And the occasional trip in a wavehopper!

;)

What sort of K1 do you have?

a long pointy fast one, called a nelo vanquish . . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

a long pointy fast one, called a nelo vanquish . . . ;)

its a pity you can't paddle it fast!

Dutchie wrote: »
    its a pity you can't paddle it fast!

Is that what you think of all thomastown paddlers??? :D

Wait til the season starts!!!:D

Donegal: 3 weeks to go!!!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

haha i guess i'll just have to save

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

A sit on top frenzy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Bliss Stick Mac1, not that I've been paddling it much the last while.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

an old town canadian and also do some sea kayaking but had to buy a new laptop instead of a boat:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I think we're confused in our house, we've 9 different kayaks in the shed :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I have a bic ouassou and a madrivercanoe adventure 14 .As we just go hopping weirs for fun , we will use anything that floats from sitons to old fiberglass canoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I think we're confused in our house, we've 9 different kayaks in the shed :-(

Your oh so lucky there...... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

usually a juice, outlaw or other similar river runner

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I'm a huge fan of the outlaw for river-running. Good for surfing too!
    What I really want is a Burn, though it seems that everyone else does too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Necky Jive on rivers. Good compromise between river runner and playboat, very happy with it.
    Perception Carolina on the sea. Almost as wide as it is long but comfortable for long paddles in any conditions and with lots of storage. A good solid choice for a first boat but would probably trade up at this stage if I could manage more time on the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

A Dagger Nomad and a Jackson All-Star :D (GP Boats)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

When paddling with my mates either playboating or running smaller white water rivers, a perception spin. The last ever playboat made by perception and if you can fit in it quite possibly the best small playboat ever! When instructing usually paddle a mamba 8.0 and when running big rivers usually a mamba 7.5.

Come from a family of paddlers so usually have a big choice of boats! On last count about 10 plastic boats and 3 fibreglass in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

@ Truckle.. What's the Nomad like? I've been in a Mamba a few times and an older pyrahna burn. I like the mamba but for some reason a nomad (which i've never been in so don't have a clue how they are for a relative novice like myself) is the one i'm drawn to puchasing. Mrs Crash has her eye on a Mamba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Mega Vanquish
    riot Inferno

Hi Gatecrash, The nomad is a full on roundy hulled creek boat (for steep pool drop type rivers, like the clare glens), it's pyranha equivalent is the karnali. The Burn and the Mamba are planing hulled river running boats (for rivers like the annamoe, glen mac nass, upper liffey), so they are quite different. The nomad's hull has pretty much been designed to be as predictable and forgiving as possible, and it has all the safety features a full on creek boat should have (step-out solid centre pillar, loads of grab loops). However its a very different style of paddling to boats like the mamba or the burn, which are less forgiving, but have the benefits of having a boat with rails (wich means edging has a much more dramatic effect on how the boat handles).

I'm no expert on the gear, but imo that there is no way the mamba is 200 euros better then a burn, or the Nomad is 200 euros better then the Karnali.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

:pac:River run and creek in a Wavesport habitat and playboat in a Riot Flair - Family fun in a 17 foot Coleman canadian

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

Nelo Vanquish 3

brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi Gatecrash, The nomad is a full on roundy hulled creek boat (for steep pool drop type rivers, like the clare glens), it's pyranha equivalent is the karnali. The Burn and the Mamba are planing hulled river running boats (for rivers like the annamoe, glen mac nass, upper liffey), so they are quite different. The nomad's hull has pretty much been designed to be as predictable and forgiving as possible, and it has all the safety features a full on creek boat should have (step-out solid centre pillar, loads of grab loops). However its a very different style of paddling to boats like the mamba or the burn, which are less forgiving, but have the benefits of having a boat with rails (wich means edging has a much more dramatic effect on how the boat handles).

I'm no expert on the gear, but imo that there is no way the mamba is 200 euros better then a burn, or the Nomad is 200 euros better then the Karnali.

:)

Hi Knox Purring Self-denial,

Without any diss respect ment allot of what you said is mixed up and incorrect.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

I think Truckle has made a few good points and they are his opinion, everyone has one and are entitled to them. I think it would be best to post your own opinions otherwise it may discourage people from posting their views;););););););)

Hi Truckle,

Without any diss respect ment allot of what you said is mixed up and incorrect.

Adrian

I don't think it's fair to make a sweeping comment like that without explaining yourself. Reading over my post, The only inaccuracy is that I implied that the karnali has a full on displacement hull like the nomad, as opposed to a softened planing hull. I would consider it pyranha's competition with he nomad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I have a Riot Disco and a Dagger Vertigo

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

A dagger GT. Great for white water, surfing and river running. Borrow one for long flatwater kayaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Have a Bic Bilbao, but feel to need to migrate to a proper kayak at this stage! Possibly a dagger of some sort so if you guys have one in mind lemme know!

Advertisement