Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa wasn't removed from my passport leaving New York. What do I do?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I recently went to Orlando on holidays. We connected through JFK on the way home. Our passports weren't checked on entering the airport or before we boarded the plane home. I had never travelled to the US before and nobody told me that the green visa that was stapled to our passport had to be handed over. I assumed they would have asked for it or it would be taken back off us if necessary on landing in Dublin.

I have since been told that holding on to this in my passport will cause trouble on all other flights now. One of the members of our party that was travelling with us is going to Faro in 2 weeks and 2 more flying to Paris in 3. I am now worried our flights will be affected because of this.

Can anyone advise me what to do now?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

This has happened to me too..... it's nothing to worry about, but it is your responsibility to fix.

Usually they take it from you at check in when leaving the US, but on this occasion both me and the check in girl were 1/2 asleep, so I didn't see it until about a week later when I was using my passport again.

This was around 2004, and at that time I just posted it back to the department of homeland security and never heard about it again. I was back in the US about 6 weeks later and entered without any problems.

Since they have now have the electronic whole pre-approval process for visa waivers there may a new address or procedure in place, so it might be best to call the US embassey, or have a look at the DHS website for current information.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

OK, found the address & some more info too.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/i94.html

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU
    1084 South Laurel Road
    London, KY 40744

To validate departure, the CBP will consider a variety of information, including, but not limited to:

•Original boarding passes you used to depart the United States;

•Photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport indicating entry to another country after you departed the United States (you should copy all passport pages that are not completely blank, and include the biographical page containing your photograph.), and photocopies of other supporting evidence, such as:

•Dated payslips or vouchers from your employer to indicate you worked in another country after you departed the United States;

•Dated bank records showing transactions to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States;

•School records showing attendance at a school outside the United States to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States;

•Dated credit card receipts, showing your name, but, the credit card number deleted, for purchases made after you left the United States to indicate you were in another country after leaving the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This happened to me flying home from JFK with Delta. I sent all the info as requested in the post above this to that address in Kentucky and it was sorted. They don't acknowledge your paperwork but i've been back numerous times since with no problems.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have since been told that holding on to this in my passport will cause trouble on all other flights now. One of the members of our party that was travelling with us is going to Faro in 2 weeks and 2 more flying to Paris in 3. I am now worried our flights will be affected because of this.

Your flights to anywhere outside the USA will not be affected :)

Follow the instructions above, however!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I didn't have mine removed when I went in 2009. After reading the following, I didn't do anything and successfully entered and left in January 2010.

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=752&p_created=1077641280&p_sid=9VyH5fGh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDcmcF9wcm9kcz0yMywzMiZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTIuMzImcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    Question
    I did not turn in my I-94 when I left the U.S., what should I do?

Answer
    If you returned home with your Form I-94 (white) or Form I-94W (green) Departure Record in your passport, it is possible that your departure was not recorded properly.

If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help expedite your reentry next time you come back to the United States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

just looking at my passport now and the same story the green slip is still there. from the above comment it seems i dont have to do anything? is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

keithg89 wrote: »
    just looking at my passport now and the same story the green slip is still there. from the above comment it seems i dont have to do anything? is this correct?

Well it didn't stop me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Happens a lot - it happened to me last year and I ignored it. Believe me they know that you have left. The slip is supposed to be phased out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lisamp

Thanks everyone.
    One less thing to worry about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement