Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

papachango wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    A new carzone scam, for me anyway, is here. Its in the form of an email from 'classifieds@carzone.ie' offering Garmin 5012 GPS Receiver for €2.99.
    Surely they could have been a bit more believable... €3 for a GPS receiver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Lads,
    Has anyone come across or used this site? www.irishvehicletraders.com
    My little sister had money burning a hole in her pocket. She found an ad in the Herald, a guy selling a 2002 Beetle for €1700, they are up on carzone for around €6500. Anyway, he's a Dutch student who now lives in Ireland and moved to the UK to go to college and needs cash. Anyway, this company handle the transaction for you. You transfer the money, the car is delivered and you have 7 days to declare satisfaction with it and then they release the cash to the seller. Can't find any history of them on the web or on their website. No stories, nothing. I know you are saying if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Anyway, any help or comments greatly appreciated.
    GF.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

walk away!
    very fast!

In my view that site is a complete scam!
    Whois info...

Thought as much but she wouldn't listen! Lets hope she hasn't lost her money. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

kbannon wrote: »
    walk away!
    very fast!

In my view that site is a complete scam!
    Whois info...
    Ouch, registered at an apartment in the US, contact email is a randomly-generated Gmail name... Same whois information for irishautopayments.com which adds to the dodginess factor. Careful now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bolldog56

BODY { MARGIN: 8px } .LW-yrriRe { FONT: x-small arial } it is not a scam as I used this service to buy a car on autotrader.ie and the seller suggested it. I used it and everything went fine so, guys before saying scam about it, you should verify it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

bolldog56 wrote: »
    BODY { MARGIN: 8px } .LW-yrriRe { FONT: x-small arial } it is not a scam as I used this service to buy a car on autotrader.ie and the seller suggested it. I used it and everything went fine so, guys before saying scam about it, you should verify it first

and before sending out a bot you should check it works properly first..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dabear

I used this website myself for a bike purchase and they are good, so use it with confidence but....let the seller pay for it because its quite expensive:D

SV, excuse my ignorance but what is a bot? Dabear/Bolldog56 when did you use this site to buy? There is no history attached to the company at all, no registered VAT number, nothing. Despite having the AA, ebay, autocheck and Gumtree logos on the bottom of their websites, they have no allegiance to any of them and none of the above listed companies have any record of or ever had any dealings with them, they too are also investigating the unauthorised use of their logos on a website. I have also contacted the Gardai, the Fraud Squad and Revenue.ie so we should know fairly soon if they are genuine or not.

The odds are stacked heavily against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dabear

I used this company two weeks ago why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

dabear wrote: »
    I used this company two weeks ago why?

10 posts and all scam related.:rolleyes:

Dabear, the company was only set up on the 8th January 2010 and you used them two weeks ago? How did you find out about them? Can you verify you used them with documentation? Your own account was only set up in January too and the only correspondance you have had with anyone is related to Fraud activity. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just stating facts and the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SV wrote: »
    and before sending out a bot you should check it works properly first..

lol he got pwned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mc Love wrote: »
    Same happened me! Only ever check out the Dealer car ads!

nothing wrong with private adds, i bought 4 cars so far from carzone.ie and all from private adds: clk200, mx5 etc...

If you checking out private adds which sell 07 cars for 1keu, and then complain that they are all scams, then there is something wrong with you, and you should send your money to those Nigerian guys yourself and say thank you, that you are such an dumb*ss.

not reference directly to you bud ( before you hang me here), just alot of people dont use theyr brains ar all.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If i saw a good private sale I would consider it, but wouldnt be sure about getting a private sale from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Lads,
    Has anyone come across or used this site? www.irishvehicletraders.com
    My little sister had money burning a hole in her pocket. She found an ad in the Herald, a guy selling a 2002 Beetle for €1700, they are up on carzone for around €6500. Anyway, he's a Dutch student who now lives in Ireland and moved to the UK to go to college and needs cash. Anyway, this company handle the transaction for you. You transfer the money, the car is delivered and you have 7 days to declare satisfaction with it and then they release the cash to the seller. Can't find any history of them on the web or on their website. No stories, nothing. I know you are saying if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Anyway, any help or comments greatly appreciated.
    GF.

I replied to an ad in the Indo last week for a 2002 Passat for €2500. Your man wanted to use a "escrow" company called www.irelandcartrader.com.

He had the exact same story as above. No sh!ttin ye. Almost word for word!!
    Your man send maybe 7 or 8 e-mails back answering all my questions and letting me know he's sick to have to sell the car but needs the money etc etc. Had me going for a while I must admit. :o

The company was only set up 2 weeks ago to a US address. I mean www.irelandcartrader.com and www.irishvehicletraders.com!?!? 2 companies only set up 2 weeks ago to an apartment in the US.

Your man I was dealing with was looking for money transferred to a Barclays account.

Steer well clear folks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Charlie Meadows

Quick question

As a private seller, are there any particular scams I need to look out for involving cash buyers?

A particular buyer wants to meet in person and is offering to negotiate a cash sale (although I assume this can be a bank draft). He hasn't rang me from a hidden number or anything like that so there's no immediate alarm bells.

Apologies if this has been dealt with previously but unfortunately I don't have time to go through 58 pages of threads as hoping to close a deal this evening!

Quick question

As a private seller, are there any particular scams I need to look out for involving cash buyers?

A particular buyer wants to meet in person and is offering to negotiate a cash sale (although I assume this can be a bank draft). He hasn't rang me from a hidden number or anything like that so there's no immediate alarm bells.

Apologies if this has been dealt with previously but unfortunately I don't have time to go through 58 pages of threads as hoping to close a deal this evening!

Just to add to the post above, I met with the potential buyer this evening (in a North County Dublin village). He was with his brother and we drove down to his brother's friend's house (a mechanic supposedly) and he checked the engine out. We then took the car for a test drive and afterwards we haggled on a price.

The buyer offered me cash there and then but I said I would prefer a bank draft, which he said he could pick up tomorrow morning at his bank and drive into Dublin city to meet me and finalise the transaction. He saiid he would text me on the bank draft details so I could verify it.

Does anyone think there's anything to be worried about the transaction? Would I be better taking cash or the bank draft? If I wanted to worry myself, I could mention that the supposed mechanic didn't spend too much time looking at the car and didn't come on the test run. The buyer also seemed very eager to complete the deal very quickly. On the flipside, he did haggle me down to a very reasonable price and he didn't particularly come across as a shady person.

Input appreciated!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

not everyone is a scammer, this guy just sounds like he knew what he wanted and your car fitted the bill. If he's willing to give you the draft details, then ring the bank with them to verify them. Also, check that the details given are the same as those on the draft he gives you.

Tbh, i wouldn't be too worried about it. Congrats on selling the car.

Thanks for the input. We've since agreed that it would be just as easy to meet at the bank and to the transaction there so I guess you are right, he is not a scammer; end of internal debate. I'm generally an over-trusting person myself so I just got a little paranoid on this occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Batesy wrote: »
    I replied to an ad in the Indo last week for a 2002 Passat for €2500. Your man wanted to use a "escrow" company called www.irelandcartrader.com.

He had the exact same story as above. No sh!ttin ye. Almost word for word!!
    Your man send maybe 7 or 8 e-mails back answering all my questions and letting me know he's sick to have to sell the car but needs the money etc etc. Had me going for a while I must admit. :o

The company was only set up 2 weeks ago to a US address. I mean www.irelandcartrader.com and www.irishvehicletraders.com!?!? 2 companies only set up 2 weeks ago to an apartment in the US.

Your man I was dealing with was looking for money transferred to a Barclays account.

Steer well clear folks. :)

a woman was on Joe Duffy yesterday with something along the same lines, she said she was looking to buy a car from a lad who was a student in the UK etc but he quoted a website very similar (but not identical to) irishcartrader which he said would handle the transaction...anyway, the eejit got burnt.
    I get mad when I hear of these fools being stung and whinging about it, they were trying to be cute hoores in the first place expecting to get a car at an unbelievably low price and when it goes wrong they cry foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The title of this thread would indicate that carzone are scamming people... I'd watch the choice of words used, especially since the posts don't relate to carzone.

Regarding those escrow companies, they're a total scam. I still can't believe people fall for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ripped off bad

Hey everyone, my wife bought a car from the above dealers in Kilmainham last year for 15000 and ended up spending a further 2000 just to keep it running. The garage owner didnt want to know and when I brought the car back this week he offered me 4000 on a trade in for it. I thought perhaps he would do the decent thing but he didnt. While I was in the garage waiting to see if he would turn up another man came in with a car he had bought 3 months ago and was having exactly the same problems. Funnilly enough the cars came with no service history. The sales reps just refered us both to the boss and wouldnt talk to us. I think there is a trend here !!
    So for all those on the look out for a cheap car... dont go here....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

steve06 wrote: »
    The title of this thread would indicate that carzone are scamming people... I'd watch the choice of words used, especially since the posts don't relate to carzone.

Regarding those escrow companies, they're a total scam. I still can't believe people fall for them!

true.. but i assume like boards.ie.. carzone are liable for content on ther website... so if they are allowing scam artists to post scams on their website... does that not mean they are in some way liable???

Hey everyone, my wife bought a car from the above dealers in Kilmainham last year for 15000 and ended up spending a further 2000 just to keep it running. The garage owner didnt want to know and when I brought the car back this week he offered me 4000 on a trade in for it. I thought perhaps he would do the decent thing but he didnt. While I was in the garage waiting to see if he would turn up another man came in with a car he had bought 3 months ago and was having exactly the same problems. Funnilly enough the cars came with no service history. The sales reps just refered us both to the boss and wouldnt talk to us. I think there is a trend here !!

Sorry I doubt you Brother Rabbitte but that's a serious accusation, especially for your first post ever on boards.ie. Care to back it up in anyway before it gets deleted?

P.S. And what's it got to do with escrow scams?

The only reason I came on here is to warn people about this happening. I was really hard done by and am simply preventing others from being ripped off too. Its an honest truth my friend. And if I were to say Wilson Picket was going to show up.... he would.!

The only reason I came on here is to warn people about this happening. I was really hard done by and am simply preventing others from being ripped off too. Its an honest truth my friend. And if I were to say Wilson Picket was going to show up.... he would.!

On a fcuking Suzuki?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

I can not believe someone would pay €15K for a car with no service history. I might part with that much if it was a 7 Series BMW or S Class Merc & only a few years old with high miles. I wouldn't touch any dealer cars as they have huge mark up on the vehicles!!! They slap this huge mark up on because they offer you a guarantee which Joe Soap private trader can't do.

I've no idea where you'd stand if you tried to take it to court saying he sold you a lemon. I'd imagine the Judge would have to leave the room to change his pants after wetting himself. He'd throw it out in an instant saying you were careless & should have asked for service history etc.

If I were you I'd see if the mileage can be verified. If it was tampered with then this might be your only hope of taking legal action!

On the other hand. 2 posts doesn't really get you much if any sympathy in here as you could be just trying to bad mouth or tarnish someones reputation. I'm not saying you're doing that, but that's how it would look to most people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:

we wonder why conmen come up with craay scams...... because theres one born every minute
    im in the car trade 20 years and let me tell you a secret , there is no honest car dealers in ireland , fact .

heres a few pointers when buying a car.
    1 . if a car has a service history ring the garage which serviced it there on the spot and quote service reference to him.
    the garage will be only to happy to let you know if they really serviced it.
    NEVER BELIVE THE STAMP IS ENOUGH.

2 . dealers will bite your hand off for a sale , according to the value and year of the car use the display price as a guide only. (personally i could easily drop a price by 2,500 euros.)

3. dealers are not your friend there your enemy , there there to screw the last cent out of you, dont be afraid to walk away as you will find that 90% of them will ring you back by end of day.

4.never trust mileage on a car , even a car that a few months old , clocking is rampant in the irish industry and even honest dealers are being caught out by this.

but my main piece of advice to any one buying a car for 15k is do a full AA check on it , to ensure you and your familys safety .also piece of mind for your investment .

this is just friendly advice from a new boards member.
    good luck.

• Advertisement

I would of course have looked for a full car history and indeed worked on a better price but the truth of it was I was working abroad for 6 months and my wife bought the car as a surprise for me thinking she was doing a nice thing. Her inexperience was exploited for sure and in the end we learned a very valuable lesson. My story is totally true and no I am not just here to slate the dealer,BUT... these guys ARE con artists.. I told the owner that as I will have to borrow more money to buy a new car that I will have nothing else to do with my time other than to tell people about the treatment we got from his garage from day 1. Its not as if I can afford to go out or holiday this year.. I will end up having spent almost 20,000 in the last year and a half and ended up with a 2005 toyota to show for it. I bought it in a decent garage.
    Surly its not a bad thing for me wanting to expose them... AND I WILL.

Advertisement