Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread!

So I have never tried E&C wings (:eek:) i know, but I absolutely LOVE eddie rockets wings.

Are they the same? I have a feeling that the Franks Hot sauce may be a bit hot for me, as I prefer that moreish bbq flavour.

If there is a difference what is it, and how do I recreate Eddie Rockets wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I just thought I'd add my method - after a few tries, this recipe makes wings as close as I've tasted to E&C's. Adapted from recipe in post #7. They're really good.

Chicken Wings, 800g pack
    Butter/Connacht Gold, 3-4 tablespoons
    Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce (Superquinn), 3-4 tablespoons
    White Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon

Use a 15ml tablespoon measure, if using an actual spoon be generous as most aren't 15ml.

Deep fry the wings (skins on) for 10-12 minutes, depending on size, at 180C in clean oil. In a frying pan, melt the butter completely on a low temp, add the white wine vinegar. This will curdle the butter - it will clump together. This gives the coating a batter-like look and texture. Add the sauce, stir to evenly distribute the butter for a few minutes. Add the wings, and turn each one to coat all sides. Shake the pan gently to coat evenly. Leave them in the pan for a few minutes to the sauce coating dries out a little.

Serve with Crème Fraiche as a cooling dip. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i find melting the butter with the franks (original, not the wing sauce, its manky by comparison) on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, has the same effect of clumping it together a tiny bit to help it stick to the wings.

for anyone afraid (or unwilling) to fry their wings, there's a very interesting article on the various methods of baking wings to get the optimal results HERE.

oddly enough, resting in the fridge overnight coating in baking powder appears to do the job as far as crispiness and browning are concerned, so if you're the sort who likes to bake rather than fry, it might be worth giving it a go. :)

A buffalo wing is a piece of skin-coated, bone-in chicken fat that's deep-fried and doused in butter before being dipped in mayo, blue cheese, and sour cream. It's fat on fat on fat on fat on fat on fat on fat.

Hmm. Won't be having these every weekend then. We cooked this recipe again for guests, and if you leave the wings in the oven for an hour or so rather than serve them straight from the pan, the flavour changes completely. They're still tasty, but the "zing" is gone. Not the same at all.
    Is taking one of those fats out of the equation really going to make a difference? Unlikely.

Frying. Your only man.

PS: Excellent article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

vibe666 wrote: »

for anyone afraid (or unwilling) to fry their wings, there's a very interesting article on the various methods of baking wings to get the optimal results HERE.

Great article! I'm tried the baking thing the other night, two reasons - I don't have a deep fat fryer & less fat. They were still pretty good tbh! Will have a good look at this article. God, I'm drooling already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Kimia wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread!

So I have never tried E&C wings (:eek:) i know, but I absolutely LOVE eddie rockets wings.

Are they the same? I have a feeling that the Franks Hot sauce may be a bit hot for me, as I prefer that moreish bbq flavour.

If there is a difference what is it, and how do I recreate Eddie Rockets wings?

The Eddie Rocket wings sauce is Blenders Southwestern Chipotle sauce ;-)

The wings are also fried twice. Once to give them some color, at which point they are taken & left to cool & then stored. They are then taken out as needed, & fried again. The sauce sits in a bain-marie at the side of the grill, the sauce is then put into a 'bain-marie' bucket that is kept atop the grill, so you've had a few people's sauce usage throughout the course of the day on your wings, then said wings are put in bowl, served with blue cheese sauce (also from Blenders) - voila.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I used to work for ER - anything you need to know, ask.

ven0m wrote: »
    p.s. I used to work for ER - anything you need to know, ask.

Does it get annoying listening to the same 1950s songs over and over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

eightyfish wrote: »
    Does it get annoying listening to the same 1950s songs over and over again?

After a while, you don't even pay attention to the fact the same **** is playing over & over & over & over & over & over & over ....... :D:D:D

But, the ability to make your own triple burger for your lunch is awesome :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Big Blue restaurant/burger bar in Howth do great wings, pretty close to the recipe if not the same as elephant and castle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The steam drying idea sounds good, might work even better using a pressure cooker, it will probably render/liquify the oil a bit better, at 15psi it is at 121C. I remember I pressure cooked skinned fillets ages ago and lots of goo came out. You could vent the pressure cooker when done so when opened up the fat in them could still be well past 100C and so drive off the moisture pretty well when removed.

• Advertisement

mine have evolved way past just wings now, i've been editing it and adding to my method since day one and I'm not at a stage where I'm just buying a whole chicken and chopping it up into managable pieces, marinating it for 48 hours in buttermilk (24 hours won't do the job, needs the full 48 hours, but seriously, any chicken you can do this with will blow you away, it's the only way to go) coating in 3/4 plain flour & 1/4 cornflour mix with a teaspoon of smoked paprika and pepper, then deep fried and tossed in franks original cooked out with a knob of butter. I don't see me ever just cooking wings ever again.

i used to love E&C wings and 4 years ago i would have given them 10/10 every time, but since i started experimenting with my own franks sauce, they've slipped way down and i'd be pushed to give them a 5/10 now in comparison to the above. not (just) blowing my own trumpet, the missus would murder ye for it too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I dont like their wings....to much of a salt and vinegar thing going on...no great depth of flavour....but i guess thats what ye like.
    Eddies wings arnt great....but then Eddies is rotten anyways.
    At the end of the day its just a bottle of sauce with some butter...not realy rocket science.

I would sugest to forget the bottle of Franks Sauce and start experimenting with fresh ingredients instead....you will find something far superior...and it will be yours.

Ohh and cook them at 160ish.....when they start to lift take them out for a minute ot two to let the oil heat up again and then drop them in again till golden and crispy.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    At the end of the day its just a bottle of sauce with some butter...not realy rocket science.
    Agreed, have a read of the link below, it is FAR more complicated than rocket science!
    there's a very interesting article on the various methods of baking wings to get the optimal results HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

have not had a chance to read through all the thread but if nobody has mentioned the chicken wings from the Venue in Strandhill, sligo all I can say is

NYOM NYOM NYOM NYOM

I would drink the sauce from a mug of i could its that good!!

Way better that elephant and castle, empty pockets. Only one that comes close was The porterhouse but still nowhere near as good!!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

sorry but porterhouse ones are mank:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

rubadub wrote: »
    Agreed, have a read of the link below, it is FAR more complicated than rocket science!

Holy crap, that's good. Thanks!

For the people skimming, I'd recommend it again:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html

I would sugest to forget the bottle of Franks Sauce and start experimenting with fresh ingredients instead....you will find something far superior...and it will be yours.
    have you actually tried properly cooked wings with Franks sauce on them?

as it happens, I do actually make the vast majority of what I cook from fresh ingredients and I do have my own recipe for a sticky bbq sauce that goes very well on both wings and ribs and both prove very popular, but I'm not fool enough to put them up against franks and if we have people over I tend to just keep my own sauce for the ribs and let the Franks do the talking on the wings although I do sometimes leave a few wings for the bbq sauce just in case there's someone there who isn't a fan, but I do know when I'm onto a losing battle. :)

there IS a very good reason why Franks been the secret ingredient in the original Buffalo wings for the last 45 years and it's also the reason this very thread has gotten over 4 times as many posts than ANY OTHER (non-stickied) thread in the F&D forum here.

granted, there has been the odd poster here and there that doesn't like them, but by and large, for most people you really can't get better than buffalo wings made (and made correctly) with Franks Ret Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce.

done right, you really can't beat the flavour, but equally, if they are done wrong (and I've had it done wrong more than once) it can be almost inedible so make sure you have them done right if you're going to have them. ;)

Just back from dunnes cournelscourt, franks original redhot €1.99 said it is on until 03/03/10 standard 12oz bottle. The other wing sauce was on offer too think the same price.

I got a twin pack of ready cooked O'Kane chickens, its €7 for the 2 of them, 1.5kg in total, that sounds like a very small chickens and they are small but if you cook a 1.8kg chicken I expect it reduces down to ~1.5kg. I have one in the oven now cut up to heat & crisp quicker and will try the franks on it. I don't like cleaning up all the fat after normal chicken.

I got a twin pack of ready cooked O'Kane chickens, its €7 for the 2 of them, 1.5kg in total, that sounds like a very small chickens and they are small but if you cook a 1.8kg chicken I expect it reduces down to ~1.5kg. I have one in the oven now cut up to heat & crisp quicker and will try the franks on it. I don't like cleaning up all the fat after normal chicken.
    nice one, i do the same now. read back about my trick of marinating the chicken for 48 hours in buttermilk before cooking. it's a killer having to wait so long for it before you can cook it, but if you try it and it wasn't worth the wait, i'll buy you a new chicken. :D

read back about my trick of marinating the chicken for 48 hours in buttermilk before cooking.
    Sounds good, I saw Nigella Lawson soaking turkey overnight to moisten it, but just in water. I have made mince with franks and poured it on chips like taco chips, very nice.

Next on my list before a full chicken or wings is just fried chicken breasts, I will do the buttermilk soak with them, have to get buttermilk tomorrow for my pancakes, they taste much better made with buttermilk.

EDIT: forgot to say my chicken turned out great, never had E&C ones before, but it was my first time making the franks with butter. The skin crisped up nicely, though my oven does get very hot, I had them on full for 35mins.

• Advertisement

you really need to do the buttermilk soak for 48 hours though, i've tried it for 24 and although it's better than no soakage at all, you really do need the full 48 for it to work properly.

also, another thing i do to use up the leftover buttermilk (and my flour/cornflour coating for frying) is to mix up a batch of batter and make fresh onion rings out of it, they're much better than anything you'd find in any chipper. not sure if you could oven cook those though, they're probably just a fryer option but well worth doing if you ever get a chance. :)

you really need to do the buttermilk soak for 48 hours though,
    I've been reading a bit on the soaking, seems it tenderizes the meat, some say lemon juice does it too, I know Chinese soak in lemon juice. Also some make "faux buttermilk" by adding lemon juice to regular milk.

I am thinking I can get 10 fillets for €10 in the butchers and chop them up finely and freeze them loosely. Then to defrost I can soak in butter milk so they defrost quicker and soak at the same time. I think the finely sliced chicken will soak up quicker due to higher surface area.

I like the onion ring idea, it would be a waste of milk otherwise. But I have no frier -this sounds odd to many but I make onion pancakes, if you think about it they are really just flat onion rings in batter, sort of like onion bhajis if you add curry powder in too.

But I have no frier -this sounds odd to many but I make onion pancakes, if you think about it they are really just flat onion rings in batter, sort of like onion bhajis if you add curry powder in too.
    sounds good to me, whatever works! :)

just (sort of) found a new quick and easy use for franks.

bought a roast chicken and pulled all the meat off it and chopped it into small bite sized chunks and then tossed it in a little hot melted butter and franks in a frying pan for 3-4 minutes and then added it to some nice wraps with grated mature cheddar cheese, shallots, sweetcorn and taco sauce (which my local supervalu are now doing in a squeezy bottle ;)).

dead easy, very quick to make and DAMN tasty to boot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Because you have absolutely nothing with labels on in your kitchen. :rolleyes:

broin wrote: »
    Because you have absolutely nothing with labels on in your kitchen. :rolleyes:
    i think it's just a case of someone who doesn't know any better thinking (mistakenly) that they do. :)

but he hasn't been back since, so i think he's already got the message. :p

in case anyone is in any doubt though, franks IS the single best and original buffalo wings sauce and it can't be beaten if you do it right. 45 years as THE buffalo wing sauce to use has more than proved that at this stage i think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Elephant & Castle Buffalo sauce

3rd cup of franks

4 knobs of butter

and 2 knobs of Light Philadelphia cheese

splash of white vinegar

heat up bring to boil and then 15 mins under grill

Super i tell thee Super

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Bump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Merged with the main Elephant & Castle Chicken Wing thread.
    Pot wrote:
    Bump

Not sure why you need to bump a thread already at the top of the forum...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pot wrote:
    Elephant & Castle Buffalo sauce

3rd cup of franks

4 knobs of butter

and 2 knobs of Light Philadelphia cheese

splash of white vinegar

heat up bring to boil and then 15 mins under grill

Super i tell thee Super

Do you boil the wings in the sauce?

Advertisement