Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

J C wrote: »
    ... how about here:-

"Taking the first part of the theory, that evolution has occurred, it says that the history of life is a single process of species-splitting and progression. This process must be unique and unrepeatable, like the history of England. This part of the theory is therefore a historical theory, about unique events, and unique events are, by definition, not part of science, for they are unrepeatable and so not subject to test." Evolution (1978) pp.145-146

... which part of the words "not part of science" in the above quote do you not understand?

Where was ANY of the above in the original quote you supplied?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64455322&postcount=20899

Furthermore, given the above DIFFERENT quote is saying that unique species splitting in history is not part of science because they are unrepeatable. The explosion of the Heroshima Atomic bomb is unique and unrepeatable since the actual city as it existed at that time is unreplecatable. But that does NOT mean that Atomic Bombs are not repeataBLE NOR DOES IT MEAN that species splitting isn't just that that specific one in history was unique!

The original quote you supplied didn't mention anything about that "unique history" above.
    ...now we are getting the 'red herrings' and the 'Spaghetti Monsters' thrown in!!!:.

this is what you originally stated:
    These laws are an anachronism ... and they need to be reframed to treat ALL religions EQUALLY ...

It is NOT a red herring to ask you then why then shouldn't Islam Atheism hinduism or flying Spaghetti mosnter religions have EQUAL timne in schools as you are suggesting!

....just the folowing link from the same wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric_model

It says:-
    "In astronomy, the geocentric model (also known as "geocentrism, "geocentricism," or the Ptolemaic view of the universe), is the theory, now superseded, that the Earth is the center of the universe and other objects go around it. Belief in this system was common in ancient Greece. It was embraced by both Aristotle (see Aristotelian physics) and Ptolemy, and most, but not all, Ancient Greek philosophers assumed that the Sun, Moon, stars, and naked eye planets circle the Earth. Similar ideas were held in ancient China"

...so even though Aristarchus thought that the Earth orbited the Sun ... I am STILL correct to say ...that the REAL 'godless' theory, as you term it, was the Geocentric Theory of the Pagan Ancient Greeks (Aristotle and Ptolemy)...
    as was the heliocentric theory of the pagan ancient Greeks

and it was Christian Creation Scientists (Copernicus, Galileo and Kepler)

copernicus was in fact edited by a Lutheran monk Osiander who CHANGED the interpretation and to reflect accepted geocentric schema.

By the way it was also geokeneticism as well as helocentrism which was the prevailing theory.

who proved the current Heliocentric Model.

No! Actually they didn't! Copernicus only outlines the geocentric theory and doesn't prove it. What he says is "who but god would put a lamp anywhere but at the centre of a room" Galileo proposes a dichotomy in "on two worlds" but it is a false dichotomy and the jesuits (for example Scheiner who advised the Holy Inquisition) already knew about the Tychonic system which even today could not be disproved by naked eye observation alone.

...equally, I am correct in saying that the Roman Catholic Church went with the conventional 'science' of the time

Actually you would be incorrect! Galileo's problem was with academics who were not as clever as him! Peripathetic philosophers (with an emphasis on the pathetic:)). In fact Galileo was a good friend of the former Pope. Also the chuirch were aware of a THIRD system - the Tychonic one!
    and stuck by the erroneous Pagan Greek Geocentric Model right up to the 18th Century ...

Not really they ofically only accepted glaileo at the ebnd of the 20th century but had changed centuries before in practice. i mean wher do you think the Vatican Observatory came from?

[quote= http://vaticanobservatory.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=161
    In its historical roots and traditions the Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world. For the first foreshadowing of the Observatory can be traced to the constitution by Pope Gregory XIII of a committee to study the scientific data and implications involved in the reform of the calendar which occurred in 1582.
    [/quote]
    and they appear to be making the same mistake NOW on the origins issue ... where the Roman Catholic Church seems to be aligning itself AGAIN with the Ancient Greeks by apparently officially favouring the Evolution Model.

By favouring the REASON and SCIENCE and rational model!
    ...read your OWN link which actually confirms what I have already said about this issue:-
    His (Aristarchus) astronomical ideas were rejected in favor of the geocentric theories of Aristotle and Ptolemy until they were successfully revived nearly 1800 years later by Copernicus and extensively developed and built upon by Johannes Kepler and Isaac Newton Who were all Creation Scientists, I might add.

You are aware Newton was a Arian heretic who didnt believe in the Trinity?
    www.isaac-newton.org/heretic.pdf
    Yet you still claim him as one of your own?
    ...so the ignorance of both history and fact is entirely on YOUR side young man!!!!
    ... please read your own links !!!:D

and you accept the guy in history who denied the Trinity?

Good for you you accept science and mathematics as SEPARATE from personal belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

iUseVi wrote: »
    ^^

RepublicEagle == DogmaticLefty? :eek:

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

monosharp wrote: »
    PDN, Fanny, any-other-sane-christian-lurkers, I know you're here reading this, are you going to step in here yourselves ?

Almost ALL major churches in the world have no problem with evolution JC. YECs are a very minor insignificant minority of unimportant fundamentalists.
    ...Saved Christians are indeed a vary small ... but very IMPORTANT minority. We are the Salt of the Earth ... and the Light of the World!!!

...speaking as somebody with extensive contacts within the 'mainstream' Churches I can confirm that they are 'broad churches' ... and their members have views on the 'origins question' that range from 'Young Earth Creationists' to 'Materialistic Evolutionists' ... and everything in-between.

It's not as 'black and white' as you would like to portray it ... and like I have said before the Roman Catholic Church is still OFFICIALLY a Creationist Church ... with an official Creed that starts with the words "I believe in God the Father CREATOR of Heaven and Earth"

... I am sure there will be a reaction within the Roman Catholic Church membership to the idea that THEIR 4 year olds are to be compulsorily taught Materialistic Evolution courtesy of lobbying by that great 'friend' of Christianity Prof Richard Dawkins and the BHA!!!:eek:

...many people have left the Roman Catholic Church, particularly in Latin America and have joined other churches because of the ambiguous positon of the Vatican on the 'origins question' and the Genesis Account of Creation.

I don't think that the Vatican will want to add to this particular exodus by aligning itself too closely alongside the BHA on this issue ... but, of course, I could be wrong!!!

...I also find it somewhat ironic that when 300 Atheists get 'the pants beaten off' themselves by ONE Creation Scientist ... they run like scalded cats to another Christian pleading with him to 'save their blushes'!!!!!:eek:

It is like the Philistines pleading with the Israelites to kill David because of what he did to Goliath and because David had TRUTHFULLY remarked that the rest of the Israelites were afraid of the Philistines!!!:eek:

Your very much correct in saying science and religion can co-exist, but not when your a YEC.
    ...it is Atheism and Christianity that have NOTHING in common ... indeed it is also true that Atheism and science cannot co-exist ... when the atheists hold to ideas like Pondslime 'lifting itself up by it's own bootstraps' to become Man ...
    ... the four year olds that they plan to brainwash with this stuff probably wouldn't even believe it!!!!!!

Ordinary Operative Science works fine for everbody ... it is just the wilder speculations of Atheists and assorted Materialists that Creation Scientists feel obliged to challenge ... with logic and truth!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

doctoremma wrote: »

Is it unfair to say that no matter to what resolution scientists uncovered a transition from one species to another, you would still try to define them as separate and distinct categories? Honestly, could we ever win this one?
    Can't remember who it was, maybe Scofflaw, but one of the guys that used to post on this thread said something like "if you call everything red or blue then pretty soon you create the missing purple problem." I like that.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

... indeed it is Atheism and science that cannot co-exist ... :

Oh boy. I give up all hope. No more reading of this thread for me, its bad for the health.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

iUseVi wrote: »
    Oh boy. I give up all hope. No more reading of this thread for me, its bad for the health.
    Just put JC on ignore. I did it over a year ago and it works great. Of course, you still some bits of his posts through other peoples quotes, but you don't have to view the utter rubbish in its raw form. There is so much good information coming out in this thread, not from the creationists obviously, that it would be a shame to stop looking at the thread.

MrP

Galvasean wrote: »
    Frankly, I am offended by your hypocrisy.
    ... an Evolutionist talking about hypocracy is like an alcoholic talking about drink!!!!:D

... its something that they know intimately from years of practice!!!:D

oceanclub wrote: »
    You really are clutching at straws here; it's rather pathetic.

P.
    ...you're the one clutching at straws ... and you wouldn't even have a straw to clutch at ... if you were depending on 'evolution' to provide it!!!:eek::):D

• Advertisement

Information is meaningless, genetically.
    ... all information is meaningful ... that why it is information!!!

... and BTW the reason that Evolutionist 'gobbledy gook' isn't information ... is because it isn't meaningful ... or logical ... or informative ... or functional ... or coherent ....
    ... and these are all facets of useful information ... including genetic information!!!:eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

... an Evolutionist talking about hypocracy is like an alcoholic talking about drink!!!!:D

Actually they do talk about alcohol a lot. Ever heard of AA?
    J C wrote:
    ... its something that they know intimately from years of practice!!!:D

I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of alcoholics. I know you only jest, but a lot of people have relatives who struggle with this condition and would appreciate it if you didn't make light of teh problem in a (what is meant to be) a serious discussion thread.

edit: I'll comment on that big Archaeopteryx post soon. Need to stock up with some food first as I'm just home from work.
    Finally, all this palaeontology information coming in handy! :D

And you didn't address my point. Mutations can be beneficial, harmful or neutral. The vast majority are neutral. "Information" does not enter into question.
    ...of course information is involved ... genetic information to be precise ... and mutagenesis ALWAYS degrades genetic information ... and that is WHY every sane person (including Evolutionists) AVOIDS Mutagenesis!!!:eek:

...just have a look at this mutation generator and the effect it has on INFORMATION ... go on push the button even 10 times and see NOTHING but HARM being done to the information in the sentence!!!

http://www.randommutation.com/

... and that is what Mutagenesis is doing to your genome ... and the only thing limiting the damage is the automatic damage repair systems in your cells ... that are themselves Intelligently Designed!!!:D:eek:

The original topic of this thread has been hijacked by sceptics and critics who are very keen on ridiculing people who come along and challenge their views,I am not just referring to myself,but a lot of other members.It seems that the sceptics here would have nothing to discuss if people weren't offering material for them to scrutinise.There should be a mod monitoring this thread in the appropiate manner.Evolution is not the topic here nor is scientific theory,Darwinism,Atheism,Geology.What the hell are the mods here doing?
    ...I think in fairness these subjects all impinge on the topic of Creationism.

...and I prefer to stand my ground as a man against these guys, than to run crying to the mods every time an Atheist says 'boo' to me.

...in fact, it is always the Atheists who go 'running back to their mammies' to 'lick their wounds' and complain about ME!!! :eek::D

When your views are based on nothing but the nonsensical rantings of fundamentally blinded fools who don't accept some of the best understood science human beings have because they want to interpret their religion in such a way that makes it completely contradictory to human understanding and basic common sense, then yes, yes your views should be ridiculed.
    ... eh ... em ... could you even begin by DEFINING 'evolution' for me ...
    .... and a definition that holds some potential to account for the astronomical CSI transition from 'Pondkind to Mankind' would be welcome ... to save your embarassment for Evolution ... and my embarassment for YOU!!!:eek::)

I came across this article on the Dawkins.net forum. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it sounds interesting.

Paleontology and Creationism Meet but Don’t Mesh

From what I gather it's an account about the day 70 palaeontologists decided to visit the Creation Museum in Kentucky.
    ... a balanced and fair article.

The guys seemed very interested ... it's a measure of where cutting edge Creation Science is going ...
    ...nobody can stop the march of progress ... and these guys know it!!!!

Quote from the article:
    I’m speechless,” said Derek E.G. Briggs, director of the Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale, who walked around with crossed arms and a grimace. “It’s rather scary.”
    There is no need for anybody to be scared ... the dangerous Dinosaurs died out thousands of years ago ... although, come to think of it, the Rhino is dangerous ... and still alive!!!:D:)

Do you have any intention of answering my questions to you re: transitional fossils?

Did you even look at the Wiki entry. Here it is again if you missed it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitional_fossil

What do you think of the Archaeopteryx fossil? Does it fulfil your criteria for a transitional fossil? If not, why not?
    ...Emma honey bun, the Archaeopteryx was a BIRD!!!!
    ... and it is 'transitional' between one Archaeopteryx BIRD and another one ... and nothing else!!!:D

... have you stopped puking BTW?

... could I interest you in a little soul salvation, perhaps?

Let's stick to the argument at hand! Evolution has nothing to do with atheism. Evolution is just evolution. Darwin new that.Yellow card for messing.
    ...I guess that is why Darwin thought that his theory could wipe out Christianity???

Look, Materialistic Evolution makes the leading Atheist on the planet feel intellectually fulfilled ... so I have spoken the truth...for all the World to hear!!

... that Evolution is THE key concept propping up the Materialist worldview!!!!

... and the argument at hand VERY MUCH has to do with the link between Atheism and Evolutionism

...why do you think that nearly 300 Atheists have clambered onto this thread ... it certainly wasn't to argue over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin!!!!

... I think if you are to 'yellow card' anybody ... you should consider 'yellow carding' the Atheists who continue to call me a liar ... when all I am doing is pointing out the invalidity of their fallacies!!!!

The Holy Spirit is telling me that the following verse is appropriate:-
    Joh 18:19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.
    20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
    21 Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said.
    22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?
    23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

So Fanny, if I have spoken evil please point out the evil ... but if I have spoken true why do you hit me with a 'yellow card''?

From wikipedia;

In biology, evolution is change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations. Evolution has therefore been described as "descent with modification". Although the changes produced in a single generation are normally small, the accumulation of these differences over time can cause substantial changes in a population, causing the emergence of new species.[1] Similarities among species suggest that all known species are descended from a common ancestor through this process of gradual divergence.
    ...this accounts for the 'genetic drift' observed WITHIN Created Kinds ... using pre-existing CSI ... but it doesn't explain how the mega-bits of CSI could arise spontaneously...in order to 'evolve' Chlamydia into Carpenters!!!:eek::D

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Seriously mate, either respond to the links I provided proving your statements about evolution wrong or retract your statements. It's not our fault that you don't understand evolution and it doesn't show any kind of superiority complex to point out your errors.
    ...leave RepublicanEagle alone ... and go pick on somebody bigger than you ... like ME!!!:eek::D

• Advertisement

Skin pigmentation? Height? Characteristic facial features?
    ...just examples of pre-existing genetic diversity which was in the CSI infused at Creation!!!:)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    No I wouldn't. To pick one random example, there are more than 80,000 types of spider
    ...and they are ALL still Spiders!!!:D

...with none of them showing any potential to EVER become an Evolutionist!!!:D

Modern humans evolved from archaic Homo sapiens, who evolved from Homo erectus.
    Mt 19:3 ¶ The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
    4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
    5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

http://www.harunyahya.com/books/darwinism/transitional/transitional06.php
    Archaeopteryx, which lived some 150 million years ago, is the species animal most often put forward by evolutionists as evidence for evolution. A great many of them suggest that Archaeopteryx is an extinct transitional form, exhibiting both reptile and bird characteristics.

All is going well, right up until...
    However, such modern evolutionist authorities as Alan Feduccia discount this claim as false.

Alan Feduccia is a strong believer of evolution and a palaeontologist. He is of teh belief that the ancestry of birds lies within a group of reptiles that predate the dinosaurs (the orthodox scientific theory is that birds descended from small meat eating dinosaurs). He also thinks the dromaeosaurs (or 'raptors' as they are known in the Jurassic Park movies) are in fact flightless birds who have evolved to look like dinosaurs. Both ideas lack evidence.
    For example, the creature he cited as being the ancestor to birds was called Protoavis. Unfortunately for him, this creature turned out to be an amalgamation of the bones of several different creatures so is not a valid alternative to Archaeopteryx. It's about as valid as a creature made out of Lego. He then proposed a lizard like creature called Longisquama as a possible candidate. It appears to have had tall strange spiny quills on it's back which he thinks precursed flight feathers. Not everyone is convinced though. Most think it was simply a display organ, while newer research suggests it was not part of Longisquama at all, but a nearby fern taht got squashed in with it.
    On the side of the 'birds are dinosaurs' theory many types of dinosaur have bee found with feathers. Earlier, more primitive varieties have primitive feathers which were most likely only used for insulation, while later, more advanced ones had feathers virtually identical to those of flight feathers in birds. In fact the first known feathes appear in dinosaurs, not birds.
    The latest studies on fossils of Archaeopteryx have revealed that this was no transitional form, but a species of bird, with a few features slightly different from those of birds living today.

That is a creationist interpretation of the evidence. Hardly anyone who isn't a creationist (apart from the aforementioned Feduccia and a few others) thinks this.
    Herewith, some evolutionist claims regarding Archaeopteryx as a transitional form, and answers to them:

...and rebuttals to said answers (by me :))
    1. The subsequently discovered breastbone: Until recently, Archaeopteryx was portrayed as having no sternum or breastbone, which lack was put forward as most important evidence that it was unable to fly. (The breastbone lies under the rib cage and is where the muscles essential for flight are attached. All modern-day bird, flying or flightless, and even bats, which belongs to a family very different from birds, have breastbones.)
    The seventh Archaeopteryx fossil discovered in 1992 proved, however, that this argument was false. That fossil did in fact possess the breastbone which up until then, evolutionists had discounted.118
    This discovery removed the fundamental basis of the claims that Archaeopteryx was a semi-bird, and flightless.

That is a complete falsehood. No credible palaeontologist (that I am aware of) ever claimed that Archaeopteryx was not capable of flying. It had long been thought that it was a very awkward flier. The discovery of the breastbone simply showed taht it was more advanced than previously thought.
    2. The structure of its feathers: One of the most important pieces of evidence that Archaeopteryx was able to fly is the bird's feather structure. Its asymmetrical feather structure, identical to that of modern-day birds, shows that it was capable of perfect flight. As stated by the well-known paleontologist Carl O. Dunbar, "because of its feathers [Archæopteryx is] distinctly to be classed as a bird."119
    The paleontologist Robert Carroll offers this explanation on the subject:
    The geometry of the flight feathers of Archæopteryx is identical with that of modern flying birds, whereas nonflying birds have symmetrical feathers. The way in which the feathers are arranged on the wing also falls within the range of modern birds . . . According to Van Tyne and Berger, the relative size and shape of the wing of Archæopteryx are similar to that of birds that move through restricted openings in vegetation, such as gallinaceous birds, doves, woodcocks, woodpeckers, and most passerine birds. . . . The flight feathers have been in stasis for at least 150 million years. . . .120

More or less the same thing as before. The fact that it was a good flier does not change the fact that it is a transitional form.
    3. The claws on its wings and the teeth in its beak: Evolutionists formerly considered the fact that Archaeopteryx had claws on its wings and teeth in its mouth as one of the major proofs that it was a transitional form. Yet these features do not demonstrate any relationship between this animal and reptiles. Two modern-day species of bird, Touraco corythaix and Opisthocomus hoazin, also have claws that help them to cling onto branches. These animals are fully-fledged birds, with no reptilian features. The argument that Archaeopteryx must be a transitional form because it had claws is therefore invalid.

No reptilian features? All birds have scaley feet, a throback to their dnosaur ancestry.In the case of the hoazin, their claws are only useful as juvenilles. As they grow up the claws are less usefull. In Archaeopteryx adults had it too. In the case of the hoazin the claws are on their way to becoming vestigial. Modern emus actually have tiny vestigial claws in their wings (hidden among the feathers) which are no longer of any use to them. In the future, the descendents of emus will most likely lose them altogether.
    Neither do the teeth in Archaeopteryx's mouth make it a transitional form. Evolutionists are wrong to suggest that these teeth are a reptilian characteristic. Some modern-day reptiles have teeth, but others do not. More importantly, species of toothed birds are not limited to Archaeopteryx. Though they are no longer alive today, when we look at the fossil record-at the same period as Archaeopteryx, afterward, or even at very recent history-we find a separate bird group that we may refer to as toothed birds.

Yes other birds had teeth, but guess where they came from? Their dinosaurian ancestry.
    More important is that the tooth structure of Archaeopteryx and other birds is very different from that of dinosaurs, these birds' so-called ancestors. According to measurements by such well-known ornithologists as L. D. Martin, J. D. Stewart and K. N. Whetstone, Archaeopteryx and other birds' teeth are flat-topped and broad-rooted. On the other hand, the teeth of the Theropod dinosaurs, claimed to have been the ancestors of birds, are irregularly topped and narrow-rooted.

It's hardly surprising that birds' teeth would become different over time. Teeth evolve over time just like every other part of an organism. The fact that teeth would evolve to be different in different creatures which inhabited different ecological niches should hardly be surprising.
    The same researchers also compared the wrist bones of Archaeopteryx and its alleged Theropod ancestors, revealing that there was no similarity between them

This statement does not appear to be true. If you compare the wristbone of the dinosaur Deinonychus (left) with Archaeopteryx (right) tehy look very similar indeed.
    180px-Archaeo-deinony_hands.svg.png
    In fact, at a glance it is very hard to tell the difference.
    Similarities between this creature and dinosaurs suggested by John Ostrom, one of the most eminent authorities to claim that Archaeopteryx evolved from dinosaurs, were revealed by such anatomists as S. Tarsitano, M. K. Hecht and A. D. Walker to be false interpretations.123
    4. Archaeopteryx's ear structure: A. D. Walker studied the ear structure of Archaeopteryx and stated that it was the same as that in present-day birds.

Again, I don't see the problem with Archaeopteryx[/i[ having such bird like features. that's kind of the point really.

78.jpg[/COLOR](1) Hoatzin
    (2) Drawing of a theropod dinosaur

I'm not quite sure what this image of a hoatzin chick and an outdated restoration of Gallimimus (a dinosaur which is not considered to be particularly closely related to birds) has to do with current proceedings.
    5. Archaeopteryx's wings: J. Richard Hinchcliffe of the University of Wales Biological Sciences Department used modern isotopic techniques in his study of embryos and established that the three dinosaur digits on the forelimbs are I-II-III, whereas bird wing digits are II-III-IV. This is a major difficulty for the proponents of the so-called Archaeopteryx-dinosaur link.125 Hinchcliffe's research and observations were carried in the famous magazine Science in 1977:
    Doubts about homology between theropod and bird digits remind us of some of the other problems in the "dinosaur-origin" hypothesis.

Fortunately much more research in this field has been accumulated since 1977. The discovery of a dinosaur called Limusaurus has blown this theory out of the proverbial water. You can read all about it here. Long story short, birds and closely related dinosaurs had the same numbered fingers.
    These include the following: (i) The much smaller theropod forelimb (relative to body size) in comparison with the Archaeopteryx wing. Such small limbs are not convincing as proto-wings for a ground-up origin of flight in the relatively heavy dinosaurs.

This is selective comparison at best, casually ignoring the many small bodied but relatively long armed dinosaurs that are known. It is also worth noting that most palaeontologists side with the 'trees down' theory as opposed to the 'ground up' one.
    (ii) The rarity in theropods of the semilunate wrist bone, known in only four species (including Deinonychus). Most theropods have relatively large numbers of wrist elements, difficult to homologize with those of Archaeopteryx.

Interestingly, the ones with similar wrist bones to Archaeopteryx are the ones that were more closely related to it. Of course the majority of dinosaurs which were not closely related to Archaeopteryx were very different. This is very simple stuff. I acn only assume the authors were aware of this but chose to ignore it as it contradicts their position.
    (iii) The temporal paradox that most theropod dinosaurs and in particular the birdlike dromaeosaurs are all very much later in the fossil record than Archaeopteryx.

Actually the earliest dromaeosaurs lived in the middle Jurassic, before Archaeopteryx (which lived in the late Jurassic). A closely related dinosaur called Anchiornis huxleyi lived before Archaeopteryx and even had wing like arms complete with feathers.
    6. Incompatible timing: The incompatible timing identified by Hinchcliffe is one of the most lethal blows dealt to evolutionists' claims regarding Archaeopteryx. In his book Icons of Evolution, published in 2000, the American biologist Jonathan Wells emphasizes how Archaeopteryx was made into an icon for the theory of evolution, even though the evidence showed that it was not a primitive ancestor of birds at all. One of the indications of this, according to Wells, is that the Theropod dinosaurs suggested as the ancestors of Archaeopteryx are actually younger than it:
    But two-legged reptiles that ran along the ground, and had other features one might expect in an ancestor of Archaeopteryx, appear later. 127

As I just stated previously, Anchiornis huxleyi lived before Archaeopteryx and even had wing like arms complete with feathers.
    This all goes to show that Archaeopteryx is not a transitional form, but merely belongs to a separate classification, which may be described as toothed birds. Building a relationship between this animal and theropods is exceedingly inconsistent. In an article called "Demise of the 'Birds are Dinosaurs' Theory," the American biologist Richard L. Deem had this to say about the idea of the so-called bird-dinosaur evolution and Archaeopteryx:
    The results of the recent studies show that the hands of the theropod dinosaurs are derived from digits I, II, and III, whereas the wings of birds, although they look alike in terms of structure, are derived from digits II, III, and IV . . . There are other problems with the "birds are dinosaurs" theory. The theropod forelimb is much smaller (relative to body size) than that of Archaeopteryx. The small "proto-wing" of the theropod is not very convincing, especially considering the rather hefty weight of these dinosaurs. The vast majority of the theropods lack the semilunate wrist bone, and have a large number of other wrist elements which have no homology to the bones of Archaeopteryx. In addition, in almost all theropods, nerve V1 exits the braincase out the side, along with several other nerves, whereas in birds, it exits out the front of the braincase, through its own hole . . . . There is also the minor problem that the vast majority of the theropods appeared after the appearance of Archaeopteryx. 128
    79.jpg
    Confuciusornis
    8.Other ancient bird fossils: Some recently discovered fossils reveal other aspects of the invalidity of the evolutionist scenario with regard to Archaeopteryx.

As stated in my previous rebuttals all of these points have shown to be incorrect.
    In 1995, two research paleontologists from the Vertebrate Paleontology Institute in China, Lianhai Hou and Zhonghe Zhou, discovered a new bird fossil they named Confuciusornis. This bird, 140 million years old, more or less the same age as the 150- million-year-old Archaeopteryx, had no teeth, and its beak and feathers exhibited the same features as modern birds. On the wings of this bird-with its skeletal structure the same as those of birds of today- were claws like those of Archaeopteryx. The structures known as pygostyles, which support the tail feathers, could also be seen.129
    In short, this creature, more or less the same age as Archaeopteryx, regarded by evolutionists as the oldest ancestor of all birds and as a semi-reptile, bore a close resemblance to modern-day birds. This conflicts with the evolutionist thesis that Archaeopteryx is the primitive ancestor of all birds.

False. Confuciusornis lived in the early Cretaceous, a fairly long time after Archaeopteryx (who lived in the late Jurassic.
    I will also point out that palaeontologists do not state that Archaeopteryx is the exact direct ancestor of all modern birds. They do state that something very much like it was. Archaeopteryx might well heve been, but they are not ruling out the posibility of there being other similar (albeit thus far undiscovered) creatures from the same time who might also be good candidates.
    Another fossil, found in China in November 1996, confused matters even more. The existence of this 130 million-year-old bird, known as Liaoningornis, was announced by L. Hou, L. D. Martin and Alan Feduccia in a paper in Science magazine.
    Liaoningornis possessed a breastbone to which the flight muscles cling in modern birds. It was also identical to them in almost all other respects. The only difference was that it had teeth in its mouth. This demonstrated that toothed birds did not possess the primitive structure claimed by evolutionists.130

I addressed the breastbone earlier. I'm not bothered pointing it out again. Why the article can't keep all the related stuff together is beyond me.
    Another fossil which tore down evolutionists' claims concerning Archaeopteryx was Eoalulavis. Some 25 to 30 million years younger than Archaeopteryx, at 120 million years of age, Eoalulavis had the same wing structure as some flying birds today. This proved that creatures identical in many respects to modern birds were flying in the skies 120 million years ago.131
    79b.jpg

A more advanced bird lived after Archaeopteryx? Stop the presses! That is exactly what evolution would predict. I don't see how that damages the case for bird evoultion in any way shape or form. In fact, it only strenghtens it.
    In 2002, Ricardo N. Melchor, Silvina de Valais and Jorge F. Genise announced in Nature magazine that they had found footprints belonging to birds which had lived 55 million years before Archaeopteryx:
    The known history of birds starts in the Late Jurassic epoch (around 150 Myr ago) with the record of Archaeopteryx. . . . ... Here we describe well-preserved and abundant footprints with clearly avian characters from a Late Triassic redbed sequence of Argentina at least 55 Myr before the first known skeletal record of birds.132

Bird and theropod dinosaur footprints are very similar. Who is to say the footprints did not belong to a theropod? Until skeletons are found that match up with the footprints we can only speculate what the footprint makers looked like. It would be illogical to assume that they belonged to birds, which do not appear to have evolved at that point, when they could just as easily belong to theropods which we know did live at the time.
    It was thus definitively demonstrated that Archaeopteryx and other archaic birds did not constitute transitional forms. The fossils did not indicate that different bird species had evolved from one another. On the contrary, they proved that modern birds and certain Archaeopteryx-like species lived together. Some of these birds, such as Confuciusornis and Archaeopteryx, went extinct, and only a limited number came down to the present day.

Actually the evidence (as demonstrated throughout my post) shows Archaeopteryx's reputation as a transitional form to be very much intact.

I do realise that my post is quite long. Unfortunately this is the only way to assure that I was being thorough with my rebuttal (it is important when dealing with misleading claims). I hope I did not become too technical. If anyone wants me to clarify anything feel free to ask (non loaded :P) questions.

It (Intellignet Design) was laughed at by the Scientific community.

I don't think it was 'officially' ruled out because there was no submitted papers to the peer review process.

Then again, it is in no way science, it is religion.
    ...this is what is known as a Catch 22!!!

...it reminds me of a bully I once knew at school ... his favourite trick was to give one of his books to a younger child and he would then blame the child for taking the book and beat him up ... the last person that he pulled that trick on was me ... and put it this way, he didn't do it again ... to me or anybody else!!!:D:):eek:

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ... how about here:-

"Taking the first part of the theory, that evolution has occurred, it says that the history of life is a single process of species-splitting and progression. This process must be unique and unrepeatable, like the history of England. This part of the theory is therefore a historical theory, about unique events, and unique events are, by definition, not part of science, for they are unrepeatable and so not subject to test." Evolution (1978) pp.145-146

... which part of the words "not part of science" in the above quote do you not understand?

ISAW
    Where was ANY of the above in the original quote you supplied?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64455322&postcount=20899

...it was HERE:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64454179&postcount=20878

wrote:
    ISAW
    Furthermore, given the above DIFFERENT quote is saying that unique species splitting in history is not part of science because they are unrepeatable. The explosion of the Heroshima Atomic bomb is unique and unrepeatable since the actual city as it existed at that time is unreplecatable. But that does NOT mean that Atomic Bombs are not repeataBLE NOR DOES IT MEAN that species splitting isn't just that that specific one in history was unique!

The original quote you supplied didn't mention anything about that "unique history" above.
    ...it was HERE:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64454179&postcount=20878

wrote:
    ISAW
    It is NOT a red herring to ask you then why then shouldn't Islam Atheism hinduism or flying Spaghetti mosnter religions have EQUAL timne in schools as you are suggesting!
    Islam, Atheism and Hinduism ALL have their own beliefs ... and tbese beliefs ARE (rightly) EQUALLY respected.

...the ONLY people that the pseudo liberals tolerate advocacy of discrimination against, are Saved Christians, like myself. and Prof Francis Collins

Lu 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
    23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets

From a subjective viewpoint in our lives, a nanosecond may be as good as an instant. However, a "nanosecond" is not an "instant". Just as a "nanolitre" is not the same as "no volume". In fact, in my day to day work, a nano-anything is a relatively large unit of measurement... In physics, it's a lifetime...

As I understand it the main Big Bang theory (which I have problems with due to all the patching and inflation and dark energy etc.) does not go back to time zero but to a plank time after time Zero. In other words we still dont have the physics to explain what happened BEFORE the plank time. so we can only explain the Universe AFTER the beginning and not at zero time.
    As of 2006, the smallest unit of time that was directly measured was on the order of 1 attosecond (10^-18 s) or 0.000000000000000001 seconds
    The Plank time is about (10^-45)
    or 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000053912427 seconds after the Big Bang.

Ok it isn't zero but it is close to it!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by monosharp
    Your very much correct in saying science and religion can co-exist, but not when your a YEC.

Originally Posted by J C
    ...it is Atheism and Christianity that have NOTHING in common ... indeed it is also true that Atheism and science cannot co-exist ... when the atheists hold to ideas like Pondslime 'lifting itself up by it's own bootstraps' to become Man ...
    ... the four year olds that they plan to brainwash with this stuff probably wouldn't even believe it!!!!!!

iUseVi
    ...the Atheists can give it ... but they can't take it!!!:eek:

...and the thread is good for your spiritual health!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

... eh ... em ... could you even begin by DEFINING 'evolution' for me ...

The scientific definition has been given to you more times then I can count and you have done 1 of 2 things with it. Ignored it, claimed that's not the correct definition.
    .... and a definition that holds some potential to account for the astronomical CSI transition from 'Pondkind to Mankind' would be welcome ... to save your embarassment for Evolution ... and my embarassment for YOU!!!:eek::)

CSI is creationist nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

...this accounts for the 'genetic drift' observed WITHIN Created Kinds ... using pre-existing CSI ... but it doesn't explain how the mega-bits of CSI could arise spontaneously...in order to 'evolve' Chlamydia into Carpenters!!!:eek::D

CSI has been disproven as junk maths by the scientific community and by people here many times to you.

You didn't even defend it the last time someone debunked it, you ignored the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement