Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed Ramps

• 09-02-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭

hello - not sure if this belongs here but I will put it in and if it needs to be moved please do.
    Question - would someone know the laws behind placing speed ramps on a public road/highway. Is there a law to say that you need to have 300 meters of a clear run between ramps? Is there any specified ramp heights etc? I would like to know if I can ask my local council to install ramps on a nearby road that suffers greatly from speeding cars both day and night time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Yes there are specifications for speed ramps.

I also would love someone to post the definitive specs once and for all, so we can complain to our idiotic local authorities about their illegal implementations.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

OK - did a lot of searching and found a law from 1988 which looks to fit the bill. My local council say they cant put in ramps unless the road is 300 meters +. The road in question is only about 200 meters but according to the law its perfectly ok to put ramps on the road.

SECOND SCHEDULE Section says
    There shall be a distance of at least 20 metres and not more than 200 metres between any two ramps on any roadway.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0032.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, I can think of quite a few ramps around the country that are in direct contravention of a lot of that: ramps on unlit roads, on roads with "a speed limit exceeding 30 miles per hour", ramps with pedestrian crossings on them, in excess of 10centimeters high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Rovi wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, I can think of quite a few ramps around the country that are in direct contravention of a lot of that: ramps on unlit roads, on roads with "a speed limit exceeding 30 miles per hour", ramps with pedestrian crossings on them, in excess of 10centimeters high.

Also the exemption "a road on which an omnibus service operates" seems to be ignored, unless Dublin Buses are not "an omnibus service"..

Advertisement